Americans 'below speed limits'

Started by nickdrinkwater, January 29, 2010, 01:18:11 PM

r0tor

Quote from: ifcar on January 29, 2010, 08:01:23 PM
The immediate DC area has only one stretch of roadway with speed limits of over 55 -- Route 50 between the DC Beltway and Annapolis -- and there are just two more even when you move into the sticks. Someone doing 85 is going to have their average cut down sharply by sitting on the shoulder in front of a cop.

The last time i was on I-95 between Baltimore and DC it was late at night and I had the cruise control set at 85mph and I was the slowest person on the road it felt like
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

oh my little speeding story...

Right after I got my Probe-GT (i was a bit over 17) my dad went driving with me.... we got on this long straight backroad and pretty much said "I know eventually your gonna fly like a bat out of hell in this thing - so i'd rather be there for the first time.... floor it".  I mashed the pedal and somewhere around 130mph he said "ok, thats enough....."
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on January 31, 2010, 04:43:08 PM
What's that supposed to mean?  :heated:
:lol:

This:

It is a very funny movie.  I like comedies, especially those oriented around crazy schemes and generally wild behavior.

I love the movie "Porkys."  Did you ever see it?

Nope.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on January 31, 2010, 01:50:53 PM
Dude, if you'd gotten snagged at that speed with Connecticut plates down there, those good ole boys would probably have fed you to the alligators in one of their swamps.  I don't think we'd ever have heard from you again, man.  :lockedup:

Life would not have fun. There is almost no police presence on those roads though. I averaged 95-100 there, slowed down here or there for suspicious corners or the "emergency vehicles only" roads in the middle.

TBR

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 31, 2010, 09:19:25 PM

Life would not have fun. There is almost no police presence on those roads though. I averaged 95-100 there, slowed down here or there for suspicious corners or the "emergency vehicles only" roads in the middle.

MS doesn't give a rat's ass about anything. I20 is really easy to speed on too (especially in LA, but I imagine you get off before then).

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: TBR on February 01, 2010, 12:46:29 AM
MS doesn't give a rat's ass about anything. I20 is really easy to speed on too (especially in LA, but I imagine you get off before then).

The LA highways seem to have a bit more enforcement, but I've only driven in the coastal, more populated areas. I think driving back up to CT puts me through LA in about a couple hours IIRC, and with a good portion of that on a bridge.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on January 31, 2010, 01:50:53 PM
Dude, if you'd gotten snagged at that speed with Connecticut plates down there, those good ole boys would probably have fed you to the alligators in one of their swamps.  I don't think we'd ever have heard from you again, man.  :lockedup:

Before my GPS was stolen, I was pretty proud that its max speed read 130 :praise:

TBR

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 01, 2010, 01:29:41 AM

The LA highways seem to have a bit more enforcement, but I've only driven in the coastal, more populated areas. I think driving back up to CT puts me through LA in about a couple hours IIRC, and with a good portion of that on a bridge.

The thing about the Louisiana stretch of I-20 is that there's almost nowhere for a cop to hide. It's flat, straight, and relatively clear.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ifcar on January 29, 2010, 08:01:23 PM
The immediate DC area has only one stretch of roadway with speed limits of over 55 -- Route 50 between the DC Beltway and Annapolis -- and there are just two more even when you move into the sticks. Someone doing 85 is going to have their average cut down sharply by sitting on the shoulder in front of a cop.

not it!   :lol:
I only drove over 70mph on the beltway or Baltimore/Washington parkway. (both 55mph)
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on January 31, 2010, 05:37:33 PM
oh my little speeding story...

My first ticket was 42 in a 20mph. Abandoned road which made a nice shortcut through part of town. I did 20mph in the housing area then opened it up a little around a hill..     :(

I had my license less than 3 months, I was in the band and had to play the homecoming football game after school- but just HAD to get some mickey D's first.

