New car ponderings.

Started by MX793, November 20, 2009, 02:10:59 PM

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on November 27, 2009, 02:50:05 PM
Unless you're going to buy it.. or you have something better at home.. I wouldn't.. because you'll end up thinking about it all the time until you breakdown and buy it.  :lol: 
The local dealer has a 2010 at full price. I want to drive it and see how I like it compared to a normal RX-8. If I like it then a dealer about an hour and a half down the road still
has a 2009  for much less. If I get one then that will be it.

I'm not telling these people that today.

Onslaught

The R3 didn't ride harsh at all. It's firmer than the last 05 RX-8 I took for a spin but nothing too harsh.
The sound from that motor just gets me going. In my head I know it's a "slow" car. But it feels fast to me for some reason. Perhaps a combination of the relative low weight and the rev happy motor. Or perhaps it's because I just gout of a 20 year old MX-5 that really is slow.
It's the closest thing to having a Miata that actually has some space in it. I've got room to heel and toe the 8 and it's impossible for me to do it in my Miata. I'm just too tall and my feet are too big. And I love the short throws of the 6 speed. Mazda has always got that right in my book.

The only problem is the Recaro seats. I'm 6'4" tall and 178 pounds and fit perfectly in them. But I fear that on long drives or having my fat friends in the car they could be a little too much. And I know my girlfriend wouldn't like them for more than 3-4 hours. I also think it would be difficult for her to give me head with those high side bolsters. I wish you had more adjustments to them. I'd probably pick up a set of used original 8 seats off ebay for long drives if I got the R3.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm sorry, but are you actually thinking of anyone other than yourself when making this purchase decision?

Unreal, go buy a one seat ex formula race car and make your girl friend take the bus and tell your friends to get screwed.

Onslaught

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 27, 2009, 05:34:47 PM
Gonna buy it?
I want it rather bad now. I've got the money saved up but I wish work was going a little better right now.

I'll be thinking very hard about this for days.

NomisR

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 27, 2009, 05:37:51 PM
I'm sorry, are you actually thinking of anyone other than yourself when making this purchase decision.

Unreal, go buy a one seat ex formula race car and make your girl friend take the bus and tell your friends to get screwed.

I think the main reason he wants to change the seats is just so he can get a BJ while he goes on a road trip... totally understandable.. 

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 27, 2009, 05:37:51 PM
I'm sorry, are you actually thinking of anyone other than yourself when making this purchase decision.

I'm also thinking of me. I love everything about the R3 over the standard 8. But I think the seats are just a little too much for anything over 3 hours of driving.
I'm not a kid anymore and I can't take shit like that.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: NomisR on November 27, 2009, 05:40:41 PM
I think the main reason he wants to change the seats is just so he can get a BJ while he goes on a road trip... totally understandable.. 

So compimise your driving experience for a BJ, that's what they make rest stops for. Pullover, BJ, get back in the car and enjoy those wonderful seats.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on November 27, 2009, 05:41:52 PM
I'm also thinking of me. I love everything about the R3 over the standard 8. But I think the seats are just a little too much for anything over 3 hours of driving.

Here's your answer

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

NomisR

Pussy.. I've driven 3 hours in my Elise with the loud ass exhaust with my suspension set for a track day..  if I can do it. you can too! 

But I must say.. BJs in a moving car isn't really a great idea.. just think.. hitting a bump and her mouth snaps close.......   I don't think a surgery can put your amputated digits back in place in one piece.. and what if she swallows it.. 

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 27, 2009, 05:46:36 PM
Here's your answer
Bite me. I've been cramming my tall ass into a little harsh riding car for over 12 years now. I'm no Toyota pussy.
I just wish that the R3 seats had a little adjustment on the side. I really don't think most Americans could fit in them.

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on November 27, 2009, 05:50:22 PM
Pussy.. I've driven 3 hours in my Elise with the loud ass exhaust with my suspension set for a track day..  if I can do it. you can too! 

But I must say.. BJs in a moving car isn't really a great idea.. just think.. hitting a bump and her mouth snaps close.......   I don't think a surgery can put your amputated digits back in place in one piece.. and what if she swallows it.. 
Here's the thing. I've already got a harsh riding toy. I'm not getting rid of the Miata ever. I'm actually going to load it up with even more performance parts after I get another car. So I'm looking for something fun and sporty with some more room in it but not as harsh. The R3 is exactly what I'm looking for but I'm not in love with the seats.I'd rather have them in my MX-5 to tell you the truth.  They will not be a deal breaker however.

