Til Death do us part?

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, November 02, 2010, 06:19:06 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

So I was thinking the other day, is there a car or model line of car that you will always own or always want to have part of your garage.

This can be anything from a basic, reliable form of transportation up to tire burning sports cars. Is there anything that just clicks with you, something that hits all the right buttons(whatever they are) and you can't picture your automotive life without.

I've known corvette guys, subaru people, people that have had civics since day one. All these people have seemed to found their "soul mate" something that will be with them until the end.

I've had cars i've loved, alot. I've always sat and looked at them, drove them and thought "I'll always have one of these". Often times it never happens even though I always keep a eye out for them(porsche 944 I"m talking about you).

However the car that seems to really be my soul mate, my one automotive fling that will last a lifetime does not come from such a high pedigree as a porsche.

It's a mitsubishi, lowely economy car from one of the "on again, off again" japanese automakers that just can't seem to get much right. I imagine that they can't seem to get anything right because they don't have any "right" left. Apparently it all went into a tuned, tweaked and uncaged economy car known worldwide as simply. EVO

Many of you may remember I had a IX awhile ago, I sold that car to better position myself with more long term investments like home ownership.

Now the tide has turned back and I am once again in the hot seat, it's like I never left and I probably never will.

Til death do us part

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

I think I'd be happy with another Boobaru...hopefully with a turbocharger next time. It's just a well-built, fun car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MrH

Another IX?  Pics?

What else do you have these days? Still have that 300ZX twin turbo?  540i still around?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

It's a VIII, IX's are too spendy and I didn't want to spend that much so i picked up a clean VIII with 35K on it.

I have that, my 300zx and a 240sx project car.

hotrodalex

My El Camino will probably be mine until one of us dies.

MaxPower

I'll always have a pickup truck around, probably a Tacoma.

SVT666

I will always have to have a 4x4 and a sporty car.  After the SVT Focus is done, I'll be getting a Mustang and that car is definitely my automotive soulmate.

the Teuton

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 02, 2010, 06:55:36 PM
It's a VIII, IX's are too spendy and I didn't want to spend that much so i picked up a clean VIII with 35K on it.

I have that, my 300zx and a 240sx project car.

SR20DET?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: the Teuton on November 02, 2010, 07:56:18 PM
SR20DET?

Actually i've spent too much time reading hemmings sports and exotics along with my excellence porsche magazine.

I'm thinking of doing a rs inspired strip down of it and make it a "factory lightweight" of sorts.

I'm goiing to strip all non essentials and replace a few parts with light weight replacements. I'd like to convert the ka into a side draft carbed split manifold simpleton that needs nothing more than a hot wire and a fuel line.

I'm thinking 2000 lbs, 200-220 NA Hp. RAW

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm not talking carbon fiber and AC deletes.

The car is a canadian market(factorl LSD with no hicas) car with no A/c, power windows, locks, or anything. I'll pull the radio, A/C, wiper motors, headlight motors(will use a cable to move them up and down). No factory wire harness, no rear seats, no door panels(want to do a thin flat panel with leather strap like a rs door panel), etc etc. I'll do it really clean, in the end I hope to have a car that looks like a OEM stripped down factory car.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Neon.

If I were to sell this car, I hope to find a DOHC ACR someday. Maybe even an NYG Sedan.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 68_427 on November 02, 2010, 08:09:08 PM
LS swap.

My friend has a 240sx(identical to mine) with a LS1 in it. Too much money and way too much work. It's fast, but he swears up and down my Z is just as quick. We ran a few times on some back roads and other than a leap off the line, he didnt' gain any ground.

I want a light(really light) corner carver. The only reason I"d swap out the KA is to get rid of the iron block. As far as possible motors, the only thing I would do(for cost reasons) is a RB20. They are cheap and should make good power, but I would prefer the lower end torque, instant throttle response of a bigger NA motor(like a mild built KA).

Onslaught

MX-5

If something happened to my MX-5 like a fire or something that I couldn't fix then I'd get another NA like it. I will never go a day without having one.
And as time passes, I feel that one day I'll say the same thing about a rotary car. RX-7 or RX-8 or whatever.

CALL_911

I would say Subaru, but the direction they've been heading in makes me question that.

But I could see myself saying BMW once I get a career (yes, I know they're heading in the same direction as Subaru).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 02, 2010, 08:12:41 PM
My friend has a 240sx(identical to mine) with a LS1 in it. Too much money and way too much work. It's fast, but he swears up and down my Z is just as quick. We ran a few times on some back roads and other than a leap off the line, he didnt' gain any ground.

I want a light(really light) corner carver. The only reason I"d swap out the KA is to get rid of the iron block. As far as possible motors, the only thing I would do(for cost reasons) is a RB20. They are cheap and should make good power, but I would prefer the lower end torque, instant throttle response of a bigger NA motor(like a mild built KA).

I just said LS swap because I say LS swap to everything.  The "rs" idea is tyte shiite.
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 02, 2010, 08:12:41 PM

Doesn't the RB have an iron block? Big polar moment too. The VQ on the other hand....

