The next 3.....

Started by MexicoCityM3, September 30, 2011, 03:58:53 PM

MexicoCityM3

Well, the time is almost upon us for the reveal of the next 3 series - coming on October 14th to all Internet car sites near you. Arguably BMW?s most iconic car and a car that BMW can?t afford to screw up given its impact on overall sales.

From the available spy shots it seems to me that the car will be very similar to the current 3 from the B-pillar back while incorporating the stubbier nose of the recent 7 and 5 series updates. Dimensions should grow a bit but I have high hopes that BMW will keep the weight in check this time. Why? Well, the 3 shares its platform with the redesigned 1 series that was recently launched. Weight on the 1 stayed unchanged even while the car grew slightly. I hope BMW can pull off the same with the 3.

The front will probably not be as radical as the 1 (I hope!) as BMW can?t afford that level of risk on it?s bread and butter car.

Keeping weight in check bodes well for dynamics, just keeping the dynamic competence of the E90 for the new car would keep the 3 at the top of the class, as the E90 has beat all comers in this regard for its 7 year lifespan.

The big changes for enthusiasts are the death of the N/A six inline (new turbo 4) and the very risky move of introducing electric power steering across the line which has ruined the 5 series steering feel according to most mags. Will BMW be able to keep the steering feel in the 3?

The turbo 4 worries me less, as reviews of cars that already equip it (X1, Z4, 528i) have been mostly positive. And the turbo 4 should feel pretty good in the sedan.

Thoughts? Do you care if BMW keeps the 3 as the class benchmark?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

sportyaccordy

Def lost a bit of its edge/character on paper at least

And each iteration has continued the move from brilliant to competent, while the competition has gone from also ran to competent

The new C class has been getting a lot of love

G37 is due for an update

If there was ever a chance to take the crown this is it. They might have changed too much in the recipe. And then the triple turbo M.We will see

cawimmer430

According to BMW Blog the next 3er will also have a V6. Yes, a V6. Now 99% of "BMW fans" will get it right when they talk about the "V6" in their 325i or 335i.  :lol:

Spy Video: 2014 BMW M3 Sedan with V6 BiTurbo engine

First spy video of the new 2014 BMW M3 Sedan surfaces on the interwerbs. The new M3 Sedan will come to market along with the Coupe model, which according to our sources will carry the M4 moniker.

Another reliable source told BMWBLOG that the engine in the new M3 will be a 3.5 liter V6 BiTurbo engine.

We learned in the past that BMW M was testing different engines for the upcoming M3, one of them the long-time rumored inline-6 tri-turbo. While the inline-6 is a ?smoother? powerplant, it is larger in size since it needs to be leaned over for height reasons, hence why we believe the new V6 is the final choice for the M3 and M4.

Read more: http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/09/29/spy-video-2014-bmw-m3-sedan-with-v6-biturbo-engine/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Atomic

i think, after (only) a couple of blunders over the years, perhaps, we will not see much to complain about. i bet there will be a lot of new technology and only modest cosmetic changes to the exterior. the dash should be more functional than flashy. hopefully, as i hate countless small buttons and over-the-top ford sync-like antics. simple = better, IMO. mercedes-benz went to a standard panoramic roof for the '12 c-class sedan (at least from what i read this a.m.), so perhaps BMW will follow suit with an airier feeling interior and better use of natural air options. i like this move after riding in a new jeep overland and chrysler 300C with panorama sun/moonroofs. i think it is less likely for bimmer, as they tend to avoid most things trendy, for better or worse, depending on shopper/driver.

