Hit and Run

Started by Laconian, January 06, 2011, 12:17:51 PM

Laconian

Some asshole in a big black pickup truck decided to change lanes on a whim without hitting his signals or checking his blindspot. He pushed the Miata halfway out of its lane, which destabilized the car and caused it to hit a barrier and spin.

Don't know if its salvageable or a total loss. What a waste of a low mileage NA.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Wow.

It's not smiling anymore. It actually looks like it is frowning.  :confused:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

No!  Wait, is that your car??

Laconian

Raza

Shitty.  Look on the bright side.  Now you can buy a better car than your overrated MX-5.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Over New Year's some guy slid on the ice and slammed into my dad's office building, taking out the door and destabilizing a wall. Dude took off too. Luckily someone got a plate and description of the driver. LEOs got him within a day; no insurance, no license. He was in the poky for two days and has been charged with a crime. Hopefully same happens in your situation.

sportyaccordy

Ah no dice on a plate? That blows man I'm sorry.

Secret Chimp

Jiminy Christmas. Let me know if they want to total it, I can help get some valuable parts like the differential and halfshafts out, those are worth the $$$ to a point that might exceed the insurance check all together.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Cookie Monster

Holy fuck!

I'm sorry for your loss, dude. And it had to happen to such a clean car.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT_Power

Quote from: Laconian on January 06, 2011, 12:40:04 PM
The green car? Yes.

I'm so confused. Am I turning colorblind?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Colonel Cadillac

CALL_911

Shit, man. That SUCKS. I really hope that fucker gets nailed.

Could this be time to upgrade to an S2000 or a used 986/7? :winkguy:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

:(

On the bright side, you could get a more comfortable car for your back now...like a Honda S2000.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FoMoJo

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 06, 2011, 02:43:16 PM
I'm so confused. Am I turning colorblind?
The only green I see is what appears to be a garbage bin in the background :huh:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ifcar

Were you the one driving it at the time? Are you or whoever was driving all right?

I assume you're working with police to try and track down that other driver?

Laconian

My boyfriend was driving it on his way to work. He thinks he is OK for now but feels a few points of soreness on his back. He's going to get it checked out.

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 06, 2011, 02:54:00 PM
The only green I see is what appears to be a garbage bin in the background :huh:.

Well it's a mica paint so it really depends on what angle you're looking at it.

What sucks is that, if this is totalled, this is a bad time for me to buy a new car. I would much prefer a sports car but my back won't allow me to test drive them for the time being. I'm thinking that it might be more prudent to purchase the successor to the Accord now (probably a small SUV) and then sell the Accord for a fun car once my back has recovered.

FoMoJo

Well, I hope he's okay.  Must've been a frightening situation.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

280Z Turbo

:(

Sell it to me for $500 and I'll turn it into a Spec Miata.  :evildude:

Onslaught

That sucks. I hate to hear about this. And I hate to tell you that she's dead too. That age and the cost of parts on an MX-5 will kill her.
But in the end if your ok that's all that really important.

Hate seeing an NA get smashed up however. One of the greatest cars ever made. Suck it Raza ;)

280Z Turbo

From what I see, it's far from dead, it may just not be economically viable for the insurance company.

For a Spec Miata guy, that damage would just be a bad day. He'd likely have it on grid for the race the next day.

Onslaught

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 06, 2011, 04:01:32 PM
From what I see, it's far from dead, it may just not be economically viable for the insurance company.

For a Spec Miata guy, that damage would just be a bad day. He'd likely have it on grid for the race the next day.
Could you fix it? Yes.  I fixed hundreds of the things much worse then that. But that was 10-15 years ago.
It's a total now for a road car unless you had the parts to fix it. Strange thing is I have most of the ones he needs.

Needs a hood, right fender and I can'r see the left one from this. The front end could be around and the aprons and rad sup could be smashed in. Not to mention the bumper, reinf, lights and who knows what under all that. Can't tell from the pics. And then you have the ass end stuff. Fact is a car that age with that much fucked up is a total.

Now spec Miata isn't what I'm talking about. Those cars are smashed up cars most of the time.

93JC

:cry:

What is it with hit-and-runs lately? I saw this one unfold across the street from my office. Well, that is to say I heard the screech and the bang. I didn't realize he'd hit a pedestrian. I did see one of the "good samaritans" run down the alley after the driver and passenger though.

thewizard16

Sorry to hear about that. Hit-and-runners deserve a special place in hell.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 06, 2011, 03:33:45 PM
Well, I hope he's okay.  Must've been a frightening situation.

+1

I used to get almost runned-over all the time when I drove a CRX. (one short year- 2005.)
Those small cars would really scare me in an all-out crash too.

I kinda want a Miata next year..... 
Will

Laconian

I'm not sure, would this have been avoided with a midsize sedan? I'm not so sure. The Accord is bigger than the Miata, but it's still a lot smaller than the fucking bloated dinosaurs that so many people drive.

Rupert

Savages is right. Damn. That was a great car.

Wanna buy an MG? :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Payman

Great time to build a Lotus Seven replica out of her.  :ohyeah:

... and I hope truck boy gets his cumuppance.

Mustangfan2003

Sorry about your car dude.  My car has been a victim of a hit and run also but it was in a parking lot while it was parked.  I had no idea it had happened to my car till I got home and my parents noticed it.  That was pretty hard to explain.