VW Jetta Spied!

Started by 2o6, May 24, 2010, 08:00:50 PM

2o6

Spotted rolling around with Michigan Plates sporting a fake logo, but the corporate VW face makes it unmistakably a VW.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/24/spy-shots-2011-volkswagen-jetta-caught-nearly-uncovered/

This is even more disappointing than the MKVI Golf.

MX793

Well, it looks a little less like a Corolla.  Unfortunately, the headlights and grille shape almost resemble the current US Focus.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on May 24, 2010, 08:04:33 PM
Well, it looks a little less like a Corolla.  Unfortunately, the headlights and grille shape almost resemble the current US Focus.

Not to mention that from the pics, the car looks to be nearly the same as the old model.

the Teuton

And the tail lights are kinda Optima-ish. I think it's a stopgap for the NA market. It has to be. VW has never been this cheap before with redesigns. Even the "Mk. VI" Golf got more of a reworking.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on May 24, 2010, 08:07:34 PM
And the tail lights are kinda Optima-ish. I think it's a stopgap for the NA market. It has to be. VW has never been this cheap before with redesigns. Even the "Mk. VI" Golf got more of a reworking.

The Golf 6 was (is) just as bad.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on May 24, 2010, 08:05:47 PM

Not to mention that from the pics, the car looks to be nearly the same as the old model.

Not that surprising.  The MkII and MkIII looked quite similar.  Same basic shape and same size (all dimensions were within an inch between the two).  The MkIII really just looked like they fitted more modern lights, bumpers, a new grille and did some mildly tweaked sheetmetal (eliminated a beltline crease) to a MkII.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on May 24, 2010, 08:20:07 PM
Not that surprising.  The MkII and MkIII looked quite similar.  Same basic shape and same size (all dimensions were within an inch between the two).  The MkIII really just looked like they fitted more modern lights, bumpers, a new grille and did some mildly tweaked sheetmetal (eliminated a beltline crease) to a MkII.

Yeah, but it isn't as blatantly obvious as say what VW did with the MKV and MKVI Golf.

Raza

I'm not liking it.  I very much prefer my car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22073.msg1330260#msg1330260 date=1274754510
I'm not liking it.  I very much prefer my car.

This new car looks noticeably cheaper.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on May 24, 2010, 08:29:12 PM

The rear 3/4 is probably my favorite angle on my car.  Look at it on this nearly un-camo'd model.  Completely anonymous. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on May 24, 2010, 08:29:12 PM

That's because this one is supposed to be noticeably cheaper.  Word is that the next Jetta won't be a Golf with a trunk and it will be aimed at developing markets like India and China, plus the American market.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on May 24, 2010, 08:39:45 PM
That's because this one is supposed to be noticeably cheaper.  Word is that the next Jetta won't be a Golf with a trunk and it aimed at developing markets like India and China, plus the American market.
The American market is now a third world country? :facepalm: OBAMA! :rage:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Colin

Quote from: Laconian on May 24, 2010, 09:42:27 PM
The American market is now a third world country? :facepalm: OBAMA! :rage:
I don't think it is fair to blame your President, whatever you think of him, rather you should be pointing your frustration at the American Consumer. This car is a response to the apparent buying priorities of its target market...... at this point in the market, it seems, people want cheap. VW's current sales performance in the US is pitiful, so it is clear that what sells so stunningly well in Europe is not what appeals to the average American buyer. Maybe this is.

It might be a Sad Day for the US Auto Enthusiast.......... but it is another self inflicted goal like the way the latest Mazda 6 got bigger (not that I want to reopen that debate again).   

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: Colin on May 24, 2010, 11:50:08 PM
I don't think it is fair to blame your President, whatever you think of him, rather you should be pointing your frustration at the American Consumer. This car is a response to the apparent buying priorities of its target market...... at this point in the market, it seems, people want cheap. VW's current sales performance in the US is pitiful, so it is clear that what sells so stunningly well in Europe is not what appeals to the average American buyer. Maybe this is.

It might be a Sad Day for the US Auto Enthusiast.......... but it is another self inflicted goal like the way the latest Mazda 6 got bigger (not that I want to reopen that debate again).   

It's a shame--turn on the loyalists to appeal to the masses.  And the fact that the MkVI GTI didn't really move the game further and that we don't get the Scirocco and that I don't have a family and don't need a car the size of a Passat, I don't think Volkswagen wants me as a repeat customer.  That is, unless the new Golf R comes with a real stick this time around.  Their new lineup is really forcing me to look elsewhere, which is a shame, since they really won me over with the B5 and A5.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Xer0

Will this car still have that lump of an engine up front?

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

Quote from: Colin on May 24, 2010, 11:50:08 PM

Eh, small cars are for poor people. Real Americans won't notice the loss.

(I've been facetious this whole time, BTW..)

The Pirate

I never really cared for the front of the current Jetta, though the rear was quite good looking.  Like Raza said, the rear 3/4 view is the money shot.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Colin

Quote from: Xer0 on May 25, 2010, 06:47:23 AM
Will this car still have that lump of an engine up front?
Well, I doubt that they would sell any at all to Merry-cans if it came with the Euro engines such as the 1.2 TSi and 1.4 TSi motors!