CALL_911

I want to drive an R3 sometime. I love it.

Is it true that you need to put some oil in an RX-8 every 3 gas fillups?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Onslaught

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 27, 2009, 06:32:50 PM

You should probably check it that often. Some people say they have to put it in all the time. Others say it's not near that bad.
Others premix oil also. They even make some just for RX cars.

I think Mazda should have an oil reservoir on the fire wall rather than using engine oil to burn in the thing. It could have a light on the dash telling you when you needed to fill it up.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm sure you could find someone who would trade your R3 seats for standard 8 grand touring seats even up.

They will also think you are nuts but that's another story.

I'm a large guy and I found my evo seats to be awesome and very comfortable. Personally I think you would be amazed after living with them for awhile.

If you can't handle it then there is always the camry, and i'm not being an ass by mentioning it. You could get they SE, those are pretty hot little numbers.

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 27, 2009, 06:53:41 PM
I'm sure you could find someone who would trade your R3 seats for standard 8 grand touring seats even up.

They will also think you are nuts but that's another story.

I'm a large guy and I found my evo seats to be awesome and very comfortable. Personally I think you would be amazed after living with them for awhile.

If you can't handle it then there is always the camry, and i'm not being an ass by mentioning it. You could get they SE, those are pretty hot little numbers.
I hate FWD. That's why I only have a few cars to pick from that fill my needs.

FlatBlackCaddy

My sarcastic remark about my previous sarcastic remark was meant as sarcasm.

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 27, 2009, 10:29:00 PM
My sarcastic remark about my previous sarcastic remark was meant as sarcasm.
Must turn on my sarcasm detector.

NomisR

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 27, 2009, 06:32:50 PM

Depends on how you drive it.. if you're hitting the redline every shift, yeah, every 3 gas fillups. 

When I had it.. it took about 1/2 quart every 2500 mile. 

Checking the dipstick was a bit of a pain though.

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on November 27, 2009, 06:37:22 PM
You should probably check it that often. Some people say they have to put it in all the time. Others say it's not near that bad.

I think Mazda should have an oil reservoir on the fire wall rather than using engine oil to burn in the thing. It could have a light on the dash telling you when you needed to fill it up.

There's a low oil light that comes on

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on November 27, 2009, 11:37:43 PM
Depends on how you drive it.. if you're hitting the redline every shift, yeah, every 3 gas fillups. 

When I had it.. it took about 1/2 quart every 2500 mile. 

Checking the dipstick was a bit of a pain though.

It's not as bad anymore. They put a little pop off cover on the engine main cover so you can get to it without taking stuff off.

CALL_911

Didn't you have an RX-8 at some point, Onslaught?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on November 27, 2009, 06:37:22 PM

That would be every other week for me.

Well, in an RX-8, that would be every week for me. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 28, 2009, 12:01:46 AM
Didn't you have an RX-8 at some point, Onslaught?
For a very short period of time. I'm a magnet for very old men to slam into my cars.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Onslaught on November 28, 2009, 06:46:24 AM
For a very short period of time. I'm a magnet for very old men to slam into my cars.

At least you can pin it down to a specific demographic. I've had 3 different age groups of both sexes slam into my cars :mask:

Onslaught

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 28, 2009, 10:26:23 AM
At least you can pin it down to a specific demographic. I've had 3 different age groups of both sexes slam into my cars :mask:
Every car I've had with the exception of me MX-3 has been hit. My B2000 got hit around 9 times I think. The only panel not new or made out of bondo was the roof by the time I sold it. And not one of them have been my fault.

SVT666

I hear ya.  That's why I'm strongly considering the G35 or G37 Coupe for my next car rather then a Mustang or GTO.  I just don't think I could do with the V8 rumble. 

Laconian

Quote from: Onslaught on November 28, 2009, 11:05:11 AM
Every car I've had with the exception of me MX-3 has been hit. My B2000 got hit around 9 times I think. The only panel not new or made out of bondo was the roof by the time I sold it. And not one of them have been my fault.
That's odd, the B2000 looks nothing like a farmers' market.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)