Police go for hybrid Lexus

Started by BMWDave, August 23, 2005, 04:12:53 PM

BMWDave

The new Lexus RX 400h petrol/electric hybrid off-roader is soon to be put through its paces by the British police force. Beginning in Hampshire, the RX 400h will be modified to police specification and sent out on patrol. The improved fuel economy of the hybrid engine has been a key factor in the decision to use the car, as the police fleet covers an estimated 14.5 million miles each year.

The RX 400h combines 3.3-litre V6 petrol engine with a 165bhp front electric motor to produce high levels of performance, as demonstrated with a 0-62mph time of under eight seconds, with a second electric motor at the rear to give the car four-wheel-drive capabilites that can be engaged when required. As well as reducing fuel consumption through its use of these electric motors, the engine also disengages four-wheel-drive whilst cruising, and shuts the engine down when at a halt to boost efficiency.

Source=Autocar

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Catman

I would have thought the Highlander a better choice than a luxury car. :rolleyes:  

Raza

And I thought American cops were self indulgent when it came to automobile choices.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteI would have thought the Highlander a better choice than a luxury car. :rolleyes:
They probably don't sell it there.  

TBR

QuoteAnd I thought American cops were self indulgent when it came to automobile choices.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:
you think american cops are self indulgent? No one under 60 wants to drive a Crown Vic, they are just very tough, very cheap, and very roomy.

Raza

QuoteAnd I thought American cops were self indulgent when it came to automobile choices.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:
you think american cops are self indulgent? No one under 60 wants to drive a Crown Vic, they are just very tough, very cheap, and very roomy.

That's what they should be driving.

But over here, you've got Yukons, Expeditions, Explorers, and Tahoes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

How do you expect the police to be able to catch anyone in an Aveo? Virtually everything else on the road is bigger and faster.  

Raza

QuoteHow do you expect the police to be able to catch anyone in an Aveo? Virtually everything else on the road is bigger and faster.
I would be okay with some other vehicles that are faster, pursuit vehicles (like Camaros, Mustangs, or even some Crown Vics), but as a publicly funded institution they should be spending as little tax dollars as possible to remain functional.  I'm not asking them to turn off the lights during the day, just spending 22-25K on a car when many, many people can't afford that seems wrong to me.  Give them higher salaries, not Crown Victorias.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Why? why not just use the upcoming GS400h? it'll be a nice pursuit car too.

ifcar

QuoteHow do you expect the police to be able to catch anyone in an Aveo? Virtually everything else on the road is bigger and faster.
I would be okay with some other vehicles that are faster, pursuit vehicles (like Camaros, Mustangs, or even some Crown Vics), but as a publicly funded institution they should be spending as little tax dollars as possible to remain functional.  I'm not asking them to turn off the lights during the day, just spending 22-25K on a car when many, many people can't afford that seems wrong to me.  Give them higher salaries, not Crown Victorias.
Crown Vics last a long time and are inexpensive to repair, which in the long run works very well for PDs.

Tom

Dude, CVs are cheap as dirt.  You can buy a Grand Marquis for 17k new :blink:   Imagine what kind of deal they're getting on a lot of CVs.

TBR

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

And how well do you think that car would handle 2 200 lb police officers and 300-400 lbs worth of gear? I am all for reducing expenses, but be reasonable, a Chevrolet Aveo wouldn't work. Also, keep in mind that CVs are very reliable and the parts are dirt cheap.

BMWDave

:rolleyes:? :rolleyes:

And how well do you think that car would handle 2 200 lb police officers and 300-400 lbs worth of gear? I am all for reducing expenses, but be reasonable, a Chevrolet Aveo wouldn't work. Also, keep in mind that CVs are very reliable and the parts are dirt cheap.
Yup, the gear cops put on the car weighs a tremendous amount.  Having Aveos is ridiculous.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Catman

There's a big reason we prefer large cars other than the obvious.  Consider that the avg gunbelt adds anywhere from 3-5 inches in hip width, space is at a premium, not to mention all the other equipment.  Any collision in a small car like Raza suggests is a recipe for serious injury or death.  Having one officer out of work on permanent disability is very expensive, more expensive than the extra cost of a safer car.  

Some obvious reasons for buying cars like the CVPI is that they are far more durable than a FWD econocar.  Constant repairs and maintenance can be very costly.  Additionally, there is no way that an Aveo can support the electronics we carry, it would puke.  The trunk area alone would not be sufficient to house the radio, modem and power supplies.  And, that's before you throw in the rifle and all the other equipment.  In the front, the passenger seat would have to be removed to make room for a console and computer mount.  For larger departments this would eliminate the possibility of a two man car.  

CVPI are already pretty cheap without the electronics, cages, lightbars, etc.  however, most of those items are recycled to newer cars.  We have Motorola radios that have been around before I started.  Lightbars usually last 6+ years.  Cages are good until the configuration changes and often that can be addressed with different brackets.  

