2o6's review: Cruze vs Focus

Started by 2o6, June 20, 2011, 01:39:25 PM

2o6

So today I was incredibly upset and bored. Not too sure what to do with my future; do I want to finish my degree? Do I want to take a little break from school? Should I work full time? I have a lot of thinking to do.

All of my friends are either off at work, or doing some mundane activity. And frankly, I didn't want anyone else in my car. So I figured, hmmn. Why don't I do some test drives? That'll cheer me up, and take my mind off of some more pressing questions, if not for a little while. I got in my Focus and just drove. I debated on going out to a Nissan dealer and getting into a Juke, but I didn't feel like driving across town. I drove until I saw a Ford dealer. I was in the wrong lane, so I couldn't go to it immediately. I drove forward and 15 seconds later, I was at a Chevy Dealer with two Cruzes out front; an RS model and an ECO.

Chevrolet Cruze ECO

People online have ragged on the Cruze for being bland, boring and old. I don't feel it looks very old; in a lot of ways its more conservative styling will age far better than the Focus' in-the-now styling. The DLO (day light opening, for you acronym-skittish folk) looks far better in person than photos. The small black plastic triangle is a whole lot less glaring in person than in photos. I even liked the look of the RS's tacked-on dealer installed body kit. Looks a whole lot better than the Corolla S or XRS's terrible looking body kit.

Inside, the story gets better. The design of the car is very attractive; it has a very nice wrap-around effect that surrounds the driver in comfort. The steering wheel is nice and heavy to hold. Materials are very good; soft touch materials in the right places. The fabric covered accent pieces on the dash add a lively dash of color into the cabin. The shifter is nice to hold in your hand. The seats look good and are quite comfortable.

However, there is one thing that is really bothering me. The Cruze, at least visually, looks as tall as my Focus and the current 2012 Focus, but the seating position is lower, and the floor is higher; resulting in a driving position that is overall lower than the Focus. Not keen on that. Rear seat room is slightly better than the Focus legroom wise, but the higher floor and lower seat comes into a slightly uncomfortable position for occupants in the back.

The model I have is a 1.4L with the Turbo, six-speed-manual ECO. On the road, the driving manners are excellent. The lag in the 1.4L is nearly non-existant. Power comes early, and the result is a motor that has a lot of low-end grunt for such a cheaper and heavier car. Ride is very good, smooth and absorbs bumps noticeably better than the Focus. Handling is decent, it goes around corners with confidence, but if you're looking for a sports sedan, you are looking at the wrong model. Still, better than the Corolla. Shifter is not very memorable; throws are easy enough, but the clutch travel is too long and the take up point is very vague. However, the gearing is exactly in a car. Very tall and good for economy, but it's balanced enough so as to where the car is not a complete and total slug.

I really liked the Cruze.

Ford Focus

So I drove out of the Chevy dealer, and made the right turn into the Ford dealer, where I only had to wait a few minutes to get into a bog-standard Focus S sedan.

The Focus is a looker in upper trims, but in lower trims it can look awkward. The car I drove was a base model "S". It was a dark grey color, and came with hubcaps that looked positively tiny underneath the Focus' visual girth. Ignoring the awkwardness of the base model, I looked to the left of the car, where there were two up level SEL cars (one a Sedan, another a Hatch) both in a really sexy looking Seafoam green color. Paired with a beige and black interior, it was a really stylish car. Overall styling of the car is very good, even if a bit overdone in some areas. Darker colors hide the complexity of the strange looking angles-upon-angles front fascia, but lighter colors seem to emphasize it's awkwardness. The wheelbase looks long, and the whole car looks more sophisticated and lower than the Chevy Cruze.

Inside, the car can be a bit disappointing. The design is forced, angles and surfaces everywhere with a dashboard that comes out towards you. The Radio is a bit confusing to use on the road, and the seats aren't the greatest. However, the driving position is much better than the Cruze's. Rear seat room isn't terrible; but it still isn't as good as it should be. I can sit behind the front seat when it's moved all the way back, but honestly, not very well. Even when the seat is adjusted for my moderately-sized 5'9" frame, the rear seat is only passable at best. Materials seem good, but honestly, I felt that the Cruze was a better place to be. I also thought it was very European of Ford to offer power front windows and crank rear ones...odd.

On the road, the car is very composed. Shifter is crisp, and the clutch is easy to use. Handling is very good; plenty of grip and only a moderate amount of roll. However, it is noisy; significantly louder than the Cruze. Ride is mediocre, with the 16" wheels and balloon tires, the ride over rough roads isn't as nice as the Cruze, or even the original 1st Gen Focus. Steering feel is also mediocre, too light and overboosted, especially compared to the really weighty feeling of the smaller Fiesta.

Winner: Chevy Cruze. Focus makes too many compromises for the same price. Yeah, you get good handling, but is it really worth it? But with that said, the Focus is a really good car too.

sportyaccordy

Really good reviews, you covered pretty much every point I would have asked about in these cars.

All Foci come with that 160HP 2.0 four right? What were your impressions of that vs the Cruze' 1.4T?

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 20, 2011, 01:50:19 PM
Really good reviews, you covered pretty much every point I would have asked about in these cars.

All Foci come with that 160HP 2.0 four right? What were your impressions of that vs the Cruze' 1.4T?

The Focus is markedly faster, especially since it's lighter, geared shorter and has more power. Power curve is also more even. Lag on the 1.4T is very small, but it still is there.

68_427

I've also read the 1.4T can run out of steam high in the rev range.  (Max hp is made at under 5K RPM)  How were the equipment levels, was the base Focus comparable to the Cruze you drove?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on June 20, 2011, 02:43:47 PM
I've also read the 1.4T can run out of steam high in the rev range.  (Max hp is made at under 5K RPM)  How were the equipment levels, was the base Focus comparable to the Cruze you drove?

