When's the last time you honked your horn at someone?

Started by 93JC, February 06, 2010, 11:06:58 AM

93JC

I've only ever used my horn a handful of times. I'm curious if people use it more often than I do, and under what circumstances?

The last time I honked my horn, the first time in the Mazda, ever, was last Sunday. I was on my way to a bottle depot and all the way there I got stuck behind slow-moving traffic. I turned off a freeway and went up the off-ramp to make a right turn.

Here's a picture of what happened:

Some idiot in a VW New Beetle in Geek Squad livery was STOPPED at the beginning of the acceleration lane onto the other road. So I honked and yelled "Move, you pussy!"

Here's a google streetview, centered where he was stopped: http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.02431,-114.118509&spn=0,359.992619&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.024086,-114.118758&panoid=ydhgRYxRcjWYGDOR9YFYcA&cbp=12,326.8,,0,5.13

As you can see it's a fairly long acceleration lane, and the traffic he was merging into was only going 45-50 km/h. He had plenty of opportunities, but was too afraid to take advantage of them.

Do people do this (stop instead of merge) where you guys live, or is this just a local phenomenon?

dazzleman

It's been a really long time.  I can't even remember.  I rarely use my horn.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Last night, I was about to honk my horn at bitch in a Camry that I thought might try pulling out in front of me from a parking lot, but I didn't have a free hand to honk with because she fucking gunned it into the road, but then didn't accelerate at all, so I actually had to brake hard to avoid wrecking, causing my beer jumped out of the cup holder and roll on to the fucking floor. Dammit, I was fucking pissed.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

how strange, last time I honked my horn was a few weeks ago, and it also involved one of those dedicated right turn lanes.

I was going straight through an intersection on a green light, and some dumb broad in a Camry hangs a WIDE right turn right in front of me without even checking the cross-traffic, and I had to slam on my brakes while blowing my horn. We came within less than 20 feet of hitting each other, and she even tried to out-accelerate me after I had to swerve to avoid her :rolleyes:

here's the satellite image:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.685755,-117.854963&spn=0.001884,0.003484&t=h&z=19

I was going straight on the northbound street, and she was turning from the westbound street to the northbound one, into the left lane RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.

I swear, those dedicated right-turn lanes are trouble.

ifcar

I'll tap the horn if someone hasn't noticed that the light has changed -- which is fairly regularly. I've also had people try to change lanes into me need a good honk.

Eye of the Tiger

The problem with horns is that when you really need them, you're probably already too busy driving to avoid wrecking while screaming and panicking. Horns should be scream-activated. Or, heck, don't some of these fancy cars have system that monitor the driver's heart rate and emotions or something? Horns should activated automatically with spikes in heart rate or road rage.

93JC

Quote from: ifcar on February 06, 2010, 11:18:36 AM
I've also had people try to change lanes into me need a good honk.

I came close to that Thursday. Guy in a Sienna flicked on his signal and started moving over without checking his blind spot. I was about to swerve into the (unoccupied) lane to my right but he shoulder-checked and swerved back into his lane before I had to take any measures.

Speed_Racer

My horn stopped working in Aug., and I just haven't gotten around to replacing it. So I just yell really loud. :lol:

BENZ BOY15

I honked my horn at two deer that wouldn't get out of the way in the hills above Los Gatos. Other than that, I don't remember....it's been a while.

MX793

I very rarely use my horn.  Less than 10 times a year, I'd guess.  I'll honk at people who are obviously not paying attention when a traffic light turns green.  I'll also honk if somebody starts to change lanes when I'm in their blind spot or similar, potential collision situations.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 06, 2010, 11:22:43 AM
The problem with horns is that when you really need them, you're probably already too busy driving to avoid wrecking while screaming and panicking. Horns should be scream-activated. Or, heck, don't some of these fancy cars have system that monitor the driver's heart rate and emotions or something? Horns should activated automatically with spikes in heart rate or road rage.

Instead of a scream activated horn, how about just a loudspeaker on the roof of the car to broadcast your voice directly?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Last night, last weekend, last month...

I could go on...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Jon?

Quote from: 93JC on February 06, 2010, 11:06:58 AM
Do people do this (stop instead of merge) where you guys live, or is this just a local phenomenon?

Yes.  That is a huge pet peeve of mine.

