MrH's Great Car Shuffle of 2010

Started by MrH, May 31, 2010, 11:14:01 AM

MrH

I've mentioned this all in the chat thread a few times, but never made a post about it.

It all started with my father.  He drives a 2005 Toyota Tacoma, 5-speed, 4x4 extended cab, with the 4-cylinder engine.  The truck now has 205,000 miles on it (he works in DC, his family is here in Ohio, and he had to drive to Delaware for work a lot, so yes, it has a shit ton of miles).  I had expressed interest in that truck ever since he bought it.  In fact, I optioned it out the way I'd want it, and he came back to Ohio with a new truck waiting for him.

So now the time comes for a new truck.  He claimed the Tacoma had all sorts of problems with the front suspension and steering.  He's back in Ohio now.  I've driven the truck, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  Probably wheel bearings and some new shocks, it'll be fine.  Still runs like a champ and looks great.  But then I looked how much these things are worth...$9-10k?!   :wtf:  Toyota resale is crazy.  Well, shit, I can't justify keeping that truck if it's worth that much.   I'd rather just sell it instead.

My dad was hoping to get $2,000 in trade for it, until I told him how much it's actually worth.  He was willing to just give me the truck to repair and sell, and in return, I purchased his new truck for him.  I've spent probably 16 hours in the last two days, calling dealerships, working out numbers, etc.  I figured I saved them $2,000 in just haggling, and that's all he was hoping to get for the Tacoma anyways.  So now my dad is the proud owner of a 2010 F150 XLT.  4x4, extended cab, with the 4.6 liter 3-valve.  It's a nice truck.  Crazy quiet, and an impressive drive all around.

So now I got this Tacoma that needs a little suspension work.  I'll be taking it to "get an estimate" from a Toyota service department this week.  And by that, I mean, I'm going to let them diagnose it for me, then me and two buddies (Crosswire who used to post here) who are in Society of Automotive Engineers are going to tackle the repairs one day.

I plan on fixing the Tacoma, making the Taco and Protege5 all pretty, selling both, and getting something newer and nicer.  I'm hoping to get $9k for the Tacoma, and $6,500 for the Protege5.  That gives me $15,500 to work with.  I want suggestions on what to drive in that price range.  I'm 6'2", all torso, but an emphasis should be put on fun.

The front runner in this whole search:  2006 NC Miata.  I absolutely loved the one I drove.  I'm also going to try and test drive a Cooper-S (probably both generations), maybe a GTI.  Anything else I should really be looking at?  I'm looking for around 2006 and newer, and around 30,000 miles or so.  So no, an E36 M3 with 115,000 miles doesn't work.

Let's hear your suggestions!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Shouldn't this be in the GA?

Anyways, are you planning to stay in Dayton? Do you guys get snow? I would either get a winter car beater, or get something semi-practical, like a Civic Si Sedan.

Oddball: HHR SS, Cobalt SS sedan, Chrysler PT GT.

Also, A GLI seems nice, a GTI but with more practicality.

Then there is a 1st Gen CTS-V, or even a Saab Turbo X.....

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

Is Mike still in Dayton? No wonder -- he usually has a knack of calling me on holidays like today. He's taken apart and put his M3 back together so many times, he could probably do it blindfolded. Tell him I said hi.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MrH

I don't fit in NA or NB Miatas.

-Civic Si Sedan:  Or coupe.  I'll add that to the test drive list.

-HHR SS, Cobalt SS sedan, Chrysler PT GT:.....:facepalm:  Seriously?  A PT cruiser?  The only thing that's remotely respectable out of those three is the Cobalt SS, but that looks and feels so cheap I could never bring myself to own.

Also, A GLI seems nice, a GTI but with more practicality:  How does the sedan have more practicality than the hatchback?

Then there is a 1st Gen CTS-V, or even a Saab Turbo X:  CTS-V is out of my price range, and insurance would be silly high on it I imagine.  A Turbo X would be near impossible to find I think.  I don't think they made many.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

S2000 should be in reach.  I've seen 2005+ ones with 30ish K miles go for around 15K.

But don't count your chickens before they hatch, 205,000 miles is alot of a used car to be purchased, you might not get 9k for it.

