Do you like the new Chevy Impala?

Started by BMWDave, May 13, 2005, 12:57:20 PM

BMWDave

Do you like the new Chevrolet Impala?  Do you think its a step forwards or back?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

looks kind of like a Malibu from the back.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

You, my friend, are a posting machine.   :praise:

I don't like the new Impala. It is a step up in interior quality, but the exterior just looks straight-up bland.  Even the Malibu SS has significantly more snarl to it.  You posted a pic of the LTZ, I believe, and I see little or no difference, (other than maybe chrome exhaust tips) between this and the SS model. This car should look edgier than it does.  That being said, I believe it will be a solid performer.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteYou, my friend, are a posting machine.   :praise:

I don't like the new Impala. It is a step up in interior quality, but the exterior just looks straight-up bland.  Even the Malibu SS has significantly more snarl to it.  You posted a pic of the LTZ, I believe, and I see little or no difference, (other than maybe chrome exhaust tips) between this and the SS model. This car should look edgier than it does.  That being said, I believe it will be a solid performer.
I am just trying to get the forums busy :)  

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

No. Styling is bland, and most importantly, V8 + FWD = bad idea.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

QuoteNo. Styling is bland, and most importantly, V8 + FWD = bad idea.
They styling is horrendous IMO.  Too bland and bloated while trying to look sporty.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

QuoteNo. Styling is bland, and most importantly, V8 + FWD = bad idea.
They styling is horrendous IMO.  Too bland and bloated while trying to look sporty.
Well styling is not what I hate the most. I hate the whole FWD "SS" thing. GM should have strrrrreeeeeeched out the GTO, made it a four door, and detuned the engine. That would have been MUCH better.  

Catman

I agree with everyone's comments.  Not bad but definately not good.  Not the effort you need when you're in a hole trying to scrape your way out.  Anyone disagree?

ifcar

QuoteYou, my friend, are a posting machine.   :praise:

I don't like the new Impala. It is a step up in interior quality, but the exterior just looks straight-up bland.  Even the Malibu SS has significantly more snarl to it.  You posted a pic of the LTZ, I believe, and I see little or no difference, (other than maybe chrome exhaust tips) between this and the SS model. This car should look edgier than it does.  That being said, I believe it will be a solid performer.
Somebody has to do it, and better you than me.  :P

Anyway, the new Impala's styling has grown on me, but only from bloated and ugly to bland. The rear looks nice enough, and the interior is a welcome improvement, but the front end of the 00-05 is more agressive.

BMWDave

QuoteYou, my friend, are a posting machine.?  :praise:

I don't like the new Impala. It is a step up in interior quality, but the exterior just looks straight-up bland.? Even the Malibu SS has significantly more snarl to it.? You posted a pic of the LTZ, I believe, and I see little or no difference, (other than maybe chrome exhaust tips) between this and the SS model. This car should look edgier than it does.? That being said, I believe it will be a solid performer.
Somebody has to do it, and better you than me.  :P

Anyway, the new Impala's styling has grown on me, but only from bloated and ugly to bland. The rear looks nice enough, and the interior is a welcome improvement, but the front end of the 00-05 is more agressive.
I personally like the old one much better.  The interior is nicer though.

2007 Honda S2000

TurboDan

Are they making a police version of this one?

Tom

Dammit, bring back RWD, General Motors.  They can equipt it with trac control, stabiltity control, or whatever else will make people feel better about driving it in the snow.  But please, power the proper wheels for a 3800lb 8cyl machine!  I don't mind the over-assisted steering and bouncy ride but torque steer, uninspiring steering feedback, and understeer are big no-no's.

mazda6er

QuoteAre they making a police version of this one?
I doubt it. Criminals would laugh.   :ph34r:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Fire It Up

Criminals would get away. The scenario would be like this:
1. Car goes flying down road way above speed limit
2. Cop in Impala SS cop car sees it
3. Cop accelerates onto road but spins his front wheels due to them not being able to handle the V8
4. Speeder get away

So if the Impala SS will be the new cop car, speeding can become a daily sport!  :P  

Tom

3. Cop accelerates onto road but spins his front wheels due to them not being able to handle the V8
4. Speeder get away

So if the Impala SS will be the new cop car, speeding can become a daily sport!  :P
5.  After pushing in the gas, the car steers itself into a ditch on the side of the road.

