Why are we legally bound to wear seat belts?

Started by SVT_Power, June 06, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

SVT_Power

I realize it's a good idea if you don't want to die, but why are we LEGALLY bound to wear it? I mean if I decide to take my head and smash it into this desk I'm sitting at, there's no law stopping me from doing that.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

Same reason motorcyclists are legally bound to wear helmets in many states. It reduces the number of fatalities.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

A lot of people don't have the common sense to do it on their own, so for those idiots we have laws. :lol:

MX793

Who pays for your care should you be crippled in an accident and you do not have enough money to afford the necessary care yourself?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 06, 2010, 08:08:19 PM
I realize it's a good idea if you don't want to die, but why are we LEGALLY bound to wear it? I mean if I decide to take my head and smash it into this desk I'm sitting at, there's no law stopping me from doing that.

We shouldn't be. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on June 06, 2010, 08:23:37 PM
Who pays for your care should you be crippled in an accident and you do not have enough money to afford the necessary care yourself?

How far do you take that rationale?

Quote from: Rupert on June 06, 2010, 08:10:55 PM
Same reason motorcyclists are legally bound to wear helmets in many states. It reduces the number of fatalities.

And those are bad laws too.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Tave on June 06, 2010, 08:34:20 PM
How far do you take that rationale?

And those are bad laws too.

Well, it's not like a hospital won't treat you if you're about to die, and if they find you have no insurance, then other people ultimately end up paying the tab.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Tave

Quote from: thecarnut on June 06, 2010, 08:39:16 PM
Well, it's not like a hospital won't treat you if you're about to die, and if they find you have no insurance, then other people ultimately end up paying the tab.

You just missed the point entirely.

There are a million bad decisions people can make that will put them in the hospital on the taxpayer's dime. Obesity/heart disease comes immediately to mind.

The rules of the road should be solely for the benefit of other drivers.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Tave on June 06, 2010, 08:42:22 PM

There are a million bad decisions people can make that will put them in the hospital on the taxpayer's dime. Obesity/heart disease comes immediately to mind.

Oh, good point. I wasn't thinking of it that way.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on June 06, 2010, 08:42:22 PM

A seatbelt rule does benefit another driver. If that driver is at fault in an accident that turns out to be fatal because the other motorist wasn't wearing a seatbelt, they're in much more trouble that they arguably don't deserve. Or even in a case when they're not legally responsible, they have someone's death on their conscience. There's no reason someone deserves the freedom to not wear a seatbelt.

Motorcycle helmets, I can understand why someone would hate to wear one. But seatbelts are not obtrusive. It takes minimal effort to wear one, with huge benefit. And if people need a law to get them to put it on, then there should be a law.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on June 06, 2010, 09:01:13 PM
A seatbelt rule does benefit another driver. If that driver is at fault in an accident that turns out to be fatal because the other motorist wasn't wearing a seatbelt, they're in much more trouble that they arguably don't deserve. Or even in a case when they're not legally responsible, they have someone's death on their conscience. There's no reason someone deserves the freedom to not wear a seatbelt.

Motorcycle helmets, I can understand why someone would hate to wear one. But seatbelts are not obtrusive. It takes minimal effort to wear one, with huge benefit. And if people need a law to get them to put it on, then there should be a law.

You're a communist.

ifcar

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 06, 2010, 09:09:22 PM
You're a communist.

Damn, I was sure you were the person ignoring me. Now I'm curious.

280Z Turbo

Because it's okay to swindle money from stupid people.

They should raise the seatbelt ticket to $200 from $65 to pay for road maintenance.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 06, 2010, 09:31:58 PM
Because it's okay to swindle money from stupid people.

They should raise the seatbelt ticket to $200 from $65 to pay for road maintenance.

If the drop "speeding" fines, I could go along with that, but I am still against laws.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 06, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

I think you and a few others are making the mistake that the law exists solely for the seat belt wearer. Behind closed doors I think you'll plainly find lawmakers' reasons are a little more selfish than keeping un-belted drivers alive despite the fact that that is the primary way the law is sold to the public.

Moral law has its foundation in private property and physical force. Seat belt law tickles each facet in great measure. In addition to some of the related points above...

1. The state and society in general incurs significant cost when there is a traffic fatality. The state has to respond to the accident (diverts police and emergency response resources), perform the accident investigation (diverts police and infrastructure resources) and deal with the legal hassles of when a person dies (death cert, probate, autopsy, etc.). Society gets to suffer for having the roadway shut down for many hours.

2. An un-belted person is an explicit danger to other people. To others in the car for an un-belted person becomes a deadly projectile in the event of an accident. To others on the roadway an un-belted person who is often ejected from the vehicle causes the worst of distractions.

3. An un-belted person can lead to or contribute to accidents. Being un-belted a person simply moves around more in the seat and is thus that much less likely to maintain control of the vehicle in situations that can lead to an accident or regain control to minimize the consequences or avoid an accident as it is happening.

I'm all about minimizing the depth and breadth of the state but the above-mentioned standard bearers of moral law (the "benefit of other drivers" doctrine) certainly apply to seat belt laws confirmed by the fact there is virtually zero down side to wearing a seat belt.

