Wintah tiyahs!

Started by the Teuton, October 20, 2010, 04:43:03 PM

SVT666

I only really have to worry about a lot of snow if I leave the valley.  Otherwise, the snow isn't that bad.

r0tor

I put my wintah tyres on today... pretty much because my summer tires are 70% worn and just picked up a nail in a completely unfixable location (aka near the sidewalk and plugs just blow out)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Ill probably get around to putting the snow shoes on myself sometime this week. Getting pretty cold.

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on October 25, 2010, 06:29:24 PM
I put my wintah tyres on today... pretty much because my summer tires are 70% worn and just picked up a nail in a completely unfixable location (aka near the sidewalk and plugs just blow out)

Should be repairable with a patch.  I've repaired nail punctures actually in the sidewall.  Personally, I won't use plugs alone.  I only use plugs for something pretty large (like a 1/4 bolt), and I use it to supplement a section patch.

That said, probably not worth paying to patch it with so little tread left.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

I tried two different shops as I wanted it patched and neither would touch it thanks to our litegatious world....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on October 26, 2010, 01:11:43 PM
I tried two different shops as I wanted it patched and neither would touch it thanks to our litegatious world....

Tire shops or general vehicle repair shops?  I doubt anybody at the latter would even know how to properly patch a tire (most general repair shops and dealer service shops only stuff a plug in from what I've seen and heard) and it wouldn't surprise me if folks at the former don't do enough of it to be any good at it.  I think it's almost a lost art for car tires.  I guess I'm lucky in that I have the know-how and access to the necessary equipment to do it myself if I ever get a nail puncture.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

I has tha tiyahs on muh car, but they feel every fucking bump in the ground and the steering doesn't feel as connected as it did.

Also, I need new front brake pads. Motherfucker.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

GoCougs

Dedicated now tires are absolutely awful on anything but snow. Terrible ride. Terrible road noise . Terrible traction. Floaty handling as the tread blocks roll and squish.

I'm dreading having to get them put on in the next couple of weeks...

The Pirate

Just picked up a set of winter tires and wheels myself today.  Almost new Bridgestone Blizzaks mounted and balanced on 14" steelies for $200.  :praise:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on November 07, 2010, 10:42:50 PM
Dedicated now tires are absolutely awful on anything but snow. Terrible ride. Terrible road noise . Terrible traction. Floaty handling as the tread blocks roll and squish.

I'm dreading having to get them put on in the next couple of weeks...

Dunlop wintersport m3s are none of the above... except when they wear out, then they are insanely loud

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on November 07, 2010, 10:19:24 PM
I has tha tiyahs on muh car, but they feel every fucking bump in the ground and the steering doesn't feel as connected as it did.

Also, I need new front brake pads. Motherfucker.

Really?  My car has a much better ride with winter tires, bumps aren't as noticeable.  Steering is nautical though, and every one of Cougs's points also applies.  Though re: ride, I'm going from 16" wheels and tires for summer to 14" wheels and tires for winter though.  What's your setup?

Pads are cheap and easy, dude.  Seriously, I know you're not big on working on cars yourself, but it's probably 30 minutes worth of work on that car. 

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT666

My car rides better, handles worse, experiences no difference in noise, and traction is really no different with winter tires.  Obviously depends on the winter tires.  My Hankook iPike W409s are awesome.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on November 08, 2010, 06:03:44 AM
Dunlop wintersport m3s are none of the above... except when they wear out, then they are insanely loud

Then I'd question how good they are in snow. That which makes (studless) snow tires good on snow by definition makes them terrible on bare roads.

S204STi

The wintersport m3 and 3d are both performance snows,bso they're not as good on snow and ice as say a WS60 but they are better than an all-season by a long shot.

hounddog

I think what Cougs is saying, is that by the very nature of what/how they are made true snow tires cannot be good on the dry.  

I have to agree with this from an experience standpoint, as well as from a basic knowledge of chemistry standpoint.  

Tires which have been made to be the very best on snow and ice are made with compounds so soft and sticky they cannot rise to the level warm blooded "regular" tires.  

Everytime they are adjusted to be better on the dry, their ability in the snow goes down.  