Catman

4. Speeder get away

5.  After pushing in the gas, the car steers itself into a ditch on the side of the road.
Thats what I was thinking. :D  

mazda6er

Catman would you want to drive on of those?

You use a Crown Vic now, right?
--Mark

giant_mtb

In response to the original question...yes and no.  The front end styling is similar to the new Monte Carlo's too...it almost looks "cute".  Ya know what I mean?  Too bland, bloated, and "cute".  :rolleyes:  

Fire It Up

OK, I was reading an old article for the SS Monte Carlo. I quote: "And Chevy?s engineers have done a commendable job of quelling the torque-steer issue." So I think that may not be an issue with this Impala. And then the V8 is lighter than the S/C V6. So that makes the Impala better...but not as awesome as the 300C. And it would still make speeding a daily sport. :lol:

Fire It Up

Oh, and its interior looks pretty good.  

TBR

Much like the Ford Five Hundred, this isn't an exciting car, but, newsflash, it wasn't meant to be one. Right now they are trying to win back the typical mainstream market, you know the people buying Camrys and Accord, not the novelty market as Chrysler/Dodge did with the 300/Magnum (fine cars in their own right that have done wonders for the image of Chrysler and Dodge, but they don't have mainstream appeal that draws hundreds of thousands of sales). In short, I like this car. It is a definite improvement over the previous car and it will be interesting to see how good of a job of eliminating torquesteer in the SS model they did (I don't think it will be a problem, as it wasn't a problem in the only slightly less powerful Bonneville GXP).

280Z Turbo

I think it looks pretty nice. It's an upgrade IMO.

I don't see what's so bad about the styling. Boring styling sells midsize cars. Perhaps people are more apt to bash GM styling.

ifcar

QuoteMuch like the Ford Five Hundred, this isn't an exciting car, but, newsflash, it wasn't meant to be one. Right now they are trying to win back the typical mainstream market, you know the people buying Camrys and Accord, not the novelty market as Chrysler/Dodge did with the 300/Magnum (fine cars in their own right that have done wonders for the image of Chrysler and Dodge, but they don't have mainstream appeal that draws hundreds of thousands of sales). In short, I like this car. It is a definite improvement over the previous car and it will be interesting to see how good of a job of eliminating torquesteer in the SS model they did (I don't think it will be a problem, as it wasn't a problem in the only slightly less powerful Bonneville GXP).
However, I doubt this will be as impressive of a car as the Five Hundred. I'll try to keep an open mind until I get to drive it though.  

Lorinser

The interior is a big improvement, but the exterior is typical of this segment(read:boring).

TBR

QuoteMuch like the Ford Five Hundred, this isn't an exciting car, but, newsflash, it wasn't meant to be one. Right now they are trying to win back the typical mainstream market, you know the people buying Camrys and Accord, not the novelty market as Chrysler/Dodge did with the 300/Magnum (fine cars in their own right that have done wonders for the image of Chrysler and Dodge, but they don't have mainstream appeal that draws hundreds of thousands of sales). In short, I like this car. It is a definite improvement over the previous car and it will be interesting to see how good of a job of eliminating torquesteer in the SS model they did (I don't think it will be a problem, as it wasn't a problem in the only slightly less powerful Bonneville GXP).
However, I doubt this will be as impressive of a car as the Five Hundred. I'll try to keep an open mind until I get to drive it though.
I think you will probably be correct on that one, as GM really doesn't have the resources that Ford had when they developed the Five Hundred.

Catman

Here's what I don't get.  If the Malibu is supposed to be the bland mainstream sedan than why bother with the Impala unless it's going to be something special.  Either you have one vanilla car and one exciting one or get rid of one of them.  Chevy doesn't need two boring cars that are about the same size.

ifcar

QuoteHere's what I don't get.  If the Malibu is supposed to be the bland mainstream sedan than why bother with the Impala unless it's going to be something special.  Either you have one vanilla car and one exciting one or get rid of one of them.  Chevy doesn't need two boring cars that are about the same size.
They're both selling exceptionally well. The Impala is just for people who want a larger car than the Malibu.

Catman

ifcar

QuoteIs it that much bigger?
The Malibu is Fusion-sized, the Impala is Five Hundred-sized.  

mazda6er

The previous gen Impala was deceptively large, like 209" or something. The Malibu is more in the mid-180" range, so yeah, it's fairly significant.
--Mark