Galaxy

The next 3er will also feature an I3. Not from the start though.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 01, 2011, 02:33:44 PM
According to BMW Blog the next 3er will also have a V6. Yes, a V6. Now 99% of "BMW fans" will get it right when they talk about the "V6" in their 325i or 335i.  :lol:

If that happens, the V6 will be M3 exclusive so the 335i will stay with the turbo inline 6. 325i/328i will be turbo 4 bangers now.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 01, 2011, 08:22:44 AM
Def lost a bit of its edge/character on paper at least

And each iteration has continued the move from brilliant to competent, while the competition has gone from also ran to competent

The new C class has been getting a lot of love

G37 is due for an update

If there was ever a chance to take the crown this is it. They might have changed too much in the recipe. And then the triple turbo M.We will see

The C class gets love but still is always behind the 3 in all comparisons I have seen. However, the edge enjoyed by BMW is definitely smaller than it used to be.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Galaxy on October 03, 2011, 08:24:08 AM
The next 3er will also feature an I3. Not from the start though.

I think the first eco 3 to appear will be an ActiveHybrid 3, most likely a year after the rest of the line and sharing the ActiveHybrid 5 powertrain (6 turbo + electric).
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Atomic on October 01, 2011, 02:59:43 PM
i think, after (only) a couple of blunders over the years, perhaps, we will not see much to complain about. i bet there will be a lot of new technology and only modest cosmetic changes to the exterior. the dash should be more functional than flashy. hopefully, as i hate countless small buttons and over-the-top ford sync-like antics. simple = better, IMO. mercedes-benz went to a standard panoramic roof for the '12 c-class sedan (at least from what i read this a.m.), so perhaps BMW will follow suit with an airier feeling interior and better use of natural air options. i like this move after riding in a new jeep overland and chrysler 300C with panorama sun/moonroofs. i think it is less likely for bimmer, as they tend to avoid most things trendy, for better or worse, depending on shopper/driver.

I think the new 1 previews a lot of the interior of the new 3. We shall see soon.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Colonel Cadillac

I'm worried about the electric steering they're set to put in the 3-series (the steering system that wrecked the 5-series). We'll see if they screw it up.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 03, 2011, 12:42:06 PM
I'm worried about the electric steering they're set to put in the 3-series (the steering system that wrecked the 5-series). We'll see if they screw it up.

That?s my main worry, the turbo 4 I think will be ok.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Cookie Monster

Wait the M3's triple turbo six will be a V6?? :(
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: thecarnut on October 03, 2011, 12:46:19 PM
Wait the M3's triple turbo six will be a V6?? :(

Latest rumors point to a regular bi-turbo V6 based on the M5?s V8. The tri-turbo rumor was linked to an inline 6 configuration. I guess only BMW knows at this point and even they may be trying out differente configurations.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Colonel Cadillac

The I6 is H&H in all, but are there really any drawbacks to a V6? Mine sounds incredible and I imagine BMW's will as well.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 03, 2011, 12:57:51 PM
The I6 is H&H in all, but are there really any drawbacks to a V6? Mine sounds incredible and I imagine BMW's will as well.

The inline 6 is naturally balanced and produces no vibrations that on a V6 need to be cancelled using balance shafts. Other than that the V6 is more compact, has better cooling and can be positioned a bit more rearward helping with weight distribution.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CALL_911

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 03, 2011, 12:57:51 PM

Smooooooothness

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

The reactions from readers on Edmunds to the new 528i with the 4-cylinder are quite negative.

"Oh my God, why am I paying $ 1,000,000 for a BMW with a 4-cylinder when I can buy a Honda Accord V6 for $ 12!?"

^Typical internet dumbass.^  :facepalm:

It's amazing how many people still think that 4-cylinders are SLOW, UNREFINED and NOT CAPABLE OF MOVING HEAVY CARS. A modern 4-cylinder engine is very refined. Advances in engine technology have seen to that being addressed. They might not as smooth a 6-cylinder, but they're pretty damn close. Besides, the new 4-cylinder turbo 528i destroys the former 6-cylinder 528i in performance and fuel economy. WHY ARE PEOPLE COMPLAINING?  :facepalm:

Get a 535i if you want a 6-cylinder. Oh wait, you can't afford it. That explains why you're driving a Geo Metro, living in moms basement and ranting on Edmunds about a $ 60,000 car with a 4-cylinder engine. Pathetic fools.

