The "How Fast Did You Drive Today" Thread

Started by cawimmer430, February 21, 2011, 09:32:53 AM

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 30, 2013, 07:47:08 PM
Thing about speeding in a car like yours (the 530i) is that 100 mph feels like nothing. The fun of speed is in the resultant "excitement." In my dad's car, 100 mph feels like nothing, so it's not really much fun. Same thing in my car.

It feels like something to me.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on March 30, 2013, 07:39:12 PM
I cruised through Oregon at 70-75 in a 55 yesterday. Top speed was something like 86, but I was in the Explorer so that's plenty fast.

You're a maniac, man.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: dazzleman on March 30, 2013, 07:57:51 PM
I love it!

I got away in a similar way once.  I was doing about 15 mph over the speed limit (40 mph) on a semi-parkway.  I spotted a cop and he started coming after me.  We went around a curve and briefly lost sight of each other.  There was suddenly a traffic light and I made a snap decision to turn left.  I lost myself in the residential streets for a bit and got back on the parkway further up.  It was fun ditching that cop.

Nice. I agree that the thrill of getting away makes it more fun. Within reason of course. I also once witnessed an "escape" that didn't turn out too well for the perp. I was driving back from Acapulco and had just passed the last toll booth very near MC. This was about 20 years ago, I was driving my dad's Dodge Shadow convertible (with a MOPAR turbo 4 that I think was only sold here) and I noticed a Mercury Cougar (XR7 - with the supercharged engine) that had been stopped by a cop. As I was driving by the cop was outside the patrol car and walking towards the Cougar. And this guy decides to gun it. With his family on board. I see all this on my rearview mirror and I see the Cougar approaching very fast. I swerved to the right to let him - and the closely following cop - pass. No more than 2 miles ahed the highway enters the city - and traffic lights. Long story short when I got there:

His tires had been blown away.
There were about 5 cop cars that came out of the federal base nearby.
The trunk of the Cougar was open.
Family inside crying and panicked.
Nearby house surrounded by very pissed cops pointing guns.

My guess is that this guy had drugs - or worse - in the car and just panicked.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

dazzleman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 30, 2013, 08:05:47 PM
Nice. I agree that the thrill of getting away makes it more fun. Within reason of course. I also once witnessed an "escape" that didn't turn out too well for the perp. I was driving back from Acapulco and had just passed the last toll booth very near MC. This was about 20 years ago, I was driving my dad's Dodge Shadow convertible (with a MOPAR turbo 4 that I think was only sold here) and I noticed a Mercury Cougar (XR7 - with the supercharged engine) that had been stopped by a cop. As I was driving by the cop was outside the patrol car and walking towards the Cougar. And this guy decides to gun it. With his family on board. I see all this on my rearview mirror and I see the Cougar approaching very fast. I swerved to the right to let him - and the closely following cop - pass. No more than 2 miles ahed the highway enters the city - and traffic lights. Long story short when I got there:

His tires had been blown away.
There were about 5 cop cars that came out of the federal base nearby.
The trunk of the Cougar was open.
Family inside crying and panicked.
Nearby house surrounded by very pissed cops pointing guns.

My guess is that this guy had drugs - or worse - in the car and just panicked.

I was about 24 when I ditched that cop.  I doubt I would do it now.  Still, I might.  In that type of situation, you have to make a quick cost/benefit calculation.  Is what you're trying to avoid (a ticket) worth the risk of something worse if attempting to ditch the cop leads to greater trouble?  Usually not, unless the odds of being successful are very high.  I would only try to ditch a cop if I had deniability about what I was doing -- being able to claim that I didn't realize he was after me.

I'm generally not the type of dude to ditch a cop.  I'm more of a fess-up-and-take-my-punishment (while all the while planning to do it again) type of guy.

In the case of the dude in the Cougar, I think it's a safe bet he was worried about something worse than a traffic ticket.  Taking off after you've already pulled over is a really dumb move.

Still, even at my age, I find the idea of breaking the rules fun.  I thought I'd outgrow it but I haven't.  I never imagined when I was younger that I'd still like it at this age.  I'm in the sweet spot where I don't have to worry about the penalties of getting caught for the routine shit I like to do, so I get the upside without a corresponding downside.

Speeding is really my only legal vice.  I don't even litter.  I used to like blowing through tollbooths without paying when I was younger, but now I rarely encounter a toll booth.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Ah, summer tires.  :praise:

If only this Autobahn didn't have annoying speed limits...

