**CKED My Car Up Last Night :facepalm:

Started by Colonel Cadillac, April 12, 2010, 01:54:35 PM

Colonel Cadillac

So I talked to the guy at the body shop today. The estimate is $5700--about half labor half parts, so that's a solid amount less than I thought it could be.

One thing I noticed was they put my car in the system as an s-line, so I'm thinking there might be a chance I get an S-line bumper?! If I do, I'm definitely s-lining the rest of the car. I was considering calling back and having them s-line the entire car anyways and tell the 'rents that's how much it cost.

But that's a little too dishonest.

Colonel Cadillac

Really thinking about seeing if I can s-line the rest of my car. This could be epic. Increase the estimate by $1500...still seems like a reasonable estimate  :winkguy:

The rear s-line treatment could be 'spensive.

giant_mtb

:mask:

Are you parents going to want to see the bill with all the parts listed, though?

Rupert

LOL

Can I save this as an example of Spoiled Rich Kids Syndrome?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CJ

Wait...Your parents are going to pay for this repair in CASH?  $6,000 in cash?  My whole car was less than that.

the Teuton

Quote from: CJ on April 14, 2010, 09:46:38 PM
Wait...Your parents are going to pay for this repair in CASH?  $6,000 in cash?  My whole car was less than that.

My whole car was less than your...well, both of my--

nevermind.

I think that point is moot. In other news, my armpit itches.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 14, 2010, 09:24:45 PM
Really thinking about seeing if I can s-line the rest of my car. This could be epic. Increase the estimate by $1500...still seems like a reasonable estimate  :winkguy:

:facepalm:

Ingrate...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Onslaught

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 14, 2010, 08:54:25 PM
So I talked to the guy at the body shop today. The estimate is $5700--about half labor half parts, so that's a solid amount less than I thought it could be.

One thing I noticed was they put my car in the system as an s-line, so I'm thinking there might be a chance I get an S-line bumper?! If I do, I'm definitely s-lining the rest of the car. I was considering calling back and having them s-line the entire car anyways and tell the 'rents that's how much it cost.

Did the take it apart and do an estimate or was this just looking over it as is? Because if they didn't take it apart then it could be more after they start getting into it.

r0tor

you do realize a real s-line has noticeable interior changes?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Onslaught on April 14, 2010, 10:02:07 PM
Did the take it apart and do an estimate or was this just looking over it as is? Because if they didn't take it apart then it could be more after they start getting into it.

Yeah, that took it apart for the complete estimate.

In other news, not s-lining the rest of the car. That was the screwdrivers talkin'

Quote from: Rupert on April 14, 2010, 09:45:24 PM
LOL

Can I save this as an example of Spoiled Rich Kids Syndrome?

Quote from: CJ on April 14, 2010, 09:46:38 PM
Wait...Your parents are going to pay for this repair in CASH?  $6,000 in cash?  My whole car was less than that.

I'm rich BITCH

the Teuton

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 15, 2010, 10:53:18 AM
I'm rich BITCH

No need to be a douche about it. The PlastiCar will currently whoop the Audi in a straight line...because the Audi's in the shop right now.

:tounge:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: the Teuton on April 15, 2010, 11:02:34 AM
No need to be a douche about it. The PlastiCar will currently whoop the Audi in a straight line...because the Audi's in the shop right now.

:tounge:

I think it was needed, Rupert's an asshole. I mean, I might as well demonstrate the characteristics that define this so-called "Rich Kid Syndrome."

the Teuton

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 15, 2010, 11:06:00 AM

I think it was needed, Rupert's an asshole.

I'll agree with that. My PlastiCar will still currently burn any chances of you winning against me, though...along with probably a quart of oil along the way.

How many miles have you put on it since you purchased it?

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: the Teuton on April 15, 2010, 11:08:08 AM
I'll agree with that. My PlastiCar will still currently burn any chances of you winning against me, though...along with probably a quart of oil along the way.

How many miles have you put on it since you purchased it?

Approximately 5,000 miles, so not too many at all.

the Teuton

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 15, 2010, 11:10:10 AM

Approximately 5,000 miles, so not too many at all.

Didn't you buy it after I bought PlastiCar, though? I've done a little better than 5,000 miles since September.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: the Teuton on April 15, 2010, 11:12:38 AM
Didn't you buy it after I bought PlastiCar, though? I've done a little better than 5,000 miles since September.

Got her mid-August. You probably do more driving to stuff. Outside of New Orleans down here, there's not a whole lot I would want to go to.

Tave

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 15, 2010, 11:06:00 AM
I mean, I might as well demonstrate the characteristics that define this so-called "Rich Kid Syndrome."

I think you did that pretty well in your previous posts:

"Mom and dad, I'm so sorry I wrecked the car you bought me. It's going to cost a lot of money to fix. I can't believe I put this on you."

"Oh and by the way, I'm going to sneak around and do something shady to drive up the repair costs."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Tave on April 15, 2010, 11:39:52 AM
I think you did that pretty well in your previous posts:

"Oh and by the way, I'm going to sneak around and do something shady to drive up the repair costs."

Oh fuck you, I never said I was going to do that.

Tave

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 15, 2010, 12:31:32 PM

Oh fuck you, I never said I was going to do that.

:wtf:

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 14, 2010, 08:54:25 PM

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Colonel Cadillac

"really thinking about..."

You're training to be a lawyer, thinking is not doing. Two entirely different actions. No reasonable doubt there.

