New Tire Time: For realsies this time.

Started by Raza , October 16, 2009, 02:42:18 PM

The Phantom

Quote from: Raza  on May 03, 2010, 03:17:43 PM
I just saw them as well.  At that price, I'm seriously considering them. 

I had a buddy go to his buddy at the tire place and tell him I can get them for $104 plus shipping.  The tire place pretty much matched the price with installation and tax.

Not saying you can or can't do that, but definitely look into the tires.  They're Max Performance.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on May 03, 2010, 07:58:24 PM
Those Dunlop Direzza's that I posted earlier are awesome.  Much better then the Continental ContiSportContact3 that came with my car.  Very very impressed, and I paid $462 for all 4 mounted and balanced.

The Direzzas are summer only, though, right?  I'm not ready to go that route.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on May 04, 2010, 10:57:16 AM

Correct.

Have you looked at the Kumho Ecsta ASX?  It's a pretty decent tire, and priced well.  I was happy with them. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: The Phantom on May 03, 2010, 08:23:52 PM
I had a buddy go to his buddy at the tire place and tell him I can get them for $104 plus shipping.  The tire place pretty much matched the price with installation and tax.

Not saying you can or can't do that, but definitely look into the tires.  They're Max Performance.

The tires I'm looking at are Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (W), a new line, apparently.  They're Ultra High Performance A/S tires that don't have the best treadwear rating (360, though I'm told that number is not that important since it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer) but at $89 a pop, it's not so bad. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on May 04, 2010, 11:03:25 AM
Correct.

Have you looked at the Kumho Ecsta ASX?  It's a pretty decent tire, and priced well.  I was happy with them. 

I've thought about them, but generally the best thing I've ever heard about Kumhos is that they're cheap. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Raza  on May 04, 2010, 11:03:31 AM
The tires I'm looking at are Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (W), a new line, apparently.  They're Ultra High Performance A/S tires that don't have the best treadwear rating (360, though I'm told that number is not that important since it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer) but at $89 a pop, it's not so bad. 

Just pulled the trigger.  I'm having them shipped directly to the recommended installer, too, so I'll have them on the car by the end of the week. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Hey, that's cheap. I had Sumitomos HTR something's on my old Civic, and it did good. Won a few autocrosses, anyway, and they didn't chunk like my Falkens.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 04, 2010, 11:34:37 AM
Hey, that's cheap. I had Sumitomos HTR something's on my old Civic, and it did good. Won a few autocrosses, anyway, and they didn't chunk like my Falkens.

Yeah, it's not bad.  $89 per tire, $41 shipping, and $30 per tire for install. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20213.msg1320431#msg1320431 date=1272995379
Yeah, it's not bad.  $89 per tire, $41 shipping, and $30 per tire for install. 
$30 a tire for install???  I paid $12.50 a tire.  That's a pricey install.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20213.msg1320400#msg1320400 date=1272992236
Yeah, but for the price of the Direzzas here in Canada, I can buy a set of Direzzas and a set of winters in the US.  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT666 on May 04, 2010, 12:11:23 PM

Yeah, I just paid $55 for four tires mounted and balanced with new valve stems, and disposing of two tires. $30 each is crazy.

SVT666

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 04, 2010, 12:13:52 PM
Yeah, I just paid $55 for four tires mounted and balanced with new valve stems, and disposing of two tires. $30 each is crazy.
It's beyond crazy.  It's a total ripoff is what it is.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on May 04, 2010, 12:11:23 PM

$20 for mount and balance.  $5 for TPMS.  $2 for the valve stems.  $3.50 for the disposal fee. 

It does seem a bit pricey, but when I had that blowout a year or so ago, the install was like $22 at a Sam's Club, so this didn't seem out of line. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on May 04, 2010, 01:29:14 PM
$20 for mount and balance.  $5 for TPMS.  $2 for the valve stems.  $3.50 for the disposal fee. 

