GM launches incentive program for current Toyota owners

Started by SVT666, January 27, 2010, 09:10:41 PM

SVT666

GM launches incentive program for current Toyota owners
01/27/2010, 5:14 PM
BY DREW JOHNSON

With Toyota?s sales operations effectively on hold, General Motors is reaching out to those Toyota owners concerned about the Japanese automaker?s ongoing recall problems. Toyota was forced to halt sales of eight models following a recall announced last week.

General Motors says it is getting ?barraged? by Toyota owners looking to jump ship after the most recent recall of 2.3 million vehicles, with the Detroit automaker much obliged to make that transition a little easier. ?A lot of these customers were our customers, ? and they?re looking for help and we want to provide help,? Steve Hill, GM general manager of retail sales support, told the Detroit Free Press.

In order to aid that transition, GM is offering an incentive program for ?any Toyota owner?.

Per the terms of the program, current Toyota lease holders can get up to $1,000 to terminate their lease contract and get behind the wheel of any Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac or GMC vehicle. Toyota owners are also qualified for 0 percent financing for up to 60 months or $1,000 cash back.

The promotion is slated to run through the end of February. Of note, Toyota?s production shutdown is scheduled to run through at least February 5th.

The Pirate

Hehe, nice.  I'm rather liking the new GMs.  Were I shopping for a low cost midsize car (and the Fusion was out of the running), I'd probably get a Malibu.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on January 27, 2010, 09:13:11 PM
Hehe, nice.  I'm rather liking the new GMs.  Were I shopping for a low cost midsize car (and the Fusion was out of the running), I'd probably get a Malibu.
So in other words you would buy the Fusion first. :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: SVT666 on January 27, 2010, 09:18:01 PM
So in other words you would buy the Fusion first. :lol:

:lol:

Well, yes.  But the point is that I wouldn't have even thought about a GM car a few years ago.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

giant_mtb

Nice move, GM. :ohyeah:  I like seeing this...it's as though now the auto companies are actually competing and aren't afraid to take a stab or two at one another!  I love it.  I think we're going to see lots of improvement and advances in the industry over the next 5-10 years while the companies try to take the big stake in the recovering market!

Competition!

Vinsanity

Good move, but what they should really try to do is figure out how to win all those prospective buyers who would have bought a Toyota, but can't, due to the freeze on production and sales.

sportyaccordy

Good reason to go for a Cobalt SS....

If the Malibu were a little smaller I'd go for that too; it's girth to me is the only strike against it when compared to the Fusion

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 27, 2010, 10:45:44 PM
Good move, but what they should really try to do is figure out how to win all those prospective buyers who would have bought a Toyota, but can't, due to the freeze on production and sales.

haha Yes, GM should do well against a company which can't sell any cars.
Will

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on January 27, 2010, 09:10:41 PM
In order to aid that transition, GM is offering an incentive program for ?any Toyota owner?.

Step 1: Purchase POS Toyota truck: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/1573807412.html
Step 2: Receive $1000 for buying a GM.
Step 3: Sell POS Toyota truck.

Vinsanity

lol, that looks like the Hilux that they tried to destroy in those old TG episodes :tounge:

I bet there's a stipulation that you have to own the Toyota vehicle for a minimum amount of time, though...

Submariner

I somehow doubt GM is getting "barraged" from Toyota owners looking to jump ship just like that.  What, are other manufacturers not worthy of Toyota owners?

This seems like a desperate attempt at publicity, and on the heels of their "truck-off" between the Silverado and the Super Duty, I really think it's just that.  

Besides, people should admire a company willing to take such steps to ensure their product is properly fixed.  I have my doubt's that GM would take such measures if it were their product faced with similar problems.

I cannot believe I'm defending Toyota!  :confused:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

Quote from: Submariner on January 28, 2010, 11:39:05 AM
I somehow doubt GM is getting "barraged" from Toyota owners looking to jump ship just like that.  What, are other manufacturers not worthy of Toyota owners?

This seems like a desperate attempt at publicity, and on the heels of their "truck-off" between the Silverado and the Super Duty, I really think it's just that. 

