Why 70 is the new 55

Started by S204STi, March 17, 2010, 04:16:52 PM

AutobahnSHO

Yaaaaay!
http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/metro/2010-03-23/slowpokes-left-lane-face-fines-under-georgia-bill

Almost anyway. Dang it- I got so excited.

By Walter C. Jones
Morris News Service
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
ATLANTA --- Legislation to fine poky lane hogs is speeding along with a firm push from the House on Monday after a quick debate.

The House voted 129-29 in just seven minutes to pass and send to the Senate a bill that would set a minimum fine of $75 for any motorist driving less than the speed limit in the left lane who refuses to pull to the right when a faster vehicle approaches."
Will

r0tor

PA has had a left lane camper law for years now... no one pays attention to it though
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: EtypeJohn on March 22, 2010, 08:59:37 AM
Apparently there is a big difference in the gasoline formulations sold in Florida compared to Texas.  That's about the only thing I can think of for that significant of a difference in mileage. 

One of the many, many ways in which Texas has an awful lot going for it compared to other states.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 23, 2010, 11:17:33 AM
One of the many, many ways in which Texas has an awful lot going for it compared to other states.

Except that it isn't Texas' doing.  It's mandated by the Feds, EPA I believe.

The difference was so pronounced I briefly thought that maybe I filled up with E-85 by mistake.

omicron

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on March 20, 2010, 12:59:39 PM
Are speed cameras big in Australia? I know in the UK it's a huge industry. Speeding isn't much fun if you don't get the thrill of dodging the law - getting tickets mailed to you weeks after the offense by some automated bureaucracy would take all the thrill out of it.

Pretty much, although I think we're a few years behind in terms of camera prevalance and those registration plate-reading whatsits. As a general rule, in South Oz at least, you'd have to be very unlucky to be stopped for speeding by a uniformed police officer. All red-light cameras at intersections are now speed cameras, too, so as long as you don't blast through junctions (and, realistically speaking, you shouldn't be speeding through an intersection in the first place) and keep a bit of an eye out on main roads and near schools or roadworks, you can generally avoid them.

Usefully, the locations of portable cameras are posted by the police on the Internet and subsequently broadcast on the radio and television each day, so you can make note of any in the area.

dazzleman

Quote from: omicron on March 24, 2010, 11:02:17 AM
Pretty much, although I think we're a few years behind in terms of camera prevalance and those registration plate-reading whatsits. As a general rule, in South Oz at least, you'd have to be very unlucky to be stopped for speeding by a uniformed police officer. All red-light cameras at intersections are now speed cameras, too, so as long as you don't blast through junctions (and, realistically speaking, you shouldn't be speeding through an intersection in the first place) and keep a bit of an eye out on main roads and near schools or roadworks, you can generally avoid them.

Usefully, the locations of portable cameras are posted by the police on the Internet and subsequently broadcast on the radio and television each day, so you can make note of any in the area.

Did you ever get one of those camera tickets, Matt?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

Kinda apropos to the previous dust up about flashing high beams...

Driving in the fast land in moderate traffic at about 60 mph on the freeway with about two car lengths' space in front of me, and in my rear view mirror I see an idiot shooting up the middle lane and sure enough, he makes a hole shot for the spot in front of my. Unable to control the desire not to, I flash my high beams at him (it was wet, and I got sprayed).

As could be predicted by this sort of driving, sure enough he hits the brakes and slows the entire land down to about 35 mph. I try to pass in the middle lane but he he swerves to prevent me. People of course start diving into the middle land to get around this calamity (he doesn't swerve on them) leaving me behind this piece of garbage. This continues for about a mile mile. The middle lane finally opens up, and I dart past him easily (he was in some POS compact). He was laughably working the gears trying to race me or some such. After I blew past and continued about my business he was doing all sorts of weaving and dodging and all sorts of other nonsense presumably trying to catch up to me. He finally gets up to me and is screaming and raising his phone (as if taking a picture).

As is typical nowadays, pretty much anytime anyone intentionally irks me on the open road I call 911. 911 connected me to the State Patrol, who already said they had another complaint on this guy (LOL - maybe even me too), so hopefully they got him. Not sure what they can do based on a complaint, but a piece of garbage like that hopefully has warrants earning him a ride to the poky.

Also, it's my experience, both personal and otherwise, that even outside Houston flashing high beams no matter the justification will 50% of the time bring an unpleasant response (though usually not nearly as drastic as aforementioned road rage incident). I don't recommend it. Forcing others to alter their driving to accommodate what is probably above/extra legal speeds is simply bullying (and why many Americans won't respond kindly to it) and using it as a means of reciprocating displeasure at bad driving is like throwing rocks at a chained-up rabid dog. In short, it's not a good idea, and it is also a traffic infraction in most any jurisdiction.

Jon?

He probably just recognized you from your posts here and was pissed you like the Camry so much.

That said, road rage can be deadly.  Don't make a temporary issue a life-long regret.  I've seen it happen and it's bad news.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

GoCougs

Quote from: Jon? on April 02, 2010, 09:38:17 AM
He probably just recognized you from your posts here and was pissed you like the Camry so much.