Half the school saw me pulled over and laughed at me when I got back to the school for the game.
Will

J86

do you two know each other?

yeah, shes my fiance.

well that would certainly explain the hostility

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 01, 2010, 06:33:03 AM
My first ticket was 42 in a 20mph. Abandoned road which made a nice shortcut through part of town. I did 20mph in the housing area then opened it up a little around a hill..     :(

I had my license less than 3 months, I was in the band and had to play the homecoming football game after school- but just HAD to get some mickey D's first.

Half the school saw me pulled over and laughed at me when I got back to the school for the game.

Haha, that's hilarious, man.  It's always great when your friends see you in a situation like that..... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

S204STi

Heh, I was caught three times in one month in NH, each time doing speeds which surely warranted a ticket (once doing 80 in a 55) and yet got off with a verbal warning each time.  Sweet.

J86

Quote from: R-inge on February 06, 2010, 02:32:27 PM
Heh, I was caught three times in one month in NH, each time doing speeds which surely warranted a ticket (once doing 80 in a 55) and yet got off with a verbal warning each time.  Sweet.

I got caught in Maine doing about 70 in a 40.  They day before, I had received a ticket in NH for doing 85 in a 65.  Cop asks me where I'm going.  Response: back to RI.  Cop- "well, you won't make it too far if you keep going like that. Slow down."  No ticket!

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on February 06, 2010, 02:32:27 PM
Heh, I was caught three times in one month in NH, each time doing speeds which surely warranted a ticket (once doing 80 in a 55) and yet got off with a verbal warning each time.  Sweet.

:rage:
Why couldn't that ever happen to me?

giant_mtb

Quote from: J86 on February 06, 2010, 02:56:54 PM
I got caught in Maine doing about 70 in a 40.  They day before, I had received a ticket in NH for doing 85 in a 65.  Cop asks me where I'm going.  Response: back to RI.  Cop- "well, you won't make it too far if you keep going like that. Slow down."  No ticket!

What the hell were you doing going 70MPH in a 40?!  Aren't 40's usually residential/commercial areas with lots of traffic/people? :confused:

J86

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 06, 2010, 03:54:02 PM
What the hell were you doing going 70MPH in a 40?!  Aren't 40's usually residential/commercial areas with lots of traffic/people? :confused:

Not too familiar w/ rural ME roads are ya?

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on February 06, 2010, 02:56:54 PM

You were lucky, man.  Two tickets in 2 days wouldn't have been such a great thing.  I once got two tickets within 10 minutes of each other.  I was pretty pissed at myself for being stupid enough to allow it to happen.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 06, 2010, 03:54:02 PM

Speed limits in Maine are best ignored, because they don't make any damn sense.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 06, 2010, 04:04:13 PM
Speed limits in Maine are best ignored, because they don't make any damn sense.

Speed limits in most places are best ignored.  That's always been my driving philosophy.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on February 06, 2010, 04:05:38 PM
Speed limits in most places are best ignored.  That's always been my driving philosophy.

Some of the speed limits on CT back roads are waaaaaay too fast for normal people. That would be fine if "speed limits" were actually limits, but most everyone takes them as "speed minimums"

J86

Quote from: dazzleman on February 06, 2010, 03:56:52 PM
You were lucky, man.  Two tickets in 2 days wouldn't have been such a great thing.  I once got two tickets within 10 minutes of each other.  I was pretty pissed at myself for being stupid enough to allow it to happen.

Yeah, this was back in high school, I would NOT have enjoyed trying to keep that hidden.

dazzleman

I'm sure you'd have pulled it off, Josh..:praise:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: dazzleman on February 06, 2010, 04:05:38 PM

There's a really wide open road on the edge of town that's 25 mph. The only thing that's there is a paper factory. Cops love to sit there sniping people because it feels more like it should be 35-45 mph.

Eye of the Tiger

Paper is very fragile. You must be careful around it.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 07, 2010, 05:01:13 PM
Paper is very fragile. You must be careful around it.

They need to invest in paper weights! :rage: