Why 70 is the new 55

Started by S204STi, March 17, 2010, 04:16:52 PM

S204STi

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704688604575125510326010610.html?mod=yhoofront

"Left to their own devices, American drivers confronted with an open stretch of interstate highway tend to drive at about 70 miles per hour?whatever the legal speed limit happens to be.

Virginia is the 34th state to raise its rural interstate speed limit to 70. WSJ's Joseph B. White says improved car safety was one reason behind the move, but skeptics worry the increase will lead to more fatalities and greater energy use.
.That's the finding of an analysis of speed data gathered by TomTom Inc., a marketer of GPS navigation devices. This helps to explain why safety advocates and conservationists are losing the long-running debate over lowering freeway speed limits.

The Virginia legislature last week passed legislation raising the speed limit on rural interstate highways to 70 mph from 65 mph. The state's new Republican governor, Bob McDonnell, put boosting the legal speed limit high on his list of priorities, and got action less than three months after taking office.

Virginia will become the 34th state to boost interstate speed limits to 70 mph or higher. In big, empty states such as New Mexico, Idaho and Nevada, posted limits on rural interstates can be as high as 75 mph.

TomTom collected speed data from 45 states and the District of Columbia, under agreements with customers who agreed to allow the company to collect the information anonymously to improve the quality of its route guidance by directing customers away from congested roads at peak travel times.
....."

2o6

55 is slow, and many cars still get pretty good economy at 70MPH.

NomisR

Quote from: 2o6 on March 17, 2010, 04:39:59 PM
55 is slow, and many cars still get pretty good economy at 70MPH.

Well, usually, when cars drive at 55 on the freeway, especially the passing lane, there's typically a HUGE line of cars behind them trying to pass.  Of course, the cars next to them are going the same god awful speed too so creating a bigger traffic. 

And of course, these assholes don't realize they're making the road more dangerous for everyone because everyone is now driving so much closer with less room than they would have if the lane wasn't blocked.  Lane campers are the biggest hazard to the road.

cawimmer430

I envy those lucky bastards in Germany and their Autobahns!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 17, 2010, 05:37:18 PM
I envy those lucky bastards in Germany and their Autobahns!

And their RIGHT-LANE drivers!

55mph is entirely too slow in most US areas. If you're not going 10mph over the speed limit on the east coast, you're generally holding up traffic. ESPECIALLY in VA, where they had far too many low-speed (for the traffic and road conditions) areas.
Will

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 17, 2010, 07:49:51 PM

55mph is entirely too slow in most US areas. If you're not going 10mph over the speed limit on the east coast, you're generally holding up traffic. ESPECIALLY in VA, where they had far too many low-speed (for the traffic and road conditions) areas.
I did 75 and 80 mph all the way from San Jose (after I got out of traffic) to Portland and I was not the one doing the passing in California.

Rupert

Quote from: NomisR on March 17, 2010, 04:46:28 PM
Well, usually, when cars drive at 55 on the freeway, especially the passing lane, there's typically a HUGE line of cars behind them trying to pass.  Of course, the cars next to them are going the same god awful speed too so creating a bigger traffic. 

And of course, these assholes don't realize they're making the road more dangerous for everyone because everyone is now driving so much closer with less room than they would have if the lane wasn't blocked.  Lane campers are the biggest hazard to the road.

No, they just annoy you the most.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on March 17, 2010, 08:34:37 PM
I did 75 and 80 mph all the way from San Jose (after I got out of traffic) to Portland and I was not the one doing the passing in California.

Aye. 10 over in the western states will make you the person doing the passing, in just about every non-urban area. I can always pick out which cars are going to get pulled over, because they pass me while I'm doing 10 over (and still passing everyone else).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

It's good to see science like this being used like this.

BimmerM3

I pretty much drive 75-80 on the interstate regardless of what the speed limit is.

Minpin

I had cruise at 80-85 the whole way to and from Florida over spring break. I was passing most people, but there were plenty who were passing me. No ticket, no nothing, really. It was a fine drive.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Rupert

Not to get all accusatory or anything, but I think the speed people who post on car forums drive is like penis size-- always a little bit bigger than reality. :lol:

For instance, I probably average about 5-8 over on the freeway (but I have an excuse-- government plates for most miles I drive :lol: ).

Jon?

Quote from: Minpin on March 18, 2010, 12:27:59 AM
I had cruise at 80-85 the whole way to and from Florida over spring break. I was passing most people, but there were plenty who were passing me. No ticket, no nothing, really. It was a fine drive.

I always let someone going faster than me get about 100 yards ahead then tail them.  They're my anti-radar deflector shield.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 17, 2010, 07:49:51 PM

I'm sure you guys need better driving schools to.

Do the cops in the US enforce these rules at all? I mean if someone in their Prius (because Prius drivers do this!) hogs the fast lane, are they pulled over and beaten...eh, punished by the cops?  :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 18, 2010, 09:16:59 AM

Do the cops in the US enforce these rules at all? I mean if someone in their Prius (because Prius drivers do this!) hogs the fast lane, are they pulled over and beaten...eh, punished by the cops?  :lol:

NO.
If US cops spent half the time enforcing traffic rules (running "pink lights" and lane-camping) as they do catching speeders, global warming would cease, world peace would become a reality.

I've NEVER seen someone pulled over for lane camping. Although it's law most places, for instance in Utah they made it illegal to "let yourself be passed on the right."
-Many states have signs that say "slower traffic drive right". That just makes the camping worse, because big-ego Americans AREN'T SLOW. :rolleyes:
Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 18, 2010, 09:31:00 AM
NO.
If US cops spent half the time enforcing traffic rules (running "pink lights" and lane-camping) as they do catching speeders, global warming would cease, world peace would become a reality.

