Americans 'below speed limits'

Started by nickdrinkwater, January 29, 2010, 01:18:11 PM

CALL_911

Quote from: R-inge on January 30, 2010, 08:25:33 AM
So how pissed was your dad?  I mean it sounds like he sort of encouraged it so I doubt he was that mad.

He wasn't.

As soon as we got out of the police station, he told me that he got his first ticket in a rental Hyundai while I got mine in a rental Camaro. He also said that he anticipated something of the sort to happen (as a result of renting a V8 Camaro), but he thought it was "worth it."

He just made me promise not to tell my mom (who doesn't know, to this day).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 08:29:19 AM
He wasn't.

As soon as we got out of the police station, he told me that he got his first ticket in a rental Hyundai while I got mine in a rental Camaro. He also said that he anticipated something of the sort to happen (as a result of renting a V8 Camaro), but he thought it was "worth it."

He just made me promise not to tell my mom (who doesn't know, to this day).

That's pretty funny.  He knew your mom would be mad at him for encouraging you to speed.  There's a special relationship between fathers and sons based on shared maleness that a mother couldn't fully understand (just as a father can't fully understand a mother-daughter relationship).
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on January 30, 2010, 08:31:02 AM
That's pretty funny.  He knew your mom would be mad at him for encouraging you to speed.  There's a special relationship between fathers and sons based on shared maleness that a mother couldn't fully understand (just as a father can't fully understand a mother-daughter relationship).

That's absolutely right. He knew my mom would flip a shit if she found out, so it's better she didn't.

I'm amazed at how, well, cool my Dad is.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 08:32:27 AM
That's absolutely right. He knew my mom would flip a shit if she found out, so it's better she didn't.

I'm amazed at how, well, cool my Dad is.

This is just another example of the vanishing 'generation gap.'  My generation had much more of a gap between kids and parents.  I don't know if this is a good or bad thing.  Probably both.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on January 30, 2010, 08:34:15 AM
This is just another example of the vanishing 'generation gap.'  My generation had much more of a gap between kids and parents.  I don't know if this is a good or bad thing.  Probably both.

I never really noticed any such thing.

The more I see it, my dad and I really are the same person.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 08:38:50 AM
I never really noticed any such thing.

The more I see it, my dad and I really are the same person.

Is that why you posed as a doctor when you first posted here?  :evildude:

S204STi

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on January 30, 2010, 09:06:46 AM
Is that why you posed as a doctor when you first posted here?  :evildude:

Perhaps. :lol:

Quote from: R-inge on January 30, 2010, 09:30:22 AM
My dad never permitted speeding.

My dad speeds a decent amount himself and he knows it would be hypocritical (and ultimately pointless) to have me follow the speed limit as though doing otherwise would kill me.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 09:48:46 AM
Perhaps. :lol:

My dad speeds a decent amount himself and he knows it would be hypocritical (and ultimately pointless) to have me follow the speed limit as though doing otherwise would kill me.
I have to be honest though, I don't think I'd be as 'cool' as your dad is about it.  Car crashes are the number one cause of death for teenaged boys and young men, and I think I'd try to discourage fast driving in a guy that age, hoping that that will make him more restrained in his driving than he would otherwise be.

ChrisV

Quote from: MX793 on January 29, 2010, 09:13:45 PM
It appears they were tracking speeds on particular roadways, not in overall, day to day driving.

Where does it say that? it uses particular roadways as examples but it doesn't say they were only tracking those roadways.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on January 30, 2010, 09:56:33 AM
I have to be honest though, I don't think I'd be as 'cool' as your dad is about it.  Car crashes are the number one cause of death for teenaged boys and young men, and I think I'd try to discourage fast driving in a guy that age, hoping that that will make him more restrained in his driving than he would otherwise be.

I guess it's just the way I've been brought up. There's nothing my dad has restricted me from doing and he knows me well enough to know that if I know something was completely irresponsible and would indeed put my life in danger I wouldn't.

In my defense, the road on which I was speeding was DESERTED and was wide enough to accommodate such a speed. Had there been more cars on the road, I definitely would not have been driving that fast.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

S204STi

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 09:48:46 AM

My dad doesn't speed much if at all either, especially never with passengers and not since he sold his AMX, but he always figured that hypocrisy had nothing to do with it; it had more to do with the complete lack of skill in a 16 year old driver. 

CALL_911

Quote from: R-inge on January 30, 2010, 11:51:13 AM
My dad doesn't speed much if at all either, especially never with passengers and not since he sold his AMX, but he always figured that hypocrisy had nothing to do with it; it had more to do with the complete lack of skill in a 16 year old driver. 