It is an "either/or" predicament, and while a nice happy medium can be reached, the happy medium will still pale in comparison to either side of the coin.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on November 08, 2010, 09:58:28 AM
Really?  My car has a much better ride with winter tires, bumps aren't as noticeable.  Steering is nautical though, and every one of Cougs's points also applies.  Though re: ride, I'm going from 16" wheels and tires for summer to 14" wheels and tires for winter though.  What's your setup?

Pads are cheap and easy, dude.  Seriously, I know you're not big on working on cars yourself, but it's probably 30 minutes worth of work on that car. 

Goodyear Winterforce tires. I'm going to have to get them balanced, too, because they vibrate like a mofo. I'll do that Saturday or next week.

And as for the pads and r0tors, read my post in the chat thread. I'm getting a good deal.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

You mean Firestone Winterforce?  That's a pretty good tire, my buddy has a Malibu with those tires (studded) and it's a beast in the snow.

I bought my setup yesterday, and Albany got a mini blizzard of sorts today.  How's that for timing?  :lol:

giant_mtb

Me and my friend traversed un-groomed snowmobile trails in a G6 with Winterforce tires.  It was rather amazing how well the car did. :confused:

the Teuton

My bad. Goodyear Ultra Grip...without the studs.

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 08, 2010, 10:22:27 PM
Me and my friend traversed un-groomed snowmobile trails in a G6 with Winterforce tires.  It was rather amazing how well the car did. :confused:

Yeah, we've definitely gone some crazy places in the Malibu.  And my Civic with Blizzaks was legit too, I'd bomb it through fields.  Getting high centered was an issue, but in light snow, it'd push through right until the snow started coming up over the hood.  I'm hoping the Mazda is equally adept, I'm looking forward to winter (we actually got a few inches today).

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on November 08, 2010, 10:23:09 PM
My bad. Goodyear Ultra Grip...without the studs.

That tire should be pretty good too.  Looks a bit like the General Altimax Arctic, which is a knock off of the Gislaved Nordfrost tire.  Pretty awesome stuff, I was looking for Altimax Arctics originally.  And I still might sell these Blizzaks and get the Altimax for the steelies (only $52 apiece in the size I need).

Rupert

We didn't get hardly anything for snow last year, but this year should be different. I'm looking forward to driving with a legit 4WD with good tires (aggressive AT tires with sipes-- next best thing to snow tires). In the past, fate has conspired against me to prevent me from driving a legit vehicle in snow. Once, when I had the first Trooper, we got a good snow, but I had a flat tire. Another time, with the other Trooper, we got a foot and a half, but the Trooper was a broke piece of shit by then. Actually, before I moved to Boise, I had only driven a few times in the snow. It snowed pretty good when I had my first car, and when I went to drive around in it, I discovered that the shocks were frozen! The first winter I was here, I had that Ranger with all seasons. I got stuck in an icy parking lot, and almost got stuck trying to turn onto a busy road. Good damn thing there are no hills in Boise. You had to be careful where you put the rear wheels, or you'd be SOL.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on November 08, 2010, 01:01:39 PM
Then I'd question how good they are in snow. That which makes (studless) snow tires good on snow by definition makes them terrible on bare roads.

I've driven a rwd sportcar for the last 6 years sometimes in snow that was half way up the front bumper... I'd say they are pretty damn sufficient

2o6

Hmmn.

I don't have snow tires.

Is this a problem?

S204STi

Do you live in a region that gets multiple heavy snowfalls per year?

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on November 09, 2010, 10:14:35 AM
Do you live in a region that gets multiple heavy snowfalls per year?

I do, and have for my entire driving life, and I still have yet to spring for dedicated snows.
Needs more Jiggawatts

the Teuton

My tires feel a lot better now. Of course, I drove on them for 150 miles with 10 psi under normal.

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on November 09, 2010, 03:40:38 PM
My tires feel a lot better now. Of course, I drove on them for 150 miles with 10 psi under normal.

Check for heat blisters.
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

Interesting, any 2WD car I've owned, including the Accord, has been mostly worthless in the snow on all-seasons. At least around here there's lots of hills and our roads aren't all that well plowed. Plus I do a lot pass and ski area driving, which is nigh impossible on all-seasons owing to DOT and area mandates.