It does seem a bit pricey, but when I had that blowout a year or so ago, the install was like $22 at a Sam's Club, so this didn't seem out of line. 

Walmart does the mount, balance, valve stem and disposal for $15 each, and TPMS varies. I'm not saying you should go to Walmart, but maybe shop around a bit.

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 04, 2010, 01:47:01 PM
Walmart does the mount, balance, valve stem and disposal for $15 each, and TPMS varies. I'm not saying you should go to Walmart, but maybe shop around a bit.

Too late for that.  I shipped it straight to them through TireRack.  They're a recommended installer and they're 5 minutes from my house.  They called and confirmed already. 

I'll eat it this time, I guess. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on May 04, 2010, 02:40:11 PM
Too late for that.  I shipped it straight to them through TireRack.  They're a recommended installer and they're 5 minutes from my house.  They called and confirmed already. 

I'll eat it this time, I guess. 

Eat it!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 04, 2010, 01:47:01 PM

I just got 8 wheels done at Firestone for $142.

The Phantom

Most places charge more to mount low profile tires.  Mine were about $100 for the installation, $25 per tire.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

SVT666

Quote from: The Phantom on May 04, 2010, 09:12:34 PM
Most places charge more to mount low profile tires.  Mine were about $100 for the installation, $25 per tire.
Mine are Z-Rated 45 series 17" tires and it was $12.50 per tire.

r0tor

same here... its gets pricier at most places when you get into the 18"+ range.  I paid a few more bucks per tire because I went to a quality shop that I knew wasn't going to scratch the shit out of my wheels (i've heard many horror stories and my mechanic friend even refused to do it at his shop because their machines dont treat 18's very nicely)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Yeah, it is more because they're 45s. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT_Power

I went to a local tire shop (they're known to be cheapest around, and I went with a guy who's been going to the shop for years so they give him awesome prices), asked about a set of the Ventus v12 Evo or whatever they're called, he wanted about $850 taxes in and everything included. TR has the same tires for $92/tire I think. As much as I want to give him my business, this is ridiculous.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 05, 2010, 06:40:48 PM
I went to a local tire shop (they're known to be cheapest around, and I went with a guy who's been going to the shop for years so they give him awesome prices), asked about a set of the Ventus v12 Evo or whatever they're called, he wanted about $850 taxes in and everything included. TR has the same tires for $92/tire I think. As much as I want to give him my business, this is ridiculous.
That's why I went acrosss the border.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20213.msg1321245#msg1321245 date=1273100853
Yeah, it is more because they're 45s. 
Mine are 45s too.

Eye of the Tiger

The Phantom

When I looked at the list of installers from Tire Rack, most of them charged a good $10 more per tire for low pros.  Maybe it's an American thing.

SVT666

Quote from: The Phantom on May 05, 2010, 08:28:12 PM
When I looked at the list of installers from Tire Rack, most of them charged a good $10 more per tire for low pros.  Maybe it's an American thing.
I got mine installed in the US.  I think he's being charged $30 a tire because he didn't buy the tires from them.  But even up here in Canuckistan I only pay $18 a tire and I didn't buy the tires from them either.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on May 06, 2010, 09:14:11 AM
I got mine installed in the US.  I think he's being charged $30 a tire because he didn't buy the tires from them.  But even up here in Canuckistan I only pay $18 a tire and I didn't buy the tires from them either.

The standard fee is $15--they list the price breakdown on the website so you can look before you choose an installer.  It's $20 because they're low profile, and then TPMS adds to the cost.  Disposal and valve stems are going to be at any place. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20213.msg1321618#msg1321618 date=1273168856
The standard fee is $15--they list the price breakdown on the website so you can look before you choose an installer.  It's $20 because they're low profile, and then TPMS adds to the cost.  Disposal and valve stems are going to be at any place. 
I've never had to deal with TPMS before so that could very well be the reason.