Wintah tiyahs!

Started by the Teuton, October 20, 2010, 04:43:03 PM

2o6

Quote from: R-inge on November 09, 2010, 10:14:35 AM
Do you live in a region that gets multiple heavy snowfalls per year?

Yes.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 09, 2010, 03:50:34 PM
Interesting, any 2WD car I've owned, including the Accord, has been mostly worthless in the snow on all-seasons. At least around here there's lots of hills and our roads aren't all that well plowed. Plus I do a lot pass and ski area driving, which is nigh impossible on all-seasons owing to DOT and area mandates.
I agree.  Snows are mandatory here and I'm happy for that.  People who have never driven a car with snows have no idea the night and day difference there is between them and all-seasons (3 seasons).

Snow tires makes things better, but you can manage without them if you are willing to drive slower/ plan ahead.

I drove a rwd car without ABS in the snow with worn out summer tires all the time when I was in college and highschool.  I just got used to having no traction and not getting up certain inclines (so I planned around them) and very long stopping distances without being able to steer.

Then I drove my buddy's old civic in the snow with his regular all season tires, and I honestly had my mind blown, it was like defying physics.  I mean, making a 20 mph turn without drifting and countersteering??? what was this sorcery?

Then I got an SUV with AWD and mud/snow tires and was even more blown away.

Snow driving prowess is alot like speed and performance.  You can get used to 0-60 in 4 seconds, but you can still manage with a 0-60 in 14 seconds.  Think about back in the day when roads were not as well cleared, every car was pretty much RWD, ABS didn't exist, and tires sucked.  The northern side of the country didn't completely shut down when winter came.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on November 09, 2010, 04:22:23 PM

Yes.

I wouldn't call ~50" annual snowfall a justification for snow tires. lulz.

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 10, 2010, 10:01:14 PM

I view snow tires as the same thing as summer tires.  Sure, an all-season is going to get you around the corner, but a summer tire gets you around it that much faster.  :devil:  And yeah, I've made all-season work for many years, in an area that receives around 100 inches of snow annually.

To each his own, and I'd probably be less inclined to get snow tires if I owned a something like a Forester or a GM W-body (surprisingly adept in the snow), but the differences in performance on my Mazda are far too great to ignore. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Laconian

I just work from home when it snows.

Most of the time I work, but sometimes there are quotes surrounding the verb: "work"
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 10, 2010, 10:01:14 PM

Snowpocalypse raped them, too; just not as badly as it did everyone east of Ohio. They got 22 inches in a single sitting; we got 34.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

OMG the worst snow in the last 50 yeasr means i needz tires! ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on November 10, 2010, 10:26:19 PM
OMG the worst snow in the last 50 yeasr means i needz tires! ;)

:rage:

The only reason I got around last year was because I had a shovel and a 260 lbs. roommate to push my car. I only have one of those this year.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on November 10, 2010, 10:23:14 PM
Snowpocalypse raped them, too; just not as badly as it did everyone east of Ohio. They got 22 inches in a single sitting; we got 34.

That's absolutely no reason to get snow tires and you know it.  Like Rupert said.  I'm curious if people in areas like yours actually buy snow tires more often than people in actually snowy regions.  People in actually snowy regions simply know how to drive in the stuff.  People in your area of the country get 8" of snow, freak out, and then buy snow tires for the next snowpocalypse that never happens.

:huh:

Laconian

Sounds like here.

We freak out when it rains, too. You'd think we'd be used to it by now!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 10, 2010, 10:44:28 PM
That's absolutely no reason to get snow tires and you know it.  Like Rupert said.  I'm curious if people in areas like yours actually buy snow tires more often than people in actually snowy regions.  People in actually snowy regions simply know how to drive in the stuff.  People in your area of the country get 8" of snow, freak out, and then buy snow tires for the next snowpocalypse that never happens.

Mine were free. Duh. ;)

For reference:

giant_mtb

No reference is necessary.

