***2011 BMW 1M Photoshoot, Videos & Review - only from WIMMER!***

Started by cawimmer430, June 04, 2011, 05:13:18 PM

cawimmer430

Ok, so today I met up with a member from Germancarforum who was picking up his Valencia Orange a 2011 BMW 1M. The guy, who shall remain nameless, is a loyal American BMW owner. Back home he has a BMW E60 535i and a last-generation BMW X5 4.6is. He was a pleasant fellow and we got along well. We both despise Lexus ( :lol:) and love history and heritage.  :praise:

Anyway, getting into the details of the European Delivery Program is a bit to much, but I'll say this. They treated him like a god. He was able to enjoy a first class lounge experience while we waited for his car to be delivered. They had expensive wines, alcohol and exotics foods in that lounge and he invited me to dine with him. This stuff was all free of charge for the new 1M owner (and me as well). We met an American couple from Chicago who were picking up their new 335i Convertible and the Americans talked among themselves for a bit and how much they love BMW etc.

We finally were able to pick up his car after half an hour of arriving at BMW Welt. The salesman gave the man a half hour introduction on his new toy while I snapped some detailed photos of everything (those pictures will come tomorrow).

We spent some time in the BMW Museum waiting for the sun to disappear before out photoshoot in nearby Gr?nwald. The car is really amazing. He was warned by BMW not to exceed 4,500 RPM for the first 1,000 km so that meant performance driving was out of the question. I don't think it would have mattered much since he wasn't a very good driver with the manual transmission. He didn't operate the clutch gently (car shuddered) and he often shifted into the wrong gear (instead of 1st gear he'll start in 3rd gear / or shifting from 3rd gear into 2nd when he wanted to shift into 4th!). Yikes! The car was much more comfortable than my 1-Series. The suspension felt stiff and sturdy but not rough or harsh. The seats were supportive though I felt that they could have used a bit more side support, just a little bit. The engine sound was always amazing, especially when he started to accelerate in 1st gear or simply accelerate on the Autobahn. We never passed 130 km/h on the Autobahn. He actually drove pretty slow on the Autobahn and was sort off hogging the left lane. One Mercedes CL500 driver was fast approaching on our ass at high speed (around 180 km/h or higher according to my estimates) and rode up pretty close to our ass and was flashing his high beams like crazy - MOVE OVER - the right lane beside us was empty, yet he was hogging the left lane at a slow 120-130 km/h. Overtaking on the right is illegal here and severely punished if you're caught. I told him to move over to the right and explained to him how if you drive on the left lane you're supposed to overtake and not hog it. Please, we don't want to be like a friggin Prius driver!  :lol:

I asked him if he's the sort of guy who takes his cars unto a track. "No" was the reply. There you have it. The people who can afford these cars don't take them unto the track.  :lol:

He allowed me to steer his car at one point from my passenger seat. I was amazed at how direct the steering response was. There was "no room to play". The steering wheel and front wheels responded right away. Pretty cool. The steering in my 1-Series feels vague compared to this thing.

Did I forget anything else? Just ask me!  :cheers:

THE PHOTOSHOOT

As usual, there wasn't enough time. I basically worked with my Nikon D3s and SB-900 Speedlight flash. I even disabled the overheating warning function of my Nikon SB-900 Speedlight (because in this god damn heat the flash doesn't last long even at low power!) - it was worth it for this car.