The last time I honked was last weekend.  Two cars ahead of me a guy was sitting at a red light, with his right blinker on.  I looked around thinking there was a sign for no turn on red but there wasn't one so I laid on the horn.  Wasn't sure why the the other cars ahead of me didn't do the same.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

Laconian

I honk my horn when someone sits at a green light and I can see them on the phone. The rudeness of the horn is TOTALLY appropriate and intentional for these scenarios.

I also honk when someone starts merging into me. It happens quite often when you drive a little car like mine.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

J86

I used my horn twice yesterday.  Once to honk at a buddy who was driving the other way, and once to honk at some dude wearing Saint's gear dancing all by himself on a street corner. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Do people do this (stop instead of merge) where you guys live,

YES.

I rarely honk at people, but last Sunday driving on a 55mph country road home from church, i came upon a very visible intersection. There were stop signs for THEM, NOT me, there were cars waiting on both sides or the road to go straight across.

Yes it was raining but my lights were on, and like I said, I could see the intersection at least a quarter mile away. But some idiot truck waits until I'm coming up on the intersection to pull straight across, I had to brake hard and also Honked.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on February 06, 2010, 11:23:28 AM
Guy in a Sienna flicked on his signal and started moving over without checking his blind spot.

Those things are very long and it would be easy to miss a car next to you IF you don't know how to use mirrors properly.
Those vans have GREAT sideview mirrors!!

BUT, I'm convinced that an overwhelmingly vast majority of US drivers don't know how to use them. They'd rather see the side of their car than use them to see the blindspots..   :huh:
Will

S204STi

The first thing I do every morning, well, second after "adjusting" myself, is walk out to my car and lean on the horn for a few seconds.  You know, just to make sure it still works.

Rupert

Last time I used a horn was a couple of days ago, when someone started to pull out of a parking lot in front of me. I saw them glance in my direction, but I guess the giant red beast going 35 mph was hiding behind the row of parked cars. I saw it coming, so I had the horn and the brakes ready. I just had to use the horn. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

I tried to today, but apparently the horn in my brother's Saturn doesn't work. I was in a neighborhood and a snow plow (not a huge one, like a 1 ton truck) was in the road. It pulled into a parking space for the model home on the road and I thought he saw me. Apparently he didn't and started to back up when I was right behind him. Before I even tried to horn my first reaction was to just gun it, which got me out of the way. It was then that I found out the horn doesn't work. Guess I'll fix that for him.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 06, 2010, 04:09:46 PM
I tried to today, but apparently the horn in my brother's Saturn doesn't work. I was in a neighborhood and a snow plow (not a huge one, like a 1 ton truck) was in the road. It pulled into a parking space for the model home on the road and I thought he saw me. Apparently he didn't and started to back up when I was right behind him. Before I even tried to horn my first reaction was to just gun it, which got me out of the way. It was then that I found out the horn doesn't work. Guess I'll fix that for him.

choo choo

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 06, 2010, 04:13:09 PM
No, I plan on doing that for The Road. :rockon:

Ya, but it would be more hilarious from a plasticar.

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 06, 2010, 04:09:46 PM

The Saturn's horn is worse than the Subaru's. The Subaru's was about as masculine as Elton John in a women's clothing store.

You probably just didn't hear it, to be honest.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hotrodalex

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2010, 04:17:09 PM
The Saturn's horn is worse than the Subaru's. The Subaru's was about as masculine as Elton John in a women's clothing store.

You probably just didn't hear it, to be honest.

There was a problem with it a couple years ago and my dad got another horn from the junkyard. Supposedly that one worked fine. Maybe the connections aren't hooked up right or something.

S204STi

Honda has to make the most ear-shattering, face-melting horn in existence.  They aren't as loud as a Union Pacific the the particular pitch pierces mind and soul.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I think I use mine everyday (I also drive for a living) To wake up the sleeping driver in front of me when the light turns green.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

sportyaccordy

I used mine today. Life is too short to wait at a green light.

The Phantom

Just the other day, when an elderly gentleman was inching over into my lane.  But it's rare.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

Byteme

I've only ever used my horn a handful of times. I'm curious if people use it more often than I do, and under what circumstances?

Just this morning in fact.  Some clod in a honda was apparently taking a snooze when the light turned green.  As I usually do I counted to three and then tapped the horn to wake them up and get them moving.