SVT Focus replacement

Started by SVT666, December 06, 2010, 10:03:19 PM

Don't get excited, I'm not replacing it yet.  But I've been looking at all the cars available on the market right now that I could replace my SVT Focus with in about 2 or 3 years.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP (6.3L V8, 415 hp)
7 (36.8%)
2009 Infiniti G37 Sport (3.7L V6, 325 hp)
7 (36.8%)
2008 BMW 550i (4.8L V8, 360 hp)
2 (10.5%)
2008 or 2009 BMW 535i (3.0L TT, 300 hp)
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

SVT666

2o6

SVT666

I mentioned a Mustang to my wife the other night and she nearly flipped out.  She made some good points.  Even I had to concede that she was right.  My son is only 2 and a half and is already 3'3" tall (growth charts say 6'5" as an adult) and my daughter is 3'10" tall and she's only 5 (growth charts say 6'0" as an adult).  The back seat of my Focus is bigger than a Mustang's and they will probably be screaming for more room in a couple years in the Focus.

A Mustang likely will not make it into my garage for awhile unless I come into some money.  These cars are worthy replacements.  I already know my order of preference, but I wanted to see what you guys say.

The Pirate

Hmm, I do love the G8.  But I've a feeling that it's going to be very tough to get parts for that car in a few years.  AFAIK, it and the GTO (and maybe the Catera) were the only cars on that platform sold here, so stuff is not readily available and can be pricey.  That would be worth looking into.

You looking for automatic or manual?

Having not driven any of those cars, I'd probably go for one of the BMWs if the parts situation on the G8 wasn't to my liking.  Certainly more room for kids and kid stuff in the 5er, and I love me a V8 noise...

BTW, both of the Bimmer pics show a 5-series.

I'll put my vote down for the G8 for now.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Onslaught

Well I'm a fan of the G37 sport. I was really looking hard at one when buying a new car last year.

2o6

Quote from: The Pirate on December 06, 2010, 10:20:43 PM
Hmm, I do love the G8.  But I've a feeling that it's going to be very tough to get parts for that car in a few years.  AFAIK, it and the GTO (and maybe the Catera) were the only cars on that platform sold here, so stuff is not readily available and can be pricey.  That would be worth looking into.

Camaro.

The Pirate

Quote from: 2o6 on December 06, 2010, 10:29:17 PM
Camaro.

No shit?!

Well, it's GM.  They'll cancel the Camaro in a year or so.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

2o6

Quote from: The Pirate on December 06, 2010, 10:35:04 PM
No shit?!

Well, it's GM.  They'll cancel the Camaro in a year or so.

It's huge reason why it has such a large weight problem; making a platform meant for large sedans into one for small-ish coupes will come with some compromises.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Having not driven any of those cars, I'd probably go for one of the BMWs if the parts situation on the G8 wasn't to my liking.  Certainly more room for kids and kid stuff in the 5er, and I love me a V8 noise...

Sorry.  That was supposed to read 535i not 335i.

Xer0

I would go with either the G37 or the 535.  Good luck finding a GXP pretty much anywhere and I don't think the 550 has anything on the 535 while costing and drinking far more.  Maybe also look into a similar vintage CTS and a newer Charger?

CJ

I would go with the 550i, truth be told.  I love the sound of the V8.

the Teuton

The Bimmer is going to be expensive as fuck to maintain. I'd go with the Infiniti followed by the Pontiac if it isn't in a sky high collectible price bracket.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on December 06, 2010, 11:55:58 PM
The Bimmer is going to be expensive as fuck to maintain. I'd go with the Infiniti followed by the Pontiac if it isn't in a sky high collectible price bracket.
Explain to me why it would be so expensive to maintain.

Submariner

Quote from: SVT666 on December 07, 2010, 12:34:09 AM

It's a BMW.

If it's out of warranty, watch out. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

Quote from: SVT666 on December 07, 2010, 12:34:09 AM

Labor at the dealer is around $100/hr. They have chips in the keys for keeping service records. You can't change your own goddamn oil...it has enough electronics to go wrong in it, especially with a second gen iDrive...or first gen, recently recalled turbo engine...Dave's is relatively technology-less with the NA I6 and RWD and the non-upgraded iDrive. Anything else will be older technology by the time you get it, relatively speaking, and technology rarely ages well. I guess a $1,300 iDrive replacement just sticks out in my head from work. Or power steering failures...well, those are the two biggest problems I remember.

