Supercars

Started by SVT666, May 12, 2010, 03:25:28 PM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on May 14, 2010, 11:48:29 PM
Maybe I'm being a bit extreme, but I expect more from Ferrari. 

458 performance > Enzo performance
458 price (x3.5) < Enzo price

Granted with that kind of cold hard logic the GT-R could be rationalized, but at the end of the day the 458 is still a Ferrari... and not a weird one like the 408 or F50; it's a true engineering achievement that still screams with passion. I don't know what more you want lol.

SVT_Power

Quote from: the Teuton on May 12, 2010, 09:02:54 PM
That automatic Vette could eat a Diablo--the first legit 200+ mph supercar--for lunch. That was only two decades ago that the Lambo was the king.

Quote from: SVT666 on May 12, 2010, 09:09:10 PM
A stock 2011 Mustang GT could keep up to the Diablo now.  It says a lot about where affordable performance cars are these days.

Jacob might have a case, but I doubt it. And Craig, I think you might be on crack.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/car_Lamborghini_Diablo_SV_1997.html

A diablo still is in pretty serious company.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 15, 2010, 10:06:27 AM
458 performance > Enzo performance
458 price (x3.5) < Enzo price

Granted with that kind of cold hard logic the GT-R could be rationalized, but at the end of the day the 458 is still a Ferrari... and not a weird one like the 408 or F50; it's a true engineering achievement that still screams with passion. I don't know what more you want lol.

I'd argue that the F50 was one of the most technically significant Ferrari yet.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rich

This thread has changed what i think of a supercar. IMO the level of supercar has been taken up to the level of pagoni and veyron
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Onslaught

Quote from: Submariner on May 14, 2010, 08:00:07 AM

Putting on my flame suit........ I think these things are ugly. Cool cars, but ugly.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Onslaught on May 15, 2010, 10:53:09 AM
Putting on my flame suit........ I think these things are ugly. Cool cars, but ugly.

It's more of a fighter jet type of design. Not beautiful by itself, but when you see what it can do it's just kickass.

Onslaught

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 15, 2010, 10:54:14 AM
It's more of a fighter jet type of design. Not beautiful by itself, but when you see what it can do it's just kickass.
I know it kicks ass. But some fighter jets look bad ass while other ones that are just as good are ugly too.

SVT666

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 15, 2010, 10:37:35 AM
Jacob might have a case, but I doubt it. And Craig, I think you might be on crack.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/car_Lamborghini_Diablo_SV_1997.html

A diablo still is in pretty serious company.
The Mustang GT is just 2/10ths behind the Diablo to 60 mph.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on May 15, 2010, 10:53:09 AM
I'm with you.  I've never seent he appeal of the Zonda.  As a car it's amazing.  Styling wise it's ugly.

Submariner

Quote from: SVT666 on May 15, 2010, 11:32:46 PM

I'll place money on my dads S600 beating a GT to 60, but that doesn't mean it's going to win on a track...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on May 15, 2010, 11:32:46 PM

We all know that is only one of many measurements of a car's speed. Is the Mustang anywhere on the fastest lap time list for any of those tracks?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

Quote from: Submariner on May 15, 2010, 11:35:10 PM
I'll place money on my dads S600 beating a GT to 60, but that doesn't mean it's going to win on a track...
I didn't know I said it would beat a Diablo anywhere, let alone a track.  All I said was that a Mustang GT could keep up with a Diablo.  All I meant was that it wouldn't be embarrassed in a straight line...and it wouldn't.  It would get beat for sure, but not totally blown out of the water like the last model would have been.  

Besides, the Diablo requires a ride-along mechanic. :evildude:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Submariner on May 15, 2010, 12:06:11 AM
The 458 (According to Ferrari) is faster around a track than an Enzo...that's pretty damn good.

The 458 isn't as "cool" (as subjective as that may be) to me as the 430.  The Gated shifter, the simplistic interior, none of the silly looking air intakes, etc.  I think it looks better, and from what I have heard (which as of now is unreliable because of how new it is) is more involving.  That being said, the 458 from a technological standpoint is one hell of a car.  

My dad's friend has an F430 - 6 speed.  He is waiting for his 458 to show up to his front door.  I'll reserve judgment on it's looks until I see it in the flesh.  
The don't make an F430 6 speed...

EDIT:

OMFG NVM. :wub:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Quote from: Submariner on May 15, 2010, 11:35:10 PM
Really?

2011 Mustang GT = 4.3 seconds
2010 M-B S600 = 4.5 Seconds

Look, I never said it would beat a Diablo anywhere, and I certainly never said it would beat a Diablo on a track.  