Eye of the Tiger

I know someone that is alive today only because he didn't wear his seatbelt.
It's a personal choice, like sometimes I wear a belt to keep my pants up, and sometimes I don't.

ifcar

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 06, 2010, 09:44:45 PM
I know someone that is alive today only because he didn't wear his seatbelt.
It's a personal choice, like sometimes I wear a belt to keep my pants up, and sometimes I don't.

You can make the personal choice to ignore a seatbelt law just as you would a speed limit law.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on June 06, 2010, 09:45:31 PM
You can make the personal choice to ignore a seatbelt law just as you would a speed limit law.

You can make the personal choice to mind your own business and stop promoting laws that do nothing but control people's personal choices.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 06, 2010, 09:47:15 PM
You can make the personal choice to mind your own business and stop promoting laws that do nothing but control people's personal choices.

I don't care. Seat belts save lives. If you don't wear one, you are dumber than shit.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 06, 2010, 09:52:30 PM
I don't care. Seat belts save lives. If you don't wear one, you are dumber than shit.

Why do you want to save the dumb people?

280Z Turbo

ifcar

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 06, 2010, 09:57:24 PM
Somebody has to greet you at Wal-Mart.

You're thinking of OLD people, not necessarily dumb people.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ifcar on June 06, 2010, 09:58:13 PM
You're thinking of OLD people, not necessarily dumb people.

Well, somebody has to mop the floors when the trailer trash's bastard inbred kid throws up in the cereal isle.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 06, 2010, 09:57:24 PM
Somebody has to greet you at Wal-Mart.

The no seatbelt fine is more than a week's paycheck fir a typical Walmart greeter. They'd be better off dead, than filing backruptcy and becoming an even greater drag on our economy.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 06, 2010, 10:02:53 PM
The no seatbelt fine is more than a week's paycheck fir a typical Walmart greeter. They'd be better off dead, than filing backruptcy and becoming an even greater drag on our economy.

They make less than $65 a week? Oh dear.

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on June 06, 2010, 09:38:24 PM
1. The state and society in general incurs significant cost when there is a traffic fatality. The state has to respond to the accident (diverts police and emergency response resources), perform the accident investigation (diverts police and infrastructure resources) and deal with the legal hassles of when a person dies (death cert, probate, autopsy, etc.). Society gets to suffer for having the roadway shut down for many hours.

Deaths in general are very expensive. Like I said, there are a million stupid decisions someone can make to injure/maim/kill oneself.

Quote2. An un-belted person is an explicit danger to other people. To others in the car for an un-belted person becomes a deadly projectile in the event of an accident.

You can't be serious.

You have to really streeeeeeeeetch rational thought to come up with these impossible scenarios where a guy wearing a seatbelt is going to save some other guy's life. 99.9999999% of the drive and "legitimacy" of seatbelt laws are aimed at preventing the death/injury of the driver, not those sharing the road with him.

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on June 06, 2010, 10:23:09 PM
Deaths in general are very expensive. Like I said, there are a million stupid decisions someone can make to injure/maim/kill oneself.

One can make the case that wearing a helmet would similarly decrease injury and death but there are moderate to significant downsides spanning from comfort to decrease field of view. But there is zero downside to wearing a seat belt.

You can't be serious.

You have to really streeeeeeeeetch rational thought to come up with these impossible scenarios where a guy wearing a seatbelt is going to save some other guy's life. 99.9999999% of the drive and "legitimacy" of seatbelt laws are aimed at preventing the death/injury of the driver, not those sharing the road with him.

Not at all a stretch - that was some very solid Innertubing. It doesn't happen in every un-belted driving scenario or accident but people flying around in or out of cars happens frequently because of not wearing a seat belt; when this happens it is very unsafe for anyone in the vicinity.

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on June 06, 2010, 10:32:54 PM
One can make the case that wearing a helmet would similarly decrease injury and death but there are moderate to significant downsides spanning from comfort to decrease field of view. But there is zero downside to wearing a seat belt.

And there's zero downside to eating healthy, not smoking or drinking, looking both ways before you cross the street, and not climbing trees.

Quote from: GoCougs on June 06, 2010, 10:32:54 PM
Not at all a stretch - that was some very solid Innertubing. It doesn't happen in every un-belted driving scenario or accident but people flying around in or out of cars happens frequently because of not wearing a seat belt; when this happens it is very unsafe for anyone in the vicinity.

No, this is simply an absurd scenario.

"Did you hear what happened to Johnny? He was hit by a flying person."

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on June 06, 2010, 10:38:38 PM
And there's zero downside to eating healthy, not smoking or drinking, looking both ways before you cross the street, and not climbing trees.

Please recheck your premise - the state's responsibility in the event of a traffic death is profoundly greater than if a person dies from obesity or falling out of the tree.

No, this is simply an absurd scenario.

"Did you hear what happened to Johnny? He was hit by a flying person."

False. I specifically mentioned this as someone close to me was injured in exactly this fashion. She was riding shotgun (with a seat belt on) when an accident occurred and the person in the back (not wearing a seatbelt) came forward and their heads collided front to back. ~20 years later this person still suffers someone what from the neck trauma. Any rational person can see this as a very possible scenario with an unbelted passenger in the event of an accident.