2012 Toyota Camry Leaked!

Started by Atomic, July 04, 2011, 11:56:03 AM

ifcar

Undisguised spy photos of the U.S. model:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/30/this-is-the-2012-toyota-camry-hybrid/

Familiar roofline, new front and rear ends.

Cookie Monster

Front is OK, rear is just weird.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CJ

I can't even think of words to describe how I feel about this car.  Completely uninspired.

68_427

Hm, of the new midsizers we've seen (Malibu, Passat, Camry) two of the appear at least to have gotten slightly smaller.  Could that possibly be a new trend?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Atomic

thanks, iffy! i was about to add the same link and then saw your posting. i really like the 2012 camry as far as toyota's go. as a lexus, i would be disappointed, but this is how to improve upon the top selling car in the u.s. for many years now. it has always been an appliance (as far as cars go) but with just enough "descent lines". i do like the front a lot. the side profile shows a more angular look. i think the rear must be seen in person. it does appear to add a bit of distinction.

Atomic

re: the back-end, the hybrid version the the pre-2012 camry has a slightly different taillight treatment. it will be interesting to see if the '12 non-hybrid models vary from the 2012 hybrid variety.

thewizard16

I don't like the front or rear. The roofline and side profile are the only things I think look alright.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Colin

Another unbelievably exciting Toyota.

280Z Turbo

Why doesn't the Camry have a 400 hp V8, RWD, and orange paint? Because Toyota is trying to make money.

This car is not meant for you guys. It's like an appliance, and there's nothing wrong with that. Believe it or not, not everybody likes cars.

Hamilton Beach isn't expected to build a blender enthusiast's blender. Nor does Maytag receive any flack for not building a sporty dryer.

Move along folks. There's nothing to see here.

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 31, 2011, 01:28:58 AM
Why doesn't the Camry have a 400 hp V8, RWD, and orange paint? Because Toyota is trying to make money.

This car is not meant for you guys. It's like an appliance, and there's nothing wrong with that. Believe it or not, not everybody likes cars.

Hamilton Beach isn't expected to build a blender enthusiast's blender. Nor does Maytag receive any flack for not building a sporty dryer.

+5
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

cawimmer430

Looks pretty decent for a Toyota Camry from what I can see. I doubt I'll ever see one in real life or it may be awhile before a member of the various Camry Enthusiast Clubs we have here imports one into the Old Continent for my viewing pleasure.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Atomic

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 31, 2011, 04:17:14 AM
Looks pretty decent for a Toyota Camry from what I can see. I doubt I'll ever see one in real life or it may be awhile before a member of the various Camry Enthusiast Clubs we have here imports one into the Old Continent for my viewing pleasure.
pretty decent? i agree. some excellent points (above). when seeing the camry for what it is, the best seeing car in the u.s. -- and a family sedan at that, they will move a massive amount. i do look forward to renting one. looking at the pics of the 2013 chevrolet malibu in my september 2011 issue of motor trend, their is a similar profile to the '12 toyota camry. nice line on both family vehicles. mission accomplished with both re-dos, i would say.

an appliance? yes indeed.

CALL_911

It's not my cup of tea, but it's not a bad looking car, honestly. Hell, I've started to warm to the facelifted examples of the current gen Camry.

That said, I find the front to be much better looking than the rear.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 31, 2011, 04:17:14 AM

I would like to quote this because Wimmer said something both insightful and noteworthy on an automotive enthusiast forum that didn't involve exaggerated horsepower numbers or Consumer Reports.

Please, Mr. Wimmer, do this more often.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Atomic

CJ

They could have at least made it look good.  It's just an incredibly boring car.  Hyundai and Kia did a fantastic job styling their bread and butter cars, so why can't Toyota?  We're not looking for an orange 400HP RWD car, but something a little more exciting. 

See what I mean?  They have great looks but also manage to be affordable and practical.  This is what Toyota needs to do with everything in their lineup.  Instead of resting on their laurels, they need to start creating a better product.

the Teuton

We'll see. A group of enthusiasts aren't going to be the ones who dictate what Toyota should do; 400,000 or so shoppers will.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Atomic on July 31, 2011, 08:55:58 AM
pretty decent? i agree. some excellent points (above). when seeing the camry for what it is, the best seeing car in the u.s. -- and a family sedan at that, they will move a massive amount. i do look forward to renting one. looking at the pics of the 2013 chevrolet malibu in my september 2011 issue of motor trend, their is a similar profile to the '12 toyota camry. nice line on both family vehicles. mission accomplished with both re-dos, i would say.

an appliance? yes indeed.

It's a safe and inoffensive design. It looks better than the model it replaces and actually seems to come across as even "sportier" in appearance, but it's obviously still aimed at a market segment who don't care about car design and just care about value and reliability.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

CJ

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2011, 11:44:53 AM
We'll see. A group of enthusiasts aren't going to be the ones who dictate what Toyota should do; 400,000 or so shoppers will.

Those shoppers appear to be slowly moving the Hyundai/Kia.  With their quality, reliability, stylish good looks, and warranty, why wouldn't they?

cawimmer430

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2011, 10:34:04 AM
I would like to quote this because Wimmer said something both insightful and noteworthy on an automotive enthusiast forum that didn't involve exaggerated horsepower numbers or Consumer Reports.

Please, Mr. Wimmer, do this more often.

Well it could use RWD, a 64.7-l V12 and...  :lol: j/k

:cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: CJ on July 31, 2011, 11:50:18 AM
Those shoppers appear to be slowly moving the Hyundai/Kia.  With their quality, reliability, stylish good looks, and warranty, why wouldn't they?

The latest Sonata and Optima are not comfort-focused cars. Even the current Camry is roomier, smoother-riding and quieter.

Atomic

Quote from: ifcar on July 31, 2011, 12:31:25 PM
The latest Sonata and Optima are not comfort-focused cars. Even the current Camry is roomier, smoother-riding and quieter.
the ride is probably "best in class"... like larger buick's and cadillac's of yore... others in its class must surely handle better but the camry has a posh ride for sure.

the Teuton

Quote from: CJ on July 31, 2011, 11:50:18 AM

Brand loyalty.

Toyota doesn't build bad cars, and I'd be surprised if the Sonata was a better car than the Camry in the real world for people who commute 20,000 miles per year.

That said, if Toyota didn't step up its game for this new car, expect the Koreans (and maybe even the 'Murricans) to trounce all over it.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on July 31, 2011, 12:31:25 PM

Yup.

TBR

The current model isn't as good of an appliance as its more interesting competition.

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on July 31, 2011, 05:13:37 PM
The current model isn't as good of an appliance as its more interesting competition.

I disagree with you. The Malibu doesn't have a nearly flat rear floor like the Camry, the Sonata isn't as quiet, the Accord looks kinda ugly, the Fusion isn't as powerful, and the Subaru Legacy isn't as big inside.

The Camry never has been the master of everything; every car has stronger points in various categories. But the Camry certainly has more "above averages" than most.

ifcar

Camry has best-in-class ride quality at the moment, and only the Accord matches its passenger space/comfort.

the Teuton

Think about it this way: If you had to load up a group of 3 or 4 friends and yourself and drive on a 1,000-mile trip, which family car would you pick?

I'd want something, smooth, quiet, comfortable, reliable, and spacious. The Camry has its flaws, but it's a better pick than just about anything else in its class for such duties.

Soup DeVille

Dude, everybody knows that Krups makes the blenders for purists. Hamilton Beach makes the nostalgic old school classics.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator