Kinda shopping

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, March 24, 2010, 07:22:15 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

I sold my 540 a few weeks ago and i'm kind of car shopping.

Right now I've been enjoying alittle financial freedom. I've unloaded some items and with a large recent tax return i've got a bank account stuffed full of money.

As much as I love having cash sitting around(either in a account or in the market) I can't help but start to look for something new to drive.

Right now i'm hammering around in my fathers jeep, i've detailed it and fixed a few things for him. However I can't drive such a beast for too long. I'm a car guy and sitting up too high with poor handling and a confused automatic will only last for so long. With that in mind I have been looking at some classifieds here and there, I'm in no hurry at all.

I'm looking for something sub 20K, prefer to be in the 10-12K area so that I can still maintain plenty of on hand cash for other projects and just for financial emergency purposes.

What I need from you all are some suggestions, both statistically and from first hand encounters.

I'm having a hard time shopping for cars due to my requirements and of course the price range.

I want something fun, driver focused with average to better than average power/performance.

Utility is a plus, but not a requirement. This will be a year round car.
So far i have a short(very short) list.

Mazdaspeed3
Mazda 3s 5 door
Mazda RX8
Bmw 3 series

Anything that fits my requirements that i'm missing?

It seems that for bang for the buck mazda can't be beat.

GoCougs

Wow, everyone's rich on the 'SPIN.

I say WRX.

the Teuton

Quote from: GoCougs on March 24, 2010, 07:24:47 PM

I say WRX.

Plus one, Cougsy. Plus one.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: GoCougs on March 24, 2010, 07:24:47 PM

I say WRX.

Haven't been following, so i don'g know what you are talking about.

Good point, and something I considered.

WRX wagon is certainly a top pick.

At this point I can't somewhat be drawn to the OVERALL package the RX8 offers. Though down on power, the balance and overall chassis performance seems to be what I really like in a car.

Subie's, tuned, flat raspy fours and AWD is very tempting as well.

Side story, I'll never forget years ago when i was outside at work smoking(long time ago) and i saw a bug eye wagon come flying out of the parts store on main street. Everyone for blocks HEARD this, I was lucky enough to see it. The unbelievable scream of a uncorked flat four and all four tires scrabbling for traction in a wonderful 4 wheel drift.  :rockon:

FlatBlackCaddy

The thing about the RX8 is that 12K buys a pretty clean one owner 35K car.

Subies are hard to come by without tons of miles on them.

the Teuton

That sound is the sex. My next car will hopefully be a WRX or Saabaru...which are considerably cheaper for a better car...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: the Teuton on March 24, 2010, 07:32:19 PM
That sound is the sex. My next car will hopefully be a WRX or Saabaru...which are considerably cheaper for a better car...

Hmm, thanks. Forgot about the bastard saab, they did plummet and should be a nice used buy.

MX793

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 24, 2010, 07:31:21 PM
The thing about the RX8 is that 12K buys a pretty clean one owner 35K car.

Subies are hard to come by without tons of miles on them.

Resale on WRXs seems to be surprisingly good.  I saw a bug-eye for sale by owner on the side of the road last fall and I stopped to see how much they were asking, figuring it might make a nice winter rat.  I thought they weren't going for more than $8K at that age.  They wanted I think $12K for it, which seemed kind of steep for a 7-8 year old car with average mileage.  I looked up the book value on it and sure enough, that was in the expected price range.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Yeah, resale rocks on those cars.

I think the MS3 would be a great buy too.  From all accounts it handles better than the WRX stock, and it should gain on one in a straight line (unless it's a tuned 2.5L).

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm thinking

RX8
Mazdaspeed3
BMW 330i
WRX
Minicooper S (edit)

seems to be the simple short list for used.

Possible new would be a GTI lease, though i prefer used for savings purposes.

FlatBlackCaddy

I've also thought about selling the Z and making dreams come true.....in the form of a F355.

Rupert

Oh dear. Bugeye is this:

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FlatBlackCaddy

MX793

Quote from: Rupert on March 24, 2010, 08:13:44 PM
Oh dear. Bugeye is this:

:lol:

I thought those were called "Frog Eyes".
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Jon?

Quote from: MX793 on March 24, 2010, 07:35:20 PM
Resale on WRXs seems to be surprisingly good...

You're not kidding.  When I bought my STi brand new I got it for under invoice at the dealership.  When I sold it, it was for what I paid for it new. 

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Jon™ on March 24, 2010, 08:20:56 PM
You're not kidding.  When I bought my STi brand new I got it for under invoice at the dealership.  When I sold it, it was for what I paid for it new. 