68_427

Quote from: MrH on May 31, 2010, 12:19:30 PM

Fuck those are awesome.

How much do these things go for?

'racecar is die'
no

2o6

-Civic Si Sedan:  Or coupe.  I'll add that to the test drive list.

-HHR SS, Cobalt SS sedan, Chrysler PT GT:.....:facepalm:  Seriously?  A PT cruiser?  The only thing that's remotely respectable out of those three is the Cobalt SS, but that looks and feels so cheap I could never bring myself to own.

I've heard the PT GT is fun, but it doesn't seem to be a step up from your Protege....(actually, it's a huge step down, interior wise)

Also, A GLI seems nice, a GTI but with more practicality:  How does the sedan have more practicality than the hatchback?

Doesn't the GLI have more trunk space and interior room over the GTI?

Skystace? RX-8? Evo Sedan?

ifcar

A GLI is a GTI with a giant trunk sticking off the end. The hatch will be more practical for bulky stuff, but you'll fit more behind the rear seat of the sedan.

MrH

I imagine GTO's are incredibly expensive to insure.  I'm having a hard time finding any with low miles or a manual.  Just doesn't seem my style of car.  I want something scalpel sharp, not a big hammer.

I'm having a hard time finding Mazdaspeed6's with low miles too.  I'll add Mazdaspeed3's to the list.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Quote from: 565 on May 31, 2010, 12:25:12 PM
S2000 should be in reach.  I've seen 2005+ ones with 30ish K miles go for around 15K.

But don't count your chickens before they hatch, 205,000 miles is alot of a used car to be purchased, you might not get 9k for it.

That's the low end of what all the sites have been quoting.  Doesn't seem too far off from what the market is quoting either...

S2000 have butt raping insurance rates, don't they?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

68_427

I like the Saab idea.  You don't need and Aero X as the 9-3 Aero comes with the same engine and they can be found within your price range no problem. 

This one has higher mileage than you are looking for but it's just an example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Saab-9-3-Aero-Leather-Cd-AC-Cruise-Sunroof-/270584348476?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f00157f3c#v4-43
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Quote from: 68_427 on May 31, 2010, 12:46:54 PM
I like the Saab idea.  You don't need and Aero X as the 9-3 Aero comes with the same engine and they can be found within your price range no problem. 

This one has higher mileage than you are looking for but it's just an example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Saab-9-3-Aero-Leather-Cd-AC-Cruise-Sunroof-/270584348476?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f00157f3c#v4-43

But the AeroX is AWD (no torque steer) and has 30 more horsepower.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

68_427

The GTi and Mini have torque steer.  He's considering those too.  It's still plenty fast compared to the others listed as well.
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Quote from: 68_427 on May 31, 2010, 01:01:18 PM
The GTi and Mini have torque steer.  He's considering those too.  It's still plenty fast compared to the others listed as well.

Torque steer in the Mini and GTI is pretty tame.  A little tug at the wheel.  Turbo Saabs, even the newer versions, are notorious for requiring the driver actually manhandle the wheel to keep the car pointed in a straight line.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

I think I more or less understand your taste in cars, but can you be explicit and prioritize what it is you want in a car?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on May 31, 2010, 01:12:06 PM
Torque steer in the Mini and GTI is pretty tame.  A little tug at the wheel.  Turbo Saabs, even the newer versions, are notorious for requiring the driver actually manhandle the wheel to keep the car pointed in a straight line.

Seems like every car on GM Epsilion has this problem. Vectra VXR, Saab 9-3....does the Malibu SS have this problem?

MrH

Saab's are already expensive to repair.  Now that they're not under GM ownership, they'll be even more to fix.  They're not exactly the pinnacle of reliability either...

I guess what I want in a car:

1.  Fun to drive:  I think that's the number one concern.  Nimbleness and steering feel contribute the most to that I think.  The NC miata was the most fun car I think I've ever driven.  I drove it back to back with a 350Z and was shocked at how much more fun the Miata was.  The 350Z felt heavy and boring in comparison.

2.  New and low mileage:  I want something a few years newer than my 2002 Protege5, and with under 40,000 miles preferably.

