2011 Mustang GT 5.0

Started by Payman, December 26, 2009, 08:42:47 PM

SVT32V

Quote from: SVT666 on June 09, 2011, 09:39:37 AM
2013 Shelby GT500 will be using a twin turbo 5.0L V8.
beautiful, lighter 5.0 with TT, presumably high compression/DI and better mileage.

any link?

GoCougs

The speculation is coming from spy shots alleging an air-to-air intercooler(s) in the grill. If true such a thing does point to turbo charging as such intercooling doesn't jive with a direct-engine mount supercharger. I don't think it can be said it's an air-to-air intercooler though.

Until I see something official from Ford I call shens. Retooling to this extent a low-volume version of the Mustang in its last year of production seems like a lost cause. Plus, I'm just not seeing the 5.0L as a warrantable 600 hp+ motor.

Byteme

Interesting convertible comparison test in the latest Road and Track.  Turns out the Mustang GT is a better car than the Camaro SS once all the test numbers are in.    The results were close, but the porky Camaro wound up the Bride's Maid.

S204STi

Woah son.... :mask:

68_427

Yeah I'm not really believing it right now either.  I think its definitely a Turbo Mustang, maybe a step under the Boss when it comes to track worthyness which might explain the GT500 chassis with SVTpp.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Shut up about this "twin-turbo" nonsense. It's ECOBOOST. It's environmentally friendly! :rage:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on June 09, 2011, 01:09:53 PM
Yeah I'm not really believing it right now either.  I think its definitely a Turbo Mustang, maybe a step under the Boss when it comes to track worthyness which might explain the GT500 chassis with SVTpp.
A step under the Boss is the GT.

thewizard16

A good friend just picked up a brand new Mustang GT Premium (pretty much loaded- black leather, HIDs, 19" dark stainless wheels, brembos, color changing lighting and gauges, etc.) 5.0 with the 6 speed manual and 3.73 axle ratio in that dark metallic blue color. It's very nice, and I'm just a little bit jealous.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

r0tor

Umm... Superchargers use intercoolers just likes turbos do
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on June 10, 2011, 08:52:59 AM
Umm... Superchargers use intercoolers just likes turbos do

Direct engine-mounted superchargers do not/cannot use air-to-air intercoolers...

SVT666

With Ford going with turbos on everything else, why not the GT500?

MX793

Ford has all but explicitly told the press that the next GT500 will NOT be turbocharged.  They're sticking with a supercharger.

That said, who says the mule in the pictures is a test mule for the GT500?  Ford may well be testing a turbocharged motor for a different trim of Mustang (perhaps a turbo-4 to slot beneath the V6?)
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on June 10, 2011, 09:53:46 AM
Direct engine-mounted superchargers do not/cannot use air-to-air intercoolers...

What the fuck is a direct engine mounted supercharger?

I can easily find twin screw superchargers with air to air intercoolers...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

hotrodalex

Quote from: MX793 on June 10, 2011, 07:06:35 PM
Ford has all but explicitly told the press that the next GT500 will NOT be turbocharged.  They're sticking with a supercharger.

That said, who says the mule in the pictures is a test mule for the GT500?  Ford may well be testing a turbocharged motor for a different trim of Mustang (perhaps a turbo-4 to slot beneath the V6?)

Or it could be for a different car all together.

edit: Eh, nevermind. That's probably unlikely since it's a GT500 mule. If it was just a regular mustang it could be more of a possibility.

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on June 10, 2011, 07:13:19 PM

A blower bolted straight to the intake manifold, as many roots and lysholm superchargers are.  A front-mounted, air-to-air intercooler isn't exactly practical.  It's something I'd expect more on a centrifugal blower setup or, if a twin screw, one that doesn't mount the blower on the top of the engine.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Wrong:

Quote from: r0tor on June 10, 2011, 07:13:19 PM

Right:

Quote from: MX793 on June 10, 2011, 07:24:46 PM
A blower bolted straight to the intake manifold, as many roots and lysholm superchargers are.  A front-mounted, air-to-air intercooler isn't exactly practical.  It's something I'd expect more on a centrifugal blower setup or, if a twin screw, one that doesn't mount the blower on the top of the engine.

On such direct engine-mount superchargers the path of compressed air is straight from the high pressure side into the intake port. There is literally no path of compressed air to reroute.

GoCougs

Here's the pic that apparently generated the gossip:

"We might be wrong but it looks like this Shelby GT500 is carrying a rather discreet intercooler setup behind the front bumper bar. This means the engine is either turbocharged or supercharged. It?s more likely to be turbocharged however, as Ford?s usual screw-type supercharger is unable to use an air-to-air intercooler system like what is seen on this test mule."