I didn't drive a base Cruze. Cruze Eco is pretty well equipped.

68_427

Yeah I think the Eco starts at LT right?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on June 20, 2011, 02:49:56 PM
Yeah I think the Eco starts at LT right?

Yeah.

The 1.4T is a bit breathless above 5K. But if you keep it below that, it's perfect.

SVT666

I drove a Focus Titanium and it was mindblowingly good for a compact car.  It would be perfect for my wife, but it is lacking in "feel" compared to my Focus.  I would be interested in driving the ST.

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on June 20, 2011, 02:52:36 PM
I drove a Focus Titanium and it was mindblowingly good for a compact car.  It would be perfect for my wife, but it is lacking in "feel" compared to my Focus.  I would be interested in driving the ST.

I thought it was very good, too.

I also thought the Cruze is an excellent car, too.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on June 20, 2011, 01:39:25 PM
Ride is mediocre, with the 16" wheels and balloon tires, the ride over rough roads isn't as nice as the Cruze, or even the original 1st Gen Focus. Steering feel is also mediocre, too light and overboosted, especially compared to the really weighty feeling of the smaller Fiesta.

A bit disappointing, to be honest. Because those were two things I remember liking about the first Focus; the ride was very compliant for a car wth such sharp and nimble handling, and although the steering was very light, it delivered excellent feel.

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on June 20, 2011, 01:39:25 PM
The DLO (day light opening, for you acronym-skittish folk) looks far better in person than photos.

:facepalm:

2o6

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 20, 2011, 03:24:09 PM
A bit disappointing, to be honest. Because those were two things I remember liking about the first Focus; the ride was very compliant for a car wth such sharp and nimble handling, and although the steering was very light, it delivered excellent feel.

Not to mention the roomy interior and competitive pricing, which also seem to have vanished.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on June 20, 2011, 03:57:12 PM
Not to mention the roomy interior and competitive pricing, which also seem to have vanished.

I don't think the Focus is tight, but it isn't as spacious as it should be. I mean, even the 1st Focus needed more room in comparison to the Elantra or Civic of the same vintage.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on June 20, 2011, 04:12:31 PM
I don't think the Focus is tight, but it isn't as spacious as it should be. I mean, even the 1st Focus needed more room in comparison to the Elantra or Civic of the same vintage.

No, it didn't.

2o6

ifcar

2o6

I've been in a 2001+ Elantra.

Rear legroom is better than the Focus. It's not as tall in the seating position, but it definitely has more room.

ifcar

With a low seat, you need more physical space for the same usable comfort. The 2001 Elantra and Civic both have lower seats than the 2000 Focus, and barely more physical space if any.

hotrodalex

Lower seats > higher seats.

Low = sporty, high = not sporty. I like sporty.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 20, 2011, 08:13:13 PM
Lower seats > higher seats.

Low = sporty, high = not sporty. I like sporty.

I don't find that to always be true.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on June 20, 2011, 08:04:22 PM
With a low seat, you need more physical space for the same usable comfort. The 2001 Elantra and Civic both have lower seats than the 2000 Focus, and barely more physical space if any.

Whatever. Not going to fight this tooth and nail.

hotrodalex

I can't stand it when I drive our Mazda6 after driving my Saturn. The Saturn is so low that even a sporty Mazda6 feels SUV-like with it's higher seating position.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on June 20, 2011, 04:43:49 PM
No, it didn't.
Yes it did.  The back seat of my Focus is not fit for adults.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 20, 2011, 03:24:09 PM
It still is if you get the 17" or 18" wheel packages.  I drove one with 17" wheels and I was very happy with the ride and handling.

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on June 20, 2011, 09:04:24 PM

Eh, depending on how tall the guy in the front seat is, the people in the rear can be reasonably comfortable. Wouldn't want to spend an extended amount of time back there, though.

A whole lot better than my bro's '02 Corolla, but not as good as my other brother's '06 Corolla.

Quote from: SVT666 on June 20, 2011, 09:05:09 PM
It still is if you get the 17" or 18" wheel packages.  I drove one with 17" wheels and I was very happy with the ride and handling.

I liked the ride and handling. It's just that the car doesn't ride as well as the Cruze. I wish the ride was a tad bit better, but as I said, it's still a very good car.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on June 20, 2011, 09:07:14 PM
Eh, depending on how tall the guy in the front seat is, the people in the rear can be reasonably comfortable. Wouldn't want to spend an extended amount of time back there, though.

A whole lot better than my bro's '02 Corolla, but not as good as my other brother's '06 Corolla.

I liked the ride and handling. It's just that the car doesn't ride as well as the Cruze. I wish the ride was a tad bit better, but as I said, it's still a very good car.
You should drive one without hubcaps.  It will change your mind.

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on June 20, 2011, 09:11:34 PM
You should drive one without hubcaps.  It will change your mind.

The handling was good.

The ride was mediocre. Even with balloon tires, it isn't good. And the Cruze's wheels are bigger with a smaller aspect ratio.

The Cruze definitely is quieter and rides smoother over rough roads.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on June 20, 2011, 09:13:33 PM
The handling was good.

The ride was mediocre. Even with balloon tires, it isn't good. And the Cruze's wheels are bigger with a smaller aspect ratio.

The Cruze definitely is quieter and rides smoother over rough roads.
Like i said, suspension tuning is different on the cars with 17" wheels.  The ride was very nice.  Too nice in fact.

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on June 20, 2011, 09:04:24 PM

I've ridden in the back of first-gen Focuses, no problem. If you don't fit, you don't fit in an old Elantra or Civic either.