Scion tC

Started by 2o6, March 31, 2010, 02:51:36 PM

2o6

The big reveal for Scion  at the 2010 New York Auto Show is staring you square in the face. Meet the 2011 tC. Scion describes the car as defining "refined aggression." They called it, "masculine," too. Even though the new car borrows fairly heavily from the 2006 Fuse concept (not to mention the outgoing tC), our collective jury is still out on the refined aggression part. But we'll go ahead and agree that the new model does indeed look more masculine, which is good for Scion, as the tC demographic not only skews young (most youthful in the industry it turns out), but very male as well.

As for what's new, the engine is now a 2.5-liter I-4, up from 2.4 liters. Power is up as well. The new tC ships with a respectable 180 horsepower and 173 pound-feet of torque. That's plus 19 ponies and 11 pound feet. The suspension is now "sport tuned" and the power steering is electronic, which Scion assured us better allows the engineers to dial in more steering feel. Uh-huh.

The new tC also gets better gas mileage than the previous car (no word yet on exactly how much better) and comes with two new transmissions. There's a six-speed automatic that features sequential-shift (Scion-speak for a manual shift mode) as well asa six-speed manual that promises more refined shifting than the old five-speed.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/31/2011-scion-tc-new-york-auto-show-2010-reveal
-------------------------

Boo and frown. For starters, it's ugly and boring. Just call it a Corolla coupe. Secondly, that was a lazy effort sticking a generic motor in there. A 2.5L making only 180HP seems lackluster and wasteful. And the styling is pretty lazy, too. Interior looks good, though.

The Forte Koup seems to be a more desirable car.

Raza

It looks like the old one.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

It looks fine inside and out, which is something of an achievement.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21668.msg1299330#msg1299330 date=1270068957
It looks like the old one.

I wouldn't be surprised if the basic platform was the same.

Quote from: ifcar on March 31, 2010, 02:56:40 PM
It looks fine inside and out, which is something of an achievement.

Scion is supposed to be the youth-oriented make, which means fun and funky, not old and bland.

MX793

Looks like the old one with a little more Corolla inspiration and some Dodge Avenger in the rear quarter windows.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on March 31, 2010, 02:57:42 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the basic platform was the same.

Scion is supposed to be the youth-oriented make, which means fun and funky, not old and bland.

I've seen nothing that indicates youths aren't interested in cleanly-styled two-doors. I'd guess the tC has always had by far the lowest median age of the Scion brand.

Catman

WookieOnRitalin

I like the old one better quite frankly.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

S204STi

Everything behind the b-pillar is kinda... I dunno.  Not sure I like it.

Vinsanity

Well, there goes my bet that the Toyobaru FT-86 will become the next Scion TC.

IMO, the biggest thing they needed to do was upgrade the powertrain, which shouldn't have been too hard anyways (one might have even hoped for a 200+hp turbo model). As far as the styling goes, the TC faced the same dilemma the 350Z did: the difficulty of following up on a familiar and attractive design. In both cases, they kept the familiarity aspect, but in both cases as well, the attractiveness aspect is now put into question. I guess we'll get used to it.

As for the Toyobaru, I suppose we'll now know it as the Toyota Celica/Subaru Alcyone (although I'm still hoping for the slight chance Toyota uses the "Trueno" nameplate)

omicron

I don't hate it, I suppose.

r0tor

"I want to be a GTR but can't"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Catman

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on March 31, 2010, 08:59:21 PM
I like the old one better quite frankly.

Did you just say "quite frankly"?

AutobahnSHO

What the crap is with the 90million bends the shifter gate takes nowadays? how about just a couple?
Will

nickdrinkwater

About as boring as it could possibly be to say it's supposed to be a sporty coupe.

Also, isn't that a little on the large side for a 4-cylinder engine?  The new SEAT Ibiza CUPRA makes 180-brake from a 1.4 twin-charger engine.  Is Toyota really that behind on engine tech?

MX793

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 02, 2010, 08:21:46 AM
About as boring as it could possibly be to say it's supposed to be a sporty coupe.

Also, isn't that a little on the large side for a 4-cylinder engine?  The new SEAT Ibiza CUPRA makes 180-brake from a 1.4 twin-charger engine.  Is Toyota really that behind on engine tech?

