2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP Gets Turbocharged

Started by BMWDave, September 22, 2005, 05:10:51 PM

BMWDave

2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP Gets Turbocharged
By: Ed Hellwig

Date Posted 09-22-2005

Now that the 2006 Pontiac Solstice is finally trickling into dealerships across the country, engineers at Pontiac are focusing their energy on the next member of the Solstice family, the 2007 Solstice GXP.

Seen here making laps on the N?rburgring test track, the 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP should improve upon some of the standard model's sluggishness when pushed hard. The most significant upgrade will be the addition of a turbocharger to the standard 2.0-liter Ecotec four-cylinder. Aided by an auxiliary intercooler, the turbo system is expected to make as much as 250 horsepower.

In addition to the extra horsepower, the Solstice GXP is expected to get a six-speed manual transmission. This could make a big difference in the car's feel as the wide spacing of the standard model's five-speed transmission is one reason it feels so slow coming out of corners. We wouldn't mind seeing some throws to go with the new tranny.

One thing that doesn't appear to be changing is the size of the wheel and tire combination. No surprise there as the standard Solstice already has way more tire than it needs. A lighter set of wheels might have quickened up its reflexes, but it looks as though the prototype was using the same five-spoke setup you get on the current Solstice. Notable styling differences include an extra tailpipe out back, a small spoiler on the rear deck and a revised front fascia up front that includes a thin air intake to feed the turbo intercooler.

Look for the 2007 Solstice GXP to make its auto show debut early next year with sales beginning in the fall of 2006.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

Maybe this will be enough to take out the MX-5.  Unless there's a Mazdaspeed version coming.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

QuoteMaybe this will be enough to take out the MX-5.  Unless there's a Mazdaspeed version coming.
I'm sure there is.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Tom

Oh baby, this is gonna be sweet.  It even has a hood that opens the cool way.

Colonel Cadillac

I am not a huge fan of the spoiler, but to make the car better I fully agree with it.

Overall, I am very impressed and excited.  

Tom

QuoteI am not a huge fan of the spoiler, but to make the car better I fully agree with it.

Overall, I am very impressed and excited.
Watch what you say or the spoiler police will be on you.

Raghavan

280Z Turbo

Quotethe car is still fugly.
At least it looks good from the inside.

You can't see how ugly it is from inside! :lol:  

Raghavan

True, i really like the interior of this car.

SJ_GTI

QuoteIn addition to the extra horsepower, the Solstice GXP is expected to get a six-speed manual transmission.
I hope this is true. I really dig the Solstice, but honestly I don't think I would buy one given the whacky gearing on the basic 5-speed it comes with. At a minimum they need to revise the gear spacing on the five speed, even if it means lowering the top speed.

Raza

GM should have given it a 6 speed from the beginning.  What's next?  They dial back their state of the art 4 speeds to 3 speeds?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

QuoteGM should have given it a 6 speed from the beginning.  What's next?  They dial back their state of the art 4 speeds to 3 speeds?
To be fair there are not alot of cars under 20k that come with 6-speeds, and there are alot of cars over that amount that still use 5-speeds (aren't you supposedly a fan of the WRX...which uses a 5-speed?).

I think if they made an optional 6-speed for like and extra 1500 bucks or something that would have been a good idea.

Standard 5-speed manual
Optional 5-speed automatic
Optional 6-speed manual

Raza

I am a huge fan of the WRX, but that doesn't mean I don't curse Subaru for not using their 6 speed manual in that (especially now that it has the 2.5) and the Legacy.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

True, i really like the interior of this car.
I guess I'm in the minority, but I really dislike the interior of the Solstice. I think the outside is too cute, and the inside is too cheap looking, regardless of how it might feel.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

VetteZ06

Not a chance.

Raza

Not a chance.
:D

I'm with you.

:praise:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

I just can't see buying this over a Miata.  I know everyone's excited about it but look at the top it looks like they designed it as an afterthought.

mazda6er

QuoteI just can't see buying this over a Miata.  I know everyone's excited about it but look at the top it looks like they designed it as an afterthought.
If I had a Solstice, the top would only be up when it was parked anyway. Otherwise, why ruin the lines?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SJ_GTI

QuoteI just can't see buying this over a Miata.  I know everyone's excited about it but look at the top it looks like they designed it as an afterthought.
It was designed as an afterthought.

Of course, that's part of the reason it looks so amazing when the top is down. before the Solstice there was no other car that even could look like it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand there will always be people that don't like a car no matter how its styled, but you guys that keep mentioning that you don't think it looks like that great have to realize that to 95-98% of the population its probably the sexiest car currently in productin (other than certain exotic italian cars). Its not a mass hallucination that all these reviewers talk about getting looks and getting stopped whenever they are test driving it.

Catman

QuoteI just can't see buying this over a Miata.  I know everyone's excited about it but look at the top it looks like they designed it as an afterthought.
It was designed as an afterthought.

Of course, that's part of the reason it looks so amazing when the top is down. before the Solstice there was no other car that even could look like it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand there will always be people that don't like a car no matter how its styled, but you guys that keep mentioning that you don't think it looks like that great have to realize that to 95-98% of the population its probably the sexiest car currently in productin (other than certain exotic italian cars). Its not a mass hallucination that all these reviewers talk about getting looks and getting stopped whenever they are test driving it.
Don't get me wrong, it is a sexy car, very good looking.  However, if I'm laying out the cash I can't say it's a better package than the Miata.  The top is just an annoyance to me.

Raza

Looks good to me.

The biggest issue is getting out of the car to put it up or down.  Lame.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

Looks good to me.

The biggest issue is getting out of the car to put it up or down.  Lame.
That was one of the annoyances I noticed.  When I used a Miata in Maui I put the top up and down frequently because of rain.  It would have been aggravating having to get out to do it all the time.

My wife just told me to stop posting on that "stupid thing".  She says we're all gay. <_<  

mazda6er

QuoteMy wife just told me to stop posting on that "stupid thing".  She says we're all gay. <_<
Are you gonna take that? Pull rank on her!  rokon.gif  :lol:  
--Mark

Colonel Cadillac

Catman

QuoteMy wife just told me to stop posting on that "stupid thing".  She says we're all gay. <_<
I'm past caring what she thinks. ;)  

Catman

QuoteHow very un-PC of her.
Yeah, I wonder if she talks like that while she conducts her "diversity" training? :o  :lol:  

mazda6er

QuoteMy wife just told me to stop posting on that "stupid thing".? She says we're all gay. <_<
Damn, better not let her see that. I've found it useful to have a healthy fear of girls/women. They can be dangerous.
--Mark

Catman

QuoteMy wife just told me to stop posting on that "stupid thing".? She says we're all gay. <_<
Damn, better not let her see that. I've found it useful to have a healthy fear of girls/women. They can be dangerous.
Yes, my wife has a serious "evil" side. ;)  

Run Away

I am a lesbian....so I suppose she is partially correct.

mazda6er

QuoteI am a lesbian....so I suppose she is partially correct.
Dude, quit it with the lesbian schtick.  :rolleyes:  
--Mark