MrH's Great Car Shuffle of 2010

Started by MrH, May 31, 2010, 11:14:01 AM

Raza

Quote from: MrH on May 31, 2010, 12:31:54 PM
I imagine GTO's are incredibly expensive to insure.  I'm having a hard time finding any with low miles or a manual.  Just doesn't seem my style of car.  I want something scalpel sharp, not a big hammer.

Drive one.

You seem pretty set on the NC.  Just get it.  You're all over the place on bodystyle and drivetrain, but the one constant is the NC.  Early NCs are getting pretty cheap, they are fun to drive, and with a few bucks in suspension work, you'll have a car sharper than the one out now.  It seems to me that if you choose something else, you'll always sit around thinking "What if I bought that MX-5 I really wanted?"
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on May 31, 2010, 09:22:59 PM
Your limited automotive experience is hardly enough of a foundation for issuing the last word on the subject as you have done.

And the fact that a few shops refused to work on your Camaro means that suspension mods mean a major pain in the ass to find a place to get an alignment?

Onslaught

I'm going with Raza on this one. If the NC is the car you want then get that. Unless you find some better car for a great price while looking for the NC.
I find the NC has too much body roll from the factory for my taste. I'd be going to Flyingmiata to fix that.

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 31, 2010, 09:48:45 PM
And the fact that a few shops refused to work on your Camaro means that suspension mods mean a major pain in the ass to find a place to get an alignment?

Yes, it can be, yes but not an always, as you had asserted with your claim.

Quote from: MrH on May 31, 2010, 01:35:45 PM

4.  Insurance rates:  This is what's keeping me from a lot of the standard cars kids my age go for (350Z, S2000, Mustang, etc.).  I also only find the S2000 exciting out of those three.
-NC Miata
-Mini Cooper S
-Civic Si
-Mazdaspeed3
-GTI

The thing about insurance rates is that you really would need to call to figure out prices.  Sometimes cars considered "expensive" in general to insure actually are not that expensive when you call your insurance provider, or the price difference is smaller than expected.

Rupert

I have plenty of automotive experience, and some shops will work on stuff you've worked on, and some won't. I don't think it would be hard to find a shop that will.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on May 31, 2010, 09:54:58 PM
I'm going with Raza on this one. If the NC is the car you want then get that. Unless you find some better car for a great price while looking for the NC.
I find the NC has too much body roll from the factory for my taste. I'd be going to Flyingmiata to fix that.

To quote my Miataisti friend, every MX-5 came underdamped from the factory, less the Mazdaspeed. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: 565 on May 31, 2010, 10:10:56 PM
The thing about insurance rates is that you really would need to call to figure out prices.  Sometimes cars considered "expensive" in general to insure actually are not that expensive when you call your insurance provider, or the price difference is smaller than expected.

Yeah, I was a little surprised last year when I got quotes on the Genesis Coupe, RX-8, WRX Hatch and Camaro LT.  WRX was about $100 a year more expensive to insure than any of the others.  I figured being a hatch/wagon, it would have been the cheapest.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on June 01, 2010, 04:16:34 AM
Yeah, I was a little surprised last year when I got quotes on the Genesis Coupe, RX-8, WRX Hatch and Camaro LT.  WRX was about $100 a year more expensive to insure than any of the others.  I figured being a hatch/wagon, it would have been the cheapest.

hahahahaa  those are some of the most overdriven/crashed cars around.
The AWD is great for driving confidence compared to some other cars- problem is that the brakes and tires don't work any better. ;)  Plus the young speedsters like them.
Will

GoCougs

The lion's share of what makes a car expensive to insure is liability insurance which is a function of how it is driven and not its configuration (coupe/sedan/hatch/wagon, etc.).

Tave

OT, but I'm a little confused on this whole swap. Your dad gave you a Tacoma w/ over 200,000 miles in return for you buying him a brand new F150? And you're a college student?

I guess it doesn't really matter, just wondering.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

I think the deal is MrH negotiated a good deal on the new truck and got the Tacoma as reward.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on June 01, 2010, 04:16:34 AM

The WRX was named most expensive car to insure last year.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on June 01, 2010, 09:46:01 AM
I think the deal is MrH negotiated a good deal on the new truck and got the Tacoma as reward.

Yes, I don't believe MrH is shelling out the cash himself, rather procuring a deal on the truck for his father. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on May 31, 2010, 02:59:06 PM
Don't want to be a Debbie downer but self-directed suspension repairs can be a major PITA - from anything to getting/renting the specialty tools to finding a shop that will align a car that has been worked on by a customer. Also, per KBB private-party value is in the $7-8k range.

As to the general question, I'd shy away from something so purpose specific as a Miata while in school. I'd go for a WRX, Legacy GT or Outback XT.

As to the overall situation, I'd sell the truck as is and pocket the money until after I got out of school and got a job. Maybe you get a company car. Maybe you end up over seas. Maybe you end up on the North Slope in Alaska.

Tacoma front suspensions are pretty simple.  This shouldn't be much of an issue for 3 mechanical engineers to tackle with a full shop at our disposal.  KBB might be in that range, but Edmunds has the truck worth over $10k.  Watch the market for Tacomas, and expecting $9,000 isn't too much of a stretch.

I don't want to work in Alaska.  I'm more than likely staying in the area and going to graduate school right away, along with some income on the side doing research.  I'll be buying a second, more practical vehicle within the next few years, but now's the time to have some fun.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

And yes, I found the specific truck he wanted, and negotiated the whole deal, and got the Tacoma as payment basically.  Turns out you can order an F150 about 7 billion different ways.  Finding one with the right options but without $3000 worth of Chrome wheels and pinstripes and shit was difficult.  Ended up getting one from Columbus, about an hour and a half away.

