2006 Subaru Impreza

Started by BMWDave, August 28, 2005, 08:11:34 PM

BMWDave

Link

August 26, 2005

First Drive:
2006 Subaru Impreza
Story and photos by Grant Yoxon

Mont Tremblant, PQ - For the 2006 model year, Subaru has tuned up the Impreza, applying the corporate look first seen with the 2006 B9 Tribeca, boosting the output of the sporty WRX model with a new and larger turbocharged engine, and improving the output of the entry level 2.5i sedan, sport wagon and outback with new variable valve lift technology.

What people will notice is the new front-end design which features a three-section mesh-type grille inspired, the company says, by Subaru parent Fuji Heavy Industries' aircraft heritage.  
FHI has been involved in building aircraft since 1916 and currently builds the wings for the Boeing 777. The shape of the Subaru corporate grille loosely resembles the body of an aircraft and wings when viewed from the front.

Also new for 2006 are headlight and taillight assemblies, and revised flared front fenders. Following on the WRX design, all models now have aluminum hoods (and smaller hood scoops on WRX and WRX STI models). Headlights are projector beam halogen on all models except the WRX STI which has Xenon high intensity discharge low beams.

For increased safety, all Impreza's now have new dual-stage advanced front airbags, while the Impreza 2.5i and Outback Sport receive the front seat mounted head and chest side-impact airbags already standard on the WRX.

Not new is all-wheel-drive - a feature that has been standard equipment on all Subarus since 1995. However, Imprezas equipped with the optional 4-speed automatic transmission benefit from a new electronic torque split system that monitors engine speed, estimated steering angle and any speed difference between the front and rear axles to adjust torque distribution for better handling and traction. Previously, torque distribution was determined by pre-set values programmed into a data map.

When equipped with a 5-speed manual transmission, the Impreza 2.5i and Outback Sport use a viscous-coupling limited-slip locking centre differential that distributes power 50/50 front to rear. Both systems power all four wheel under most circumstances and will transfer more power to the wheels with the best grip should slippage occur.

The Subaru Impreza is available in both sedan and wagon (except STI) and range in price from $23,495 for the base 2.5i sedan with manual transmission to $48,995 for the performance topping STI sedan.

Calling the entry level 2.5i (the RS designation has been dropped for 2006) 'base' is misleading as these are some of the best equipped cars in their class at entry level. Equipment such as 16-inch alloy wheels, front-seat mounted side impact air bags, auto-off headlights, roof rack on the wagon, tinted windows, variable intermittent windshield wipers, air conditioning, cruise control, power door locks, power windows, power adjustable side mirrors, remote keyless entry, security alarm, ABS brakes with electronic brake force distribution and, of course, standard all-wheel-drive, are optional features on most other competitors. Be sure to compare apples to apples when shopping for a compact sedan or wagon.

The upscale trim level in models equipped with the naturally aspirated 2.5-litre engine is the Outback Sport Wagon which starts at $27,895 with 5-speed manual transmission. Outback Sport styling is highlighted by a steel grey metallic lower body colour, side mouldings and bumpers, plus projector-beam halogen fog lights. Additional standard features on this well-dress compact wagon include two-tone graphite grey tricot cloth upholstery, heated front seats, lockable crossbars on the roof rack, 7-spoke 16-inch aluminum alloy wheels, map light, retractable cargo cover, 12-volt power outlet in the cargo area, cargo tie down hooks and cargo tray.

The Impreza 2.5i and Outback Sport also get a more powerful version of the 2.5-litre SOHC horizontally opposed, or 'Boxer' engine for 2006. The addition of a variable valve lift system, called I-Active Valve Lift, boosts horsepower to 173 from 165.

Although we didn't get the opportunity to spend any wheel-time with the 2.5i during a recent press preview of the Impreza line-up, this engine is one of the largest displacement engines found in a compact car. It provides more than sufficient power to overcome the inertia of all-wheel-drive, although fuel consumption - rated for 2006 at 10.7 litres per 100 kilometres in the city and 7.5 L/100 km on the highway (manual transmission) - is anything but class leading.

