New Tire Time: For realsies this time.

Started by Raza , October 16, 2009, 02:42:18 PM

Raza

It's time for new tires soon, and I want to find something that's good all around for a decent price.  Tire size is 225/45/17.

Right now, I'm looking mostly at the Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grids.  

Also, a friend of mine runs General Exclaim UHPs on his M3; ultra high performance summer tires.  He runs them in the winter too, and says he has no problems.  He swears by them.  Any info?

All suggestions welcome guys.  I won't be able to run a second set of wheels and snow tires this year, so consider that please.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

I've been interested in the Generals for a while, but lack of the load rating I want has caused me to cross them off my list.  They seem like a good tire though.  I mounted a set of truck tires back in the Summer and was impressed with the construction and lack of balancing required.

Raza

Per Tirerack:

The Exclaim UHP is General Tire's Ultra High Performance Summer tire that was developed for the drivers of sports cars, coupes and sedans. While meeting minimum tread design standards to be "M+S" branded, the Exclaim UHP is designed to provide high levels of traction, response and control in dry conditions, along with superior hydroplaning resistance in wet conditions. We do not suggest Exclaim UHP tires be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Exclaim UHP uses a 2nd generation, ultra high performance silica compound molded into a directional tread design that features wide, solid shoulder tread blocks and a high-tech contour to combine responsive handling with dry traction. Its Double-V directional tread pattern enhances wet performance. Together, the tread compound and design help sweep water away from between the tire?s contact patch and the road to improve wet grip while reducing the possibility of hydroplaning. The tire?s internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound jointless nylon on top of polyester body plies to combine responsive handling and cornering stability with high-speed durability.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Yeah, your friend might have good luck with it in the snow but if you want an all-season tire I'd look elsewhere personally.  Unless of course you want to get a set of steelies with snows mounted to them.  That way you have the best of both worlds, tire-wise.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on October 16, 2009, 03:13:25 PM
Yeah, your friend might have good luck with it in the snow but if you want an all-season tire I'd look elsewhere personally.  Unless of course you want to get a set of steelies with snows mounted to them.  That way you have the best of both worlds, tire-wise.

He's running an E46 M3; if he doesn't have problems, I don't know why I would.  I ran through some of the reviews, and many of them mentioned that they have surprising grip in the wet.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

I thought we already agreed on Potenzas
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: NACar on October 16, 2009, 03:20:08 PM
I thought we already agreed on Potenzas

Yeah, I was set on them, but my friend with the M3 keeps pushing Generals.  And they're $27 cheaper per corner.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on October 16, 2009, 03:18:42 PM
He's running an E46 M3; if he doesn't have problems, I don't know why I would.  I ran through some of the reviews, and many of them mentioned that they have surprising grip in the wet.

Do whatever you think is best.  I just prefer to run snows in the winter and summers or at least more three-season oriented tires in the summer.  A lot of it would depend on how bad the snow days are where you're at, and whether you're allowed to call in due to weather.

Eye of the Tiger

Get snows and summers like they do in your car's homeland.

rohan

I've recommended before and stand by it 100%- Continental Extremecontact.  WE're running them on all our patrol cars now from Nov. until snow goes away. Excellent snow tire in disguise of a performance tire.  I think the ones we run are W rated but I can't remember. 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Raza

Quote from: rohan on October 18, 2009, 02:35:28 PM
I've recommended before and stand by it 100%- Continental Extremecontact.  WE're running them on all our patrol cars now from Nov. until snow goes away. Excellent snow tire in disguise of a performance tire.  I think the ones we run are W rated but I can't remember. 

I'll look into those as well.

Does anyone know about Hankook R-S2s?  They're on closeout because they've been replaced, and they're $78 a corner.  Another friend recommends them highly. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Summer's around the corner, which means a good 5 months of clear weather.

Also, my passenger front was flat as the midwest this morning and I spent Sunday night hydroplaning down the turnpike, so I really do think it's time.  The Generals are out, I'm leaning towards something Bridgestone or Continental.  I'll be buying this week (possibly tomorrow, depending on how well Fix-a-Flat holds up through the day today).  Suggestions?  Price isn't that much of an issue, but I'd like to be under $130 a tire. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: EtypeJohn on April 27, 2010, 06:35:16 AM
Look at Yokohamas

After my experience with my Advan S4s I'm going to have to disagree with that.