Middle_Path

Godamn that Pagani is awesome! I used to find it ugly, but after seeing some video reviews I completely changed my mind. Definitely my favorite. If I win the lottery all of you are welcome to ride shotgun in the one I special order.

Don't know why, maybe it's the interior and engine sound. Gorgeous.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

Rupert

You should probably actually say what you mean, SVT. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 14, 2010, 01:26:24 PM
I agree. And it's one of the only new supercars that I love. :wub:

I thought they were now obsolete.

Eh, I don't know about the 500+ Hp those supercars have, but 400 hp is plently usable to me on a daily basis.

I remember someone on the Z06 forums saying that driving a very fast car is like being a great white shark swimming in a school of minnows.  There is a confidence knowing that you can always make a pass, that acceleration will never be a concern, and you never worry about some asshole camping in the left lane and speeding up to block people off when they try to go around.  Just the other day there was some guy doing like 50 in a 55 in the left lane with a bunch of cars behind.  Everytime someone moved over to the right for a pass the guy would speed up just enough so they couldn't make the pass before the next car.  I have no idea why people do this, I think it happens too often to be them just purposely being dicks.  Usually these people are in minivans, and my theory is that they are talking to their kids or wife, and when they notice a car passing them, they realize they are going too slow, speed up a bit to block the pass, and then go back to being slow.  Anyway as soon as I saw my chance, I dropped to 3rd, got a run on the guy, pulled the pass with bus lengths to spare, all while making enough noise that it was basically like honking the horn while passing them so they know I'm coming.  I'm sure the guy tried to speed up as usual, and the Z06 blew past like he was going backwards.  Let me tell you, that is a hugely satisfying feeling.

Maybe I'm just a secretly road rage prone driver, but it seems like there are many small moments everyday when people feel the need to get in front of you.  People just don't like getting passed in general, myself included.  Maybe I'm petty about this, but I'll admit that whenever I am stopped at a light, and the road merges ahead, or everyone trying to get into one lane for an on ramp, I just get the urge to beat the guy next to me.  I know he's got the urge too because whenever I'm in the pathfinder, they pretty much go for it hard and there is nothing I can do (0-60 in 11 seconds).  I relish the same situation when I'm in the Z06.  It's not even about having to use all 400hp in that case.  I just go fast enough to comfortably be ahead (usually I just accelerate to speed limit in a pretty brisk pace).  It's all about knowing that an additional 300 hp is on reserve should you need it.

Plus another place where 400hp comes in handy is merging onto route 15 (merrit parkway in CT), granted this is a rather particular example.  I have no idea who designed this road, but it's a road where everyone goes 75-85 and you enter from stop signs, you have like 10 feet from the stop sign to entry point of the highway.  So pretty much every entry is a full 0-70 standing start.  In the pathfinder I'm literally waiting at that stop sign forever for the mile long gap I need, and people behind get rather frustrated.  In the Z06 it's a breeze.  Wait for a 8-10 second  gap and floor it.  People automatically move over to the left lane, because they think you will be in the way, of course they never catch me and move back over to the right as I disappear into the distance.

Actually now that I think about it, most of my examples are just me driving immaturely and irresponsibly in a 400hp car.  Man I love it.

Rich

:lol:  I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Cookie Monster

565, I bet a lot of people back off when they see your car because they know they'll lose and don't want to look like a n00b racing their family sedan against your car. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

565 I hear you on the minivan thing. I actually thing a lot of times such idiots aren't doing it on purpose - once they see someone going for a pass on the right they are subconsciously reminded they're going too slow and subconsciously speed up. Doesn't make it any less of a problem on the roadways however.

sportyaccordy

I would love an automatic low 13 second car. Just point and shoot.

Submariner

Quote from: SVT666 on May 15, 2010, 11:47:06 PM
Really?

2011 Mustang GT = 4.3 seconds
2010 M-B S600 = 4.5 Seconds

Look, I never said it would beat a Diablo anywhere, and I certainly never said it would beat a Diablo on a track. 

I've seen at least two instances of guys running bone stock S600's hitting 60 in 4.2 track verified. 

It's a scary fast car.

Submariner

Quote from: thecarnut on May 15, 2010, 11:46:11 PM
The don't make an F430 6 speed...

