Wintah tiyahs!

Started by the Teuton, October 20, 2010, 04:43:03 PM

the Teuton

So I picked up a set of Goodyear winter tires last week, and I was wondering when I should put them on. They have about 80% treadlife remaining, and I'm worried that if I put them on now, the soft compound would wear like a mofo in the 50-degree weather.

When would be the best time to put them on, and should I consider getting a set for my rear tires, too?

For reference, I live in SW Pennsylvania, and I drive about 100-150 miles/week. Thanks.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

It's more about the surface you'll be driving on.  And I'm guessing that for the majority of the winter, you won't be driving on snow-covered roads.  So... :huh:

We've had the same set of Blizzaks for four winters on the Grand Marquis and they're on the car about 5 to 6 months each year, including some longer (1000-mile) road trips where there isn't snow on the roads and they have another one or two good seasons left in 'em.  Put 'em on in a month.  Or after the first snow.  That's usually what we do.  No sense in putting them on now, eh?

MX793

I wouldn't put them on until late November, personally.  I suspect we get snow up here in NY before SW PA does, and we really don't see enough snowfall that sticks to the roads pre-Thanksgiving to make it worth putting them on much before that.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Wait, do you have a set, or just two?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

S204STi

Ill be putting mine back on whenever it gets to consistently freezing temps overnight, since my regular tires are now summer tires, not all-seasons.

I recommend a set of four snow tires to prevent unexpected oversteer in turns.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Pancor

They say that when the temperature begins averaging 7?, it's time to switch to the winter compounds.    Yes, and never put only two winter tires on a car, especially a FWD!

the Teuton

Quote from: Pancor on October 20, 2010, 07:38:27 PM
They say that when the temperature begins averaging 7?, it's time to switch to the winter compounds.    Yes, and never put only two winter tires on a car, especially a FWD!

So it's time to start searching out two for the rear, too? Everyone around here seems to only buy two at a time.

SVT666

Always use 4 winter tires.  Your rear end will try to pass the front if you're braking and the front tires dig in and the rears act like skates.  Put the tires on when your daytime temperature starts getting below 45F.  Once it gets down there, your night time temps start getting below freezing and you could wake up to snow one morning.  Personally, I wouldn't wait too long though because then you have to deal with the crush of people at the tire store who all waited till the last second.  The wear on the tires won't be too bad either since it won't be long before it gets cold.

the Teuton

Craigslist is my friend, and there's another set for $80 on it with wheels already mounted on them.

giant_mtb

A buddy of mine had a pair of WinterForce on the front of his Buick Regal one winter.  Never thought a FWD Buick could dorifto like that. :lol:

the Teuton

I survived Snowpocalypse with the same tires currently on my car. I'm sure it can be done; I just don't want to do it again.

Mustangfan2003

Glad I don't have to deal with this crap. 

Onslaught

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on October 20, 2010, 11:35:19 PM
Glad I don't have to deal with this crap. 
+1
I don't think I could deal with that crap. Perhaps it why so many northern people move south?

280Z Turbo

The day before it snows for me.

hounddog

I usually put mine on the week before thanksgiving, same time I put up the Christmas lights.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on October 21, 2010, 05:01:12 AM
+1
I don't think I could deal with that crap. Perhaps it why so many northern people move south?

It's not the once a year ritual of putting on snow tires that's the real hassle of winter (heck, I don't even bother with them).  It's the daily ritual of shoveling out the driveway and clearing/scraping snow and ice off of your car every morning so that you can get to work that's far far more bothersome.  And the road salt destroying your car well before it's time...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hounddog

Quote from: MX793 on October 23, 2010, 07:38:04 AM
It's not the once a year ritual of putting on snow tires that's the real hassle of winter (heck, I don't even bother with them).  It's the daily ritual of shoveling out the driveway and clearing/scraping snow and ice off of your car every morning so that you can get to work that's far far more bothersome.  And the road salt destroying your car well before it's time...
I never thought of that stuff as a chore. 

It is just part of life, much like having to eat and breath. 

Then again, I relished working in the most foul weather, too.

:huh:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Rich

Quote from: MX793 on October 23, 2010, 07:38:04 AM

And driving in white outs.  And having the crap stuck on your shoes when you get in your car so it gets your interior nasty.  And freezing your ass off until the car gets warm. And not be able to do the outside activities you normally do (running for me). And not being able to drive with the windows/top down with a nice warm breeze.  And not being able to do track days or autoXs because they are done for the season.  And your car looks like shit because of all the crap from the roads gets kicked up and you can't wash it because it's below freezing
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

the Teuton

This is why some of us drive $800 cars.

Rupert

Or SUVs that we don't care about cosmetically.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Those are all reasons why I LOVE the winter. :praise:

2o6

Quote from: R-inge on October 23, 2010, 04:48:38 PM
Those are all reasons why I LOVE the winter. :praise:

Right. I absolutely adore snow.

giant_mtb

S204STi

See, someone else with some sense. :lol:

hounddog

Love winter as well.

The X5, for what it is worth, is actually not good at all off the pavement.  While I am not surprised, I am disappointed.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

the Teuton

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on October 24, 2010, 02:54:56 PM
Boo!

You don't even have winter.  You had one giant storm last winter.  So you shush. :rage:

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 24, 2010, 05:22:07 PM
You don't even have winter.  You had one giant storm last winter.  So you shush. :rage:

you mad

S204STi

From what I hear colorado is likely to have most of the big storms fly over us to the north, so yous guys in the midwest might get quite a bit more snow than me this year.