Most of our day at Subaru's Impreza press preview was spent driving the WRX model on the road and on the track at Circuit Mont Tremblant.

For 2006 the WRX gets a new, larger 2.5-litre double overhead cam turbocharged engine, replacing the 2.0 turbocharged power plant. With the 2.5-litre engine, the WRX model - available in both sedan and sport wagon versions - gets a slight increase in horsepower to 230 from 227, but a bigger jump in torque - now 235 lb-ft at 3,600 rpm, up from 217 lb-ft.

The WRX models provide impressive acceleration and road handling ability. The chassis is taut thanks to the stiff spine provided by all-wheel-drive and the ride is firm. But despite this, the WRX traversed some deplorable roads without jarring except through the worst craters. My driving partner and I both commented on the tight feel, the excellent fit and finish, and rattle- and squeak-free interior.

WRX models get new 17-inch alloy wheels and 215/45 R17 Bridgestone Potenza all-season radials for 2006. The security system includes an engine immobilizer. But the big improvement is in braking - the 2006 Impreza WRX receives larger ventilated disc brakes at all four wheels - 292 x 24 mm with 4-piston calipers up front. The rears have 2-piston calipers and measure 288 x 18 mm.

The braking improvement was most noticeable on the track at Circuit Mont Tremblant where journalists were permitted to lap the track at speed. We didn't experience any noticeable brake fade despite repeated laps and more than one WRX entered the pits with smoking wheel wells.

With all-wheel-drive, you have to work hard to kick out the tail - the car tends rather to slide sideways momentarily while all four wheels fight for traction. Despite their all-season rating, the Bridgestone's provided good cornering grip, and the WRX's contoured sport seats kept me well planted.

I like the mechanical sound of the WRX's drivetrain. You feel connected with the machine through all points of contact - the shifter, clutch, brakes, throttle and steering wheel.

Although I am by no means a skilled sports car driver - I drive well below my limits on the road and only approach my limits gradually on the track - I found that I preferred the WRX and its 5-speed manual transmission to the six-speed transmission in the 300 hp WRX STI on the Mont Tremblant track.

While the STI has huge amounts of acceleration and better cornering ability with its rally-derived inverted shock set-up and 225/45R17 Bridgestone Potenza unidirectional summer tires, I suffered continuously from gear confusion. One can circumnavigate Circuit Mont Tremblant in second and third gear in the WRX, but in the STI, one must move up to fourth. But when the engine speed called for fourth gear, I was rapidly running out of track coming into a turn and thinking "second or third?", not "move up to fourth." More time and more laps in the more virile STI might have resolved my confusion.

The WRX STI - the STI derives from Subaru's high performance and motorsports subsidiary, Subaru Technica International - is designed to race. It draws Motorsports technology directly from Subaru's expertise in FIA World Rally Championship competition, although the STI is optimized for paved roads.

For 2006, the STI's 2.5-litre horizontally opposed, turbocharged and intercooled 4-cylinder remains virtually unchanged, producing 300 hp at 6,000 rpm and 300 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm. The turbocharger produces 14.4 psi of maximum boost and a large capacity intercooler uses a manually operated water spray to enhance intercooler efficiency during high-performance driving. Zero to 60 mph (96 km/h) times are typically less than five seconds.

Another driver-controlled feature of the STI is its centre differential (DCCD). In automatic mode, torque is varied front to rear automatically, depending on driving conditions and driver input. The system can determine the ideal power distribution in response to vehicle acceleration, deceleration, steering angle, cornering force and wheel slippage. But set manually, the driver can set the system to transfer as much as 59 per cent of available torque to the rear wheels to increase handling agility.

Aside from the corporate make-over, the principal changes on the STI for 2005 are high intensity discharge low beam headlights, a secondary roof vane spoiler intended to increase downforce at speed, a new rear under-body diffuser to improve aerodynamics, liquid-filled engine mounts, improved DCCD and carbon-plated synchronizers on 4th, 5th and 6th gears.

At $48,995, high racing technology doesn't come cheap. You can get a lot more luxury in the $50,000 price range, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more purpose-built driving machine than the Subaru WRX STI for less than $50K.