Another obvious reason we like larger cars is because it is impossible to transport prisoners in a small car if a cage is in place.  The CVPI is barely acceptable as a transport.  A smaller car would require the need for a van and a man to drive it.

Lets face it, the CVPI is the ideal patrol car right now.  It retails in the low twenties all wired up and ready to go, maintence and reliability are good and the parts are reasonably cheap.

Anyone suggesting an Aveo would be acceptable is joking or is totally ignorant.  BTW, I can guarantee huge union greivances if someone put us in an Aveo.  

giant_mtb

Can an average person buy a CVPI?  

TBR

Not a new one, but you can get a used one.

giant_mtb

Is it illegal to drive them around with the lights and stuff?

Tom

Nah, as long as you don't use it.  Most of the stuff is stripped off before it's sent to auction or private sale.

ifcar

QuoteIs it illegal to drive them around with the lights and stuff?
I doubt you could drive it as a marked police vehicle, when PDs sell them the lightbars and interior modifications are removed and the cars are repainted.

Catman

QuoteCan an average person buy a CVPI?
I don't think so per se.  However, last I saw they had a sport model which was essentially an Interceptor package.  In MA, anyone running blue or red lights must have a permit issued by the Chief of Police.  The fine is over $200 for a violation along with any impersonation charge that may apply.  

giant_mtb

Psh...I want a sport CV.  B)  

TBR

QuotePsh...I want a sport CV.  B)
I would prefer one of these:

It may not have been very fast or a great handler, but the Marauder sure did look great.

Catman

QuotePsh...I want a sport CV.  B)
I just checked the Ford site, it's the LX Sport.  It's a little different then the Interceptor but close.

ciciusss

The days of the Ford Crown Victorias dominating the police market may be coming to an end. I believe the Dodge Charger with the police package will become the police vehicle of choice. I do not believe, however, they will dominate the market as Ford has for the past decade or so.

The big thing that many departments are awaiting are the road tests of the Charger by the California Highway Patrol and the Michigan Highway Patrol. Because of both of those agencies influence, if they give the Charger a thumbs up you will start to see many agencies begin to purchase the Charger.  I believe Michigan will test the Charger in September.

Catman

QuoteThe days of the Ford Crown Victorias dominating the police market may be coming to an end. I believe the Dodge Charger with the police package will become the police vehicle of choice. I do not believe, however, they will dominate the market as Ford has for the past decade or so.

The big thing that many departments are awaiting are the road tests of the Charger by the California Highway Patrol and the Michigan Highway Patrol. Because of both of those agencies influence, if they give the Charger a thumbs up you will start to see many agencies begin to purchase the Charger.  I believe Michigan will test the Charger in September.
Reception of the Charger has been cool so far.  Our municipal dealer had a Charger (non police) in their showroom with some literature.  Everyone is waiting for the first Guinea Pig. ;)  I will tell you that the rear seat is not going to be a great place to transport prisoners, it's smaller than the CVPI and roofline is unaccomodating for getting people in and out.  Last I heard there's at least one state agency that is now buying them.  I believe the MA State Police have a couple unmarked to test also.

ciciusss

Catman,

The Crown Vic police package has tight leg room in the rear seat. Are you saying that the Charger will have less? I do agree that many will wait for some agencies to jump. If a large department like the NCHP or CHP begin purchasing Chargers, then I think you will see a lot of departments come on board. It certainly is quicker and sits on a much newer platform than the Crown Vic.

giant_mtb

The Charger won't take over until it becomes much cheaper so that small departments can actually afford it with a V-8.

Catman

QuoteCatman,

The Crown Vic police package has tight leg room in the rear seat. Are you saying that the Charger will have less? I do agree that many will wait for some agencies to jump. If a large department like the NCHP or CHP begin purchasing Chargers, then I think you will see a lot of departments come on board. It certainly is quicker and sits on a much newer platform than the Crown Vic.
It's definately a newer, more modern platform.  Comparing them side by side the Chargers rear seat was tighter, I was a little disappointed.  The roof line will suck when you get a dink that won't go in willingly.  Tazer use should increase. ;)   I also though that the 3.5L would be a pretty good performer but than I noticed the Charger weighed only 50 lbs less than the CVPI and puts out less torque so I don't know.  The Hemi will be expensive from what I hear.  The best engine for a police car would be a turbo diesel, it would last a long time and be fuel efficient.

ciciusss

QuoteThe Charger won't take over until it becomes much cheaper so that small departments can actually afford it with a V-8.
That is probably true as far as the small departments go and I'm not suggesting that this will happen over night. But, there are many large departments, especially the State Police and Highway Patrols who have been looking to go to a different police vehicle. The Impala and the Intrepid, both being FWD was never going to take the market away from Ford. The Charger offers many things that these departments do want in a police vehicle.