Here We Go.

Started by Catman, September 04, 2005, 06:19:28 PM

Raza

This doesn't happen often, but I'm with you, Greg.  

Law enforcement for 15 years!  That's a long time.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

I'm also with Greg on this one...the lady is going through hell at that moment as it is, she doesnt need another ticket at the moment.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

QuoteI'm also with Greg on this one...the lady is going through hell at that moment as it is, she doesnt need another ticket at the moment.
Totally...the universe decided to take a massive shit on her at that point, it would be nice if the cop were to clean a little of it off.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Sucks to be her, but she should still get the ticket anyway.

dazzleman

A ticket is nothing next to a real accident.  I'd take a ticket any day over an accident.

It makes no sense to give her a ticket at that point.  Kind of like pouring a few drops of water over somebody who's already dripping wet.

Everything is relative.  To get a ticket in a vacuum may suck, but compared to getting your car whacked, it's nothing.

I applaud Catman's good sense and compassion.  He's the type of officer we need out there.  Getting your car whacked is punishment enough, far worse than the standard punishment for speeding.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

Some people think we need no descretion, like robots. :rolleyes:  

Raza

QuoteSome people think we need no descretion, like robots. :rolleyes:
The probkem is that there are not nearly enough cops out there with heads on their shoulders as good as yours.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

QuoteSome people think we need no descretion, like robots. :rolleyes:
The probkem is that there are not nearly enough cops out there with heads on their shoulders as good as yours.
Well, thanks but I'd disagree.  I think that your more apt to run into the overzealous ones because your a punk. ;)  :lol:

dazzleman

QuoteWell, thanks but I'd disagree.  I think that your more apt to run into the overzealous ones because your a punk. ;)  :lol:
Catman, you're probably right.  I've come across some hard-azz cops as well as some really cool ones, but I can't say I've ever been treated worse than I've deserved by an officer.  People who complain a lot about how they're treated by police are usually not particularly law-abiding, and I usually find it hard to take their complaints too seriously.

All in all, we can't expect cops to all be laid-back nice guys.  We need them to be tough and hard sometimes, for our own protection.  Many of the cops in my town are pretty tough, and that's just the way I like it because it helps keeps crime down.  If that means I'm less likely to get a break if I get pulled over for speeding, so be it.  I'd rather get a speeding ticket than live with rampant crime.  People can't just flip a switch and go from being really tough with criminals to being Mr. Nice Guy with the public.

What I generally tell people who have a problem with cops is -- don't put yourself into a situation in which you have to deal with them very often.  Obey the law, don't get pulled over, and you won't have much of a problem.  If you do have to deal with them on occasion, be polite and don't show a resentful attitude.  Officers often expect the worst when pulling over somebody who appears to be a punk, and if you show them better than they expect, and give them a pleasant surprise, the encounter will be a lot easier for both parties.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

QuoteWell, thanks but I'd disagree.  I think that your more apt to run into the overzealous ones because your a punk. ;)  :lol:
Catman, you're probably right.  I've come across some hard-azz cops as well as some really cool ones, but I can't say I've ever been treated worse than I've deserved by an officer.  People who complain a lot about how they're treated by police are usually not particularly law-abiding, and I usually find it hard to take their complaints too seriously.

All in all, we can't expect cops to all be laid-back nice guys.  We need them to be tough and hard sometimes, for our own protection.  Many of the cops in my town are pretty tough, and that's just the way I like it because it helps keeps crime down.  If that means I'm less likely to get a break if I get pulled over for speeding, so be it.  I'd rather get a speeding ticket than live with rampant crime.  People can't just flip a switch and go from being really tough with criminals to being Mr. Nice Guy with the public.

What I generally tell people who have a problem with cops is -- don't put yourself into a situation in which you have to deal with them very often.  Obey the law, don't get pulled over, and you won't have much of a problem.  If you do have to deal with them on occasion, be polite and don't show a resentful attitude.  Officers often expect the worst when pulling over somebody who appears to be a punk, and if you show them better than they expect, and give them a pleasant surprise, the encounter will be a lot easier for both parties.
I'd agree with that. ;)  

dazzleman

Catman, what's your opinion of community policing?  Is it more of a big city issue than a town issue?

Catman

QuoteCatman, what's your opinion of community policing?  Is it more of a big city issue than a town issue?
I think it's a practice that's been done for a long time by progressive thinking officers.  Now they hve a term for it. ;)   I don't think it's success or failure is dependant on the size of the municipality.  It has more to do with how much freedom management gives individual officers.

dazzleman

QuoteCatman, what's your opinion of community policing?  Is it more of a big city issue than a town issue?
I think it's a practice that's been done for a long time by progressive thinking officers.  Now they hve a term for it. ;)   I don't think it's success or failure is dependant on the size of the municipality.  It has more to do with how much freedom management gives individual officers.
I remember in the early 1990s in New York, Mayor Dinkins brought in Lee Brown from Houston, and he instituted community policing.  In theory, it meant that officers were closer to the community and involved with it, which can be a good thing.  In practice though, it often meant going easy on criminals in the name of community relations.  Dinkins and Brown sat by idly for 3 days while blacks rioted in Crown Heights in 1991 because they thought it was better to let them "vent their anger."

The result was spiraling crime, and Mayor Giuliani effectively abolished this brand of community policing when he took over in 1994.  Giuliani instituted tougher tactics and details that significantly reduced crime, but sometimes led to tense relationships between the police and certain communities in the city.

I guess it depends how it is implemented.  I am in favor of the goal of community policing, but the New York experience makes me somewhat suspicious of it.

footoflead

QuoteSucks to be her, but she should still get the ticket anyway.
Why should she get a ticket, would you want a ticket after somebody slammed your car, I know i wouldnt, if anything i would want the officer to help me. You son are an @$$
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

mazda6er

That XitUp sounds like a grade-A jackass, add him to the list I guess.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

footoflead

QuoteThat XitUp sounds like a grade-A jackass, add him to the list I guess.
No

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

ifcar

No
???

BMWDave

No
???
Maybe he meant " I no" :blink:  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

:rolleyes:

I don't think so.  

Catman

Now he's mad because I insulted him. :rolleyes:  :lol:  

mazda6er

Better check the thread again Cat, now he's really mad.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Catman

QuoteBetter check the thread again Cat, now he's really mad.
LOL, I did.  What an ignorant idiot. :rolleyes:  

BMWDave

You sure handed his ass to him :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

I hope so. ;)  

footoflead

I hope so. ;)
Go get'em Catman B)  :lol:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

Why should she get a ticket, would you want a ticket after somebody slammed your car, I know i wouldnt, if anything i would want the officer to help me. You son are an @$$
If you say so...
If the same happened to me, i'd still expect the ticket.

footoflead

If you say so...
You have alot to learn grasshopper ;)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

If you say so...
You have alot to learn grasshopper ;)
that i do. :lol:  

Catman

If you say so...
Nothing wrong with expecting it.  Makes it all the better when you don't get it. ;)