Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

giant_mtb

So, as some of you may know, I'm getting a new car this summer, and I've been considering the A4, almost exclusively.  My parents came down for the Easter weekend, and we're all in Grand Rapids.  Went to an Audi dealership today and test-drove an A4.  It was awesome.  Very quick, very planted, very pleasant.  I want one.  Badly.

What can I expect?  I've never purchased a car.  How to negotiate?  The sales rep said that he found a few black-on-black, manual-transmission versions in his follow-up e-mail.

More later.  GOtta run.

BimmerM3

Nice man! I didn't know you were one of the resident rich kids around here. ;)

Minpin

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 03, 2010, 03:29:44 PM

He has rich grandparents, iirc.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 03, 2010, 03:29:44 PM

As Minpin said, I'm not a rich kid.  I'm a well-off kid with rich grandparents that doesn't come from a family of people that don't show off their wealth.  It became a "tradition" for my mother's parents to buy the grandsons going into their junior year of college a new vehicle.  I'm certainly no snob about it. :cheers:

giant_mtb

But on the other side, the salesman said he found 3 on a shipment over that he could divert to his dealership; black-on-black, 6-speed manual, etc.  He said they start in MSRP at $33,850 and go up.  What sort of prices do people typically pay?  AFAIK, the consumer usually always pays less than MSRP...

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 03, 2010, 04:46:37 PM
But on the other side, the salesman said he found 3 on a shipment over that he could divert to his dealership; black-on-black, 6-speed manual, etc.  He said they start in MSRP at $33,850 and go up.  What sort of prices do people typically pay?  AFAIK, the consumer usually always pays less than MSRP...

Look up the invoice price for the car + options (you can find this info any number of places, edmunds.com is one that I know of off hand).  Haggle to get as close to it as you can.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

The drive was great.  It achieves 250+ lb-ft. of torque at a Death Valley low 1500 RPM.  It pulls very very well, and the turbo feels great.  I drove an automatic, and the "S" mode on the transmission was very cool.  It holds gears longer, so going through twisties (which we did), it'll hold a gear much longer, and downshift a lot more quickly.  The cornering feel is awesome.  Extremely limited body roll.  Point and shoot!  Conversely, it felt great on the bit of freeway we traversed.  It was a rainy/very windy day, and the car stayed straight, planted, and smooth, and still didn't require us to yell to communicate at 80MPH even though it was pouring rain.  We were driving down a 55-MPH road, and he said "go ahead and punch it."  Gobs of thrust and seconds later, we were suddenly going 80.  The engine is phenomenal, and so is the transmission!  I still think I want to get a manual, though, that's for sure.  So our salesman was really nice; said he even used to detail cars as his job, but got married and decided to sell cars instead.  We got along well. 

I want this car.  It's amazing.

Coming from a kid who drives a Bravada and used to drive a GM w-body, keep in mind. :ohyeah:

S204STi

Those are great cars.  I'm thankful on your behalf for your generous family, that's really cool of them, and no it doesn't make you a spoiled rich snob.  ;)

I'd try to avoid getting emotionally attached to it to the point that you're not willing to walk away from a deal if it doesn't suit you.  That's my only suggestion.

Colonel Cadillac

Mom's got the new A4 and it's a great car. What options are you thinking about getting?

giant_mtb

Quote from: R-inge on April 03, 2010, 05:02:15 PM
Those are great cars.  I'm thankful on your behalf for your generous family, that's really cool of them, and no it doesn't make you a spoiled rich snob.  ;)

I'd try to avoid getting emotionally attached to it to the point that you're not willing to walk away from a deal if it doesn't suit you.  That's my only suggestion.

Of course.  If not this dealer, I can always hit up the dealers in Ann Arbor.

S204STi

giant_mtb

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 03, 2010, 05:04:35 PM
Mom's got the new A4 and it's a great car. What options are you thinking about getting?

Options-wise, I don't necessarily want much.  Heated seats and the upgrade stereo would be nice, but none of it's necessary.  Salesman said that they hardly even build them without so much as heated seats, so I think that will be something I will get.  I considered the sport package (18" wheels, summer tires, tuned suspension), but from a practicality standpoint, will opt not to get it, as tires would be expensive as hell, and I'd have to get some A/S tires in order to use it at home in the winter as it comes with super-duper-amazing summer tires.  I'd love to get the Bang & Olufsen stereo, but it's only an option on Premium Plus models, and those may be out of my price range.  The stock stereo is fine, anyways.

So basically, options aren't a big deal.  If I have heated seats, a manual, and a black exterior, I'll be a happy man.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Smart thinking regarding the sport package.  Not everybody considers the cost of replacement tires.

giant_mtb

MSRP for Premium model with heated seats: $34,995
Invoice: $32,556
"What others are paying": $33,650

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/audi/a4/101186697/optionsresults.html?action=2

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

How many other cars do you plan to test drive, or are you done shopping already?  :lol:

EVO X

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 03, 2010, 05:18:29 PM
How many other cars do you plan to test drive, or are you done shopping already?  :lol:

EVO X

Well, I considered the 370Z, the Mustang, Camaro, WRX, Sky, and that's about it.  Then, as I thought about the fact that this car would be my daily driver for some years to come, I thought more practically and thus crossed off the Z, 'Stang, Sky, and Camaro off the list.  The WRX doesn't "do it" for me like the older models do, and I certainly don't want a used STi.  So, there's the drop-dead gorgeous, sporty, luxurious, and beautiful Audi A4.  Good trunk size, good seating for 4, all-season drivability... it's a winner.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 03, 2010, 05:21:34 PM
Well, I considered the 370Z, the Mustang, Camaro, WRX, Sky, and that's about it.  Then, as I thought about the fact that this car would be my daily driver for some years to come, I thought more practically and thus crossed off the Z, 'Stang, Sky, and Camaro off the list.  The WRX doesn't "do it" for me like the older models do, and I certainly don't want a used STi.  So, there's the drop-dead gorgeous, sporty, luxurious, and beautiful Audi A4.  Good trunk size, good seating for 4, all-season drivability... it's a winner.

I am certainly not arguing against the A4, but it's a good thing to shop around a bit and try different things.

Like a CTS with AWD, starting at $38k, or $43k with direct injection.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 03, 2010, 05:24:58 PM
I am certainly not arguing against the A4, but it's a good thing to shop around a bit and try different things.

Like a CTS with AWD, starting at $38k, or $43k with direct injection.

$35k is my firm price cap, $34k and under is preferable.  I don't an Evo or an STI.  Too "boy racer" for me now.  Audi is classy, I like it.  GTI is also a little too "childish" for me.  It's a great lookin' car, but I can't see myself in one.  BMW 3-series are too 'spensive.  I'd hafta get a bare-bones base model, and I don't really want the image that comes with a BMW.

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on April 03, 2010, 05:02:15 PM
Those are great cars.  I'm thankful on your behalf for your generous family, that's really cool of them, and no it doesn't make you a spoiled rich snob.  ;)

I'd try to avoid getting emotionally attached to it to the point that you're not willing to walk away from a deal if it doesn't suit you.  That's my only suggestion.

But it does make him a rich kid. :lol:

*stirs pot*
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 03, 2010, 05:28:21 PM
$35k is my firm price cap, $34k and under is preferable.  I don't an Evo or an STI.  Too "boy racer" for me now.  Audi is classy, I like it.  GTI is also a little too "childish" for me.  It's a great lookin' car, but I can't see myself in one.  BMW 3-series are too 'spensive.  I'd hafta get a bare-bones base model, and I don't really want the image that comes with a BMW.

Oh, you're such an old man. Have you driven a Ford, lately? Try a Lincoln MKZ.
Is it brand new only, or can you look at some CPO?

the Teuton

I think he should get a 328xi, I'm sorry 328i xDrive28i.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2010, 05:44:15 PM

Yes, you love BMW's.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2010, 05:44:15 PM

I honestly do not want a BMW. They don't stir my insides, and I don't wanna be just another college dewd with a 3series. :huh:

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 03, 2010, 06:00:38 PM
I honestly do not want a BMW. They don't stir my insides, and I don't wanna be just another college dewd with a 3series. :huh:

Not that me asking this question will change your mind, but have you driven one?

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 03, 2010, 06:00:38 PM

BTW, I disdain AWD BMWs with the exception of the X5. I wasn't sure how well the sarcasm translated over the internet.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 03, 2010, 06:43:31 PM
Not that me asking this question will change your mind, but have you driven one?

I have not, and I suspect I'd enjoy doing so quite much. Though, I cannot get past the exterior of them, which has never really stirred my blood, save for a few M vehicles.  Plus every time I think of a 3-series, images of silly rich girls and douchebag bros enter my mind. :mask: