Looking at some tires for the Z...

Started by 280Z Turbo, September 11, 2005, 05:05:53 PM

280Z Turbo

I'll probably replace all 4 next spring. The 195/70/14 all seasons on 5.5 inchers weren't cutting it at the track, so I decided to step up to 215/60/14 on 6 inch rims.

I'm pretty limited in this size, but I decided that this was the best size for the car and the rims.

Here's my choices:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp...=None&x=55&y=16

Which one would you get? I'm leaning toward the Yokohama Avid S/Ts.

footoflead

QuoteI'll probably replace all 4 next spring. The 195/70/14 all seasons on 5.5 inchers weren't cutting it at the track, so I decided to step up to 215/60/14 on 6 inch rims.

I'm pretty limited in this size, but I decided that this was the best size for the car and the rims.

Here's my choices:

I looked at everything and it seemed the best bang for the buck, I'm assuming these tires will be your race set, correct
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

MX793

I had some Avid T4s on my last car and was pretty happy with the grip in all weather.  The S/Ts appear to be an even better tire going by the reviews and are a little cheaper.  I think they're a pretty good bet.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

QuoteI'll probably replace all 4 next spring. The 195/70/14 all seasons on 5.5 inchers weren't cutting it at the track, so I decided to step up to 215/60/14 on 6 inch rims.

Here's my choices:

I looked at everything and it seemed the best bang for the buck, I'm assuming these tires will be your race set, correct
Nope, they're street tires.

Why would the T4s cost more if the S/Ts are better? Snow traction is totally irrelevant for me, wet traction isn't that important, so I'm mostly worried about dry traction and cornering stability.

Also, should I get white letter or blackwall?

footoflead

Here's my choices:

Nope, they're street tires.

Why would the T4s cost more if the S/Ts are better? Snow traction is totally irrelevant for me, wet traction isn't that important, so I'm mostly worried about dry traction and cornering stability.

Also, should I get white letter or blackwall?
I would go for white, i like white on most vehicals except when the tires dont match all the way around <_< , I think white would look decent on you Z

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

FlatBlackCaddy

Have you thought of stepping up to a bigger rim(there has to be some 15" 4 bolt nissan rims that will work(maybe 240sx rims)). You could get better grip and end up with more options.

footoflead

QuoteHave you thought of stepping up to a bigger rim(there has to be some 15" 4 bolt nissan rims that will work(maybe 240sx rims)). You could get better grip and end up with more options.
I know 1st gen RX7's came with a 4 bolt, not sure if there 15's or not, it might fit your car

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

QuoteHave you thought of stepping up to a bigger rim(there has to be some 15" 4 bolt nissan rims that will work(maybe 240sx rims)). You could get better grip and end up with more options.
They're too expensive.

The only 15x6 Z car rim that I like weighs 22 lbs (vs. 14 lbs.) and I'd have to get it shipped from somewhere else.

FlatBlackCaddy

4 bolt patterns(on japanese cars) are very similar, i think there are maybe 3-4 overall patterns. The only other thing to worry about is offset. Sticking with a nissan rim(lots of parts are interchangable on nissans) would probobly be your best bet.

FlatBlackCaddy

They're too expensive.

The only 15x6 Z car rim that I like weighs 22 lbs (vs. 14 lbs.) and I'd have to get it shipped from somewhere else.
Are you just limiting yourself to Z rims?

Raghavan

280Z Turbo

They're too expensive.

Are you just limiting yourself to Z rims?
I have to! They have to be 0 offset rims.

Believe me, there's not many rims for Zs.

FlatBlackCaddy

I didn't know the offset, i just figured that some 90's 15" nissan rims would interchange.

280Z Turbo

QuoteI didn't know the offset, i just figured that some 90's 15" nissan rims would interchange.
They don't.

FlatBlackCaddy

sounds like your stuck then, as for the tire choice i have no experience with either

Raghavan

280Z Turbo

Come to think of it, 14x7 Supra rims will fit.

footoflead

how wide are your current rims?

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

14x5.5...upgrading to 14x6

Raghavan

So it's where the wheel nuts are postioned in relation to the center of the wheel?

Champ

So it's where the wheel nuts are postioned in relation to the center of the wheel?
yes, where the wheel mates to the hub.

Raza

As far as tires are concerned, I love my Potenzas.  Almost as much fun as my Pilots, but less than half the price.  And better in the rain.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

I can't get Potenzas in my size. Like I said, rain traction doesn't matter to me.

The Avid S/Ts sound pretty good, but has anyone had any experience with them? $50 a pop is dang good for a performance tire.

MX793

QuoteI can't get Potenzas in my size. Like I said, rain traction doesn't matter to me.

The Avid S/Ts sound pretty good, but has anyone had any experience with them? $50 a pop is dang good for a performance tire.
If they're anything like the Avid T4, they should work pretty good.  I was happy with mine (which I also got for $50 a piece a couple of years ago in size 195/60R15).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

I'm looking at these instead:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...re1=yes&place=3

The Yokohama Avid S/Ts are cheap, but they don't sound very good. They're more of a truck tire, and I don't want my Z to handle like a truck! The reason it scored such high marks, was probably that the bar is not set very high for a truck tire for performance.

The Avid T4s sounds like a much better car tire and they look nicer to boot!

What do you guys think?

Raghavan

I'd go for something a bit more expensive if your going Auto-Xing.

280Z Turbo

I can't. They don't have my size. Not like I can really afford more than $57 a tire anyway.

Raghavan

QuoteI can't. They don't have my size. Not like I can really afford more than $57 a tire anyway.
Why not just get bigger rims?

280Z Turbo

QuoteI can't. They don't have my size. Not like I can really afford more than $57 a tire anyway.
Why not just get bigger rims?
What rims? With what money? Like I said, I'm sticking with these rims.