Why 70 is the new 55

Started by S204STi, March 17, 2010, 04:16:52 PM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: TurboDan on March 19, 2010, 05:30:04 PM
No tickets. Spotted just one single police vehicle the whole trip, right near the NC-SC border.

Last time I went up I-95  I saw NO LIE 35 state highway patrol in a 15mile stretch in NC. It was the first weekend of October last year.

Sometimes they stake out I-20 west to Atlanta, 4-5 troopers in a 2hr trip.
Will

Tave

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 19, 2010, 11:57:34 AM
The one thing I will admit is that most of the time people ignore flashing headlights behind them because they have the same attitude as Cougs: that they have the right to camp in the passing lane in spite of apparent signage indicating otherwise. That said, it's ridiculous to consider it an offensive course of action. It's no more offensive than using your turn signal to let  other drivers know you want to change lanes.

Quote from: NomisR on March 19, 2010, 02:41:03 PM
You seem to fail to gasp why people are attacking you.  Nobody is creating a false position for you as those are the same positions you have repeatedly stated for yourself through various posts on this forum.  This is no strawman.  If you really believes it is such, than clarify what your true position in the matter is, but like always, you never do.  

LOL

C'mon guys, at least give his posts a cursory run-through before flying off the handle.

His position is relatively easy to understand.

For starters, NOT ONCE did he endorse left-lane campers or otherwise sanction the behavior.

He simply questioned the wisdom of "enforcing" lane discipline on your own through devices like flashing lights, tailgating, cutting people off, etc...

For Pete's sake, he even acknowledged that he, from time to time, participates in the very behavior y'all support! All he said was it isn't the safest idea.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

Tave yet proves again to the be the smartest fellow on these here boards.

In all seriousness guys, yes, I know I engender angst at times, but really, let's read first before deciding to launch Voltran-like into these straw man efforts.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 19, 2010, 10:53:58 PM
Tave yet proves again to the be the smartest fellow on these here boards.

In all seriousness guys, yes, I know I engender angst at times, but really, let's read first before deciding to launch Voltran-like into these straw man efforts.

I thought you left this thread.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Tave on March 19, 2010, 09:50:48 PM

LOL

C'mon guys, at least give his posts a cursory run-through before flying off the handle.

His position is relatively easy to understand.

For starters, NOT ONCE did he endorse left-lane campers or otherwise sanction the behavior.

He simply questioned the wisdom of "enforcing" lane discipline on your own through devices like flashing lights, tailgating, cutting people off, etc...

For Pete's sake, he even acknowledged that he, from time to time, participates in the very behavior y'all support! All he said was it isn't the safest idea.

I realize that Cougs is just playing devil's advocate or whatever, but what I'm saying is that people shouldn't feel offended/threatened/whatever if someone flashes their high beams at them. It's just a simple signal of an intent to pass.

dazzleman

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 20, 2010, 01:13:17 AM
I realize that Cougs is just playing devil's advocate or whatever, but what I'm saying is that people shouldn't feel offended/threatened/whatever if someone flashes their high beams at them. It's just a simple signal of an intent to pass.

I agree with you.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 19, 2010, 09:02:02 PM
Last time I went up I-95  I saw NO LIE 35 state highway patrol in a 15mile stretch in NC. It was the first weekend of October last year.

Sometimes they stake out I-20 west to Atlanta, 4-5 troopers in a 2hr trip.

That makes it even more fun, if you can manage to speed most of the time through a situation like that and emerge without a ticket.  VICTORY!!!
:lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

I agree with the general premise expressed in the original post.

The handling of cars has improved so much in the past 30 years that I've been driving.  With the cars I used to drive, 70 mph was pretty fast, and 80 mph was almost inconceivable.  Even at 65, the steering wheel used to shake.  If you applied the brakes hard, the car would skid.  Today's cars are much better and can handle a higher speed.

S204STi

What do you say we start leading the way in making 90 the new 70?  Feels pretty comfortable to me. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on March 20, 2010, 07:35:35 AM
What do you say we start leading the way in making 90 the new 70?  Feels pretty comfortable to me. :lol:

Well, if you want to get led off in cuffs, give it a shot.... :lockedup:
:lol:

I'm actually not very comfortable driving at 90 mph unless the road is mostly empty.  When there's a lot of traffic, anything can happen, and you're trusting the other drivers not to do something stupid.  No matter how well built a car is and how well it handles, the laws of physics still apply if you hit something.

S204STi

You know, I don't think I've driven on the Interstate here for at least a couple of months.  I think my top speed has been all of 70mph lately.