That said, road rage can be deadly.  Don't make a temporary issue a life-long regret.  I've seen it happen and it's bad news.

I'm not really a big fan of the Camry but given its maligned stature here and elsehwhere I do revel in its ability to embarrass (V6), at least in a straight line, many so-called performance cars of both the past and the present.

I can only imagine what would have escalated if I had responded in kind, chased him down or whatever. Some people just have nothing to lose, and otherwise live their daily lives like rabid animals looking for confrontation. But meh, this happens once every six months so it's not as big a deal as when I was younger.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on April 02, 2010, 09:10:13 AM
Kinda apropos to the previous dust up about flashing high beams...

Driving in the fast land in moderate traffic at about 60 mph on the freeway with about two car lengths' space in front of me, and in my rear view mirror I see an idiot shooting up the middle lane and sure enough, he makes a hole shot for the spot in front of my. Unable to control the desire not to, I flash my high beams at him (it was wet, and I got sprayed).

As could be predicted by this sort of driving, sure enough he hits the brakes and slows the entire land down to about 35 mph. I try to pass in the middle lane but he he swerves to prevent me. People of course start diving into the middle land to get around this calamity (he doesn't swerve on them) leaving me behind this piece of garbage. This continues for about a mile mile. The middle lane finally opens up, and I dart past him easily (he was in some POS compact). He was laughably working the gears trying to race me or some such. After I blew past and continued about my business he was doing all sorts of weaving and dodging and all sorts of other nonsense presumably trying to catch up to me. He finally gets up to me and is screaming and raising his phone (as if taking a picture).

As is typical nowadays, pretty much anytime anyone intentionally irks me on the open road I call 911. 911 connected me to the State Patrol, who already said they had another complaint on this guy (LOL - maybe even me too), so hopefully they got him. Not sure what they can do based on a complaint, but a piece of garbage like that hopefully has warrants earning him a ride to the poky.

Also, it's my experience, both personal and otherwise, that even outside Houston flashing high beams no matter the justification will 50% of the time bring an unpleasant response (though usually not nearly as drastic as aforementioned road rage incident). I don't recommend it. Forcing others to alter their driving to accommodate what is probably above/extra legal speeds is simply bullying (and why many Americans won't respond kindly to it) and using it as a means of reciprocating displeasure at bad driving is like throwing rocks at a chained-up rabid dog. In short, it's not a good idea, and it is also a traffic infraction in most any jurisdiction.

Had a guy in an Exploder doing something similar to me on the way down to Boulder on thursday night.  He was doing the whole weave and swerve thing and ended up on my ass.  He tried to do that this guy did to you but I blocked him out.  The highway has a few lights despite the rather high speed limit, so at one light I got a hole shot and he was behind me... and soon waaay behind me, but he managed to race up to me again and finally managed to cut me off.  From there I just sort of had to relax a bit because I realized I was driving a bit aggressively as well and probably contributing to the general disturbance this guy was causing, but it was still laughable.  Next time I'll just mind my own business and call *CSP to report the aggressive driver.

Tave

I'd be a little leery of calling the police on my cellphone while driving to report a traffic infraction, since using your cellphone while driving is (depending on the state you live in) a traffic infraction itself. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

dazzleman

Quote from: Tave on April 03, 2010, 08:17:57 AM
I'd be a little leery of calling the police on my cellphone while driving to report a traffic infraction, since using your cellphone while driving is (depending on the state you live in) a traffic infraction itself. :huh:

I think it's possible to overdo that.  The police couldn't possibly respond to every call.  I would save that for the really dangerous/serious infractions.  Otherwise, I'd hate to be a snitch.  We all do plenty of things, and ultimately what goes around comes around.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

S204STi

Yeah, good points.  I guess if he were to nearly cause an accident that might be justification, but overall it's probably best to just let him be a douche.

S204STi

Although I did report a guy a couple of years ago whose passengers were throwing unopened cans of soda at a couple of bikers on the interstate.  That was an ugly situation...

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on April 03, 2010, 08:47:17 AM
Although I did report a guy a couple of years ago whose passengers were throwing unopened cans of soda at a couple of bikers on the interstate.  That was an ugly situation...

In certain situations, it's the right thing to do, but you can't be a little stoolpidgeon snitching over every little thing, like the kid who tells the teacher that the kid setting next to him ate an M&M in class.

GoCougs

Nah, I don't believe in karma - besides if I did do something that dangerous someone should sic LE on me. IMO Roy's and my situation was a perfect example of getting LE involved.

Minpin

Was he endangering lives or just a few ego's?  :huh:

It seems this all started because you flashed your beams at him....
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Minpin on April 03, 2010, 10:55:43 AM
Was he endangering lives or just a few ego's?  :huh:

It seems this all started because you flashed your beams at him....
NEVER endanger Cougs' ego. He guards it more fiercely than his LIFE.

Rupert

Fortunately for him, it's very large and overinflated, so all the other egos just cower.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA