Consumer Guide review: 06 Grand Vitara

Started by ifcar, September 18, 2005, 12:12:46 PM

ifcar

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/New/rev...03/Act/Showall/

Overall: 6/10
"A big improvement over the outgoing model, Grand Vitara now challenges the best in this class. Power could be better, but a comprehensive list of standard safety features, competent road manners, and adequate passenger space make Grand Vitara a "must see" compact SUV."

Raghavan

Tom

Are you fo' real?

Suzuki used to have unique stying, but this is just another cookie-cutter small SUV.

Raza

Suzukis rule, man.  Get with it.

<_<  -_-  :mellow:  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

Are you fo' real?

Suzuki used to have unique stying, but this is just another cookie-cutter small SUV.
Cookie-cutter? It looks like a smooth-edged version of an early-'90s Sidekick.

The Grand Vitara is one of the few remaining compact/mid-size SUVs with a frame and selectable 4WD.

It's awesome! Suzuki's awesome!

mazda6er

Isn't this just a dressed-up Equinox? <_<
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Tom

Are you fo' real?

Cookie-cutter? It looks like a smooth-edged version of an early-'90s Sidekick.

The Grand Vitara is one of the few remaining compact/mid-size SUVs with a frame and selectable 4WD.

It's awesome! Suzuki's awesome!
Looks too much like a Rav4, Equinox, mini MDX and probably some others that aren't coming to mind.

ifcar

QuoteIsn't this just a dressed-up Equinox? <_<
Mechanically unrelated, actually. It still looks like a cross between an Equinox and an 05 RAV4, definitely well within the cookie-cutter realm.

It's far too wide to be a Sidekick, the proportions aren't cloes.  

93JC

Well fucking balls to all y'all naysayers!

thewizard16

It looks attractive enough, but I thought it looked like a Hyundai. Not sure why.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raghavan

You guys are a bunch of weenies, 'cept 93JC. this is the only small SUV with REAL 4wd, with poiwer going to the rear wheels. YOu pansies. :rolleyes:

ifcar

No, it's not. It's one of several. Xterra, Liberty, and Sorento are others.  

cozmik

Personally it reminds me of the Touareg. Or at least the headlights to.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Raza

QuoteYou guys are a bunch of weenies, 'cept 93JC. this is the only small SUV with REAL 4wd, with poiwer going to the rear wheels. YOu pansies. :rolleyes:
Yeah, but it doesn't have the offroad ability of the Toyota Corolla!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

I see no Touareg, but I do see some X3 in the lower front fascia.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

QuoteI see no Touareg, but I do see some X3 in the lower front fascia.
When we've got this many people "seeing" this many different styling cues in the vehicle, I'm inclined to say they didn't copy anyone at all, they just didn't style it to stick out.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raghavan

QuoteNo, it's not. It's one of several. Xterra, Liberty, and Sorento are others.
:rolleyes: those are expensiver, silly fool.

thewizard16

expensiver
:blink:     rokon.gif  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Raghavan

expensiver
:blink:     rokon.gif
:lol:  

93JC

QuoteXterra, Liberty, and Sorento are others.
Since when in the hell are these small?

ifcar

QuoteNo, it's not. It's one of several. Xterra, Liberty, and Sorento are others.
:rolleyes: those are expensiver, silly fool.
Base price comparison:

Liberty: $19,380
Sorento: $18,995
Xterra: $20,850
Grand Vitara: $18,999

They're all in the same general price area.

And, for 93JC, a size comparison, lengths (inches):

Liberty: 174
Sorento: 180
Xterra: 179
Grand Vitara: 177

They're all about the same size, too.  

93JC

Holy crap, it's that long?

This new one will seem huge compared to the old one.

(Cherokee is only 165" long :praise:)

Tom

I was looking at a Cherokee on the road today.  Nothing unusual, but I was thinking to myself how beautiful it is, in a classic, rugged, way.

93JC

:praise:

Tom

They don't make 'em like that anymore :(  :praise:  

mazda6er

QuoteThey don't make 'em like that anymore :(  :praise:
Check the Commander thread, I think you'll find that they do.  ;)  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raghavan

Tom

QuoteThey don't make 'em like that anymore :(  :praise:
Check the Commander thread, I think you'll find that they do.  ;)
Kinda fugly
Too expensive
Too big
100% auto
No FourPointOh Straight6

Imo

ifcar

QuoteHoly crap, it's that long?

This new one will seem huge compared to the old one.

(Cherokee is only 165" long :praise:)
Even a CR-V or Vue is over 180 inches. The old GV was just especially short for the current market, the RAV4 and the Element are the only other 05s under 170 inches (and they were still longer).