The 2.5 is an engine Toyota is already using in America, so it already has been certified for sale here (gone through all required emissions testing, etc).  There are actually quite a few 2.4-2.5L 4-cyl motors in the American market.  It's the standard size for the base engine in most midsize mainstream sedans.  Fusion, Mazda6, Legacy, Altima and Camry all use 2.5L 4s as their base motor.  Honda and Hyundai are using 2.4L 4s.

By and large, the general public in America have demonstrated a preference for larger displacement over forced induction for mainstream market cars (in part because early turbo cars in the 70s/80s weren't especially reliable), though that is starting to change.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Morris Minor

Quote from: MX793 on April 02, 2010, 08:59:07 AM
The 2.5 is an engine Toyota is already using in America, so it already has been certified for sale here (gone through all required emissions testing, etc).  There are actually quite a few 2.4-2.5L 4-cyl motors in the American market.  It's the standard size for the base engine in most midsize mainstream sedans.  Fusion, Mazda6, Legacy, Altima and Camry all use 2.5L 4s as their base motor.  Honda and Hyundai are using 2.4L 4s.

By and large, the general public in America have demonstrated a preference for larger displacement over forced induction for mainstream market cars (in part because early turbo cars in the 70s/80s weren't especially reliable), though that is starting to change.

Our new CAFE standards will change all that. By 2016 we'll all be driving little 1.4L diesel-electrics.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

ifcar

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 02, 2010, 11:17:32 AM
Our new CAFE standards will change all that. By 2016 we'll all be driving little 1.4L diesel-electrics.

Our new CAFE standards will have negligible effect.

MX793

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 02, 2010, 11:17:32 AM

Bear in mind that CAFE uses the unadjusted fuel mileage number, not the "adjusted" window sticker number.  A car that has a window sticker average mileage of 27 mpg is actually well above 30 mpg when it comes to the CAFE mileage figure.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Minpin

The tC has gone downhill in styling ever since they redid the taillights. I like my 06 a lot more.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

93JC

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 02, 2010, 08:21:46 AM

The regular old Ibiza has a 1.4 L, naturally aspirated, that makes a paltry 85 PS. Is SEAT/VW that behind on engine tech?

MX793

Quote from: 93JC on April 03, 2010, 10:22:06 AM
The regular old Ibiza has a 1.4 L, naturally aspirated, that makes a paltry 85 PS. Is SEAT/VW that behind on engine tech?

That's pretty bad.  Doesn't the 1.5 in the Yaris make over 100 hp?
Needs more Jiggawatts

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 93JC on April 03, 2010, 10:22:06 AM

Well, the Ibiza is budget alternative to the Polo and that particular model is the 'bread and butter' of the range.  Whereas the Cupra is a relevant comparative here - it's putting out a similar amount of power and it's going for a similar demographic.

Though yes, SEAT is behind VW for engine tech in some cases, because it's a cheaper alternative - you get what you pay for.

I'd expect a better bhp/litre ratio from a sporty coupe such as the Scion.  72bhp/litre is pretty poor really.  And I read in another thread that Toyota also has a 2.7l 4-cylinder in some models.  The largest 4-cylinder gasoline engine in production?

MX793

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 04, 2010, 09:52:12 AM
Well, the Ibiza is budget alternative to the Polo and that particular model is the 'bread and butter' of the range.  Whereas the Cupra is a relevant comparative here - it's putting out a similar amount of power and it's going for a similar demographic.

Though yes, SEAT is behind VW for engine tech in some cases, because it's a cheaper alternative - you get what you pay for.

I'd expect a better bhp/litre ratio from a sporty coupe such as the Scion.  72bhp/litre is pretty poor really.  And I read in another thread that Toyota also has a 2.7l 4-cylinder in some models.  The largest 4-cylinder gasoline engine in production?