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

dazzleman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 25, 2013, 01:20:36 PM
Ah, summer tires.  :praise:

If only this Autobahn didn't have annoying speed limits...

WTF Wimmer...you follow speed limits?????!!!!!  What is the speed limit on that part of the autobahn?

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on March 30, 2013, 07:58:42 PM
It feels like something to me.

He's got a point.  Those big, heavy luxury cars dull the sensation of speed.  I was driving my mom's CLS550, doing 100mph without even noticing and my mom and brother both fell asleep.  That's how comfortable and smooth these cars are, even at triple digits. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Last night I some friends unexpectedlu came down to visit and I was about 3 hours away. So I said "fuck it" and decided to book it. Whole way east was done at 85-90 mph, with a few 100+ bursts thrown in. Fastest I went was 115 mph.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 28, 2013, 07:48:44 AM
Last night I some friends unexpectedlu came down to visit and I was about 3 hours away. So I said "fuck it" and decided to book it. Whole way east was done at 85-90 mph, with a few 100+ bursts thrown in. Fastest I went was 115 mph.

Your resolve to stop speeding for a while didn't last long.  :evildude:

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 21, 2013, 12:35:48 PM
Fuck speeding. I've been driving like a grandmother lately- I absolutely cannot afford another ticket anytime soon.

CALL_911

haha I know, that's why I figured I'd mention it here

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on April 28, 2013, 06:45:34 AM
WTF Wimmer...you follow speed limits?????!!!!!  What is the speed limit on that part of the autobahn?

There are so many annoying Autobahns here where there will be brief stretches of 120 km/h speed limits. So I'll have to slow down from 200+ km/h to 120 km/h. It's lame and annoying but the law is the law. I usually do 10 km/h over the limit anyway.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

dazzleman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 29, 2013, 04:51:45 AM
There are so many annoying Autobahns here where there will be brief stretches of 120 km/h speed limits. So I'll have to slow down from 200+ km/h to 120 km/h. It's lame and annoying but the law is the law. I usually do 10 km/h over the limit anyway.

Just keep going at 200 km/hr....what's the worst that can happen?  :lockedup:

hotrodalex

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

afty

I hit 115 the other day... in a 911 Turbo.  :)

You can hit the gas at 50 in that car, and in a blink you're at triple digit speeds. It's crazy fast.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: afty on May 03, 2013, 12:32:16 PM
I hit 115 the other day... in a 911 Turbo.  :)

You can hit the gas at 50 in that car, and in a blink you're at triple digit speeds. It's crazy fast.

Nice! I drove a 993 turbo many years ago and it was stupid fast. Then rode in a 996 turbo as well.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

afty

This was a 997 convertible model with the Tiptronic (torque-converter auto).  I did an "Exotic Car Tour" earlier this week and got to drive the Porsche, a Gallardo, a GT-R, an Elise, an Audi R8, and a Maserati GranTurismo.  I'll do a full writeup later, but the Lambo, GT-R, and 911 Turbo were all silly fast.  The GT-R in particular was brutal.

dazzleman

My top speed today was between 85 and 90 mph.  I got busted going 79 mph in a 55 mph zone.  :pullover:

MexicoCityM3

240 kph near Toluca, Mexico in the 1M. Didn't take pics.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

dazzleman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 27, 2013, 07:10:40 PM
240 kph near Toluca, Mexico in the 1M. Didn't take pics.

Pretty impressive, dude...I like it!

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

dazzleman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 27, 2013, 07:20:24 PM
Today? That sucks!

Yes, at 11:48 this morning, according to the ticket.  Trooper was super nice though, and only wrote me up for 65 mph.  I must have made a positive impression on him somehow.

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on May 27, 2013, 07:25:01 PM
Yes, at 11:48 this morning, according to the ticket.  Trooper was super nice though, and only wrote me up for 65 mph.  I must have made a positive impression on him somehow.

He probably made a mistake and wrote your age where your speed is supposed to go.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on May 27, 2013, 07:47:31 PM
He probably made a mistake and wrote your age where your speed is supposed to go.

:lol:
Laugh all you want, but we'll see if you're pulling such impressive tickets when you're my age.... :devil:

dazzleman

S204STi

Quote from: dazzleman on May 27, 2013, 08:19:37 PM
You blew me away. and I'm the one who got a ticket!   :lol:

I saw zero le between Steamboat and Fort Collins. Amazing.