3.  Reliability:  Has to be reliable for years to come.

4.  Insurance rates:  This is what's keeping me from a lot of the standard cars kids my age go for (350Z, S2000, Mustang, etc.).  I also only find the S2000 exciting out of those three.

5.  Practicality:  Not too important.  I'm young.  This includes good gas mileage.  It'd be nice, but not really a deal breaker. 

Right now, my list looks like:

-NC Miata
-Mini Cooper S
-Civic Si
-Mazdaspeed3
-GTI
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on May 31, 2010, 01:33:45 PM

Seems like every car on GM Epsilion has this problem. Vectra VXR, Saab 9-3....does the Malibu SS have this problem?

Malibu SS only had like 240 hp and was only available with a 4 speed auto (autos tend to reduce torque steer to begin with), so I doubt it had much of an issue.
Needs more Jiggawatts

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on May 31, 2010, 01:39:08 PM
Lexus IS?

The current gen or the previous one?  The previous one was only made until 2005, most have a ton of miles.  The new ones are awful cars.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Colin

I think your short list is about right, Mike.

Tempting though the Miata is, I think I'd go for the VW (Golf) GTi. It's an absolutely cracking car.

GoCougs

Don't want to be a Debbie downer but self-directed suspension repairs can be a major PITA - from anything to getting/renting the specialty tools to finding a shop that will align a car that has been worked on by a customer. Also, per KBB private-party value is in the $7-8k range.

As to the general question, I'd shy away from something so purpose specific as a Miata while in school. I'd go for a WRX, Legacy GT or Outback XT.

As to the overall situation, I'd sell the truck as is and pocket the money until after I got out of school and got a job. Maybe you get a company car. Maybe you end up over seas. Maybe you end up on the North Slope in Alaska.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on May 31, 2010, 02:59:06 PM
finding a shop that will align a car that has been worked on by a customer.

:confused:

Other than alignments, not a single professional has touched my suspension since I bought my car five years ago, I've had three alignments in that time, and I've never been asked if I've worked on my own suspension.

In other words, they really don't give a shit as long as you pay them to do the alignment.

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on May 31, 2010, 01:35:45 PM
Saab's are already expensive to repair.  Now that they're not under GM ownership, they'll be even more to fix.  They're not exactly the pinnacle of reliability either...

I guess what I want in a car:

1.  Fun to drive:  I think that's the number one concern.  Nimbleness and steering feel contribute the most to that I think.  The NC miata was the most fun car I think I've ever driven.  I drove it back to back with a 350Z and was shocked at how much more fun the Miata was.  The 350Z felt heavy and boring in comparison.

2.  New and low mileage:  I want something a few years newer than my 2002 Protege5, and with under 40,000 miles preferably.

3.  Reliability:  Has to be reliable for years to come.

4.  Insurance rates:  This is what's keeping me from a lot of the standard cars kids my age go for (350Z, S2000, Mustang, etc.).  I also only find the S2000 exciting out of those three.

5.  Practicality:  Not too important.  I'm young.  This includes good gas mileage.  It'd be nice, but not really a deal breaker. 

Right now, my list looks like:

-NC Miata
-Mini Cooper S
-Civic Si
-Mazdaspeed3
-GTI

Would the rates on the Infiniti version of the 350Z be better?  Maybe you could take a look at a used version of that.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 31, 2010, 03:18:43 PM
:confused:

Other than alignments, not a single professional has touched my suspension since I bought my car five years ago, I've had three alignments in that time, and I've never been asked if I've worked on my own suspension.

In other words, they really don't give a shit as long as you pay them to do the alignment.

I've had shops refuse to work on all sorts of stuff because I had done something to the car - whether it was to finish exhaust (shop wouldn't use aftermarket parts), wouldn't inspect a tranny (because of aftermarket shift kit) to yes, being refused alignment (second-gen Camaros had a notoriously flawed press-in ball joint in the lower A-frame such that more than a few shops seeing a new ball joint would stop work unless they themselves did it).

Your limited automotive experience is hardly enough of a foundation for issuing the last word on the subject as you have done.