I love the tires, but despite having them balanced and re-balanced several times (3 different balancers) they have a minor vibration that comes and goes and changes slightly, but they are never 100% smooth. I even had two of them replaced under warranty and still have the issue.

Next time its probably going to be one of the Potenzas for me.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

r0tor

S-Drives or P-Zero Nero's would be a good all season choice...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on April 27, 2010, 07:36:33 AM
S-Drives or P-Zero Nero's would be a good all season choice...

Are Pirellis really worth it?  They look to be $140+ on TireRack (and of course installation is going to be like $80 on top of that), and I know they're very exotic sounding and all, but are they worth the premium over Bridgestones or Continentals?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Byteme

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on April 27, 2010, 07:16:29 AM
After my experience with my Advan S4s I'm going to have to disagree with that.

I love the tires, but despite having them balanced and re-balanced several times (3 different balancers) they have a minor vibration that comes and goes and changes slightly, but they are never 100% smooth. I even had two of them replaced under warranty and still have the issue.

Next time its probably going to be one of the Potenzas for me.

Don't know what to tell you.  I've never had a problem in the 3-4 sets I've bought in the past 5-6 years.

The Pirate

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

I've heard very good things about this tire.  As of two months ago, it is available in my car's tire size, so that's what I'll be likely getting.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: EtypeJohn on April 27, 2010, 11:27:06 AM
Don't know what to tell you.  I've never had a problem in the 3-4 sets I've bought in the past 5-6 years.

I don't doubt you for a second, just that my experience has soured me on the brand as a whole.

The only good thing that has come out of the experience was that I finally found a tire shop where the guys aren't hacks.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

SVT_Power

I've been looking at the General UHP's as well. Seems like a good bang for your buck and IIRC, the treadlife rating on those is a lot higher than anything else in its price range (in terms of summer/performance tires)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

The Phantom

Check out the Sumitomo HTR Z III.  I'm considering them for my Goat, and they're just a tad over $100 per tire from Tire Rack, plus shipping.

Tire Rack gave it a really good review.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

Byteme

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on April 27, 2010, 02:08:57 PM
I don't doubt you for a second, just that my experience has soured me on the brand as a whole.

The only good thing that has come out of the experience was that I finally found a tire shop where the guys aren't hacks.

That in itself is a major achievement these days.   :ohyeah:

Raza

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on April 27, 2010, 02:08:57 PM

I'm the same way with Michelins.  I've never had a good set, but I know people who swear by them. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CJ

Quote from: The Pirate on April 27, 2010, 11:30:23 AM
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

I've heard very good things about this tire.  As of two months ago, it is available in my car's tire size, so that's what I'll be likely getting.

Some friends of mine have them on their C70.  Excellent tires, they say.

The Phantom

Quote from: Raza  on April 27, 2010, 03:35:54 PM
I'm the same way with Michelins.  I've never had a good set, but I know people who swear by them. 

Yeah, I've never had a bad set (even the stockies on the Acura), but they cost too much.  Same with Bridgestone, although they're a bit less expensive.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

Eye of the Tiger

1. Don't put fix-a-flat in your tire unless it's a real emergency...
2. Potenzas

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 27, 2010, 03:56:34 PM
1. Don't put fix-a-flat in your tire unless it's a real emergency...
2. Potenzas

How 'bout dat green slime shit???????????

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 27, 2010, 04:03:19 PM

Meh. If you're changing tires, it's basically mandatory for shops to replace your in-wheel TPMS sensors, but all that gooey slimey shit may really fuck them up in the mean time.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 27, 2010, 04:03:19 PM

good for bikes.

Cars are not bikes.
Will

The Pirate

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 27, 2010, 08:26:46 PM
good for bikes.

Cars are not bikes.

No, no.  The mechanic at the LBS will hate you if you use slime in your bike tires and he has to change a flat (as will happen eventually).  If you change them yourself, then it's cool.  But that crap is stanky when it's been inside a tube and it gets everywhere.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.