Americans 'below speed limits'

Started by nickdrinkwater, January 29, 2010, 01:18:11 PM

nickdrinkwater

QuoteAmericans are driving well below the speed limit on average, according to new data by Tele Atlas, the mapping unit of sat-nav maker TomTom.

Using data collected anonymously from millions of GPS systems in use on US roads, it discovered that average speeds don't top 70mph in any US state.

The fastest stretch of motorway in the US is the I-15, which runs from Utah to Nevada. The average speed of vehicles tracked on this road was 77.67mph, even though the speed limit is 80mph in places.

The area where drivers are most likely to push the limits is Mississippi, but even then the average speed was 70mph - exactly the motorway limit.

The slowest drivers came from the District of Columbia, where motorway drivers average just 46mph.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/247132/#

Rupert

I need to see their methods before I believe that.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ChrisV

Well, yeah, AVAERAGE speeds don't top 70, because you tend to spend WAY more time on secondary roads, in traffic, and in town than on the open interstate. WAY more people are driving in urban/suburban areas and on secondary roads than are driving on interstates at any given time. So overall, all driving factored in, the average WILL be slower than the maximum speed.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Ha!  What a useless statistic.  DC is jammed up all the time.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Quote from: ChrisV on January 29, 2010, 01:54:34 PM
Well, yeah, AVAERAGE speeds don't top 70, because you tend to spend WAY more time on secondary roads, in traffic, and in town than on the open interstate. WAY more people are driving in urban/suburban areas and on secondary roads than are driving on interstates at any given time. So overall, all driving factored in, the average WILL be slower than the maximum speed.

They don't make it clear what their average is of. If the number they give is all driving all the time, like you say, then the average freeway speed has got to be way high. But this number is too low for the average freeway speed, unless they're also counting semis or something.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

S204STi

I believe your assessment is correct.

SVT_Power

Quote from: R-inge on January 29, 2010, 02:09:53 PM
I believe your assessment is correct.

I believe your assessment of his assessment is correct.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 29, 2010, 02:15:02 PM
I believe your assessment of his assessment is correct.

I believe your assessment of his assessment of his assessment is correct.

SVT_Power

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 29, 2010, 03:11:15 PM
I believe your assessment of his assessment of his assessment is correct.

I believe your assessment of my assessment of his assessment of his assessment is correct.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

r0tor

The average speed around DC is about 85mph when there is no traffic (say between 10pm and 6am) and about 15mph the rest of the time...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on January 29, 2010, 05:11:04 PM
The average speed around DC is about 85mph when there is no traffic (say between 10pm and 6am) and about 15mph the rest of the time...

The immediate DC area has only one stretch of roadway with speed limits of over 55 -- Route 50 between the DC Beltway and Annapolis -- and there are just two more even when you move into the sticks. Someone doing 85 is going to have their average cut down sharply by sitting on the shoulder in front of a cop.

Rupert

MX793

It appears they were tracking speeds on particular roadways, not in overall, day to day driving.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

VTEC_Inside

Lol, the first time I used my new Garmin I had to set a nice max speed (high score, woot!). I think its 170 something kph...
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

dazzleman

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on January 30, 2010, 01:00:42 AM
Lol, the first time I used my new Garmin I had to set a nice max speed (high score, woot!). I think its 170 something kph...

We all know you like to wear a lot of lead in your shoes, man..... :pullover:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CALL_911

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on January 30, 2010, 01:00:42 AM

Wow, I thought I was the only one who tried to play that game.

My sister bought a tomtom (she didn't need one, stupidest purchase ever) that my Dad and I used (hardly) on our midwest/southwest excursion. I had to set the "high score" on that. 122 mph. Deserted, arrow-straight, cop-less roads in Utah+V8 Camaro FTMFW.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 07:54:46 AM
Wow, I thought I was the only one who tried to play that game.

My sister bought a tomtom (she didn't need one, stupidest purchase ever) that my Dad and I used (hardly) on our midwest/southwest excursion. I had to set the "high score" on that. 122 mph. Deserted, arrow-straight, cop-less roads in Utah+V8 Camaro FTMFW.

:ohyeah:
Isn't that around the time you ended up getting 'cuffed?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on January 30, 2010, 07:56:33 AM
:ohyeah:
Isn't that around the time you ended up getting 'cuffed?

2 days before, yes.

Hell, only about half an hour before I got nailed, I hit about 115 or so. My Dad's theory is that they got me by helicopter.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 07:58:28 AM
2 days before, yes.

Hell, only about half an hour before I got nailed, I hit about 115 or so. My Dad's theory is that they got me by helicopter.

You're my idol, man.... :lol:

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on January 30, 2010, 08:00:45 AM
You're my idol, man.... :lol:

No I'm not, not when Dad pays the speeding ticket.

That just makes me a fucking idiot, not a badass in any way, shape, or form.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 08:13:41 AM
No I'm not, not when Dad pays the speeding ticket.

That just makes me a fucking idiot, not a badass in any way, shape, or form.

I was just kidding around, man.  :ohyeah:

You have the right attitude, BTW.

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on January 30, 2010, 08:17:50 AM
I was just kidding around, man.  :ohyeah:

You have the right attitude, BTW.

You could call it the right attitude, but it's 100% true.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 08:18:44 AM
You could call it the right attitude, but it's 100% true.

I meant that you had the right attitude by acknowledging that your dad paid the ticket and that you don't deserve 'credit' for being a badass.

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on January 30, 2010, 08:21:17 AM
I meant that you had the right attitude by acknowledging that your dad paid the ticket and that you don't deserve 'credit' for being a badass.

Yeah, I'd like to think so, at least.

I doubt that'll be my last speeding ticket, but it will be my last under my Dad's wallet (I'll make sure of it). I do speed, but I'm quite a bit more careful about it.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 08:23:29 AM
Yeah, I'd like to think so, at least.

I doubt that'll be my last speeding ticket, but it will be my last under my Dad's wallet (I'll make sure of it). I do speed, but I'm quite a bit more careful about it.

You have the right idea.  You should never do something if you can't handle the consequences.

S204STi

So how pissed was your dad?  I mean it sounds like he sort of encouraged it so I doubt he was that mad.

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on January 30, 2010, 08:25:33 AM
So how pissed was your dad?  I mean it sounds like he sort of encouraged it so I doubt he was that mad.
He definitely encouraged it.  I didn't have 'cool' parents, so I find the concept foreign.