Besides, people should admire a company willing to take such steps to ensure their product is properly fixed.  I have my doubt's that GM would take such measures if it were their product faced with similar problems.

I cannot believe I'm defending Toyota!  :confused:

If GM would have acknowledged and taken action with the manifold gasket design on many of their V6 cars through 2002, it would have bankrupted the company. Not like it mattered then -- I guess it was only a matter of time.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

I believe GM's fix in the late 80's for exploding gas tanks in their trucks was sending the owners a $500 rebate for the purchase of a new GM truck...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Submariner on January 28, 2010, 11:39:05 AM
Besides, people should admire a company willing to take such steps to ensure their product is properly fixed. 

It's not entirely voluntary. Some other article pointed out the Feds were making Toyota do the recalls. They're keeping just one step ahead of MANDATORY recalls. Toyota has done a good job of making sure it looks voluntary though...
Will

93JC

Quote from: r0tor on January 28, 2010, 01:16:21 PM
I believe GM's fix in the late 80's for exploding gas tanks in their trucks was sending the owners a $500 rebate for the purchase of a new GM truck...

Yeah, because there was no problem with exploding gas tanks.

NBC's Dateline staged it.

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on January 28, 2010, 01:08:57 PM
If GM would have acknowledged and taken action with the manifold gasket design on many of their V6 cars through 2002, it would have bankrupted the company. Not like it mattered then -- I guess it was only a matter of time.

Id say the severity is a bit different.  I mean, intake leaks at 90k miles versus fiery death.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 28, 2010, 06:15:02 AM
Good reason to go for a Cobalt SS....

If the Malibu were a little smaller I'd go for that too; it's girth to me is the only strike against it when compared to the Fusion

Chevrolet Malibu:

Length: 191.8"
Width: 70.3"
Height: 57.1"
Wheelbase: 112.3"

Ford Fusion:
Wheelbase: 107.4 in
Length: 190.6 in
Width: 72.2 in
Height: 56.9 in

They're the same size.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on January 28, 2010, 10:12:29 PM
Weight?

Irrelevant.

Malibu: 3435lbs
Fusion: 3342lbs.

Both are for 4-cylinder, automatic transmission models.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on January 28, 2010, 10:14:30 PM

Irrelevant.

Malibu: 3435lbs
Fusion: 3342lbs.

Both are for 4-cylinder, automatic transmission models.

Big cars.  You can get a manumatic Malibu I4, though.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on January 28, 2010, 10:10:48 PM

Chevrolet Malibu:

Length: 191.8"
Width: 70.3"
Height: 57.1"
Wheelbase: 112.3"

Ford Fusion:
Wheelbase: 107.4 in
Length: 190.6 in
Width: 72.2 in
Height: 56.9 in

They're the same size.

Fukin a', I can't look at specs all jumbled up like that.

Chevrolet Malibu      Ford Fusion         
Height (inches):57.156.9
Length (inches):191.8190.6
Width (inches):70.372.2
Wheelbase (inches):  112.3107.4
Weight (pounds):34353342

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on January 28, 2010, 10:15:26 PM
Big cars.  You can get a manumatic Malibu I4, though.
You can get a Fusion I4 with a slick 6 speed manual.

The Pirate

Quote from: SVT666 on January 28, 2010, 10:23:50 PM
You can get a Fusion I4 with a slick 6 speed manual.

And that's the diamond in the midsize, affordable sedan market today, IMO.

the Teuton

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on January 28, 2010, 10:25:27 PM
I was surprised that it was actually fun.  The clutch is a little on the light side, but it engages in the same place as my SVTF.  The tranny is slick.  I was really impressed with it.  I've given some thought to replacing the SVT with one of these and get an aftermarket suspension for it.  Steeda offers a handling pack for it which includes springs, shocks and struts, rear sway bar, and strut tower brace for $699 and it also lowers the car by 1.5".  Steeda makes kickass Mustang suspension pieces, so I trust their Fusion stuff would be good too.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on January 28, 2010, 10:25:27 PM

Yeah, if you exclude the Passat and CC.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.