My 79 300SD project

Started by Mustangfan2003, July 05, 2010, 03:38:21 PM

Mustangfan2003

Figure this would be a good spot to follow along on my project

So far I've spent $10 on a right rear brake hose.

Next on the agenda is to likely replace the ball joints and/or the tie rod ends.  Taking it t a friend of mine who is a pretty good mechanic and I'm going to let him look at it. 

Eye of the Tiger

Put the V8 from your Mustang in it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Mustangfan2003

Yeah but the Mustang wouldn't be so much fun with a 5 cylinder diesel. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 05, 2010, 04:01:31 PM
Yeah but the Mustang wouldn't be so much fun with a 5 cylinder diesel. 

No, but it would be great with a 6.7L Power Stroke
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Mustangfan2003

Ah I like the good fuel economy in the land barge. 

cawimmer430

Love the W116 S-Class. That car is just so hot.  :wub:

If you're ever stuck and need technical assistance or some hard-to-get spare parts, there's always the very helpful Mercedes Classic Center.  :ohyeah:

http://www.mercedes-benz-classic.com/content/classic/mpc/mpc_classic_website/en/mpc_home/mbc.flash.skipintro.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Mustangfan2003

Thanks for the link, it could be real helpful.  Actually looking for some interior right now on the web.  Dash needs replaced and need some of the plastic pieces that cover the seat adjustment gear.  That can be done later on though I need to get the stuff fixed to make it more drivable.
Anyways list of stuff needs to be fixed
front end bouncy
windows don't roll down but I can hear the motor kick on for the drivers side
lights only work on high beam
gauges won't light up
the a/c working would be nice right now
also, might need new tires soon.  looks like these have been on the car a while as it was sitting. 
odometer isn't working and the tachometer isn't working   

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 05, 2010, 06:00:55 PM
Thanks for the link, it could be real helpful.  Actually looking for some interior right now on the web.  Dash needs replaced and need some of the plastic pieces that cover the seat adjustment gear.  That can be done later on though I need to get the stuff fixed to make it more drivable.
Anyways list of stuff needs to be fixed
front end bouncy
windows don't roll down but I can hear the motor kick on for the drivers side
lights only work on high beam
gauges won't light up
the a/c working would be nice right now
also, might need new tires soon.  looks like these have been on the car a while as it was sitting. 
odometer isn't working and the tachometer isn't working   

Anytime.  :ohyeah:

These parts are best ordered through Mercedes Classic Center. From what I hear they're not that expensive, but you can always try salvaging a few parts from junkyards with W116's in them. I have some technical literature on these cars, but most of it is in German. In some of my English-language Mercedes magazines there are detailed reports on the W116, but hardly any on the 300SD Turbodiesel as we never got it.

The Mercedes Classic Center is very helpful from what I hear. They can even put you in touch with the people in the US who know where to get the goods etc. (W116 clubs and such...).  :cheers:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

I got all of my windows working now except for the right rear, atleast I can get more air flowing into the car now.  Also my a/c compressor may not be locked up after all.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 07, 2010, 12:13:29 PM
I got all of my windows working now except for the right rear, atleast I can get more air flowing into the car now.  Also my a/c compressor may not be locked up after all.

Not sure about the US, but here those older Mercedes' need a completely new and modern A/C because they run on a cooling fluid that is extremely dangerous to the ozone layer - and thus banned here.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Well right now my a/c compressor is working.  I put new freon in it and it's now blowing cold air.  I can tell a decrees in power when I run the air now.  I have also got all the windows rolling down except for the right rear.  I think it's the main switch in the center console on the right side and I got a new one ordered.  My tie rod ends and ball joints looked fine but when I put the car on a jack I had a big bulge in my tire where it was sitting so I will have to get new tires soon.  Oh yeah the electric fan didn't work anymore, but I found an after market one that will work for around $50.  Next on the agenda is to change the belts and figure out why my low beam lights are not working.  After all that maybe I can move on to the paint.

Mustangfan2003

New belts are on the car and things sound a little better under the hood.  My new power window switch should be in tomorrow.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 07, 2010, 09:48:24 PM
Well right now my a/c compressor is working.  I put new freon in it and it's now blowing cold air.  I can tell a decrees in power when I run the air now.  I have also got all the windows rolling down except for the right rear.  I think it's the main switch in the center console on the right side and I got a new one ordered.  My tie rod ends and ball joints looked fine but when I put the car on a jack I had a big bulge in my tire where it was sitting so I will have to get new tires soon.  Oh yeah the electric fan didn't work anymore, but I found an after market one that will work for around $50.  Next on the agenda is to change the belts and figure out why my low beam lights are not working.  After all that maybe I can move on to the paint.

In one of these German-language technical reviews I have on the W116, it says to make sure you give a high mileage '300 Turbodiesel a proper turbocharger inspection as well. I believe these exhaust-driven-turbochargers were made by Garret.  :ohyeah:

Take some more pics of that beauty! A Mustang vs 300SD Turbodiesel photoshoot would be quite fantastic! Raw power vs 1970s CAFE standards!  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

I need to get an engine shot of that car.  It's a little dirty under the hood so I need to clean it up sometime down the road.  Going to get new tires next week.  Since my dad is a Cooper employee that is what I'll get.  Here are my 3 choices of tires offered for my car

I like the first one the best, the last one looks too much like a truck tire.

