"Unstable Vehicles"? A Mater of Speaking...

Started by Atomic, November 13, 2010, 10:25:20 AM

Atomic

Safety Watch: Nine 2011 Vehicles That Still Lack Stability Control*

Report: CarConnection

On: Nov 12, 2010 10:46 pm

By: Bengt Halvorson

If you could check the box for a safety feature that's been shown to dramatically decrease the chances of an accident, you would, right?

That's the case with electronic stability control (ESC); it's been shown to reduce accidents, fatal crashes, and rollovers, and with economies of scale doesn't cost as much as you might think. NHTSA had estimated that its mandate for stability control to be standard by 2012 will cost an average of $111 per vehicle but save nearly 10,000 fatalities annually?along with, potentially, hundreds of thousands of injuries and accidents. Including related components, some automakers have placed the total cost of ESC to be $400 or more.

The idea behind electronic stability control is simple: the brakes are applied individually at one or more of the wheels to help restore a traction and/or a vehicle imbalance in an extreme maneuver?perhaps allowing you to avoid an accident.

But while stability control systems for some SUVs and luxury vehicles are already into their second or third generations of this technology, some of the least expensive models on the market still haven't received the lifesaving technology.

The need is especially dire for small cars because of their weight disadvantage in multiple-vehicle accidents.

According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), electronic stability control was standard on 85 percent of all vehicles for the 2010 model year?including 100 percent of SUVs but 88 percent of cars and just 62 percent of pickups.

Automakers have just over the past couple of years moved quickly to get stability control into compact pickups. The 2011 Chevrolet Colorado, 2011 GMC Canyon, and 2011 Ford Ranger all now come with it standard, and larger pickups have all come with it for several model years.
What remains for 2011?aside from a few wildcards like the four-cylinder Nissan Frontier and the Mazda RX-8?is a surprisingly long list of cheap, small cars that still don't get the feature, or don't have it standard.

A number of the smallest, least-expensive cars, including the 2011 Ford Fiesta, 2011 Toyota Yaris, 2011 Scion xB, 2011 Kia Soul and 2011 Mazda2, now include standard stability control, while a class up, vehicles such as the Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus, Kia Forte, Hyundai Elantra, and Mitsubishi Lancer all have it standard.

If price-conscious new-car shopping is on order for you or your family, scroll to the next page to take a look through this list of models that even, for 2011, don't include ESC:

2011 Chevrolet Aveo

GM was an early pioneer with ESC, with its excellent StabiliTrak system that made its debut in some Cadillacs 14 years ago. But stability control still isn't at all available on Chevrolet's most affordable car, the 2011 Chevy Aveo. Anti-lock brakes are optional?and only on top trims?and we gave the 2010 Aveo one of our lowest safety ratings for its 'moderate' side-impact and 'poor' rear impact scores from the IIHS, along with three stars in one side-impact category from NHTSA in its former, more generous ratings method. An all-new model is in the works for 2012.

2010 Dodge Caliber

Chrysler has been revamping its Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep models, and restructuring trims and standard equipment. Unfortunately, stability control isn't included in the base 2011 Dodge Caliber Express, which costs $17,630, including destination. You have to step up to the $18,990 Caliber Mainstreet for that.

2011 Honda Civic

We've criticized Honda for only bundling some most-wanted?and some would say necessary, given state laws?Bluetooth connectivity features on top trims of its vehicles. Well, for the Civic, that applies to electronic stability control, too. To get ESC on a Civic Coupe or Sedan, you need to step all the way up to a 2011 Honda Civic EX-L, costing around $22k. Although Honda hasn't yet released pricing and details on the 2011 Honda Fit, for the 2010 Fit you also had to get the top-of-the-line Fit Sport, specially optioned with Honda's VSA.

2010 Hyundai Accent

While Hyundai has earned heaps of good words from us for most of its current product line, the 2011 Accent is perhaps the strongest exception. In the current market, it's just a small, cheap car?the lowest-priced on the market, at $9,985 before destination, but one that skimps on safety. Anti-lock brakes, the foundation for electronic stability control, are only offered on top Accent SE hatchback trims (or part of a $1,050 option package on the Accent sedan. Look for an all-new Accent next year?likely with standard stability control.