So anyway, here the images of this beast. What a car. It's sexy and seductive. People stopped and stared and I often had to wait until they vanished from sight because their reflections could be seen in the cars. Yeah, I had to remove so many reflections from this car because so many annoying people were around!  :banghead:

I wanted to go to various locations I had scouted but there just wasn't enough time. He was on a strict schedule and it was nice enough of him to take me along in the first place.  ;)

PHOTOSHOOT INSIDE BMW WELT "TRACK" - Where's BMW and Driver when you need them? "TRACK", yep, "TRACK"! They're getting a hard-on when they hear that word! "TRACK MUTHAFUCKA"! :rockon:

After about seven laps we were told to stop because of "emission problems inside the building". Should have bought a 116i, yo!  :tounge:  :frown:

A jealous son of a bitch!  :lol:

Every Americans Nightmare - Refueling in Germany!  :lol:

What a gas-guzzler this thing is. We left Munich with a 1/4 full tank, experienced some light city traffic, used a 10 km long Autobahn and the guy didn't even push it and yet the fuel tank was on reserve at the end of our trip. Reminds me of my 118i and its drinking habits. BMW Efficient Dynamics my ass.  :facepalm:

I'm seriously talking my sister into trading the 118i in for a 118d. I'm putting on about 15,000 km a year unto the car so a diesel is well worth getting for fuel economy and range.

BMW Welt Parking Garage - Sex on Wheels - everywhere!

BMW 1M vs BMW M3 vs BMW M3. The far right M3 is a US-spec model. Look at the license plate of the 1M and the US-spec M3 and tell me what you see...

2007 BMW 118i vs 2011 BMW 1M

The Wimmer BMW wins the comparison because...because it has 5-doors as opposed to the 1Ms 3-doors! Plus, you can have sex on the rear seats of a 118i while you can't in a 1M!  :thumbsup:

Visual comparison. Man, does the new 1er look like crap or what? Look at how lovely mine looks!  :tounge:

Feel the power...of the 118i!  :rockon:

And he's off to northern Germany to get his car on the boat!

VIDEOS: As usual, my videos are crap but they give you some insight. Due to low camera battery, some of the latter videos were cut short by the camera.

1) Walk around the car with the engine running and the guy stepping on the pedal!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJpGjwzJJ5w

2) Circle Driving 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhn1vGI96Hg

3) Circle Driving 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ohrs42JH3c

4) Wimmer, why didn't you get in and drive away!? This car does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, dude!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxWFe1vPcgM

5) Random Autobahn Cruising 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fdMUY_1Raw

6) Random Autobahn Cruising 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i0YRMqdrSY

7) Random Autobahn Cruising 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4cxYLTsJV0

8) Backing in at the photoshoot location...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLc2ZjkO3a4

I will most likely post some photos of the "First Encounter" of the car tomorrow with some detailed shots of the interior, engine, brakes etc. I'm just so tired after working on all these shots for seven hours straight.  :zzz:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Mustangfan2003

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Rupert

Wow, he took delivery in Germany, but isn't driving it all over the continent? He's going right for the boat? That seems... silly.

Sweet car, though. Good color (for the next ten years, then it will look dated).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rupert on June 04, 2011, 07:34:39 PM
Wow, he took delivery in Germany, but isn't driving it all over the continent? He's going right for the boat? That seems... silly.

Sweet car, though. Good color (for the next ten years, then it will look dated).

He arrived in Munich on Friday. We met up yesterday (Saturday) and he's leaving for America today (Sunday).  :lol:

Car is being shipped over though. He should have arrived in either Hamburg or Bremen awhile ago though. Those are port cities and that's usually where all the cars being exported to the US are loaded unto ships.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

I think it would be pretty neat to take delivery on a car but I'd want to stay about 2 weeks driving all over Europe

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on June 04, 2011, 07:41:25 PM
I think it would be pretty neat to take delivery on a car but I'd want to stay about 2 weeks driving all over Europe

Yeah, I told him that. I suggested to him he check out the 'Ring and even drive his car on it but he's not a track guy. In fact he didn't seem very sporty at all. He just likes the car but he'll never use its full capabilities.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rupert

Shame. Hopefully, he preserves it well for someone else down the line.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Mustangfan2003

A trip to Germany is worthless without a trip to the Ring

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rupert on June 04, 2011, 07:46:48 PM
Shame. Hopefully, he preserves it well for someone else down the line.

