?Fifth Gear? headed to the crusher

Started by SVT666, October 19, 2009, 01:31:24 PM

SVT666

Long running British show ?Fifth Gear? headed to the crusher
10/19/2009, 3:14 PMBY MARK KLEIS

It was nearly a decade ago that car enthusiasts around the world were shocked to see the BBC cut Top Gear from its lineup, and it was then that Fifth Gear was born. Fifth Gear was originally intended to be a no frills alternative to Top Gear ? focused more on the delivery of automotive comparison and review.

Over the years Top Gear reasserted itself as the benchmark by which all automotive review television shows were to be measured. Great personalities from the likes of host personality Jeremy Clarkson, and his sidekicks James and Richard kept viewers coming back for laughs, entertainment, and the occasionally the actual review of the automobiles themselves.

By contrast, Fifth Gear stayed true to its roots as a no-nonsense show focused on truly testing and reviewing cars and sharing their findings with the audience. If you wanted to relax and be entertained, then Top Gear may be your calling. But if it is a straight-to-the-point, fact based comparison of automotive competitors you wanted, then Fifth Gear was the show for you.

Now, after a sixteen year run it appears as if Fifth Gear?s failure to reach the top thirty programs on the network may have finally sealed its fate. In reply to an e-mail from AUSmotive.com?s editor, Channel Five stated, ?Five is proud of Fifth Gear?s contribution to the channel but after 16 series, feels it?s time to try something new.?

At this time there is no official word on whether or not the ?new? program will feature either Jason Plato or Tiff Needell, both revered for their undeniable abilities behind the wheel.

Vinsanity

That's a shame.

In my perfect world, Tiff and VBH would team up with some American personality (Corolla? Pastrana?) to do American Top Gear. I know it's been tried and never got off the ground, but I'm in agreeance with the idea that the show was never well-suited for American network TV. It would be a great fit for the Discovery Channel.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 19, 2009, 01:39:23 PM
That's a shame.

In my perfect world, Tiff and VBH would team up with some American personality (Raza?) to do American Top Gear. I know it's been tried and never got off the ground, but I'm in agreeance with the idea that the show was never well-suited for American network TV. It would be a great fit for the Discovery Channel.

That sounds great.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Good riddance. When they reduced Vicky's part, the show went downhill. Vicky and Tim were very dynamic, and their personalities were very contrasting. Vicky was the giggling idiot (in a good way) and Tim was a bit more serious and straightforward. When that new guy was added, the show was less dynamic. Then more segments were added, making the entire show feel rushed.

Onslaught

For some reason I never really liked the show all that much.

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on October 19, 2009, 02:55:26 PM
For some reason I never really liked the show all that much.

Well, better than all the american version tv car review shows.. but it's in the same boring fashion.  It used to be so much better but current ones felt like season one of the current Top Gear with the fat guy before they introduced May,... yawn...

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on October 19, 2009, 02:59:37 PM
Well, better than all the american version tv car review shows.. but it's in the same boring fashion.  It used to be so much better but current ones felt like season one of the current Top Gear with the fat guy before they introduced May,... yawn...
All the American ones suck. What's that one called "Motor News" or something? Do they ever bash a car on that show?

SVT666

Fifth Gear has too many presenters, too many segments, and not enough hilarity.

2o6

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 19, 2009, 03:07:35 PM

I think last season (series) had the right amount of factual information and humor. Sort of a Top Gear "lite" of sorts.

ifcar

Quote from: Onslaught on October 19, 2009, 03:01:22 PM
All the American ones suck. What's that one called "Motor News" or something? Do they ever bash a car on that show?

Motorweek?

CJ

Quote from: 2o6 on October 19, 2009, 02:40:32 PM
Good riddance. When they reduced Vicky's part, the show went downhill. Vicky and Tim were very dynamic, and their personalities were very contrasting. Vicky was the giggling idiot (in a good way) and Tim was a bit more serious and straightforward. When that new guy was added, the show was less dynamic. Then more segments were added, making the entire show feel rushed.

Not Tim, TIFF.  Tim was the new guy that sucked.  Johnny was pretty cool.

2o6

Quote from: CJ on October 19, 2009, 03:30:12 PM

Not Tim, TIFF.  Tim was the new guy that sucked.  Johnny was pretty cool.

The most recent season?

Crap. I meant Tom, not Tim. Tim sucks.

CJ

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on October 19, 2009, 03:10:53 PM
Motorweek?

I spent the better part of an entire weekend once watching old car reviews from that show on youtube. The dude on that show does not age AT ALL.

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 19, 2009, 03:37:03 PM
I spent the better part of an entire weekend once watching old car reviews from that show on youtube. The dude on that show does not age AT ALL.

It's pleasant and informative, if it is very boring.

NomisR

Quote from: 2o6 on October 19, 2009, 03:37:58 PM

It's pleasant and informative, if it is very boring.

Because they don't throw the cars into oversteer and then say the car sucks and needs more power.   You get a closeup shot of them drively slowly around the Streets of Willow for most cars and that's about it.  Fun...

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 19, 2009, 03:07:35 PM

That's just it -- other than Tiff and Vicky, I have no idea who anyone is on that show.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on October 19, 2009, 03:43:38 PM
That's just it -- other than Tiff and Vicky, I have no idea who anyone is on that show.

Tom is pretty good. So is Jonny. The rest can go.

93JC

They only ever needed Tiff, Vicki and Tom.

CJ

TBR

Quote from: NomisR on October 19, 2009, 02:59:37 PM

In its current guise it's barely better than Motorweek, etc. At least MW doesn't try to be entertaining and fail.

NomisR

Quote from: TBR on October 19, 2009, 04:09:41 PM
In its current guise it's barely better than Motorweek, etc. At least MW doesn't try to be entertaining and fail.

There's even a segment about how to save fuel now?   And they're serious about that segment too.. I've only seen a couple shows recently.. and have since then stopped.

Morris Minor

Quote from: ifcar on October 19, 2009, 03:10:53 PM
Motorweek?
Motorweek is a great show if you like witnessing brownosing in action.

Discovery HD Theater has many car-related shows now. Some of them are pretty good. http://dhd.discovery.com/
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 21, 2009, 07:06:01 AM
Motorweek is a great show if you like witnessing brownosing in action.

It's been about 3 years since I watched Motorweek.  Our local PBS affiliate carried it on Sunday mornings along with "My Collector Car" and another collector car show out of California.  I don't recall any blatent brown nosing on Motorweek in the past. It this recent?

93JC

Quote from: CJ on October 19, 2009, 03:56:48 PM
Though Johnny was a good addition. 

I don't even know who he is. I don't care to remember. Like I said, they only ever needed Tiff, Vicki and Tom.

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on October 21, 2009, 08:31:21 AM
I don't even know who he is. I don't care to remember. Like I said, they only ever needed Tiff, Vicki and Tom.
Tom is useless.  He can't drive and he's not funny.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

She will get a show of her own that consists of nothing but driving and squealing.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

sportyaccordy

Quote from: r0tor on October 21, 2009, 10:52:02 AM
What will happen to Vicki????  :cry:
She's in my kitchen butt naked baking biscuits.

Car review shows can only work when there's no downside to the hosts legitimately bashing the cars. If they get press cars from a manufacturer and bash it, the manufacturer won't let them have any more.