GT5 versus Forza 3

Started by Eye of the Tiger, November 01, 2009, 10:39:18 AM

What do you guise think is the better awesome cool ultimate driving simulator game for a guy who has not the time or money to do these things in real life?

GT5
9 (75%)
Forza 3
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Onslaught

Quote from: Payman on November 01, 2009, 03:14:40 PM
Full list of Forza3 cars here:

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/ForzaMotorsport3/Carlist.aspx

Thank God they put the NA Miata back in it.

Forza is as "realistic" as GT. Not that any game is realistic if you ask me. You can turn all the assist stuff off as I do.
And if you're using a standard controller (you shouldn't) to play these games then the 360 is 8 million times better.
It has true analog buttons for gas and brake. PS controllers suck ass and suck even harder for racing games.

2o6

Quote from: Onslaught on November 01, 2009, 03:35:54 PM
Thank God they put the NA Miata back in it.

Forza is as "realistic" as GT. Not that any game is realistic if you ask me. You can turn all the assist stuff off as I do.
And if you're using a standard controller (you shouldn't) to play these games then the 360 is 8 million times better.
It has true analog buttons for gas and brake. PS controllers suck ass and suck even harder for racing games.

The PS3 has triggers.

Not as good, though.

Onslaught

Quote from: 2o6 on November 01, 2009, 03:38:52 PM

The PS3 has triggers.

Not as good, though.
Not near as good. Sega came out with those triggers on the Saturn 3D pad and X-Box copied that. It works very well for things like that.
Sony's buttons stink.

Payman

Last year I bought a used PS2 and a copy of GT4 to bring overseas with me. I couldn't enjoy the game with the suckass controller. Even with the other games I had that I played on 360, like Splinter Cell, the contoller was nowhere a good as the 360's.

Onslaught

Quote from: Payman on November 01, 2009, 03:55:07 PM
Last year I bought a used PS2 and a copy of GT4 to bring overseas with me. I couldn't enjoy the game with the suckass controller. Even with the other games I had that I played on 360, like Splinter Cell, the contoller was nowhere a good as the 360's.
I hate the PS controller. And I'm talking full on hate. It is the most uncomfortable controller I've ever used. Everyone thinks they are so great and I can't figure out why.
I wanted Sony to use that boomerang looking prototype one they showed when the PS3 was first show.

Rupert

Quote from: Payman on November 01, 2009, 03:10:37 PM
Forza3 has Ferrari and Porsche, if I'm not mistaken, GT5 offers neither.

I think GT is supposed to have Ferrari and Lamborghini... I just looked it up. :lol:

Anyway, I dunno. GT4 has a good selection of older and weirder cars (Ginetta G4!), so maybe GT5 will preserve that. It looks like Forza is pretty modern car heavy.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

I'm surprised that Sony hasn't revisited the fundamental design of their controllers. Most, if not all, games use joysticks, but the design of the controller puts the directional pad in the most comfortable position.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Payman on November 01, 2009, 02:47:53 PM
:hesaid:

If and when you decide, for goodness sakes spring for a force feedback wheel/pedal setup.

I do not like these things because they require huge setups like Mpower made out of scrap wood.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

Quote from: Onslaught on November 01, 2009, 03:58:04 PM
I hate the PS controller. And I'm talking full on hate. It is the most uncomfortable controller I've ever used. Everyone thinks they are so great and I can't figure out why.

Z0MG +1
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Quote from: NACar on November 01, 2009, 04:14:33 PM
I do not like these things because they require huge setups like Mpower made out of scrap wood.

Not really.  I had a great setup with a chair, a table and a TV.  They were designed to be usable like that, very very few people do what SVT_Power did.

Payman

Quote from: 565 on November 01, 2009, 05:21:18 PM

Not really.  I had a great setup with a chair, a table and a TV.  They were designed to be usable like that, very very few people do what SVT_Power did.

I had that too with my old Xbox, but the problem is that you have your weight on the pedals, and mine broke after a few weeks.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Payman on November 01, 2009, 05:50:38 PM
I had that too with my old Xbox, but the problem is that you have your weight on the pedals, and mine broke after a few weeks.