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on March 20, 2010, 07:45:50 AM
You know, I don't think I've driven on the Interstate here for at least a couple of months.  I think my top speed has been all of 70mph lately.

wuss..... :lol:

omicron

110km/h (68mph) is the open-road limit in South Australia, but not until you're a reasonable distance out of the metropolitan area. The main freeway from Melbourne is one long downhill gradient for the last few kilometres, so you have to really try not to ride the brakes, especially when they slip an 80km/h zone on you right near the end.

dazzleman

Quote from: omicron on March 20, 2010, 08:38:53 AM
110km/h (68mph) is the open-road limit in South Australia, but not until you're a reasonable distance out of the metropolitan area. The main freeway from Melbourne is one long downhill gradient for the last few kilometres, so you have to really try not to ride the brakes, especially when they slip an 80km/h zone on you right near the end.

That's way too slow for the open road.

omicron

Quote from: dazzleman on March 20, 2010, 08:40:21 AM
That's way too slow for the open road.

The best I can do these days is 130km/h (81mph) in the Northern Territory, now that they've slapped limits out north. Sad face.

dazzleman

Quote from: omicron on March 20, 2010, 08:42:07 AM
The best I can do these days is 130km/h (81mph) in the Northern Territory, now that they've slapped limits out north. Sad face.

You can always speed, brother.  :ohyeah:

omicron

Quote from: dazzleman on March 20, 2010, 08:44:30 AM
You can always speed, brother.  :ohyeah:

AND BE THROWN IN JAIL FOR 5467734698 YEARS.

dazzleman

Quote from: omicron on March 20, 2010, 08:46:06 AM
AND BE THROWN IN JAIL FOR 5467734698 YEARS.

Jail?  You might like that.... :evildude:

The risk is what makes it more fun. :pullover:

GoCougs

Vinsanity

thank God someone rescued us from the big nasty GoCougs. I don't know what would have become of us...

3.0L V6

Quote from: omicron on March 20, 2010, 08:38:53 AM

Are speed cameras big in Australia? I know in the UK it's a huge industry. Speeding isn't much fun if you don't get the thrill of dodging the law - getting tickets mailed to you weeks after the offense by some automated bureaucracy would take all the thrill out of it.

cawimmer430

Quote from: TurboDan on March 19, 2010, 05:47:24 PM
I don't know why American unmarked cars are the same models as the marked cars. Wouldn't it be more effective to have your unmarked cars be from a different brand than what everyone expects is "a police car?"

I never quite understood that. I know the Cali Highway Patrol did use some Volvos for a while, but they were marked anyway.

When you see a cheap-looking current BMW 3-Series in a bland dark gray with two suspect people sitting in front in Germany - it's an unmarked cop car.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

dazzleman

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on March 20, 2010, 12:59:39 PM
Are speed cameras big in Australia? I know in the UK it's a huge industry. Speeding isn't much fun if you don't get the thrill of dodging the law - getting tickets mailed to you weeks after the offense by some automated bureaucracy would take all the thrill out of it.

Dude, that's exactly the way I see it.  I guess that's the whole point, but it sucks.  I love the cat and mouse game of maximizing my speed while successfully dodging the law.

dazzleman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 20, 2010, 01:08:50 PM

When you see a cheap-looking current BMW 3-Series in a bland dark gray with two suspect people sitting in front in Germany - it's an unmarked cop car.  :lol:

I really want to drive on the Autobahn.  I'm going to Europe this summer, but I won't be driving at all, and I won't be in Germany.  Maybe next time, I can hit the autobahn.

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on March 20, 2010, 04:32:40 PM
I really want to drive on the Autobahn.  I'm going to Europe this summer, but I won't be driving at all, and I won't be in Germany.  Maybe next time, I can hit the autobahn.

Where will you be in Europe? What car do you plan on renting? Even with a small economical diesel or gasoline engined car, you can still reach speeds of 170 km/h+.  :ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

dazzleman

I'll be in Europe in late July, but I'll be mainly in Scandinavia.  I'm spending some time in Copenhagen and Stockholm and taking a cruise to Finland, Russia, Latvia and Poland.  Not renting any car this time.

I'll have to come back so I can fly down the autobahn.  It's something I really want to do.

AutobahnSHO

Dude- Germany is just an hour flght away.

YOU MUST GO DRIVING.
(Rent the same car you drive now, so there's no learning curve for the vehicle. The traffic is it's own bear. Get someone who has been there before to co-pilot. ;) )
Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on March 20, 2010, 06:24:31 PM
I'll be in Europe in late July, but I'll be mainly in Scandinavia.  I'm spending some time in Copenhagen and Stockholm and taking a cruise to Finland, Russia, Latvia and Poland.  Not renting any car this time.

I'll have to come back so I can fly down the autobahn.  It's something I really want to do.

Scandinavia is expensive as hell!  :mask:

At least you can go on a shopping spree in Russia, Latvia and Poland.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

dazzleman

Wimmer, I've been reading up on Scandinavia and the prices are eye-popping.  So are the taxes.  I don't plan to buy much, if anything, there.  Most of my time will be on the cruise.  I hate shopping anyway.

dazzleman

Will, I won't have time for Germany this time, but maybe next summer.