Stolen Car

Started by CJ, June 30, 2011, 01:25:43 PM

CJ

Here's the dealio, folks...My brother's 2000 Acura Integra Type R (Yes, it's a real and legit Type R...) was stolen last night from our driveway.  I walked out to load some stuff into the 940 so I could come back to Norman and be on time to work, noticed his car wasn't in the back of the house.  I figured it'd be out front...but it wasn't.  I waited for my brother to get out of the bathroom and asked, "John...where's your car?!"  He said it was out back...and I said that it wasn't.  Immediately he called the police and within 5 minutes, a Plano police officer showed up and we filed a police report.  Insurance has been called and they are giving us 10 days to find it before giving us a settlement.  The car had $2000 worth of tools in it at the time.  Homeowner's insurance will cover that. Before the police officer left our house, he said to try and find it on Craigslist.  GUESS WHAT POPPED UP ON CRAIGSLIST LAST NIGHT?  Yep, a black 2000 ITR with some body damage that matched the description of my brother's car perfectly.  Anyway, they emailed the guy and he said that it wasn't for sale anymore...and guess what popped up on CL a little bit later?  An ITR head.

I told my brother before he even bought this car that it would wind up being stolen.  I was right.

Here's a picture of the car.  Serial # 1055

hotrodalex

LOL idiots putting it on craigslist already.

Rupert

So you can get it back, right? Sounds like it'll be in pieces, though.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Cookie Monster

Fuck dude, that sucks. :cry:

That's why I'll never go near an ITR or even GS-R. Awesome cars that I really want, but fucking thieves ruin everything.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CJ

Insurance reached a settlement today.  $10,500 and he'll get a check in 8 days.

Rupert

0_o But the car was on CL...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CJ

Quote from: Rupert on June 30, 2011, 05:44:44 PM
0_o But the car was on CL...

It quickly disappeared.  Then parts started showing up and THEY quickly disappeared.

Cookie Monster

Your brother seems to have bad luck with Integras.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CJ

Quote from: thecarnut on June 30, 2011, 06:16:38 PM
Your brother seems to have bad luck with Integras.

I strongly opposed him getting this car and will strongly oppose getting another Integra.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on June 30, 2011, 06:05:32 PM

It quickly disappeared.  Then parts started showing up and THEY quickly disappeared.

Craigslist can still be contacted and asked to backtrack the IP.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CJ

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 30, 2011, 07:15:15 PM

Not worth it since a settlement has been reached.

S204STi

Maybe worth it to the police though...  but that part is up to them I guess.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on June 30, 2011, 07:42:20 PM

Worth it monetarily or not: thieves should be punished, and helping that happen: especially when you are the victim, is the right thing to do.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Kill them with death.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

bing_oh

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 30, 2011, 07:15:15 PMCraigslist can still be contacted and asked to backtrack the IP.

Potentially so. I believe it costs to post want ads on Craigslist, so they might even have credit card info. Some websites are more LE friendly than other, though...some will readily give info while others will make officers jump through countless hoops. I've never had to contact Craigslist directly, so I don't know how cooperative they are with LE in investigations.

ifcar

Quote from: bing_oh on June 30, 2011, 09:34:35 PM
Potentially so. I believe it costs to post want ads on Craigslist, so they might even have credit card info. Some websites are more LE friendly than other, though...some will readily give info while others will make officers jump through countless hoops. I've never had to contact Craigslist directly, so I don't know how cooperative they are with LE in investigations.

Craigslist is free. It's why everyone uses it.

bing_oh

Quote from: ifcar on June 30, 2011, 09:35:33 PMCraigslist is free. It's why everyone uses it.

:huh: Learn something new every day. I guess I just assumed it was pay to post.

sportyaccordy

That is a bummer and a half. He should take that check and supercharge a Prelude

MaxPower

I've dealt with craigslist on child welfare issues before and they've been very responsive--gave us the info needed to find the perps apartment.  Maybe it was because a little kid was involved; hopefully they'd be that good for a stolen car.

hounddog

Quote from: R-inge on June 30, 2011, 07:51:36 PM
Maybe worth it to the police though...  but that part is up to them I guess.
Actually, if I were the responding officer and was told to drop it because insurance made payment I would begin an investigation into the complainant for filing a false report and insurance fraud.

:huh:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Submariner

I'm not going to lie, if it were me, vengeance would be the only thing on my mind. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

Quote from: Submariner on July 01, 2011, 09:00:01 PM
I'm not going to lie, if it were me, vengeance would be the only thing on my mind. 

Me, too, even if the car was a lost cause. The person who stole it deserves to be in jail.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: hounddog on July 01, 2011, 06:57:20 PM
Actually, if I were the responding officer and was told to drop it because insurance made payment I would begin an investigation into the complainant for filing a false report and insurance fraud.

I hear ya.

CJ

Quote from: hounddog on July 01, 2011, 06:57:20 PM

We never told the police to drop it and I have no idea where the hell you got that from.  My brother is the one who is giving up his search after realizing that the car really is gone.  I can guarantee you that there is no fraudulent activity.  We'll get a check in a few days.  The insurance company gives the police 10 days to try and find the vehicle before issuing a check.  That was the amount that Allstate came to and will issue a check for.

hounddog

Quote from: CJ on July 01, 2011, 10:39:38 PM

We never told the police to drop it and I have no idea where the hell you got that from.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 30, 2011, 07:15:15 PM
Quote from: CJ on June 30, 2011, 07:42:20 PM

Considering this the ONLY lead you have...
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

CJ

Quote from: hounddog on July 01, 2011, 10:48:48 PM

Considering this the ONLY lead you have...

It's not the only lead.  My brother's been searching by car (Wretched rental HHR...) since it happened.  He's had some leads from people.  It's not worth his time to keep looking.  There's no point in getting the car back in many many pieces.  We'll let the police do their job.  It's none of our business doing vigilante justice...or whatever it's called.

hounddog

[sigh]

Of course its YOUR business, its YOUR car.
(brothers, but you know what I mean)

It is not point any longer to get the car back.  It is to bring the people who took it to justice.   

:facepalm:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

CJ

Quote from: hounddog on July 01, 2011, 11:01:13 PM
[sigh]

It's a fairly high profile vehicle that is commonly stolen.  He doesn't want it back, especially knowing that it won't have an engine, interior, or suspension.  It'll be a shell.  There's no point in pursuing it.

CJ

Quote from: hounddog on July 01, 2011, 11:01:13 PM
[sigh]

It is not point any longer to get the car back.  It is to bring the people who took it to justice.   

:facepalm:

We'll let the POLICE do their job.  It's THEIR JOB to find out who did it, not ours. 

2o6

If I had an actual TypeR, I would have it rolling on hubcaps and remove the rear spoiler and all the badging.