Tangent from Parents want a new car!

Started by WookieOnRitalin, April 20, 2010, 09:48:08 PM

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 20, 2010, 07:53:33 PM
We've been tinkering with this idea for the last couple of weeks and my dad's coming later this week and he might pull the trigger while he's here for a week and a half.

Requirements:

- $35k US cap (30k is probably the goal though)
- Not Japanese
- 4 door

The leader as of yesterday (before we found out we basically can't import it into Canada) was the Genesis. So you get the basic idea of what we're looking for. A comfy sedan, luxo would be nice.

We've been thinking about anything from a Sonata to a Taurus to the Genesis. So we're kind of open to any kind of suggestions.

Let's hear your suggestions.

Why no Japanese? I get your Korean, but is your mom offended by anything made by those islanders?

I'm really only a fan of Subaru, Suzuki, and Mazda anyway and it seems short sighted to exclude them based on the fact they are Japanese.

If everything is equal the best suggestions seem to be either a luxurious compact-midsize SUV or sedan.

If that's the case here's some suggestions:

Sedan:
-Loaded Jetta
-New Buick Regal (available this summer)
-Loaded Sonata
-Loaded Malibu
-Genesis

SUV:
-Sorento
-Equinox
-Tiguan

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

the Teuton

I say Sonata...definitely...10-year warranty. Kzn pride...

....no, this it Korean Pride.

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: the Teuton on April 20, 2010, 09:52:21 PM
I say Sonata...definitely...10-year warranty. Kzn pride...

....no, this it Korean Pride.

:rockon:
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

SVT_Power

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on April 20, 2010, 09:48:08 PM
Why no Japanese? I get your Korean, but is your mom offended by anything made by those islanders?

I'm really only a fan of Subaru, Suzuki, and Mazda anyway and it seems short sighted to exclude them based on the fact they are Japanese.

If everything is equal the best suggestions seem to be either a luxurious compact-midsize SUV or sedan.

If that's the case here's some suggestions:

Sedan:
-Loaded Jetta
-New Buick Regal (available this summer)
-Loaded Sonata
-Loaded Malibu
-Genesis

SUV:
-Sorento
-Equinox
-Tiguan

Not so much my mom but my dad. There's no way he's buying a Japanese car. Or Japanese anything if he can help it.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 20, 2010, 09:55:08 PM
Not so much my mom but my dad. There's no way he's buying a Japanese car. Or Japanese anything if he can help it.

Thanks for not answering my question. Is there any underlying reason? It seems silly.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

And I dunno if you've ever dealt with Koreans, but they (I say they because I pretty much grew up here and don't hang out with the really Korean Koreans that much :lol:) tend to be very hot blooded, patriotic, and usually very anti-Japanese.

And I'm not just talking about the older generation that really grew up when relations between the two countries were really not great. Now it's much, much better but still kids growing up there now are influenced and colored by the whole anti-Japanese sentiments across the country.

WookieOnRitalin

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

SVT_Power

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on April 20, 2010, 10:07:03 PM
Is there anything he is specifically offended by?

Oh...

Japan and their people. No more, no less.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 20, 2010, 10:04:14 PM
And I dunno if you've ever dealt with Koreans, but they (I say they because I pretty much grew up here and don't hang out with the really Korean Koreans that much :lol:) tend to be very hot blooded, patriotic, and usually very anti-Japanese.

And I'm not just talking about the older generation that really grew up when relations between the two countries were really not great. Now it's much, much better but still kids growing up there now are influenced and colored by the whole anti-Japanese sentiments across the country.

The last Korean friend I had drove a Corolla and a Sentra.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 20, 2010, 10:07:44 PM
Oh...

Would you be able to point out a Japanese man randomly in an airport?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT_Power

Quote from: the Teuton on April 20, 2010, 10:10:08 PM
Would you be able to point out a Japanese man randomly in an airport?

I can distinguish between Korean, Japanese, and Chinese (usually even Mainland or from Hong Kong) very accurately. But I have a very hard time distinguishing Vietnamese, Thai and Laotian people.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 20, 2010, 10:07:44 PM
Oh...

It seems like a blind hatred that needs to end at some point. As the world becomes more global, it only makes sense for people to work together now and leave past problems in the past.

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

the Teuton

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 20, 2010, 10:11:55 PM
I can distinguish between Korean, Japanese, and Chinese (usually even Mainland or from Hong Kong) very accurately. But I have a very hard time distinguishing Vietnamese, Thai and Laotian people.

I can distinguish Korean and possibly Chinese, but that's about it. You Azns really do all look alike. ;)

SVT_Power

I don't really hate on any race and I'm generally a nice guy. I like history and I've read about a lot of the historical mess in Asia. Sometimes while reading those, I'm utterly disgusted by who did what. But as far as I'm concerned, that's just a part of history now. I'm definitely not from the generation when any of those events occurred. But I guess the whole Japan thing is a bit touchy since they always refuse to admit their wrongdoings from the past.

I personally would not have a problem buying a Japanese car. Hell, I'm planning on replacing my SVT with a Miata in the near future.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on April 20, 2010, 10:14:16 PM
I can distinguish Korean and possibly Chinese, but that's about it. You Azns really do all look alike. ;)

I can distinguish between Korean, Chinese, Japanese and Pilipino (duh). It's a skill I picked up living in this heavily Asian populated area.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT_Power

Quote from: the Teuton on April 20, 2010, 10:14:16 PM

I have a hell of a time distinguishing european people.

While at the aquarium at Boston, I thought this group of chicks were Scandanavian initially. Then I heard them speak in the most unappealing sounding language and realized they were German (I also recognized some of the words)  :lol:

They were still  :wub:

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 20, 2010, 10:16:19 PM
I can distinguish between Korean, Chinese, Japanese and Pilipino (duh). It's a skill I picked up living in this heavily Asian populated area.

You know, people from Sri Lanka kinda look like they're South Indian. ;)

SVT_Power

Oh, I have NO capability of distinguishing between Indian, Pakistani, and Sri Lankan people other than the fact that the latter seem to generally be the darkest.

WookieOnRitalin

Can you tell the difference?

Frankly, does it matter? :)
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

the Teuton

SVT_Power

the Teuton

Onslaught

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on April 20, 2010, 10:34:49 PM
Can you tell the difference?

Frankly, does it matter? :)
Do you know the answer? I'd like to take a stab at it. I was good at this back in my Asian ass hunting days. Could be a little rusty. But you can sometimes tell the difference between a Korean and Japanese girl.

Man, I'm starting to feel some yellow fever coming over me again.

Onslaught

Oh, and this isn't uncommon. I've got many Korean and Chinese friends who's parents hate the Japanese. It takes a long time for people to forget/get over shit. I know lots of Southerners who still hate the north.

WookieOnRitalin

Yes, I know which is which so if you guess, I can tell you the answer.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Raza

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on April 20, 2010, 10:12:36 PM
It seems like a blind hatred that needs to end at some point. As the world becomes more global, it only makes sense for people to work together now and leave past problems in the past.

Let's fix prejudice one car forum member at a time!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.