2011 Kia Rio

There's no electronic stability control offered on the 2011 Kia Rio, whatsoever. And even if you love the Rio, and it seems like an amazingly great deal on the dealer lot, hold on; we'd suggest if you're concerned about safety you'd be well served to wait for next year's all-new model.

2010 Nissan Versa

At just $9,990 not counting destination, the Versa 1.6 Base is nearly tied for the lowest-priced regular passenger car on sale in the U.S. market. And considering every penny counted to get the price down below the $10k mark, there's no air conditioning; no power anything; no radio, even. Electronic stability control isn't even on the options list. However the Versa can be quite well equipped, and if you go for one of the top Versa SL models, and you can only get it with an automatic transmission.

2011 Suzuki SX4

Most of the Suzuki SX4 lineup includes electronic stability control; but if you're considering the SX4 sedan, or the SX4 Sport sedan, beware that it might not include the feature. In the SX4 Sport sedan lineup, you need to go for the $19,644 (including destination) Sport GTS, and at that point in our opinion you might as well spend exactly a hundred dollars more and get a base 2011 Suzuki Kizashi, which includes the feature.

2010 Nissan Frontier

While all of its rivals like the Ford Ranger, Chevrolet Colorado, and Toyota Tacoma now include electronic stability control, it's still not included in all 2011 Nissan Frontier models. Go for the base four-cylinder engine and, quite simply, you can't get it. Base Frontiers come with no anti-lock brakes either.

2011 Mazda RX-8

It's a little surprising that, at $27,590, the base 2011 Mazda RX-8 Sport doesn't include electronic stability control. But in part, these true sports cars are bought as serious track-day devices, so perhaps that's the line of thinking. Step up to the RX-8 Grand Touring or R3 models, and you'll get stability control.

*Oddly, it says "for 2011", when, as you can see, some vehicles are labeled "2010"

Atomic

i am surprised about the mazda rx-8, not the others. i do expect that honda, to stay competitive will offer this feature in even its base civic for '12. the life of the current civic has been delayed one model year and from what i read recently honda of north america will debt the 2012 version next month or in early 2011.

cawimmer430

Consumer Reports would say "AVOID AT ALL COSTS!"

:thumbsup:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

93JC

I don't have stability control. :huh:

Or traction control. Nor TPMS, for that matter.

Atomic

AutobahnSHO

anyone actually see a need for stability control?

Unless you're a total tard that has never had the vehicle up on 2 wheels (kinda on purpose) you should know not to do silly driving stunts while on public roadways..
Will

Onslaught

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 13, 2010, 05:57:28 PM

Unless you're a total tard that has never had the vehicle up on 2 wheels (kinda on purpose) you should know not to do silly driving stunts while on public roadways..
Not in an RX-8. If you need it in one of those then you shouldn't buy one in the first place.

Oh, and even ones that have it don't use it unless you go nuts. It's one of the least invasive units I've seen.

AutobahnSHO

I've just never heard of a decent driver rolling a vehicle.

Sure I've seen plenty of morons driving their SUV way too fast for corners or whatnot. But seriously.
Will

Atomic

doesn't it help avoid hydroplaning? i know it helps in ice and snow.

the Teuton

PlastiCar doesn't have stability control, and it's been on the road for fifteen years now. Heck, only the Accord and PT Cruiser in the family have traction control, I believe. I don't think either has stability control, and they're both absolutely loaded.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

Quote from: Onslaught on November 13, 2010, 06:44:51 PM
Not in an RX-8. If you need it in one of those then you shouldn't buy one in the first place.

Oh, and even ones that have it don't use it unless you go nuts. It's one of the least invasive units I've seen.

