Who Will Be the Next To Get a Ticket?

Started by dazzleman, March 25, 2006, 05:28:01 PM

Tave

Close call. Got pulled over for speeding on my way back from out-of-county court (ironically, I was handling a bunch of speeding tickets) after I moved right to allow a group of faster cars to pass me, one of whom happened to be an unmarked patrolman. I think he singled me out because I still have out of state plates. He asked me where my residency was, and I explained I had recently established residency in NC and was in the process of getting my license and changing my registration. After that he asked what I do for work. I told him and he advised me to slow down and let me off with a verbal warning.

He seemed like a great guy. I guess that means if I lived in Florida my next move would be to try and get him fired.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CALL_911

Last summer, I had a cop do something like that. I was driving late at night (like midnight) with all my shit in the back, as I was moving back to school for a job in a laboratory. I also told him that I had to make an 8am meeting and get into my apartment. Dude was very cool about it. 83/65

On the same exact road, last week, got nailed doing 82/65. That guy wasn't quite so nice (he nailed two cars in one go).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT_Power

Well I went quite a while without a speeding ticket, my luck ran out on the way to Dave's tonight...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 05, 2013, 01:27:19 AM
Well I went quite a while without a speeding ticket, my luck ran out on the way to Dave's tonight...

I don't know why I let such a miscreant stay in my house.  What the hell was I thinking?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on April 05, 2013, 06:25:27 AM
I don't know why I let such a miscreant stay in my house.  What the hell was I thinking?

You're just getting senile
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CALL_911

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 05, 2013, 01:27:19 AM

Did you get nailed on Rt. 17?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

I've been pulled over twice in the US for speeding and got warnings (including when I was driving my SVT Focus back from Cali when I bought it).  I thought it was because they have no way of collecting after I go back to Canada. 

CALL_911

Quote from: SVT666 on April 05, 2013, 09:49:26 AM
I've been pulled over twice in the US for speeding and got warnings (including when I was driving my SVT Focus back from Cali when I bought it).  I thought it was because they have no way of collecting after I go back to Canada.

Some states have reciprocity. I'm pretty sure if you're an NYS driver and get stopped in Ontario, the points transfer, and they have a way of collecting.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 05, 2013, 09:54:27 AM
Some states have reciprocity. I'm pretty sure if you're an NYS driver and get stopped in Ontario, the points transfer, and they have a way of collecting.
I highly doubt that.  It rarely happens between provinces, let alone countries.  I had 3 speeding tickets in Alberta while I was visiting and not a single one of them show up on my BC license and our provinces are neighbours.

hotrodalex

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 05, 2013, 10:15:09 AM
Wish it was like that here.
Dude, I can't even remember all the tickets I've got between two provinces.  Something in the vicinity of 11 with another 12 or so warnings in 20 years of driving.  I haven't been stopped in 3 years now . Luckily, tickets don't count against my insurance in BC.

bing_oh

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 05, 2013, 09:54:27 AMSome states have reciprocity. I'm pretty sure if you're an NYS driver and get stopped in Ontario, the points transfer, and they have a way of collecting.

Nope, the Interstate Compact doesn't apply to other countries. Of course, he could be held until he posted bond for the ticket...we have that option for non-compact states so an out of country driver should probably be the same. Personally, I don't usually bother with Canuckistinians...too much hassle.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on April 05, 2013, 09:49:26 AM

Probably not. If you do not pay a traffic ticket in the US a warrant will be issued for your arrest. If/when you came back to the US pretty much any interaction with government - flying, getting pulled over, etc., - will run the risk of resulting in an arrest.

MaxPower

we get a lot of Canadians coming in to shop.  If they don't show for court then warrants to out and guess what...most come back to shop again! 

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Quote from: MaxPower on April 05, 2013, 03:14:46 PM
we get a lot of Canadians coming in to shop.  If they don't show for court then warrants to out and guess what...most come back to shop again!
:erjerbs:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 05, 2013, 09:43:30 AM
Did you get nailed on Rt. 17?

It was on Route 17.  I know so many people who have gotten nailed on that road.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

So I just realized Rt. 17 runs along the border between PA/NY. If it was on the PA side, I'd just be able to pay the ticket and not worry about jack all since it wouldn't show up in Ontario. Damn.

MaxPower

but there are no convenient routes on the PA side, right?

J86

Quote from: MaxPower on April 07, 2013, 06:53:24 AM
but there are no convenient routes on the PA side, right?

He could go 81-380-80.  I did that today, actually.

SVT_Power

Quote from: J86 on April 07, 2013, 05:56:10 PM
He could go 81-380-80.  I did that today, actually.

I've done that route when going to NJ before, but it doesn't make as much sense going to CT

J86

Ah, forgot you were headed there first.  Yeah, that wouldn't have made sense!

hotrodalex

Went hiking tonight and got a parking ticket. So lame. I don't know where the sign is that says no parking from 11pm-5am. Oh well. It's only $25 so I'll just pay it and get rid of it. At first I thought it said $75, in which case I would probably fight it and say that there isn't clear signage saying no parking at those times.

dazzleman

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 21, 2013, 02:50:03 AM
Went hiking tonight and got a parking ticket. So lame. I don't know where the sign is that says no parking from 11pm-5am. Oh well. It's only $25 so I'll just pay it and get rid of it. At first I thought it said $75, in which case I would probably fight it and say that there isn't clear signage saying no parking at those times.

Totally lame.  You're obviously not speeding enough these days If this is the best you've got.

CALL_911

Fuck speeding. I've been driving like a grandmother lately- I absolutely cannot afford another ticket anytime soon.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hotrodalex

I'm not sure if my 6 month probation is over yet, but I'm not gonna risk it. I have my fun with full throttle blasts at stoplights, but I get off the gas when I hit the speed limit (or 5 over).

CJ

I don't drive that fast, but I will get places swiftly.

CALL_911

Realistically, speeding's almost not worth it. Unless you're really sweating for minutes, you don't save that much time.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hotrodalex

Pretty much. Can save you a few minutes on the highway, but around town you gain almost nothing due to stop lights.