**CKED My Car Up Last Night :facepalm:

Started by Colonel Cadillac, April 12, 2010, 01:54:35 PM

Colonel Cadillac

:facepalm:   :cry:

I might as well copy and paste a portion of the email I sent my father:

I got into a car accident last night. I am fine, nobody was hurt as I was the sole person in the vehicle, and the airbags did not deploy. I hit a parked car and caused a load of damage to my car (considerably less to the parked car, the owner of which I have not heard from, but imagine I will/the insurance company will).

Before getting to the rest, I will note that neither drinking nor drugs were involved. Also, I was not speeding as the accident occurred at a rate of approximately 20 MPH.

Here is what happened: I was driving down Palmer Avenue (if you would like to look on google maps) and looking down a cross street to figure out what a police officer was doing--the infamous rubberneck--obviously not paying attention to where I was going. The parked car (which was black, and the night is black...bad excuse) was on the side of the street just past the cross street, and I hit a small portion on the left hand side of his bumper which may have also reverberated a small amount of sheet metal damage to above the bumper and pummeled the front right quarter of my car.

The damage to my car is slightly more than cosmetic--I noticed as I went over it again this morning--that my front right wheel is turned at a greater angle than the other front wheel indicating additional damage beneath the surface. However, going over the damage and according to my provincial knowledge, I did notice that it seems that the main components do seem still in tact and the frame seems fine. The car is all wheel drive, so I am hoping the driving components pertaining to the front right wheel are intact. However, there is little visibility past a certain point because the hood is sealed shut.

SVT666

Ouch.  Glad you're okay.

BTW, I would really like it if you copy and paste your dad's response.

Eye of the Tiger

;facepalm; does not work on thread titles. Fail^2!
:cry:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

PS Import an RS 4 front bumper for replacement.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

GoCougs

Wow - parents won't be happy with that email. I'm seeing $8k easily.

I've known a lot of people who have done it; friend's younger brother did it three times in the same car.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

Onslaught

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 12, 2010, 01:54:35 PM
:facepalm:   :cry:

I did notice that it seems that the main components do seem still in tact and the frame seems fine. The car is all wheel drive, so I am hoping the driving components pertaining to the front right wheel are intact. However, there is little visibility past a certain point because the hood is sealed shut.

With no more of a bang then that I'd think it be fine.

ifcar

Colonel Cadillac

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: the Teuton on April 12, 2010, 01:59:58 PM
PS Import an RS 4 front bumper for replacement.

Or at least an S-line bumper!

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: SVT666 on April 12, 2010, 01:58:37 PM
Ouch.  Glad you're okay.

BTW, I would really like it if you copy and paste your dad's response.

Sure, I'll do that if it's not too bad haha

For what it's worth, this is another excerpt from the email to show y'all I'm not an ungrateful SOB.

"Anyways, I am extremely sorry that I have caused this accident. I know you were reluctant to purchase me the car, and I have always been extraordinarily grateful for it. This accident was entirely my fault and I am indebted to you for having to bail me out. I never thought I could get into a car accident and believed I was one of the greatest drivers in the world, but we are all humbled at some point in our lives. You have already spent a fortune on the car and on my personal insurance and I am truly sorry that via insurance premiums, you will spend even more. I wish I was financially capable of dealing with this problem myself, but that is not the case. I am truly sorry I have put you in this position. "

Colonel Cadillac

Oh, and I had to move the car a bit to get it into position for the tow truck. Turns out the computer has a sign for AHHH BROKEN DON'T DRIVE ME!

Raza

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 12, 2010, 03:01:08 PM

Why bother?  You'll probably fuck that up too the next time you see something shiny on the side of the road.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Raza  on April 12, 2010, 03:06:29 PM
Why bother?  You'll probably fuck that up too the next time you see something shiny on the side of the road.

Ahh fuck you

Colin

Cars can be mended far more easily than people........... glad that it is only your pride that is injured. It could have been far worse.

Yes, it will probably cost a surprising amount to fix, because modern cars do, but that is what insurance is for.

One to chalk up to experience (as long as you don't do it again!!).

