Til Death do us part?

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, November 02, 2010, 06:19:06 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on November 02, 2010, 09:45:06 PM

I've been on a spree of test drives, but everything seems either too mundane or flawed in some sort of way. I like the Neon. It schools cars that people think it shouldn't be able to, all for much cheaper than the competition.

I would like to build an ITA Neon someday and eat all the Hondas and Mazdas alive.

Bro: They don't even make Neons anymore.  You're gonna have to get over them at some point in your life.

Rupert

Quote from: 2o6 on November 02, 2010, 10:25:52 PM

Maybe I don't want a sports car as the criteria of this thread.

So, then the answer is no, you've never driven a sports car, then? Don't knock it until you try it, eh?

My point is that people with no experience should chill out a bit on the OMG I must havez crappy econobox forevahz! enthusiasm.

(Of course, similarly, kids with no experience outside of mommy and daddy's luxury cars should chill out on the OMG all I can has is BMW!).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Cookie Monster

I could easily see keeping the Miata forever, though it'd probably go through a bunch of different phases/mutations throughout its lifetime.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: Rupert on November 02, 2010, 11:12:49 PM
So, then the answer is no, you've never driven a sports car, then? Don't knock it until you try it, eh?

My point is that people with no experience should chill out a bit on the OMG I must havez crappy econobox forevahz! enthusiasm.

(Of course, similarly, kids with no experience outside of mommy and daddy's luxury cars should chill out on the OMG all I can has is BMW!).

God, do I absolutely HAVE TO BE LIKE YOU?

DO I HAVE to own a Porsche 944 and some old British Triumph in order to be a car enthusiast?

If you read the thread, you'll see that he mentioned economy cars (Civic) as one of these cars you cannot live without.

Where in my posts did I say I don't like sports cars, nor do I want to own one? NOWHERE.

Is there something wrong with owning an economy car and making be able to dominate so called "sports cars"? NO. People do it with Civics', CRX'es, Neons and all sorts of cars  ALL THE TIME.

However, since the car I chose WAS NOT AN MX-5 or some other sports car, I get slammed.

Go screw yourself. I like what I like.

BimmerM3

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 02, 2010, 09:01:00 PM
BMW is certainly one of those that would last a lifetime, a 3 series is a car that could give someone a lifetime of fantastic motoring throughout the generations.

While I may not always own a 3er, I would be okay with saying that if I could ever only own one model of car for the rest of my life, it would be the 3 series, particularly because of all the variations.

Quote from: Rupert on November 02, 2010, 10:06:30 PM
In my experience, people who haven't driven any really good driver's cars are way more likely to insist that they think their little econobox/Accord/whatev is the best thing going.

Like how Rags thought his Accord handled well before he got the MX-5.

Quote from: 2o6 on November 02, 2010, 10:25:52 PM

Maybe I don't want a sports car as the criteria of this thread.

Go drive an E46 and tell me that you still want a Neon for the rest of your life.

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 03, 2010, 01:42:06 PM
While I may not always own a 3er, I would be okay with saying that if I could ever only own one model of car for the rest of my life, it would be the 3 series, particularly because of all the variations.

Like how Rags thought his Accord handled well before he got the MX-5.

Go drive an E46 and tell me that you still want a Neon for the rest of your life.

And why are you saying that I will only have one car for the rest of my life? FBC says " as part of your garage" the Neon is one of the cars I would love to have in my garage.

Personally, I don't like/wouldn't like fixing up a sports car. I would prefer to buy one outright, then when I got bored, buy something different.

2o6

Aside from my Neon, I need something large and glamorous:

And something odd looking and French.

sportyaccordy

Nah 2o6, you're wrong.

Your decision is based wholly on inexperience and the romanticizing of your first car. Neons are cool, but they're not even the best/most fun economy cars, let alone cars in general. You haven't even driven too many cars to be able to make such a final decision. I would drive some more cars...

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy
link=topic=23491.msg1421156#msg1421156 date=1288815040

Nah 2o6, you're wrong.

Your decision is based wholly on inexperience and the romanticizing of your first car. Neons are cool, but they're not even the best/most fun economy cars, let alone cars in general. You haven't even driven too many cars to be able to make such a final decision. I would drive some more cars...

Yes, because may want to someday come back and own a Neon sometime later in life, I'm wrong.

Thanks, guys.

Raza

911s and GTIs.  If I can only have one line, I'll go 911. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on November 03, 2010, 01:59:38 PM
Personally, I don't like/wouldn't like fixing up a sports car. I would prefer to buy one outright, then when I got bored, buy something different.

What makes you think all sports cars need constant tinkering?  My Boxster was the most reliable car I've ever owned. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=23491.msg1421168#msg1421168 date=1288816472
What makes you think all sports cars need constant tinkering?  My Boxster was the most reliable car I've ever owned. 