To my mind, the WRX appears to be the better buy, and at $35,495 one of the best performance buys on the market for enthusiast drivers who will rarely see a track.

But if you just have to have the best, the STI will not disappoint. To truly experience this car though, you will need to drive on a race track. A free membership to a local motorsports club should be included in the price tag.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

bobwill

I thought it looked great, all I noticed was the clean lines, and the new headlights, then I started reading, noticed mention of the tribeca and took a closer look at the grill.  Yep, they uglied it up. :(
Oh well, one cosmetic flaw on an otherwise great vehicle.

93JC

BMWDave

QuoteI thought it looked great, all I noticed was the clean lines, and the new headlights, then I started reading, noticed mention of the tribeca and took a closer look at the grill.  Yep, they uglied it up. :(
Oh well, one cosmetic flaw on an otherwise great vehicle.
I think the new look fits the car well, it certainly isnt as brash or out of the ordinary like the B9 Tribeca.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

MX793

The grille treatment looks much better here than it does on the Tribeca.  I don't think it looks bad at all.  Not necessarily better than the current car, but not really worse either.  I mean, let's face it, the Impreza isn't exactly going to win a beauty pagent as it is now.  Not that it's ugly, it's just not stunning.

What excites me more is that the regular WRX is supposed to be getting a 2.5L turbo instead of the 2.0L it currently uses.  Hopefully this will alleviate some of the turbo lag that the current car suffers from.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

footoflead

QuoteI think i'm in love :)
Imprezza STI :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TBR

For some reason the Outback Sport looks really good to me now.

Minpin

QuoteWhat excites me more is that the regular WRX is supposed to be getting a 2.5L turbo instead of the 2.0L it currently uses.  Hopefully this will alleviate some of the turbo lag that the current car suffers from.
It says in the article the hp only goes up 3. <_< But the torque gues up i think 20 so not really that big of a difference.

MX793

QuoteWhat excites me more is that the regular WRX is supposed to be getting a 2.5L turbo instead of the 2.0L it currently uses.  Hopefully this will alleviate some of the turbo lag that the current car suffers from.
It says in the article the hp only goes up 3. <_< But the torque gues up i think 20 so not really that big of a difference.
The current WRX is plenty quick with 227 horses, but keep in mind those are peak numbers and don't tell you what the whole power curve looks like.  The larger motor, despite not having much more peak power, will have more torque and more power throughout the range, so when you hit the gas from a roll, the car will respond more readily.  The larger engine also means that less boost will be required to get what is basically the same peak power, so this should reduce turbo lag.  The current 2.0 WRX suffers from major turbo lag, and it's very evident when you compare its 0-60 time to its 5-60 rolling start time.  Or examine the car's 30-50 and 50-70 top gear acceleration times, both of which lag well behind similarly powerful cars like the Cobalt SS, Neon SRT-4, and Acura RSX-S.  It's 5-60 time is also worse than any of the competition.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

bobwill

That's probably 3 horses on the new SAE scale, whereas the old one was probably on the old SAE scale.

Minpin

I never said the WRX was slow but i agree it does suffer from lag but thats half the fun isnt it?

MX793

QuoteThat's probably 3 horses on the new SAE scale, whereas the old one was probably on the old SAE scale.
The differences between old and new scale ratings aren't that large in many cases.  In fact, some cars register higher on the new scale (C6 Z06 has 500 on the old system and 505 on the new).  The new Civic Si would have 200 hp on the old system, but is now rated at 197 by the new system.  In neither case is it a huge change.  However, there are some that have a significant change.  The RSX goes from 210 to 201 with the new standards.  The TL goes from 270 to 258.  And the Caddy STS-v goes from 440 to 469.  However, in the Caddy's case, I have to wonder if the car isn't under rated from the factory anyway.