Colonel Cadillac

Turns out we're not going through insurance, my dad wants never to use the insurance again pretty much haha.

saxonyron

Damn, that's a nasty little hit.  It does look all cosmetic, but it's impossible to tell at this point obviously.  As long as you didn't wack the wheel too badly, you should be OK.  Now why doesn't your dad want to go through insurance?  The deductible is around $500 or so, I imiagine, and they'll goose you a little with surcharges, but you're probably talking a $10,000 total repair bill here, assuming you did a couple thousand in damage to the parked car.  The bills add up fast.  Your surcharges shouldn't be more than a few hundred bucks a year for a few years. :huh:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Submariner

On the bright side, you could have been rear ended by some stupid c**t and spend two months without a car that cost 21,000 to fix...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

J86

That sucks dude.  Just out of curiosity, which cross street?

dazzleman

I'm really glad you weren't hurt, Charlie.  Cars can be fixed.  Accidents suck.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on April 12, 2010, 03:06:29 PM

:lol:

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: saxonyron on April 12, 2010, 03:43:34 PM
Damn, that's a nasty little hit.  It does look all cosmetic, but it's impossible to tell at this point obviously.  As long as you didn't wack the wheel too badly, you should be OK.  Now why doesn't your dad want to go through insurance?  The deductible is around $500 or so, I imiagine, and they'll goose you a little with surcharges, but you're probably talking a $10,000 total repair bill here, assuming you did a couple thousand in damage to the parked car.  The bills add up fast.  Your surcharges shouldn't be more than a few hundred bucks a year for a few years. :huh:

I'm not totally sure, but it has to do with the fact that the insurance company already shelled out $500k when my mom hit a cyclist, and my dad reported a few things my sister did. I don't think they can drop us, but I'm not sure how they would react to this.

Quote from: J86 on April 12, 2010, 04:24:38 PM
That sucks dude.  Just out of curiosity, which cross street?

I'm not sure of the name, but a few down from Freret.

the Teuton

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 12, 2010, 03:01:08 PM

Yes.

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 12, 2010, 06:25:56 PM

I'm not totally sure, but it has to do with the fact that the insurance company already shelled out $500k when my mom hit a cyclist, and my dad reported a few things my sister did. I don't think they can drop us, but I'm not sure how they would react to this.

:wtf:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

280Z Turbo

Onslaught

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 12, 2010, 03:21:25 PM
Turns out we're not going through insurance, my dad wants never to use the insurance again pretty much haha.
Go used or even better OEM parts. One bad thing about insurance is they'd put after market  everything on your car so they can save $100 and mess your car up. "You're in good hands" is bull shit.

Onslaught

Quote from: dazzleman on April 12, 2010, 04:58:07 PM
I'm really glad you weren't hurt, Charlie.  Cars can be fixed.  Accidents suck.
Yes, yes they do.

Colonel Cadillac

I had the car towed to the body shop at about 3:30 yesterday. I assume they have not done anything to it since then. I plan to call them tomorrow/today (it's 1:25am) and discuss it. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for when I call them. The authentic parts point by onslaught was a good point and I am wondering of y'all have any other suggestions, cuz that would be beneficial. Thanks

Onslaught

Well if you're paying for it and you say you want good parts then the shop probably wouldn't suggest a "re manufactured bumper." I know I wouldn't. When a car gets hit and the bumper gets messed up and the shop says it need a new one, then throws that old one out in the bumper dump. Later some people come by, take all the bumpers out and take them to their shop. They then take something that I felt was ruined, repair it without even having a car to fit it up against to see if it's correct and sell it as "re manufactured." About 7 out of 10 never fit right and have to be sent back over and over again until you give up and just buy the new one that shouldn't been purchased in the first pace. It makes your repair time much longer then it should be. And even the ones that do "fit" have problems down the road most of the time. If somethings in the trash then we probably had a good reason for it.

I was the only guy in Charlotte who worked on just Mazda's for years. So almost every bumper or headlamp that came to me that was re manufactured for a Mazda was something I threw away and already knew it was junk. I've got tot the point now that I take a saw to everything I throw away so they can't ever try and fix it.

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 12, 2010, 07:57:22 PM
Jesus Christ!!!!!!!!!!!

"You called?"

:lol:

Damn, that sucks about the accident. Everyone has one, I would think, and in the end it makes us better drivers if we learn from our mistakes/experiences. Hope all goes well.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Onslaught

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 13, 2010, 08:35:41 AM

Damn, that sucks about the accident. Everyone has one, I would think, and in the end it makes us better drivers if we learn from our mistakes/experiences. Hope all goes well.  :ohyeah:
I've been hit like 7 times or so but it was always the other persons fault. With the way I drove as a kid I got lucky I never hit anything.