Scion is a "budget" brand aimed a young people with little money.  Toyota's not going to be putting their most advanced powertrains in there.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Minpin

My tC has been perfect at whatver I have thrown at it. I can just barely fit my whole life into it, WITH! two passengers. It really will swallow up a lot of cargo, as long as you mind not being able to see out of the mirror.  :lol:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

93JC

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 04, 2010, 09:52:12 AM

The Scion tC is a plebeian front-drive coupe that competes with cars like the Ford Focus coupe, Chevrolet Cobalt coupe, and maybe even the Volkswagen Golf 3-door (which has with a 170 hp 2.5 L five-cylinder in North America, FYI...).  The main selling point of the tC is price, not whiz-bang engine technology.

QuoteThough yes, SEAT is behind VW for engine tech in some cases, because it's a cheaper alternative - you get what you pay for.

Yeah, and the SEAT Ibiza Cupra is ?16,545. The Scion tC is $17,770, or ?11,645.66...

QuoteI'd expect a better bhp/litre ratio from a sporty coupe such as the Scion.  72bhp/litre is pretty poor really.

So? What difference does it make? Keep in mind a Scion tC owner doesn't have to worry about displacement taxes, CO2 taxes, this tax, that tax and the other tax.

QuoteAnd I read in another thread that Toyota also has a 2.7l 4-cylinder in some models.  The largest 4-cylinder gasoline engine in production?

The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon pickups are powered by a 2.9 L (185 hp, 195 lb-ft) four-cylinder.

omicron

Oddly enough, the more I see this car the more I like it, and I'm not sure at all why.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 93JC on April 04, 2010, 05:55:27 PM
The Scion tC is a plebeian front-drive coupe that competes with cars like the Ford Focus coupe, Chevrolet Cobalt coupe, and maybe even the Volkswagen Golf 3-door (which has with a 170 hp 2.5 L five-cylinder in North America, FYI...).  The main selling point of the tC is price, not whiz-bang engine technology.

Yeah, and the SEAT Ibiza Cupra is ?16,545. The Scion tC is $17,770, or ?11,645.66...

So? What difference does it make? Keep in mind a Scion tC owner doesn't have to worry about displacement taxes, CO2 taxes, this tax, that tax and the other tax.

The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon pickups are powered by a 2.9 L (185 hp, 195 lb-ft) four-cylinder.

I stand corrected on point 1, and agree with point 3 - it doesn't really matter from a practical POV.  But from a more enthusiast POV I just don't see the point in a large 4-cyl engine.  I'd rather have a small boosted turbo, or a straight six if I'm going to have a larger engine.  I think either would be more fun than a large 4 cylinder.

As for your price comparison, you know that is a pointless comparison.  It's never as simple as an exchange rate conversion, all cars are proportionately cheaper in the US - even models sold on both sides of the pond.

MX793

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 06, 2010, 10:24:07 AM
But from a more enthusiast POV I just don't see the point in a large 4-cyl engine.  I'd rather have a small boosted turbo, or a straight six if I'm going to have a larger engine.  I think either would be more fun than a large 4 cylinder.

Toyota doesn't currently offer a turbocharged motor in the US.  To sell one, they'd have to go through the hassle of getting it certified for sale here.  It would also likely be more expensive to make than the current, dime-a-dozen big 4 cylinder they currently use between the added complexity of a turbocharged engine and the fact that this would be the only car they use said motor in, so they don't have a volume benefit.  A 6 cylinder, assuming it even fit, would definitely be more expensive.  Bear in mind that these are budget sport coupes, not serious performance cars.  This car slots in beneath the Civic Si or Mazdaspeed3 in price by several thousand dollars.  It's really more a competitor for the regular Civic coupe (which has only 140 hp) in price.

Big 4s are not uncommon in inexpensive sporty small cars in the US.  Mostly because they are used as the base engines in midsize sedans, so the motors are already being built in large quantities.  The upper trim level of the Mazda3 has a 2.5L I4 rated at something like 170 hp (same engine is found as the base engine in the Ford Fusion and Mazda6, among others, so it's a common powerplant).  The performance-oriented SE-R version of Nissan's Sentra in the US also uses a 2.5L I-4 rated at 200 hp (this is a tuned version of the base engine found in the Nissan Altima, as well as other Nissan models).  The sport model for the Corolla, the XRS, uses a 170 hp 2.4L (will probably get upgraded to the 2.5 for 2011) which was the base engine in the Camry up until recently.
Needs more Jiggawatts