EDIT:

OMFG NVM. :wub:

Hahaha...exactly how you should feel.  :lol:

I've only seen one though in person (aside from my dads friend)...a red coupe with graphite wheels and what I'm guessing wasn't a stock exhaust.  It was louder than any F430 I've heard (including a spyder I saw while on the cape last night)   Ooooooo...what a machine.   :wub:

GoCougs

:facepalm: at the continued Mustang fanboyism. It's been pretty much proven the first few GTs tested were ringers.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on May 16, 2010, 11:00:08 AM
:facepalm: at the continued Mustang fanboyism. It's been pretty much proven the first few GTs tested were ringers.

I don't know, Cougs. Based on its specs, I'd expect it to churn out some gnarly numbers.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 565 on May 16, 2010, 08:22:19 AM
Eh, I don't know about the 500+ Hp those supercars have, but 400 hp is plently usable to me on a daily basis.

I remember someone on the Z06 forums saying that driving a very fast car is like being a great white shark swimming in a school of minnows.  There is a confidence knowing that you can always make a pass, that acceleration will never be a concern, and you never worry about some asshole camping in the left lane and speeding up to block people off when they try to go around.  Just the other day there was some guy doing like 50 in a 55 in the left lane with a bunch of cars behind.  Everytime someone moved over to the right for a pass the guy would speed up just enough so they couldn't make the pass before the next car.  I have no idea why people do this, I think it happens too often to be them just purposely being dicks.  Usually these people are in minivans, and my theory is that they are talking to their kids or wife, and when they notice a car passing them, they realize they are going too slow, speed up a bit to block the pass, and then go back to being slow.  Anyway as soon as I saw my chance, I dropped to 3rd, got a run on the guy, pulled the pass with bus lengths to spare, all while making enough noise that it was basically like honking the horn while passing them so they know I'm coming.  I'm sure the guy tried to speed up as usual, and the Z06 blew past like he was going backwards.  Let me tell you, that is a hugely satisfying feeling.

Maybe I'm just a secretly road rage prone driver, but it seems like there are many small moments everyday when people feel the need to get in front of you.  People just don't like getting passed in general, myself included.  Maybe I'm petty about this, but I'll admit that whenever I am stopped at a light, and the road merges ahead, or everyone trying to get into one lane for an on ramp, I just get the urge to beat the guy next to me.  I know he's got the urge too because whenever I'm in the pathfinder, they pretty much go for it hard and there is nothing I can do (0-60 in 11 seconds).  I relish the same situation when I'm in the Z06.  It's not even about having to use all 400hp in that case.  I just go fast enough to comfortably be ahead (usually I just accelerate to speed limit in a pretty brisk pace).  It's all about knowing that an additional 300 hp is on reserve should you need it.

Plus another place where 400hp comes in handy is merging onto route 15 (merrit parkway in CT), granted this is a rather particular example.  I have no idea who designed this road, but it's a road where everyone goes 75-85 and you enter from stop signs, you have like 10 feet from the stop sign to entry point of the highway.  So pretty much every entry is a full 0-70 standing start.  In the pathfinder I'm literally waiting at that stop sign forever for the mile long gap I need, and people behind get rather frustrated.  In the Z06 it's a breeze.  Wait for a 8-10 second  gap and floor it.  People automatically move over to the left lane, because they think you will be in the way, of course they never catch me and move back over to the right as I disappear into the distance.

Actually now that I think about it, most of my examples are just me driving immaturely and irresponsibly in a 400hp car.  Man I love it.
:hesaid: Post of the month.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on May 16, 2010, 11:00:08 AM
Really?  So the 1 oe 2 Camaros that hit 60 mph in 4.5 seconds are ringers too?  Because most tested in the first year did it in 4.8 seconds.  Now all of a sudden they're doing it in 4.5 and 4.6 and they're not ringers?  Fuck off.  It's just the difference between good and bad testing conditions and different drivers.

the Teuton

Hey, if you have someone else's car to clutch dump from 5,000 RPM and you don't have to worry about the repair bills or voiding a warranty, getting a Mustang to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds shouldn't be too hard to do.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on May 16, 2010, 12:52:05 PM
Hey, if you have someone else's car to clutch dump from 5,000 RPM and you don't have to worry about the repair bills or voiding a warranty, getting a Mustang to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds shouldn't be too hard to do.
It's been done by at least 2 publications so far.  Cougs likes the use th slowest ever time published for the GT of 4.6 seconds and the fastest ever time published for the Camaro of 4.5 seconds to justify what he says.  I like to use the fastest times from both, or if he likes, I could use the slowest times for both which are 4.6 for the Mustang and 4.9 for the Camaro.  Somehow I don't think he would approve....but I digress.  This thread is about supercars and whether they excite people anymore or not.