I like the idea of your super light 240. I hear their chassis' are noodly. My dream is to one day give an old car like a 240SX or 92-96 Prelude the ITR treatment. Strip the car down, acid bath too if possible, reinforce the body's weak points with braces and spot welds... build a super responsive, tractable motor, enjoy. One day.

If there's one brand I would always want to have... gah... do I have to choose? I would say BMW. If not BMW, Honda. BMW's got something for all my automotive whims. I think I could drive a turbo E39 530i for the rest of my life.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 02, 2010, 08:55:51 PM
Doesn't the RB have an iron block? Big polar moment too. The VQ on the other hand....

I like the idea of your super light 240. I hear their chassis' are noodly. My dream is to one day give an old car like a 240SX or 92-96 Prelude the ITR treatment. Strip the car down, acid bath too if possible, reinforce the body's weak points with braces and spot welds... build a super responsive, tractable motor, enjoy. One day.

If there's one brand I would always want to have... gah... do I have to choose? I would say BMW. If not BMW, Honda. BMW's got something for all my automotive whims. I think I could drive a turbo E39 530i for the rest of my life.

Thanks, since i'm shooting for a 70's theme(porsche RS meets italian lightweights, alfa's abarths etc) the "noodly" chassis will fit in nicely. It won't be super rigid, just light raw and powerful. Really something different given the common approach to 240's. I think you might be right about the RB's, it's the SR that has the aluminum block IIRC. I do plan to do my 240 proper, starting with a complete strip down and then rebuilding with only the bare essentials. I've actually been thinking of sending the suspension pieces to a family friend who may be able to remake all the control arms in aluminum and maybe the rear subframe, but that might be gettting carried away.

BMW is certainly one of those that would last a lifetime, a 3 series is a car that could give someone a lifetime of fantastic motoring throughout the generations.

sportyaccordy

Ah, I thought the SR had an iron block too; but it's aluminum. Shame they didn't make the SR20VE for RWD. Aluminum control arms/ knuckles sound good too; just gotta make sure they're isolated from the steel chassis otherwise something crucial will rust. I like the sound of that build though.

Rupert

Quote from: 2o6 on November 02, 2010, 08:10:52 PM
Neon.

If I were to sell this car, I hope to find a DOHC ACR someday. Maybe even an NYG Sedan.

I don't really mean to pick on you, but have you ever driven, like, a good car?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

A sports car of some kind will be in my driveway at all times. The 944 fits the bill very well, and I could see continuing with the same for a long time. I think it would be kind of cool to have a weird old car, too, like a Fiat 850 or X1/9, just for driving around town.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on November 02, 2010, 09:18:38 PM

Are you saying something like a pre-"Bangle" (even though he was responsible for a lot of good designs, too) BMW?

What's a good car?

2o6

Quote from: Rupert on November 02, 2010, 09:18:38 PM

I've been on a spree of test drives, but everything seems either too mundane or flawed in some sort of way. I like the Neon. It schools cars that people think it shouldn't be able to, all for much cheaper than the competition.

I would like to build an ITA Neon someday and eat all the Hondas and Mazdas alive.

Rupert

Quote from: 2o6 on November 02, 2010, 09:45:06 PM

I've been on a spree of test drives, but everything seems either too mundane or flawed in some sort of way. I like the Neon. It schools cars that people think it shouldn't be able to, all for much cheaper than the competition.

I would like to build an ITA Neon someday and eat all the Hondas and Mazdas alive.

Right, among the other crappy cars, the Neon shines a bit. But you might as well fall in love with a Corolla. How about a sports car?

In my experience, people who haven't driven any really good driver's cars are way more likely to insist that they think their little econobox/Accord/whatev is the best thing going.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 02, 2010, 09:15:58 PM
Ah, I thought the SR had an iron block too; but it's aluminum. Shame they didn't make the SR20VE for RWD. Aluminum control arms/ knuckles sound good too; just gotta make sure they're isolated from the steel chassis otherwise something crucial will rust. I like the sound of that build though.

I think I'll start digging into the 240 this winter, I don't have anything else planned so maybe I can have it striped down and repainted by early summer. Reassembly should go pretty quick, considering only abouy 40 percent of what I take off will be put back on it.

Rupert

That sounds like a really fun project, actually.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on November 02, 2010, 09:25:55 PM
Are you saying something like a pre-"Bangle" (even though he was responsible for a lot of good designs, too) BMW?

What's a good car?

Driver's car. Most smaller Bimmers count, at least the older ones (I've never driven a new BMW).

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on November 02, 2010, 10:08:28 PM
Driver's car. Most smaller Bimmers count, at least the older ones (I've never driven a new BMW).

The 1er, the Z4 to some degree, sports suspension manual cars, and a few M cars. That's all I count. The only definite out of all of them is the 1er.

2o6

Quote from: Rupert on November 02, 2010, 10:06:30 PM
Right, among the other crappy cars, the Neon shines a bit. But you might as well fall in love with a Corolla. How about a sports car?

In my experience, people who haven't driven any really good driver's cars are way more likely to insist that they think their little econobox/Accord/whatev is the best thing going.

Maybe I don't want a sports car as the criteria of this thread.