Speaking of breaking stuff, don't Xboxes have a knack for dying randomly and often?
On the other hand, my PS2 is about 8 years old, has been dropped, kicked, spilled on, etc, and still works, albeit with a few extra buzzes and missing trim.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Payman on November 01, 2009, 05:50:38 PM

My wheel is molded to be on your lap and has two drop-down things to keep in stable. The pedals just go on the floor a couple feet away, where I can reach them but not put my weight on them too much. Works out very well.

Payman

Quote from: NACar on November 01, 2009, 05:54:52 PM
Speaking of breaking stuff, don't Xboxes have a knack for dying randomly and often?
On the other hand, my PS2 is about 8 years old, has been dropped, kicked, spilled on, etc, and still works, albeit with a few extra buzzes and missing trim.

First gen machines, Xbox and Xbox 360, had issues. Now they seem as reliable as the Sony consoles.

Onslaught

Quote from: NACar on November 01, 2009, 05:54:52 PM
They had like a 48% fail problem. They say that the new ones don't have the overheating problems but I'll believe it when I see it.
Just make sure it has air going over it and it's not in a hot place.

Rupert

I need to go dig my PS2 + GT4 out of storage...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT_Power

Quote from: 565 on November 01, 2009, 05:21:18 PM

:praise:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BimmerM3

Quote from: Payman on November 01, 2009, 03:10:37 PM
Forza3 has Ferrari and Porsche, if I'm not mistaken, GT5 offers neither.

It's been awhile since I've looked into it, but IIRC, GT5 got Ferrari, Lambo, and Porsche on board.

Laconian

I would love to hear an insider story about why GT couldn't get any of those brands despite being the top selling racing game of all time. There's gotta be some great drama in that tale.

Rich

I'm holding out for GT5, I think there will be more cars in each race, and I like all of the old used cars

I wish they'd let you choose the cars you compete against in the quick/single type races and add more of an SCCA/NASA feel to the games
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HotRodPilot on November 01, 2009, 07:39:52 PM
I'm holding out for GT5, I think there will be more cars in each race, and I like all of the old used cars

I hope the AI improves instead of just following the same line no matter what. Does Forza have good AI?

68_427

GT5... I already have a PS3.  I did play one race on the FM3 demo with the California and the Tires had WAY too much grip.  It was ridiculous.  Also the way cars drift seems fake-ish.  It's way too easy to hold a nice slide around the racing line compared to even GT5P.

Quote from: NACar on November 01, 2009, 07:41:46 PM
I hope the AI improves instead of just following the same line no matter what. Does Forza have good AI?

In videos from the Tokyo Motor Show the AI appears to get nervous as you begin to reach their bumper.  Also they try not to punt you from behind and also make mistakes.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Quote from: 68_427 on November 01, 2009, 07:44:53 PM
GT5... I already have a PS3.  I did play one race on the FM3 demo with the California and the Tires had WAY too much grip.  It was ridiculous.  Also the way cars drift seems fake-ish.  It's way too easy to hold a nice slide around the racing line compared to even GT5P.
Turn down the noob dials and have another go at it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on November 01, 2009, 07:44:53 PM
GT5... I already have a PS3.  I did play one race on the FM3 demo with the California and the Tires had WAY too much grip.  It was ridiculous.  Also the way cars drift seems fake-ish.  It's way too easy to hold a nice slide around the racing line compared to even GT5P.

That is exactly what Im worried about. Did you have the assists off?

68_427

Yes.  Even Anti-lock brakes.  But I should keep those on next time because I either don't apply enough pressure or apply too much and lock up all four tires.   :facepalm:

The best advice I can give you is to go to a game store like Gamestop etc and try it for yourself.  If you decide to buy it make sureyou buy the Forza 3 LCE.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: NACar on November 01, 2009, 07:41:46 PM

YES.

SVT_Power

r0tor

i never lived the xbox controller because while using the triggers for brake/ga was great, it left me with no good buttons to shift with
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

Here's my take on both:

GT5:
Pros: better graphics, worth the wait.
Cons: Release date to come after return of Alfa, sub 3000# RWD mainstream sedan, etc.

Forza:
Pros: Available, not that bad
Cons: looks nowhere as good as GT5.

2o6