Also note that the new standards only changes the printed number, the cars will still perform the same whether rated at 258 by the new standard or 270 by the old since nothing else has changed.  However, since it seems many Honda's are taking a hit in their power ratings, it does make one wonder if they weren't tweaking their testing a bit (while still being with the realm of what was allowed in the old SAE standard) to make their numbers look better.
Needs more Jiggawatts

MX793

QuoteI never said the WRX was slow but i agree it does suffer from lag but thats half the fun isnt it?
I don't know about you, but when I stomp on the gas I want the car to respond immediately as I waste the ricer in the Civic next to me from the get go.  I don't want to have to wait for the turbo to spool while the punk starts pulling away so I can catch and pass him somewhere down the road.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Minpin

Completly different opinions i guess. I like hearing it spool up and then that rush of power.Plus i dont intend to do any street racing.

Raghavan

Quick! buy all the current imprezas you can!

giant_mtb

QuoteI think i'm in love :)
Ugh.  Me too. :drool:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :rockon:  

Secret Chimp

I would have expected VVT to do more than just 165->173. Maybe it fattens out the power band or something, or perhaps the potential 180-something horsepower hit fuel economy too much.
The 2.5 replacing the 2.0 in the WRX is a bit of a surprise. Wasn't the 2.0 in the first two cars a forced choice due to rally regulations? How's Subaru still meeting WRC production car rules with this new engine?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

giant_mtb

QuoteI would have expected VVT to do more than just 165->173. Maybe it fattens out the power band or something, or perhaps the potential 180-something horsepower hit fuel economy too much.
The 2.5 replacing the 2.0 in the WRX is a bit of a surprise. Wasn't the 2.0 in the first two cars a forced choice due to rally regulations? How's Subaru still meeting WRC production car rules with this new engine?
They're probably just using the "old" engine for the rally cars...

MX793

QuoteI would have expected VVT to do more than just 165->173. Maybe it fattens out the power band or something, or perhaps the potential 180-something horsepower hit fuel economy too much.
The 2.5 replacing the 2.0 in the WRX is a bit of a surprise. Wasn't the 2.0 in the first two cars a forced choice due to rally regulations? How's Subaru getting around WRC production car rules with this new engine?
As far as the 2.5 in the WRX goes, Subaru will likely still use the 2.0 in other markets, likely Japan and Europe, to meet WRC rules.  And power-wise, 173 isn't too bad for a 2.5L.  I'm not sure if that's new or old SAE standards (the car may make 180 by old SAE).  Keep in mind that variable valve timing is not variable valve lift/duration.  Timing/phasing doesn't have quite the same level of impact on power that changes in lift or duration, like VTEC, do.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Secret Chimp

No, I thought that it was a rally regulation of some sort that the production version of the car on which their rally cars are based had to be offered with the same engine.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

MX793

Homologation rules say they must produce and sell the same machines that they build their race cars out of.  This means they must produce some 2.0L WRXs to race them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

giant_mtb

Well maybe they are using 2.0's everywhere except the U.S....'cause we suck and have dumb regulations?  Err...Canada, rather.

ifcar

It would have been nice if they mentioned anything about the turbo lag, the car's biggest flaw right now.

giant_mtb

QuoteIt would have been nice if they mentioned anything about the turbo lag, the car's biggest flaw right now.
Is it really that unbearable?

ifcar

It's not unbearable, but the car doesn't have any other significant flaws.  

Raza

It's not bad, but the STi does not need that damn roof spoiler.  Hell, the Spec C had the same rear wing as the standard WRX.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

QuoteIt's not bad, but the STi does not need that damn roof spoiler.  Hell, the Spec C had the same rear wing as the standard WRX.
Yeah, that spoiler isn't really necessary unless you have a habit of driving over 110 MPH constantly.

Raza

QuoteIt's not bad, but the STi does not need that damn roof spoiler.  Hell, the Spec C had the same rear wing as the standard WRX.
Yeah, that spoiler isn't really necessary unless you have a habit of driving over 110 MPH constantly.
It's still not necessary.  The regular one would do just fine.  Plus, you're not packing that much power, you have AWD, and they keep tacking on thing that create drag.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

QuoteIt's not bad, but the STi does not need that damn roof spoiler.  Hell, the Spec C had the same rear wing as the standard WRX.
It's still not necessary.  The regular one would do just fine.  Plus, you're not packing that much power, you have AWD, and they keep tacking on thing that create drag.
I don't believe the standard spoiler sits high enough to be terribly effective.
Needs more Jiggawatts