My 79 300SD project

Started by Mustangfan2003, July 05, 2010, 03:38:21 PM

Mustangfan2003

Well found the rubber rings and my exhaust is off the ground now, need to get two more of them though. 

Laconian

Rubber's kind of a crummy material for that kind of duty, though. Given UV exposure, or salt, or oil, or _____, it's much too happy to deteriorate into little rubber crumbles.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Mustangfan2003

I actually saw the silver star logo on two of the old rings I found, amazing that it held that long.

Mustangfan2003

Well had to jump the car off today but I got her fired up.  Didn't drive it around any because one of my tires isn't holding air and my headlights are still fucked up. 

Rupert

Welcome to the world of old cars. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: Rupert on July 28, 2010, 01:08:04 AM
Welcome to the world of old cars. :lol:

Yeah tell me about it.  Still love the car but it's going to take longer than I thought to get everything working right. 

SVT_Power

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 28, 2010, 01:33:26 AM
Yeah tell me about it.  Still love the car but it's going to take longer than I thought to get everything working right. 

Rule of pi!
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Mustangfan2003

Just an update I still have this car, but I got a guy working on it right now.  He's had it in the shop for about 3 weeks now but I told him he didn't have to get in a hurry with it. 

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Mustangfan2003

When I get it back I need to get new tires and get new seals for the windshield.  The only time I took the car out in the rain I had a few streams inside.

Mustangfan2003

Some progress on the car.  My dad told me that the mechanic figured out why the car wouldn't shut off sometimes, some rodents had chewed up some vacuum lines.  Maybe I get the car back before Thanksgiving. 

cawimmer430

You need to take some more pictures of the 'Stang and the S-Class together.  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Mustangfan2003

I will whenever I get the Benz back. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 19, 2010, 09:08:46 AM
I will whenever I get the Benz back. 

Don't forget to buy a Nikon D3s!  :rockon:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

I'll wait and see what the bill is before doing that.  For now my Sony works fine. 

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Well the guy said the car was going to be done Wednesday, last Wednesday that is.  Man this is pissing me off. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on December 22, 2010, 10:37:51 AM
Well the guy said the car was going to be done Wednesday, last Wednesday that is.  Man this is pissing me off. 

Guy is probably joy-riding it through town. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Finally getting the car back next week and it's about damn time.  I don't know if they did everything I asked but I do know I can kill the car now and it has a new set of tires on it. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 20, 2011, 10:43:08 PM
Finally getting the car back next week and it's about damn time.  I don't know if they did everything I asked but I do know I can kill the car now and it has a new set of tires on it. 

NEW PICS PLEASE!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

I will when I get it.  Oh yeah the guy said he couldn't find an overheating problem.  Well duh you have to have the air condition running for a little while before it starts to climb.  If I take it anywhere else for anything to be done it will go somewhere else. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 21, 2011, 10:46:40 AM
I will when I get it.  Oh yeah the guy said he couldn't find an overheating problem.  Well duh you have to have the air condition running for a little while before it starts to climb.  If I take it anywhere else for anything to be done it will go somewhere else. 

Are you planning on giving it a new color and full restoration? 300SDs are probably rare in the US by now (since they don't 0-60 in 0.0950540 seconds!!!) and they need all the love they can get!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

I'm going back to the original color.  I actually got a can of the paint and my cousin actually got it for free some a seller, it's PPG too so it's good stuff.  For now I just want to make sure the car is drivable before I put it in the shop for painting since it's been a while since I've been in it.   

Mustangfan2003

Well the car is done but another small problem, you have to wiggle the key to kill the engine.  So now I'm going to be looking for an ignition lock cylinder I guess. 

Rupert

What has been done to it since you bought it?

Mustangfan2003

Vacuum lines replaced
New tires
Right rear brake hose replaced
Belts replaced
New electric radiator fan
New radiator cap
Freon converted to R134
Headlights fixed

Things it still needs
Needs aligned
Windshield seals need replaced
got paint for it, but not in a hurry to do that
right side power window switch needs replaced
and I think that's about it. 

Mustangfan2003

Well my dad told me he picked up the car today and it still doesn't die part of the fucking time.   :banghead:

Mustangfan2003

Well drove the car for the first time ins August today.  Drives good but it does suck to have to pop the hood and block one of the vacuum lines to kill the car.  I might do some research on troubleshooting stuff.  Also looks like I might have to do some work to my turbo because it makes noise when I accelerate and there is some oil leaking from that area.  :banghead:

Mustangfan2003

Well took the car for a drive this morning and it felt a little sluggish and then I smelled fuel.  I pop the hood and the inline fuel filter had a hole in it.  Going to go ahead and change it today when it cools down more outside and change the spin on filter too while I'm at it. 

Eye of the Tiger

Can you turn up the boost?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)