BimmerM3

I still don't get why everyone hates the 2.5 that much. I've driven my step-sisters Rabbit a pretty good amount, and I quite like the motor. The only real issue is the lackluster fuel economy.

Laconian

All of the drawbacks and none of the benefits of a thirstier and larger engine?

CALL_911

The A5 looks like a Corolla, I think this looks better.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on May 25, 2010, 12:30:10 PM
All of the drawbacks and none of the benefits of a thirstier and larger engine?

While I don't mind the engine, I think moving to the 1.4 twincharge will get you more power and better mileage.  I don't think anyone would complain about the lack of displacement. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Hachee

Quote from: Raza  on May 25, 2010, 06:33:44 AM
It's a shame--turn on the loyalists to appeal to the masses.  And the fact that the MkVI GTI didn't really move the game further and that we don't get the Scirocco and that I don't have a family and don't need a car the size of a Passat, I don't think Volkswagen wants me as a repeat customer.  That is, unless the new Golf R comes with a real stick this time around.  Their new lineup is really forcing me to look elsewhere, which is a shame, since they really won me over with the B5 and A5.

They already started going for mass appeal with the current Jetta by making it bigger and blander than its predecessor.  I know you like it, and it has its merits, such as certain models like the TDI and the 2.0T's.  I was hoping this new one would be a four-door version of that 2 door concept they showed a few months ago.  Maybe it's close, but it's hard to tell in these pics. 

They blew the game with the current Passat, but salvaged a bit with CC, and the Mark VI Golf will be replaced with a much better looking Mark VII, hopefully soon.  But they need the Scirocco, just as Toyota needs a Celica or F86 or whatever they call that thing.  I don't have high hope for the North America-only "NMS" which will replace the Passat and which will probably be big and bland like a Camry.

Atomic

it is hard to judge a car one cannot see clearly. the overall shape is pleasant enough. i love vw interiors and many of their wheels, like those on the gti and upper tiguan models. i will reserve judgement until i see it unmasked and in the flesh.

Laconian

Quote from: Atomic on May 25, 2010, 05:26:30 PM
it is hard to judge a car one cannot see clearly. the overall shape is pleasant enough. i love vw interiors and many of their wheels, like those on the gti and upper tiguan models. i will reserve judgement until i see it unmasked and in the flesh.
This "third world special" will probably be upholstered with burlap bags but still manage to cost $2000 more than a Civic.

the Teuton

Purportedly, the new models are supposed to come in at cheaper prices with more competitive packaging for the heart of the market. Whether or not they do has yet to be seen.

Quote from: Raza  on May 25, 2010, 06:33:44 AM

Face it, every Subaru enthusiast shares your sentiments. They got over it. Will this technically be a downgrade? Yes, probably. Will hardcore VW enthusiasts still flock to the models, as well as new consumers? Yeah.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

AltinD

I doubt they'll use the same taillights for the EU models. Same as the A5 model that used the Passat's LED taillights in Europe but similarly designed conventional ones on the North American models. At least the first years, don't know if the later models came wioth LEDs.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Raza

Quote from: Hachee on May 25, 2010, 04:38:52 PM

They already started going for mass appeal with the current Jetta by making it bigger and blander than its predecessor.  I know you like it, and it has its merits, such as certain models like the TDI and the 2.0T's.  I was hoping this new one would be a four-door version of that 2 door concept they showed a few months ago.  Maybe it's close, but it's hard to tell in these pics. 

They blew the game with the current Passat, but salvaged a bit with CC, and the Mark VI Golf will be replaced with a much better looking Mark VII, hopefully soon.  But they need the Scirocco, just as Toyota needs a Celica or F86 or whatever they call that thing.  I don't have high hope for the North America-only "NMS" which will replace the Passat and which will probably be big and bland like a Camry.

Going bigger with the new Jetta wasn't that bad an idea, but my vision was that they'd slot something in below it--which they never did.  I drove the 2.5L briefly and spent a decent amount of time in the MkIV 2.0.  The newer car is definitely more refined, quicker, and sharper witted than the old car, but the old car was definitely a laugh to drive.  I think the car could be much improved with the 178bhp twincharged engine matched to a 6MT, but if I were to go back in time and the Wolfsburg didn't exist, I might have ended up with the 2.5 (I'm being a little generous here...I probably would have gotten a lower spec GTI four door).  No, it didn't put a smile on my face the way my car does (nearly 38K into it, I still love every drive), but I could have been content.

I share your skepticism with regards to the NMS, though.  Frankly, considering the volume sellers in the US, the idea of my beloved company going after those buyers is less than inspiring.  Bland, boring, and big.  My old Passat was an impressive drive despite only having 180bhp and a 5AT to drag around 3400lbs.  I haven't driven the current one, though, but I've never heard anything about about how it drives.  I know it didn't sell all that well (but if I were a family man, I'd certainly buy one...if you could get a stick and a sunroof together), but whenever I went to Manhattan, I'd see tons of them; one of the most common cars that wasn't a cabbie or copper. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i