Rupert

Seriously. We all know what a foot of snow looks like. But just because I drove through a smokey area last summer, does not mean I need oxygen tanks, ya dig?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

I drove through a bad part of town in Detroit once a few years ago.  I didn't go out and buy a gun afterwards, though.

Ya dig?

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 14, 2010, 06:45:35 PM
I drove through a bad part of town in Detroit once a few years ago.  I didn't go out and buy a gun afterwards, though.

Ya dig?

Better to be safe than sorry.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-sKZMbNqP0&feature=related

giant_mtb

Safe than sorry?  So, what...in the incredibly rare event of another snowpocalypse in which you won't drive anyway because your car has no ground clearance you can at least look out your window and go "ahhh, at least I have snow tires!"

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 14, 2010, 06:58:05 PM
Safe than sorry?  So, what...in the incredibly rare event of another snowpocalypse in which you won't drive anyway because your car has no ground clearance you can at least look out your window and go "ahhh, at least I have snow tires!"

Meh, ground clearance is an issue, but not so much.  I've pushed through snow coming coming up over the hood.  Granted, that was in a field at high speed...

Other than that, we'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.  You're clearly not in the winter tire camp.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

I miss eh-dubya-dee. Yes, the old car performed better than the new car in inclement weather without wintah tiyahs. It was noticeable.

The best thing the PlastiCar had going for it was the manual transmission made it easier to modulate the car's throttle to get out of snow drifts.

Still, I think this car will rock in the white stuff now. I need to get the wheels balanced, though.

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on November 14, 2010, 07:14:06 PM
Meh, ground clearance is an issue, but not so much.  I've pushed through snow coming coming up over the hood.  Granted, that was in a field at high speed...

Other than that, we'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.  You're clearly not in the winter tire camp.

Also dry snow, I bet.

giant_mtb

Quote from: The Pirate on November 14, 2010, 07:14:06 PM

Whaaaaa?  I love winter tires.  I just think it's strange/weird/pathetic/silly that Teuts and others that experienced one snowpocalypse think it's necessary to get snow tirez.

2o6

Yeah, because you're from the UP.

Rich

They aren't a necessity but they make life easier

and they get more than one snowfall a year
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 14, 2010, 08:27:59 PM
Whaaaaa?  I love winter tires.  I just think it's strange/weird/pathetic/silly that Teuts and others that experienced one snowpocalypse think it's necessary to get snow tirez.

Uh, I definitely got groceries with A/S tires on my car last year. I don't have a 260-pound roommate to help push my car anymore, though. More traction is always a plus.

Rupert

It's only more traction in snow/ice. It's less traction everywhere else.

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on November 14, 2010, 09:21:17 PM

Yeah, I know. I'm not really a fan of the ride at all right now. The car feels completely unsorted, twitchy, and bouncy like the struts are blown (which they're not).

Rupert

And you will suffer through this all winter long, only using the tires in a light snow two times. Sounds like a good purchase to me! ;)

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on November 14, 2010, 09:33:51 PM
And you will suffer through this all winter long, only using the tires in a light snow two times. Sounds like a good purchase to me! ;)

Luckily, the highway driving will only last so much longer. I might have to change the tires back for my 380-mile roundtrip to Columbus and back in a week if the weather keeps being generally pleasant.

The Pirate

Quote from: Rupert on November 14, 2010, 09:21:17 PM

Incorrect.

One other important component of winter tires is that they have a different (softer) compound to aid in grip in colder temperatures, even dry roads.  Forty-four degrees is a fairly significant point here - winter tires start to excel in temps colder than this while all-season grip is diminished and summer tire grip is more or less gone.  The difference now is less than it was even 10 years ago;, as technology evolves modern all-seasons are better able to maintain grip in cold temperatures, but proper winter tires are still superior.  There's a really good graph/study that proves this, I can't find it at the moment but I'll dig it up.

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 14, 2010, 08:27:59 PM

Hmm.  I distinctly got the impression that you weren't a proponent of snow tires.  That's what I get for finishing up a paper and enjoying a few adult beverage while I read the 'Spin.