He has a young son. When that kid goes to college in a few years... :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

omicron

I absolutely love the pumped track on this car. Brilliant.

cawimmer430

Quote from: omicron on June 05, 2011, 08:14:56 AM
I absolutely love the pumped track on this car. Brilliant.

That setup is really useful. It'll aid you in evading McLeods Daughters!  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Good stuff man

Sucks that this guy has more $$$ than enthusiasm... but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 05, 2011, 12:12:35 PM
Good stuff man

Sucks that this guy has more $$$ than enthusiasm... but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles

Thanks.  :cheers:

But on the other hand, if he decides to sell the car later in life it'll most likely be in great condition since it didn't have the piss beat out of it.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

Nice for you.

If he can?t drive a manual he will beat the shit out of the car even if he drives slowly. You do more damage to the drivetrain like that compared to driving fast while doing good rev-matching.

And I also can?t believe that someone would do euro-delivery and then spend just one day over there. Crazy.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 05, 2011, 04:30:56 PM
Nice for you.

If he can?t drive a manual he will beat the shit out of the car even if he drives slowly. You do more damage to the drivetrain like that compared to driving fast while doing good rev-matching.

And I also can?t believe that someone would do euro-delivery and then spend just one day over there. Crazy.

He surprised me as well when he told me that he would be arriving on Friday and leaving on Sunday. He really only came to Munich to pick up and drive this car and maybe meet me. That's it.  :mask:

I'd definitely want to stay and check out a country or city when I go somewhere to pick up a car etc.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 04, 2011, 05:13:18 PM

The guy, who shall remain nameless, is a loyal American BMW owner.

I don't think it would have mattered much since he wasn't a very good driver with the manual transmission.  He actually drove pretty slow on the Autobahn and was sort off hogging the left lane at a slow 120-130 km/h. Please, we don't want to be like a friggin Prius driver!  :lol:

I'm not surprised that he drives like a douche.  Confirmed truth: 9/10 BMW drivers on US roads drive like complete pricks.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 565 on June 05, 2011, 06:02:17 PM
I'm not surprised that he drives like a douche.  Confirmed truth: 9/10 BMW drivers on US roads drive like complete pricks.

And I am sure that most of them drive automatics to, right?  :tounge:

His two cars in the US are both automatic: 535i E60 and X5 4.6is.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

The Pirate

Quote from: Rupert on June 04, 2011, 07:34:39 PM

Agreed.  The owner of the shop I work at did European deliver on his 3-series - he made it a 3 week trip.  He drove all over the continent.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

r0tor

this would be one of the few cars I would trade the RX-8 in for...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Really like this car... not beautiful, but it looks like it means business.

cawimmer430

Quote from: The Pirate on June 05, 2011, 06:08:30 PM
Agreed.  The owner of the shop I work at did European deliver on his 3-series - he made it a 3 week trip.  He drove all over the continent.

That's the spirit.

Even one week would be good, but most people plan a 2-week stay in Europe with their car. In fact I think the car brand even helps you plan your route and the hotels etc.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

So the guy emailed me. He's gotten to know the car better and he's been driving it hard on some backroads after developing a feel for it. Says he wants to test it on a track sometime.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

GoCougs

Just saw this. So, he hates Lexus yet can't drive a manual and is a left lane camper. Yep, he's sure all about H&HTM...

cawimmer430

Quote from: GoCougs on October 01, 2011, 08:20:30 PM
Just saw this. So, he hates Lexus yet can't drive a manual and is a left lane camper. Yep, he's sure all about H&HTM...

I think he said something about Lexus building boring cars with no excitement whatsoever. He's not a fan of the IS-F either. To him BMW is the ultimate driving machine. Sounds like a typical BMW fan to me. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

GoCougs

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 01, 2011, 08:22:36 PM
I think he said something about Lexus building boring cars with no excitement whatsoever. He's not a fan of the IS-F either. To him BMW is the ultimate driving machine. Sounds like a typical BMW fan to me. :lol:

Again, what's he know about excitement if he can't drive a manual transmission and camps in the left lane on the German autobahn of all places?