All over the world there are 4-cylinder engines in luxury cars. It has always been like that. BMW has a glorious history of using 4-cylinder engines which silly sexually insecure magazines like BMW and Driver, whoops, Car and Driver never mention for fear that their penis size may be questioned.

The first Porsches uses 4-cylinder engines as did many famous racing and luxury cars from brands like Lancia, Alfa Romeo, Citroen, Mercedes etc.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

4 bangers suck, V6s suck... There are fundemental problems with their designs that requires tons of time and effort to try to cover up their sucking.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 04, 2011, 04:19:38 AM
The reactions from readers on Edmunds to the new 528i with the 4-cylinder are quite negative.

"Oh my God, why am I paying $ 1,000,000 for a BMW with a 4-cylinder when I can buy a Honda Accord V6 for $ 12!?"

^Typical internet dumbass.^  :facepalm:

It's amazing how many people still think that 4-cylinders are SLOW, UNREFINED and NOT CAPABLE OF MOVING HEAVY CARS. A modern 4-cylinder engine is very refined. Advances in engine technology have seen to that being addressed. They might not as smooth a 6-cylinder, but they're pretty damn close. Besides, the new 4-cylinder turbo 528i destroys the former 6-cylinder 528i in performance and fuel economy. WHY ARE PEOPLE COMPLAINING?  :facepalm:

Get a 535i if you want a 6-cylinder. Oh wait, you can't afford it. That explains why you're driving a Geo Metro, living in moms basement and ranting on Edmunds about a $ 60,000 car with a 4-cylinder engine. Pathetic fools.

All over the world there are 4-cylinder engines in luxury cars. It has always been like that. BMW has a glorious history of using 4-cylinder engines which silly sexually insecure magazines like BMW and Driver, whoops, Car and Driver never mention for fear that their penis size may be questioned.

The first Porsches uses 4-cylinder engines as did many famous racing and luxury cars from brands like Lancia, Alfa Romeo, Citroen, Mercedes etc.

You need to calm down before you give yourself an aneurism.

Those people know full well that 4-cylinders are perfectly adequate to move a car, hence why 9 out of 10 Accords in the US are sold with a 4-cylinder engine.

What those readers are objecting to is paying a large premium for what they perceive to be relatively little additional value.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Tave on October 04, 2011, 10:27:03 AM

You need to calm down before you give yourself an aneurism.

Those people know full well that 4-cylinders are perfectly adequate to move a car, hence why 9 out of 10 Accords in the US are sold with a 4-cylinder engine.

What those readers are objecting to is paying a large premium for what they perceive to be relatively little additional value.

I wasn't high on anger when I typed that.  :lol:

People also need to realize that when you buy a BMW you're also paying for other features, some tangible, some intangible. You pay for the badge/name (brand prestige through H&H), quality, high safety standards, the dynamic handling etc.

If people are so concerned about value, they shouldn't be shopping for a luxury car in the first place. Luxury cars are generally poor value for money.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 03, 2011, 12:42:06 PM
FWIW the 2nd gen MR2, S2K, and NSX all had EPS. So BMW botching it was all on them. I am doubtful that they will rectify it in the new 3.

My hope is in the 1. If they can cut its weight down it will be the pick of the line.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 04, 2011, 10:39:46 AM

People also need to realize that when you buy a BMW you're also paying for other features, some tangible, some intangible. You pay for the badge/name (brand prestige through H&H), quality, high safety standards, the dynamic handling etc.

If people are so concerned about value, they shouldn't be shopping for a luxury car in the first place. Luxury cars are generally poor value for money.
A stripper 1 or 3 is little to no more prestigious or dynamic than an equivalent Japanese car. And they're def no better equipped. H&H is bullshit. So with that out, the expensive options, the possibly dead steering feel and dynamics, what advantage or reasons will the 3 have over an IS or G37? Situation is critical. Regular 5 has already been written off for the new A6 and even the M56. 7 for the XJ & A6. They cannot afford to lose the 3.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 04, 2011, 01:51:12 PM
...the possibly dead steering feel...
Ford accomplished great steering feel in the Mustang with electric steering.