...It's a disaster waiting to happen without a warranty or proper service background.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

I voted G37 before reading your post about the kids' heights. I think you'll be in a position to appreciate the plus-size room of the G8 over the decidedly compact G37 and snug-midsize 5-Series.

r0tor

Quote from: the Teuton on December 06, 2010, 11:55:58 PM

$1k to replace the alternate in a friends M3 (e46)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

G8 or G37. 

Consumer reports gives it excellent reliability ratings.  :lol:    (G37)
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

omicron

'

Parts for the G8 shouldn't be an issue - the VE Commodore is easily the most popular vehicle sold in Australia (and will be supported through the factory for many, many years into the future); powertrain components are common to both here and the US; and practically every dealership in the country can access the full range of Holden parts. eBay is your friend, my child.

GoCougs

I think you'd find a GXP likely too harsh for an everyday family hauler.

As alternatives (RWD, V8, American) I'd suggest the G8 GT, 300C or Charger. Even SHO in 2-3 years will be pretty cheap.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on December 07, 2010, 07:42:52 AM
I think you'd find a GXP likely too harsh for an everyday family hauler.

As alternatives (RWD, V8, American) I'd suggest the G8 GT, 300C or Charger. Even SHO in 2-3 years will be pretty cheap.
My Focus is pretty tight.  I even have a solid engine mount in it that produces a lot more vibrations.  I'm not worried about a car being too harsh.  The G8 GT I drove was pretty smooth and I can't see the GXP being any harsher than my Focus.  The G8 GT will only be considered in place of the GXP if the prices of the GXP are too high due to their small numbers.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on December 07, 2010, 12:46:26 AM
Labor at the dealer is around $100/hr. They have chips in the keys for keeping service records. You can't change your own goddamn oil...it has enough electronics to go wrong in it, especially with a second gen iDrive...or first gen, recently recalled turbo engine...Dave's is relatively technology-less with the NA I6 and RWD and the non-upgraded iDrive. Anything else will be older technology by the time you get it, relatively speaking, and technology rarely ages well. I guess a $1,300 iDrive replacement just sticks out in my head from work. Or power steering failures...well, those are the two biggest problems I remember.

...It's a disaster waiting to happen without a warranty or proper service background.
Labour at the Ford dealer is $105 an hour, so I don't see the problem there.  The oil thing does bother me but Bimmers only get oil changes every 15,000 miles which is roughly 1 a year.  How much does an oil change cost?  How common is an iDrive failure, or power steering failure?  Sure they might be the most common things to go wrong, but how often does it really happen?  The way you talk about it, you would think that BMWs are the most failure prone vehicles on the market and that the car will always be in the shop. 

GoCougs

I agree - buying an out-of-warranty 5-series, especially a turbo model or loaded-up V8, is a recipe for financial disaster.

sportyaccordy

What are the parameters of usage? Is this a daily driver?

Of the choices... I'd go G37 or G8. Of all the options out there, based on what you chose, I'd consider an LGT manual (BOOST!!!) as well.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 07, 2010, 09:56:59 AM
What are the parameters of usage? Is this a daily driver?

Of the choices... I'd go G37 or G8. Of all the options out there, based on what you chose, I'd consider an LGT manual (BOOST!!!) as well.
My preferences are (in order):

1. RWD
2. 4 door
3. Room for tall children
4. V8

Raza

Unfortunately, the G8 fits your criteria best.  But I'd hesitate to buy a car with that flimsy an interior from a company that doesn't exist anymore. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

All nice cars.

I've seen quite a number of G8s in my town since GM was giving early retirement packages to older employees that included a huge car purchase bonus (up to $30+).  A few bought pick-ups, a few bought Cadillacs and a whole bunch of them bought G8s.  Although I'm a Ford guy I really like them as there is something about them that is eye-catching.  They have a real nice stance compared to most GMs and are basically a good handling hotrod.  A few of the golf members own them and I've asked how they liked them.  They all say they love them.  I'd go with that.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=23762.msg1437231#msg1437231 date=1291742363
Unfortunately, the G8 fits your criteria best.  But I'd hesitate to buy a car with that flimsy an interior from a company that doesn't exist anymore. 
I'm not worried about parts since it uses the same powertrain as every other V8 GM car.  The interior is crap though.