And yes, it's true, I have my heart pretty set on a NC Miata.  I found an '06, completely loaded to the brim with every gadget I could imagine with only 16k miles, asking $15,750.  If I could get that around $15,000, I think that's a hell of a steal.  It looks brand new, and Carfax is reporting it's been detailed by a dealership multiple times.  It's hard to find any other 2006's with that low of miles, because a lot of miatas are just weekend toys.

As for the GTO, this is the only one I could find that somewhat fit the bill: http://www.vossauto.com/certified/Pontiac/2006-Pontiac-GTO-b06936507f00000101c1c9dcd12502a4.htm

Crazy expensive, probably brutal insurance, and still kind of higher mileage.  It'd be hard to choose that over a basically brand new 06 Miata for thousands less, and better equipped.  I'm picking up a lot of hours at work, because if I get a Miata, I want to get:  snow wheels and tires, Flyin Miata stage 2 suspension (shocks, springs, and sway bars), and BRUM of course.  :rockon:

I'll be arranging for the Tacoma to get diagnosed this week, and the repairs will be happening soon.  I'll keep everyone updated!
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

If your heart is set on something and you can afford it, buy it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on June 01, 2010, 12:47:20 PM
The WRX was named most expensive car to insure last year.

I knew that, but since most WRXs sold are sedans (by a large margin), I thought that maybe the accident stats on the wagon would look better and the rates would be lower (wagons historically have had lower premiums than other body styles).  Maybe they are, I didn't get a quote on the sedan, but the wagon is still pretty pricey to insure.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

Quote from: 565 on May 31, 2010, 10:10:56 PM
Tell me about it. I was looking at an FD 1994 RX-7 about 4 years ago and called to see how much it would cost to insure. It was $20 less every 6 months then my 90 MX-5. I was a little shocked at that.
One has twin turbos and was newer and worth more. The other has a motor with the power of a asmatic hamster and was older.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Horrible fuel economy, and a turning radius better suited to a full size pickup truck than a sports sedan.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Holy shit.

Called the insurance company to check on rates.  For that 2006 GTO a few miles from me, they want $710 every 6 months!  A 2006 Miata is somehow cheaper than what we're paying for my Protege5, despite being newer and worth a lot more :confused:.  Only $370 every 6 months!

And the only thing appealing about that Volvo is the color of the dials.  :zzz:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Quote from: 68_427 on June 02, 2010, 03:49:32 PM
Chip + exhaust would be awesome.

I have no gift to bring, BRUM BRUM BRUM BRUM BRUMMM
That's fit to give the King, BRUM BRUM BRUM BRUM BRUMMM
BRUM BRUM BRUM BRUMM, BRUM BRUM BRUM BRUMM,
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22124.msg1333588#msg1333588 date=1275380914
To quote my Miataisti friend, every MX-5 came underdamped from the factory, less the Mazdaspeed. 
If he thinks a NA is bad then he should try a NC.

And I'll add a NA type R to the list of "getting it right" along with the Mazdaspeed

omicron

Quote from: MrH on June 02, 2010, 03:45:43 PM
Holy shit.

Called the insurance company to check on rates.  For that 2006 GTO a few miles from me, they want $710 every 6 months!  A 2006 Miata is somehow cheaper than what we're paying for my Protege5, despite being newer and worth a lot more :confused:.  Only $370 every 6 months!

I can beat you there. Using the very same specifications as that GTO, a major Australian insurer wants $5,644 for the year. Shopping around brought me down to $2,362. Hooray!

The Pirate

Quote from: omicron on June 03, 2010, 09:36:13 AM
I can beat you there. Using the very same specifications as that GTO, a major Australian insurer wants $5,644 for the year. Shopping around brought me down to $2,362. Hooray!

Seems to be inline with the pricing of automobiles over there, unfortunately. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MrH

Ok, checked on a bunch of insurance rates.  Granted, I don't pay for insurance (parentals help me out), but I don't want to be a dick and get some car crazy expensive to insure.

The miata is looking better and better.  Some of the cheapest insurance, cheaper than my Protege5.

Right now, I'm looking at:
2006 Miata
2006 RX-8
2007 Civic Si
2006 Mini Cooper S

Mazdaspeed6's, GTO's, S2000's, and GTi's are all pretty expensive to insure.

Anything else worth checking out?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on June 02, 2010, 03:45:43 PM
Holy shit.

Called the insurance company to check on rates.  For that 2006 GTO a few miles from me, they want $710 every 6 months!  A 2006 Miata is somehow cheaper than what we're paying for my Protege5, despite being newer and worth a lot more :confused:.  Only $370 every 6 months!

And the only thing appealing about that Volvo is the color of the dials.  :zzz:

Those rates are pretty low, man.  What level of coverage are we talking about?

I pay about $1,100 per year for insurance, but I had to really shop around to get that.  $370 every six months, or $740 per year, is really cheap if it's for full coverage.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on June 04, 2010, 05:24:59 PM
Ok, checked on a bunch of insurance rates.  Granted, I don't pay for insurance (parentals help me out), but I don't want to be a dick and get some car crazy expensive to insure.

The miata is looking better and better.  Some of the cheapest insurance, cheaper than my Protege5.

Right now, I'm looking at:
2006 Miata
2006 RX-8
2007 Civic Si
2006 Mini Cooper S

Mazdaspeed6's, GTO's, S2000's, and GTi's are all pretty expensive to insure.

Anything else worth checking out?

Is the Mini you're considering a convertible?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!