Tave

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 04, 2011, 10:39:46 AM

Exactly. Luxury cars are all about buying features you want but don't need. Why not give yourself a nice, powerful, silky smooth engine in addition to that dynamic handling and sumptuous interior? Why spend all that money to end up with something that is no more excessive than an Accord?

Now I'm exaggerating here for effect, because a BMW obviously is more luxurious than an Accord. However, you can't pretend the criticism about the engine options is baseless. You're talking about spending more money to get a super-duper suspension. Well, the people on Edmunds are talking about spending more money to get a super-duper engine. There's no reason to ridicule them for that, but you do it constantly.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sportyaccordy

Wim is like a computer program. When all else fails default to H&H?

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 04, 2011, 01:51:12 PM
H&H is bullshit.

Really?

Why are people willing to pay so much money for a Rolex and a Seiko costs much less and does the same thing: tell time.

It's all in the name and image. HISTORY & HERITAGE.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Tave on October 04, 2011, 02:33:10 PMExactly. Luxury cars are all about buying features you want but don't need. Why not give yourself a nice, powerful, silky smooth engine in addition to that dynamic handling and sumptuous interior? Why spend all that money to end up with something that is no more excessive than an Accord?

But some people just want to experience the luxury car through its features. What's under the hood isn't that important. I'd say the new turbo 4-cylinder has many advantages to it. More power, more responsive, better fuel economy and lower emissions. What's not to like? The fact that two cylinders are missing?

Those who are so conscious of what is under the hood can always opt for a 535i or 550i or the new M5. There is definitely a market for the 528i 4-cylinder in the US IMO.

Quote from: Tave on October 04, 2011, 02:33:10 PMNow I'm exaggerating here for effect, because a BMW obviously is more luxurious than an Accord. However, you can't pretend the criticism about the engine options is baseless. You're talking about spending more money to get a super-duper suspension. Well, the people on Edmunds are talking about spending more money to get a super-duper engine. There's no reason to ridicule them for that, but you do it constantly.

Problem is that most of the guys slamming the car would never buy one in the first place. They're not the target market.

I'd say luxury buyers in the US are far more sophisticated and many will note and want the advantages of the new 4-cylinder 528i compared to the 6-cylinder it replaces.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Atomic

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 03, 2011, 12:23:30 PM
The C class gets love but still is always behind the 3 in all comparisons I have seen. However, the edge enjoyed by BMW is definitely smaller than it used to be.

i would love to own a 'benz, but there is something about the c-class that does not turn me on. i cannot put my finger on it. i think it could be that M-B appears is trying to make the "baby benz" look too much like a larger mercedes, causing it to be stubby in comparison to the better proportioned e-class, s-class, etc.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 05, 2011, 12:31:19 PM
Really?

Why are people willing to pay so much money for a Rolex and a Seiko costs much less and does the same thing: tell time.

Cause they're dumb and like to waste money?

No but seriously there is a huge difference in the level of craftsmanship etc between a Seiko and a Rolex. Not so much between a Bimmer and an Infiniti.

I would buy a 911 over a Cayman S/R any day of the week. But aside from looks/"cool factor" the Cayman is the better car by nearly any metric. Your personal preferences that happen to favor German cars don't make them objectively better.

CJ

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 05, 2011, 12:41:46 PM
Problem is that most of the guys slamming the car would never buy one in the first place. They're not the target market.

I'd say luxury buyers in the US are far more sophisticated and many will note and want the advantages of the new 4-cylinder 528i compared to the 6-cylinder it replaces.

LOLOLOLOL.  Most BMW drivers think their car has a V6.  I seriously doubt buyers of this car will care enough.