Yeah, you are wrong. First that doesn't look like an air-to-air intercooler, and other supercharged cars, including the Cobra, Lightening, CTS-V,  and ZR1 use either a Roots or lysholm direct engine-mount S/C with liquid-to-air cooling. At most this is a liquid-to-air intercooler.

r0tor

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on June 10, 2011, 08:31:21 PM
Twin screw with air to air intercoolers... -shrug-

http://www.performancedesign.com.au/rx8_supercharger_kit.html

No one said you couldn't use an air-to-air cooler with a twin screw.  Only that you can't use one when you mount the compressor output directly to the intake manifold/throttlebody.  A Wankel's intake isn't at the top-center of the engine like it is on a V motor, so you can mount the blower to the top of the motor and then plumb air from the blower output through a charge cooler and into the intake.  You could use one on a V motor too, but the packaging gets a little funky/ugly, since you'd need to mount the blower off to the side to leave a path to plumb air from the cooler to the intake manifold/throttlebody.  In which case, a centrifugal compressor often makes more sense.  Pairing twin screws with air-to-air intercoolers really works best, from a packaging standpoint, with motors that have their intake manifolds on the side of the engine, like inline motors and Wankels.
Needs more Jiggawatts

S204STi

I'm guessing you wouldn't get as much of an advantage with a twin screw by intercooling the air before it hits the compressor?

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on June 10, 2011, 09:38:39 PM
I'm guessing you wouldn't get as much of an advantage with a twin screw by intercooling the air before it hits the compressor?

Cooling the air before it gets compressed isn't intercooling (intercooling means you're cooling air between compressions, so you compress, you cool, and then you compress some more).  And running air that's already at ambient through a heat exchanger which is also at ambient won't cool the air, so the effect would just be to restrict your incoming airflow.
Needs more Jiggawatts

S204STi

Ah, that makes perfect sense.  Thanks.

r0tor

The lower half of the intake manifold (where that supercharger plumbs into) sits just like the manifold of a v block car.  That particulate supercharger has a custom exit off the back end of the supercharger so the air can be plumbed into an air to air intercooler.  There is a different twin screw supercharger maker for the rx8 that uses a water to air intercooler and the setup looks just like the shelby mustang setup.

An air to air intercooler is better for track cars as it suffers less from heatsoak after a prolonged track session... Which was the reason the kit I posted has the additional costs involved to use an air to air setup.

GoCougs

SVT666

Video of the two mystery GT500s at the Ring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoy73vGwQWg&feature=player_embedded

I don't hear the typical supercharger whine you get from the GT500, so it could very well be twin turbo. My god, the exhaust gives me goosebumps.

SVT32V

Quote from: SVT666 on June 14, 2011, 01:31:16 PM
Video of the two mystery GT500s at the Ring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoy73vGwQWg&feature=player_embedded

I don't hear the typical supercharger whine you get from the GT500, so it could very well be twin turbo. My god, the exhaust gives me goosebumps.

The 5.0 is set up for boost, with the supraesque oil squirters to cool the pistons and lube the wrist pins. IMO it was designed from the beginning to be boosted.

It does sound beautiful, clearly no SC sound.

GoCougs

Doesn't sound like a turbo either; exhaust rumble even in a hi-po V8 is greatly smoothed even with a mild turbo. Substantial pressure and you'll plainly hear the turbo whistle. (Check youtube for examples.)

The GT500 used the cheaper and less effective Roots/Eaton supercharger. These are the superchargers that have the characteristic whine. The Ford GT however used the Lysholm supercharger. These are far quieter and little to no whine. (Again, check youtube for examples.)

My guess is 5.4L w/Lysholm supercharger.

omicron

It will be interesting to see how the supercharged Coyote differs from the Australian-spec Miami.

The Miami engine features some critical differences with the Coyote V8, namely unique camshaft profiles, Miami-specific pistons and conrods, inconel exhaust valves, special balancing of internal components and, of course, that supercharger.

The Miami?s supercharger is built in Victoria by Harrop, and uses the same Eaton TVS rotors as the Jaguar XF-R and Cadillac CTS-V. The inherent efficiency of the Eaton rotors mean the Miami does not need an intercooler, although one could be used in future high-output variants.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50776/2011-fpv-gs-and-gt-details-of-supercharged-miami-v8-revealed

Wheels May '10 suggests that the upcoming 375kW (503hp) GT-H will 'look different under the bonnet due to a revised inlet manifold and engine cover arrangement. It's designed to house a water-to-air intercooler that cools the inlet charge while keeping the inlet runner length short for good throttle response. The blower has been geared to deliver 0.5bar (7psi)'.

The Miami-engined FPVs have quite a prominent whine, incidentally.

Nethead

Build-up updates:  June 24th, 2011
27 complete circuits (135 stories up and 135 stories down) in 58 minutes, 30 seconds.  3,618 steps up & 3,618 steps back down in 3,510 seconds = 2.06+ steps per second maintained for 58 minutes, 30 seconds. :praise:  There were occasional civilians encountered on the stairwell, as there always are.  I dropped the water bottle twice--doubtless clear air turbulence at high speed.  When the Nethead here can knock 60 seconds off this new time, I'm going for 28... :cheers:

So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

Seriously dude?  This has nothing to do with Mustang.  Post this in General Talk.