Probably. I don't know, my dad seems to have a lot in trust in me and feels that I am responsible. He's always been of the opinion that if a parent exposes their kid to something, they're less likely to go buck wild with that particular thing once they gain access to it without any supervision.

Example: My dad never hid alcohol from me. It was always firmly within reach and I took my first sip of beer at like age 5 and decided it was vile shit. I never had much of a desire to try alcohol (not that I haven't since then), but it's not something I have problems with, nor is it something I abuse (unlike many other kids my age).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

93JC

I don't find this surprising at all. At least, as far as Montanans are concerned. The speed limit on the Interstates is 75 mph, I set my cruise control to 76ish, and I was passed once, by another Albertan.

Northlands

Quote from: 93JC on January 30, 2010, 12:22:37 PM
I don't find this surprising at all. At least, as far as Montanans are concerned. The speed limit on the Interstates is 75 mph, I set my cruise control to 76ish, and I was passed once, by another Albertan.

Sounds about right. They oughtta do this test in Canada. I hope it will end up proving that most people where I live drive well under the limits, and hope it will finally prove that those lunatics in Quebec all think they belong to the Villenueve family. Last I spent time driving on highways in that province, I ended up getting my speedometer checked.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

dazzleman

Quote from: 93JC on January 30, 2010, 12:22:37 PM

That sort of confirms my theory that people will drive the speed at which they feel comfortable, regardless of speed limit.  Around here, the speed limit is 55 mph, and when traffic permits, people drive basically the same speed as they do in Montana.

Rupert

Quote from: ChrisV on January 30, 2010, 11:22:49 AM
Where does it say that? it uses particular roadways as examples but it doesn't say they were only tracking those roadways.

If fact, it doesn't say a damn thing about their methods.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: ChrisV on January 30, 2010, 11:22:49 AM

The article states the study was focused exclusively on average "motorway" (which is British for highway) speeds.  

Note that it mentions the average speed of 70 mph for Mississippi.  The average driver probably spends about 50% of their time in city/suburban driving (25-40 mph) and 50% on the highways.  If that's the case and they're looking at total average speeds, the only way people are going to average 70 mph overall is if they are traveling triple digits on the highways (or are traveling at highways speeds on city/suburban streets).  Neither scenario seems likely, which means they must not be including city driving in their speed averages.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Indeed. The question becomes, of course, what are they including?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Well, I mean, they did include specific examples of highway/freeway areas where drivers were averaging under the limit. :huh:

Rupert

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 11:46:15 AM
I guess it's just the way I've been brought up. There's nothing my dad has restricted me from doing and he knows me well enough to know that if I know something was completely irresponsible and would indeed put my life in danger I wouldn't.

In my defense, the road on which I was speeding was DESERTED and was wide enough to accommodate such a speed. Had there been more cars on the road, I definitely would not have been driving that fast.

It's great that you dad has such trust in you.  Make sure you live up to that trust.  It would be terrible to let him down.

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on January 31, 2010, 08:33:27 AM
It's great that you dad has such trust in you.  Make sure you live up to that trust.  It would be terrible to let him down.

Oh, absolutely.

I'm sure that's a large factor in my not doing stupid shit.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 31, 2010, 09:17:08 AM
Oh, absolutely.

I'm sure that's a large factor in my not doing stupid shit.

:ohyeah:

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 29, 2010, 01:18:11 PM
The area where drivers are most likely to push the limits is Mississippi, but even then the average speed was 70mph - exactly the motorway limit.

I believe my max of 130 in Mississippi threw off the statistics a little bit  :devil:

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 31, 2010, 12:55:14 PM

I believe my max of 130 in Mississippi threw off the statistics a little bit  :devil:

Dude, if you'd gotten snagged at that speed with Connecticut plates down there, those good ole boys would probably have fed you to the alligators in one of their swamps.  I don't think we'd ever have heard from you again, man.  :lockedup:

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on January 31, 2010, 01:50:53 PM
Dude, if you'd gotten snagged at that speed with Connecticut plates down there, those good ole boys would probably have fed you to the alligators in one of their swamps.  I don't think we'd ever have heard from you again, man.  :lockedup:

You've seen My Cousin Vinny? It would be like that, except without Vinny.

:lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on January 31, 2010, 03:46:43 PM
You've seen My Cousin Vinny? It would be like that, except without Vinny.

Dude, I love that movie... :ohyeah:

Rupert

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on January 31, 2010, 04:40:51 PM
Of course you do.

What's that supposed to mean?  :heated:

It is a very funny movie.  I like comedies, especially those oriented around crazy schemes and generally wild behavior.

I love the movie "Porkys."  Did you ever see it?