Well it does come in handy during snow storms....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

I've had two accidents that could have been avoided by stability control. I wasn't driving recklessly or anything; roads were wet and I just spun

I know Carspinners all ahve driving e-resumes that include F1 podiums, but ultimately, for real people, stability control is a plus, as evidenced by the lower accident rates

thewizard16

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 13, 2010, 09:36:25 PM
I've had two accidents that could have been avoided by stability control. I wasn't driving recklessly or anything; roads were wet and I just spun

I know Carspinners all ahve driving e-resumes that include F1 podiums, but ultimately, for real people, stability control is a plus, as evidenced by the lower accident rates
:hesaid: It's a nice feature. Even the best driver that gets T-boned, suddenly slips on ice or a wet road, etc. is going to have a split second (or more than a second) of pure shock where they aren't likely to have their full "skills" at play, and stability control can be very helpful in those situations. I know very few of us like invasive safety nannies, but they're very helpful for the vast majority of the population, and none of us are faster than a computer when it comes to detecting and responding to slippage.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Speed_Racer

I don't mind cars with ESC that you can completely turn off at certain times. But having ESC on cars I've driven have saved my butt a few times in winter storms.

But this summer when driving the family's SX4 on a gravel road, it was nice to be able to turn it off and pretend I was Ken Block.

hounddog

Unless you're a total tard
You just described 98% of the motoring public when it comes to sitting behind the wheel. 

I have no problem with stability control, since most people never really even notice it is on.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hounddog on November 13, 2010, 11:21:04 PM
You just described 98% of the motoring public when it comes to sitting behind the wheel. 

I have no problem with stability control, since most people never really even notice it is on.

I don't have a problem with it- although it bothers me that Americans don't know how to drive, and never will without a better driver's ed, licensing requirements, and personal accountability..
Will

sportyaccordy

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 14, 2010, 06:47:01 AM
I don't have a problem with it- although it bothers me that Americans don't know how to drive, and never will without a better driver's ed, licensing requirements, and personal accountability..
Doing away with ESC won't solve that. That's an entirely different issue. Pretty much all safety systems (seatbelts, ABS, SRS, ESC yadda yadda) will help everybody- nobody can properly brace themselves from a head on collision w/their bodies, or apply brakes at one corner, or even properly recover a car from a spin. Even professional race car drivers spin out/crash. The superheroism and out of control egos are ridiculous.

Plus most of the internet Schumachers have no more training or formal track experience than the avg Joe, but scream to the heavens that ESC is the devil. The ppl who complain about it the most actually put themselves in situations that warrant these systems the most. I'm curious to know who on this board actually has track experience or has gone through any driving school... I'm almost certain most of the anti-ESC people haven't.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 14, 2010, 06:47:01 AM

Substitute Canadians for Americans and that about sums up my feelings on it.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

ChrisV

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 14, 2010, 08:37:05 AM
Doing away with ESC won't solve that. That's an entirely different issue. Pretty much all safety systems (seatbelts, ABS, SRS, ESC yadda yadda) will help everybody- nobody can properly brace themselves from a head on collision w/their bodies, or apply brakes at one corner, or even properly recover a car from a spin. Even professional race car drivers spin out/crash. The superheroism and out of control egos are ridiculous.

Plus most of the internet Schumachers have no more training or formal track experience than the avg Joe, but scream to the heavens that ESC is the devil. The ppl who complain about it the most actually put themselves in situations that warrant these systems the most. I'm curious to know who on this board actually has track experience or has gone through any driving school... I'm almost certain most of the anti-ESC people haven't.

I'm rolling my eyes at you as hard as I can.

Let it be an option. Let it be defeatable. But lets not require it on every vehicle for that vehicle to be "competitive" or even legal.

"let's not spend ANY money on teaching people how to drive. Instead, we'll force everyone to spend money COMPENSATING for the fact we won't teach them how to drive."

How GD backwards. And then watch what happens when their electronic crutch breaks.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

93JC

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ChrisV on November 14, 2010, 09:38:23 AM
I'm rolling my eyes at you as hard as I can.