Mustangfan2003

Well just found out the last one is actually a winter tire.  Sorry for my ignorance of winter tires, we never have to use them down here.

cawimmer430

I'd go with the first tire as well. It looks elegant and fitting for such a car.

A few W126 S-Classes on my street look like offroad 4x4's in the winter when they have their winter tires on.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

The tires that were on the car are 205/70/R14 but the spare is a 195/75/R14.  None of them were the OE tire and not for sure what the OE size is but I think I will go back to the 205/70/R14 tires.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 08, 2010, 12:52:07 PM
The tires that were on the car are 205/70/R14 but the spare is a 195/75/R14.  None of them were the OE tire and not for sure what the OE size is but I think I will go back to the 205/70/R14 tires.

According to my little Mercedes Bible next to me, the original tire size for the 300SD Turbodiesel was 185 HR 14. I can scan the page for this car if you want. It's all in German but the technical stuff is pretty easy to make it.  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

I think I will just stick with the larger tire, should be able to take bumps better.  Oh yeah my right side window switch should be in tomorrow.  Cost around $65 and I think it's the OE one too.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 08, 2010, 12:59:08 PM
I think I will just stick with the larger tire, should be able to take bumps better.  Oh yeah my right side window switch should be in tomorrow.  Cost around $65 and I think it's the OE one too.

Don't forget the photoshoot when she's all done and ready!  :rockon:

Love the W116! Such a PIMP car!  :mrcool:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Oh I will.  Also this is the first Mercedes in my family, but not the first German car.  My dad told me my grandpa had a VW bus in the 70s.  My oldest cousin on my moms side had a 77 or 78 Beetle, whenever the last year in the U.S. was and had it for a while.  One cousin on my dads side got a New Beetle for her first car but it was a POS and they sold it after a year. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 08, 2010, 02:04:04 PM
Oh I will.  Also this is the first Mercedes in my family, but not the first German car.  My dad told me my grandpa had a VW bus in the 70s.  My oldest cousin on my moms side had a 77 or 78 Beetle, whenever the last year in the U.S. was and had it for a while.  One cousin on my dads side got a New Beetle for her first car but it was a POS and they sold it after a year. 

I could never stand the New Beetle. The original one sold because it was simple, well-made and iconic. VW tried cashing in on the cult status of this car with the New Beetle, which was heavier and apparently less fuel efficient. I think BMW/Fiat/Citroen executed their new MINI Cooper/500/DS3 better than VW did with their New Beetle.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Oh I changed a battery in a New Beetle once, never again.  You have to remove a fuse box on top of the battery and also take a bold out that is attached to the power steering pump, I believe.  Then you have to kinda turn the battery on its side to get it out.  Gotta love those old bugs though, so simple.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 08, 2010, 02:12:13 PM
Oh I changed a battery in a New Beetle once, never again.  You have to remove a fuse box on top of the battery and also take a bold out that is attached to the power steering pump, I believe.  Then you have to kinda turn the battery on its side to get it out.  Gotta love those old bugs though, so simple.

Reminds me of the time when I had a summer job at the local Mercedes dealer. I was tasked with charging the battery on one of those W168 A-Classes on the used car lot because it had recently been sold off to someone.

So I pop the hood...no battery. Strange. Then I open the trunk and look for the battery there. Nothing. Where the hell is the frigging battery on this thing!?  :huh:

Turns out it was in front of the co-passenger seat...  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

That is strange.  Seen a few in a lot of luxury cars in the back seat though.  Oh yeah back to my car, after I get new tires I will likely get an alignment job done on it also.  In a year I hope to have the car returned back to its former glory. 

cawimmer430

I am so used to the batteries being in the engine compartment. That's not the case on our 500SL and E320 though. The only car we own right now with the battery in the "proper place" is the BMW 118i.  :ohyeah:

You're getting an alignment job on the W116? Steering or suspension?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Well the car feels a little rough at highway speed, but I know the tires are part of the issue as long as the car was sitting.  I put the car on a jack and turned the front left tire and saw a big bulge in it.  I would also like to do something about my radio.  I still have the factory Becker cassette player in the car but I don't think my Ipod can plug into it  :lol:.  I like the look of the factory radio though. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 08, 2010, 02:35:07 PM
I still have the factory Becker cassette player in the car but I don't think my Ipod can plug into it  :lol:.  I like the look of the factory radio though.  

That's a big problem on such old cars. The original radios fit and match the character of the interior perfectly but they can't interact with the modern stuff like CDs, iPod's etc.

I think though that there are some manufacturers today that produce modern radio with an old-school look that wouldn't look out of place in a 1970s/1980s car. My neighbor did that with the radio in the '85 300SE we sold him.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Yeah I've seen those kits before for American cars, I'm sure I can find a kit for the Benz.  The radio works fine but the speakers are about shot and the antenna is broke, but the motor still works.  I can pick up an oldies station and a gospel station  :lol:

Mustangfan2003

Some pics of my motor and my new fan and some video of the car in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQs5YrkV8U