I mean, in the sense of what the other guys are talking, like buying an MG or something and turning it into something special.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on November 03, 2010, 02:08:57 PM
Quote from: 2o6 on November 01, 2010, 05:52:39 PM
1. I don't like large cars.

:huh:

Quote from: 2o6 on November 03, 2010, 02:19:22 PM

Yes, because may want to someday come back and own a Neon sometime later in life, I'm wrong.

No, you're wrong because you won't want to come back and own a Neon once you drive cars that aren't econoboxes.

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 03, 2010, 03:13:47 PM

No, you're wrong because you won't want to come back and own a Neon once you drive cars that aren't econoboxes.

OK.  :ohyeah:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Corvette/Camaro. One will always grace my driveway. ALWAYS!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Rupert

Quote from: 2o6 on November 03, 2010, 12:59:32 PM
God, do I absolutely HAVE TO BE LIKE YOU?

DO I HAVE to own a Porsche 944 and some old British Triumph in order to be a car enthusiast?

If you read the thread, you'll see that he mentioned economy cars (Civic) as one of these cars you cannot live without.

Where in my posts did I say I don't like sports cars, nor do I want to own one? NOWHERE.

Is there something wrong with owning an economy car and making be able to dominate so called "sports cars"? NO. People do it with Civics', CRX'es, Neons and all sorts of cars  ALL THE TIME.

However, since the car I chose WAS NOT AN MX-5 or some other sports car, I get slammed.

Go screw yourself. I like what I like.

No, you can be an enthusiast and own a Neon. But you have to lust after old Porsches and Triumphs. :lol:

Seriously, the dudes are right. You like the Neon because it's your first car, and it's not totally terrible. My first car was an '88 Nova, and I liked it a lot, too. Really very practical as a hatchback, fairly zippy, cheap to run and fix, etc. But at no time did I think that I would never sell it (and never buy another).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: 2o6 on November 03, 2010, 02:08:57 PM

And something odd looking and French.

See, now those I can get on board with!

Rupert

Quote from: 2o6 on November 03, 2010, 02:35:21 PM

I mean, in the sense of what the other guys are talking, like buying an MG or something and turning it into something special.

We're not saying that you have to buy an old car and fix it up, or even an old car that's already fixed up. There are plenty of newer, reliable cars that are perfectly good drivers cars. BMW is the easy thing to point to, especially considering how cheap they can be to own if you get one 15 year old or so.

I can (obviously) see enthusiasm for sports cars, but also for weird cars, cool looking cars, classic cars, cars that make the driver look cool, significant cars, etc. The Neon will be old enough to be called a classic, but it will never be anything other than old.

TBR

Quote from: Rupert on November 02, 2010, 10:06:30 PM
Right, among the other crappy cars, the Neon shines a bit. But you might as well fall in love with a Corolla. How about a sports car?

In my experience, people who haven't driven any really good driver's cars are way more likely to insist that they think their little econobox/Accord/whatev is the best thing going.

I have driven a handful of good driver's cars and still say the Neon is a pretty fun little car.

Now to the point that I will never be without one? Well, obviously not. The first generation Focus is just as fun, but better in every other way (of course more expensive too), except maybe fuel economy (don't really know or care enough to look).

Not at the point in my life where it would make since to make a life long prediction of what cars I will own.

S204STi

I'll likely keep the WRX for a very long time. Maybe add something else with opposed cylinders and fewer doors at some point...

hounddog

1971 bright green metallic with white leather interior.

Would keep it stock if it was a perfect rebuild on a complete car, otherwise I would do a LS2 transplant.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Rupert

Quote from: hounddog on November 05, 2010, 07:27:08 PM
1971 bright green metallic with white leather interior.

Would keep it stock if it was a perfect rebuild on a complete car, otherwise I would do a LS2 transplant.

Yes, but what car? ;)

hounddog

Quote from: Rupert on November 05, 2010, 09:14:50 PM
Yes, but what car? ;)
That is for me to know and you to find out.  ;)

71 Cutlass Convertible, bright green (or the electric blue could work) white interior.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

But if I find a perfect one, color will not matter as long as the interior is the white.   

If I find one that is not perfect, I will just have it done the way I want in the color I want.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

hounddog

In fact, I have been thinking of bidding on this one on ebay;

It is only at $12k something, and well below reserve, but figure if I bid seriously when auction ends I might make a serious offer since it is EXACTLY the color I was talking about.

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Rupert

hounddog

Yes, that is pretty much the point.

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Rupert

hounddog

Nope.

I have always loved that car.  It is just now that I am in a position to afford a toy like this. (picking the one and the time is up to me and I am in no hurry)

It had style, power, and was just a fun car to be in with friends.

It is simple, easy to drive, has a terrific ride and can have great sound.  

In short, it is the perfect cruising car.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

And, why would a person have to be in midlife crisis to want something fun?

I have a boat, but you never asked me that question.

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Rupert

Because being '70s is "pretty much the point." ;)

I obviously don't think that fun cars = midlife crisis. See Porsche.