Let it be an option. Let it be defeatable. But lets not require it on every vehicle for that vehicle to be "competitive" or even legal.
Never said it shouldn't be. You should work on your reading comp

"let's not spend ANY money on teaching people how to drive. Instead, we'll force everyone to spend money COMPENSATING for the fact we won't teach them how to drive."
Seriously, are you retarded? Here's what I ACTUALLY said:

"Plus most of the internet Schumachers have no more training or formal track experience than the avg Joe, but scream to the heavens that ESC is the devil. The ppl who complain about it the most actually put themselves in situations that warrant these systems the most. I'm curious to know who on this board actually has track experience or has gone through any driving school... I'm almost certain most of the anti-ESC people haven't."

So we actually agree... all I'm saying is, if ppl wanna bitch about ESC, they better damn sure get some more training or experience afforded to them beyond standard American training, either in the form of racing driving school or some actual track experience. You have guys talking about how pushing their cars to 10/10ths on public roads are better than an ESC system. Lol.

How GD backwards. And then watch what happens when their electronic crutch breaks.
If you can find some evidence of accidents having been caused by failures in ESC systems, I'm all ears. Otherwise, your credibility = 0

ChrisV

hey dumbass, I only responded to you with my first sentence, the rest was a general response about the requirements for stability control to be competitive or legal, and how the regulators envision the reasons for forcing it on people. I.e. they think it's better for all of us to pay more for a nanny in our cars than pay a little bit to learn how to drive better. And sorry, but it IS backwards to effectively say "we won't teach people how to drive, but we'll force them to pay for tech to save them due to their lack of skill."

I really can't believe you're so stupid you'd argue with that. But hey, you've surprised me before.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ChrisV on November 14, 2010, 03:34:37 PM
hey dumbass, I only responded to you with my first sentence, the rest was a general response about the requirements for stability control to be competitive or legal, and how the regulators envision the reasons for forcing it on people. I.e. they think it's better for all of us to pay more for a nanny in our cars than pay a little bit to learn how to drive better. And sorry, but it IS backwards to effectively say "we won't teach people how to drive, but we'll force them to pay for tech to save them due to their lack of skill."

I really can't believe you're so stupid you'd argue with that. But hey, you've surprised me before.
Well from a cost benefit analysis, it makes more sense to just force manufacturers to comply with new safety regs than to embark on a wholesale nationwide revamping of drivers ed.  Again, never said I disagreed that in general America does a piss poor job of training it's drivers; my only points are,

- one doesn't take place of the other (i.e., ESP devices still benefit even a fully trained driver)
- many of the people who complain loudest about the "intrusions" of ESP have no formal driving training beyond America's shitty driver's ed system

So to me it's silly to complain about ESP when most people aren't doing anything to better themselves as drivers to begin with

Should it be compulsory? Debatable, but prob not... ABS isn't compulsory IIRC, etc. Whatever. But for one to complain about the intrusions of ESC, one had better have more driving training than a few hours of drivers ed and a license

Northlands

My cars have no nanny devices attached. I've had some track experience ( and school time! ) I will bitch about said devices once I encounter them in my next vehicles.  :praise:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Northlands on November 14, 2010, 03:51:35 PM
My cars have no nanny devices attached. I've had some track experience ( and school time! ) I will bitch about said devices once I encounter them in my next vehicles.  :praise:
Well, there you go.

Plus, odds are, if it's a vehicle worth pushing to it's limits, it will have the option of bypassing said feature. Or you could always just buy used

93JC

Ha ha ha ha ha, god Chris V is an asshole. :lol:

Why haven't you people ignored that dipstick yet?

2o6

If I had ABS, I wouldn't have gotten into an accident today.

Guess I'm unfit to drive, huh?

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on November 14, 2010, 04:21:14 PM

Did you crash because your wheels locked and you couldn't steer, or did you crash because you couldn't stop short enough?  If the former, ABS probably would have helped.  If the latter, it might not have.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

Quote from: 2o6 on November 14, 2010, 04:21:14 PM

Don't know. What did you do?