MaxPower

Tave's gonna be a good lawyer. He already knows how to drive to the heart of the issue!

The Pirate

Quote from: Onslaught on April 12, 2010, 08:10:15 PM
Go used or even better OEM parts. One bad thing about insurance is they'd put after market  everything on your car so they can save $100 and mess your car up. "You're in good hands" is bull shit.

Just out of curiosity, what's the best insurance company from your end of the business?  If I needed bodywork on my car, I'd fight hard for OEM parts.  My dad had bodywork done on a car once with non-OEM stuff (per the insurance company, I assume, and this was years ago), and the replaced panels were rusted terribly in a few years, while the rest of the car was fine.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Tave

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 15, 2010, 12:54:38 PM
"really thinking about..."

Nevertheless, an obscenely douche-tastic move. Had you actually gone through with it, yes, that would have been even worse.

From the sounds of it, you gave it some serious thought too--to the point of having the body shop (I'm assuming) price it all out for you.

So let's review:

You crash an expensive car your parents bought you. You show us an email you sent them, groveling and apologizing profusely and reassuring them how much you appreciate everything they've done for you.

In an act of kindness, they agree to pay for said damage out of their own pocket.

Turning an about face, you start entertaining thoughts of how you might be able to manipulate the situation for your personal gain, if the price is right and you can siphon away some more money without them noticing.

Two guys call you out.

You get all uppity and call one of them an asshole.

Did I miss anything?

Onslaught

Quote from: The Pirate on April 15, 2010, 02:16:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's the best insurance company from your end of the business?  If I needed bodywork on my car, I'd fight hard for OEM parts.  My dad had bodywork done on a car once with non-OEM stuff (per the insurance company, I assume, and this was years ago), and the replaced panels were rusted terribly in a few years, while the rest of the car was fine.
I can't really tell you who's the best. I think it kind of depends on the area and the people you're dealing with. I will tell you that in Charlotte the ones that seem to work with you are

State Farm, Geico and Progressive. Some of the other small ones are good too.

Nationwide isn't very good at all. And the king of ass hole is Allstate. Allstate can die and everyone who works for them too. They are the biggest A-Holes in the business.

Now if you smash up your own car then regardless of the insurance people they will put some after market stuff on it depending on the age. But Allstate and Nationwide are the worse at this and will do it to a brand new car.

Catman

Quote from: Tave on April 15, 2010, 03:31:32 PM
Nevertheless, an obscenely douche-tastic move. Had you actually gone through with it, yes, that would have been even worse.

From the sounds of it, you gave it some serious thought too--to the point of having the body shop (I'm assuming) price it all out for you.

So let's review:

You crash an expensive car your parents bought you. You show us an email you sent them, groveling and apologizing profusely and reassuring them how much you appreciate everything they've done for you.

In an act of kindness, they agree to pay for said damage out of their own pocket.

Turning an about face, you start entertaining thoughts of how you might be able to manipulate the situation for your personal gain, if the price is right and you can siphon away some more money without them noticing.

Two guys call you out.

You get all uppity and call one of them an asshole.

Did I miss anything?

Sounds about right.  I think there was a "fuck you" in there as well.  Rich.........

the Teuton

The body shop at the BMW dealership did all sorts of expensive cars -- an E92 M3 that had its rear end ripped off, a pretty well beaten RS4, etc. How many aftermarket manufacturers can there be for such rare body panels?

[/off-track]

Onslaught

Quote from: the Teuton on April 15, 2010, 05:16:15 PM
The body shop at the BMW dealership did all sorts of expensive cars -- an E92 M3 that had its rear end ripped off, a pretty well beaten RS4, etc. How many aftermarket manufacturers can there be for such rare body panels?

[/off-track]
Years ago they didn't have really any. Hell, you couldn't even get one for a Mazda MX-5, FD RX-7 or Millenia back in the 90's. But now it's becoming more and more regular regardless of how nice a car it is. I've had to try and make that shit fit many a BMW and other German car these last few years. And then you still have the remanufactured shit I talked about before. You can get that for almost any car. If you ever have a crash then you'd better look at what they figure to fix the thing. Don't think they won't put crap on a nice car.

And you always have used stuff too. Now a used finder is ok if it was OEM to begin with. But a used quarter on some on these cars is almost impossible to use. The reason is they weld them of course but now use special glues too. So when they send you the back half of a car from the junk yard you have to get that old one off without fucking it up. It takes a long time and most bodymen fuck it all to hell. Then your used quarter is going to be made out of filler before it's all said and done. 

Colonel Cadillac

Jeeze, I'm such an immoral person for, while drinking fairly heavily, entertaining the idea of exploiting my car accident for personal gain. You guys are so stuck up, I was thinking about it. I also think about doing a lot of other stuff, like purchasing a Bronco. I really want one. Raza has been thinking about buying another car for awhile (thought about buying the other car for awhile)...

Get a grip.

And no, I did not call the body shop to price it. Upon waking up, I believed it was a bad idea. Things are more exciting while under the influence of alcohol.

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 15, 2010, 08:00:43 PM
Jeeze, I'm such an immoral person for, while drinking fairly heavily, entertaining the idea of exploiting my car accident for personal gain. You guys are so stuck up, I was thinking about it. I also think about doing a lot of other stuff, like purchasing a Bronco. I really want one. Raza has been thinking about buying another car for awhile (thought about buying the other car for awhile)...

Get a grip.

ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!
:lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!