I've NEVER seen someone pulled over for lane camping. Although it's law most places, for instance in Utah they made it illegal to "let yourself be passed on the right."
-Many states have signs that say "slower traffic drive right". That just makes the camping worse, because big-ego Americans AREN'T SLOW. :rolleyes:

:lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on March 17, 2010, 10:29:11 PM
It's good to see science like this being used like this.

No science here, just adjustment to actual behavior.

Though my hunch the data are heavily biased toward fast drivers.

GoCougs

Safer roads = going after drunks, teens and habitual driving criminals.

After that then we can talk about rules of the road.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2010, 09:54:12 AM
No science here, just adjustment to actual behavior.

Though my hunch the data are heavily biased toward fast drivers.

The science is using the GPS units to accumulate the data. Otherwise how else would they get the average speeds to PROVE to dumb lawmakers??

And I assume your hunch is correct, I GUESS the people using GPS are people in a hurry to get somewhere, are tards behind the wheel and need the guidance, are driving through unfamiliar territory (thus just "follow the flow") or any combination of the above.
Will

NomisR

Quote from: Rupert on March 17, 2010, 10:21:51 PM
No, they just annoy you the most.

How is creating a traffic jam not creating a danger for everyone else?  When traffic is stuck in a pack, there is significantly less room for maneuverability, it means greater chance of getting into an accident.  Also IMO though observation of traffic behavior, at that rate of  speed, people are also less likely to pay attention to the road than at a higher rate of speed which is more dangerous as well. 

If the said person has not lane camped and drove properly in the lane that does not impede traffic, than the traffic would be significantly more spread out which allows more room for incidents. 

And from what i've seen, those same type of drivers are typically  the ones that creates those skids marks on the concrete dividers in the middle of the freeway and the ones that are involved in single car roll overs iin traffic.  :huh: 

I still don't understand how crap like that can happen, but apparently, these people are talented enough to do so..

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2010, 09:56:32 AM
Safer roads = going after drunks, teens and habitual driving criminals.

After that then we can talk about rules of the road.

I love your arbitrary and selective way of selecting what is good and bad for the people.  In other words, from what I've seen, anything that you do, the government should not be involved in and anything you don't do, the government should limit it because it's bad.  How does that make you any different than the people that push for a lot of the ridiculous laws that we have in place today?  You are no better than the "liberals" you like to bash because you are one and the same, you have the same type of mentality, where the law should apply to everyone except me.  You sir, are a hypocrite. 

SVT666

I support a special DL for people who take and pass high speed driving courses like the ones provided by schools like Bob Bondurant that would allow you to speed all you want, except within school zones, construction zones, and in residential areas.  You would get a special license plate so the police know not to pull you over unless you're being dangerous.  I would be first in line for a DL like this.

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on March 18, 2010, 10:21:42 AM
I love your arbitrary and selective way of selecting what is good and bad for the people.  In other words, from what I've seen, anything that you do, the government should not be involved in and anything you don't do, the government should limit it because it's bad.  How does that make you any different than the people that push for a lot of the ridiculous laws that we have in place today?  You are no better than the "liberals" you like to bash because you are one and the same, you have the same type of mentality, where the law should apply to everyone except me.  You sir, are a hypocrite. 
I couldn't have said it any better myself.

S204STi

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 18, 2010, 09:16:59 AM

In Colorado they are pretty good about it.  I've seen it happen twice, and I've heard other people complain about being ticketed for left lane camping as well.  They have some other term for it, like impeding the flow of traffic or something, but the state law is that you must keep to the right unless you are overtaking someone.

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 18, 2010, 10:12:16 AM
The science is using the GPS units to accumulate the data. Otherwise how else would they get the average speeds to PROVE to dumb lawmakers??

And I assume your hunch is correct, I GUESS the people using GPS are people in a hurry to get somewhere, are tards behind the wheel and need the guidance, are driving through unfamiliar territory (thus just "follow the flow") or any combination of the above.

My two presumptions are; the small sliver of those using the Tom Tom and actually agreed to have their speeds monitored are not a statistical example and that the data are subject to manipulation given the political intent.

GoCougs

Quote from: NomisR on March 18, 2010, 10:21:42 AM

Wow is this a terrible post. JUST WOW.

Oh, Tave, where art though? NomisR needs your help in anti-straw manism.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2010, 11:57:03 AM

This is your classic response in an attempt to deflect the attention away from yourself by getting the poster to defend himself instead of calling you out.  Nice try.  It won't work anymore.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on March 18, 2010, 10:41:29 AM
I support a special DL for people who take and pass high speed driving courses like the ones provided by schools like Bob Bondurant that would allow you to speed all you want, except within school zones, construction zones, and in residential areas.  You would get a special license plate so the police know not to pull you over unless you're being dangerous.  I would be first in line for a DL like this.

Of the 34 legal and practical ways in which this is a disaster, the most prominent is that it would foster to a greater degree one of the major (and hardest to address) problems on the roadways - disparate vehicle speed.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2010, 12:06:25 PM
Of the 34 legal and practical ways in which this is a disaster, the most prominent is that it would foster to a greater degree one of the major (and hardest to address) problems on the roadways - disparate vehicle speed.

So less freedom = better?  Strange coming from you.

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2010, 11:57:03 AM

So you're the only one that can use the strawman argument while others can't?  Yet I have more people that agree with me than with you, so I'm not the only one that has problems with your arguments.    

Edit:  Also, how has that post been a strawman argument as those are the things you have said.