Reminds me of my EVO, i beat the hell out of the dealer.

Bought it for well under invoice, drove it for 18 months and sold it for 3 grand more than i payed.

Still, all said and done, I wish i would have kept it.

FlatBlackCaddy

Back on topic I know we have owners of all my short list cars(save maybe the speed3). Would love some owners impressions on reliability and repair costs etc.

I can't believe rotor would miss a op to plug the old wanker....er wankel. :lol:

Raza

Hm...why not another Evo?

I can't imagine you in a GTI.  If you're going to buy new, the new widebody WRX looks pretty damn good. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

I lust after a Mazdaspeed3.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on March 24, 2010, 08:25:03 PM
Hm...why not another Evo?

I can't imagine you in a GTI.  If you're going to buy new, the new widebody WRX looks pretty damn good. 

Alittle higher in price, though i haven't looked.

The reality is that I got good money for my evo because there are none around this area. At best I would have the pick of maybe 2-3, not a good buying position to be in.

I like(really like) the new GTI, while I despise most other(not your, the younger beat up jetta kids) owners I could look past if for a good car.

I would be leasing, not buying(though probably buying the lease at the end). This is another thing that makes the GTI attractive. With low lease rates it is a damn good car for the money.

Frankly, considering your raza, i'm surprised you didn't push me on the financially wreckles emotional decision of the F355.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: The Pirate on March 24, 2010, 08:27:38 PM
I lust after a Mazdaspeed3.

I want the first gen.  Not just for price reasons but i prefer the front end design.

sadly everyone in my area is red, Black is all i would go for.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 24, 2010, 08:29:25 PM
Alittle higher in price, though i haven't looked.

The reality is that I got good money for my evo because there are none around this area. At best I would have the pick of maybe 2-3, not a good buying position to be in.

I like(really like) the new GTI, while I despise most other(not your, the younger beat up jetta kids) owners I could look past if for a good car.

I would be leasing, not buying(though probably buying the lease at the end). This is another thing that makes the GTI attractive. With low lease rates it is a damn good car for the money.

Frankly, considering your raza, i'm surprised you didn't push me on the financially wreckles emotional decision of the F355.

I'm really tired.  I'm off my game.  I'm leasing to buy my Jetta as well; good way to keep your initial costs down, though many here are against leases.  I think the GTI is a great car, but you already know how I feel about Volkswagen, so I didn't feel the need to say it again. 

As far as the 355...great car, gorgeous, and insane.  They're still running in the 90K range, aren't they?  At that price, you could lease a GTI for a daily driver and buy a last generation Maserati Spyder and still have money left over.   :lol:

And the Mazdaspeed3.  It's a cool car and all, but I don't get the worship. Good looking, quick, and they handle well, sure, but it seems like you could do better for the money.  I didn't even bother shopping one in 2008.  I'd much rather have a Civic Si sedan. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Quote from: MX793 on March 24, 2010, 08:17:56 PM
I thought those were called "Frog Eyes".

In the UK, they are. In the States, it's Bugeye.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on March 24, 2010, 08:35:52 PM
I'm really tired.  I'm off my game.  I'm leasing to buy my Jetta as well; good way to keep your initial costs down, though many here are against leases.  I think the GTI is a great car, but you already know how I feel about Volkswagen, so I didn't feel the need to say it again. 

As far as the 355...great car, gorgeous, and insane.  They're still running in the 90K range, aren't they?  At that price, you could lease a GTI for a daily driver and buy a last generation Maserati Spyder and still have money left over.   :lol:

And the Mazdaspeed3.  It's a cool car and all, but I don't get the worship. Good looking, quick, and they handle well, sure, but it seems like you could do better for the money.  I didn't even bother shopping one in 2008.  I'd much rather have a Civic Si sedan. 

F355's from the mid 40's, clean, private party.

Blasting through the countryside at 7500rpm's in a ferrari, priceless.

The MS3 is attractive because of the performance(raw, compared to a GTI) and the price of entry plus alittle of that 5 door utility.

I have no doubt the GTI is a more refined package, though early gens are either half assed(1.8's, IMO) or ugly(previous GTI's front bumper).

Rupert

FlatBlackCaddy

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 24, 2010, 08:30:44 PM
I want the first gen.  Not just for price reasons but i prefer the front end design.

sadly everyone in my area is red, Black is all i would go for.

Oh yeah, first gen for me too, for the same reasons.  I just wish it had a sunroof.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.