I'm opening this up to you guys

Started by Raza , October 07, 2011, 08:14:43 PM

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 11, 2011, 02:07:09 PM
Ah so you are partial to drop tops...

The NSX is an awesome car, I'm not sure how you can say that. What used, closed roof, sports car would you rather pay $30-40K for and depend on to get you to work every day?

:lol:

(Doesn't exist)

The NSX is an exotic and will cost a lot to purchase, maintain, and repair.  Why would you get an NSX when it was surpassed by more normal cars like the C5 or C6 Corvette, Boxster, Lotus Elise, and its own cousin, the S2000 ran it close?  All of them would be a lot cheaper to purchase and run.  And that brings me back to my original conclusion; you'd have to be a Honda (or NSX) fanatic, to choose it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 11, 2011, 02:41:32 PM
nooooooooooo

Okay, unless you really, really, really, love the NSX for some reason.  They cost too much to buy (prices have been going up) and there's nothing it can offer you that an Elise or Boxster for the same or less money can't. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 11, 2011, 02:36:34 PM
Hardtop is more pure.

Don't care.  I'm having a hard time thinking of a car that comes in both coupe and convertible/targa that I wouldn't take the open roof version over the coupe.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 11, 2011, 07:33:14 AM
The BMW isn't an economy car. The gas mileage blows.

LOL, I guess your sister screwed you, then, with that tiny engine. In the end, I'm man enough to put my money where my mouth is and buy the cool old car I want. You don't even have your own car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 11, 2011, 12:31:03 PM

Me personally in those events I would rent a U Haul van or some cheapo rental car. The economics of that pay off.

I would never do that (rent a car in my home town). It's not an economic issue it's just an inconvenience. If I thought I needed a 4 seater I'd own a 4 seater. 

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on October 11, 2011, 02:51:41 PM
:lol:

(Doesn't exist)

The NSX is an exotic and will cost a lot to purchase, maintain, and repair.  Why would you get an NSX when it was surpassed by more normal cars like the C5 or C6 Corvette, Boxster, Lotus Elise, and its own cousin, the S2000 ran it close?  All of them would be a lot cheaper to purchase and run.  And that brings me back to my original conclusion; you'd have to be a Honda (or NSX) fanatic, to choose it. 
The NSX won't cost a lot to purchase, maintain, or repair; at least no more than a C5, newish Boxster, etc. Each of those cars lacks something the NSX has (C5/C6= not as good handlers; Boxster = nowhere near as reliable; Elise = nowhere near as daily drivable, S2000= significantly slower).

NSX has Honda's reliability, enough power, sublime, textbook handling and DD usability + refinement. None of the cars on your list have that combo.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Lebowski on October 11, 2011, 08:05:18 PM
I would never do that (rent a car in my home town). It's not an economic issue it's just an inconvenience. If I thought I needed a 4 seater I'd own a 4 seater. 
Was it you or rotor who bought the 4Runner last year? I could have swore that was you.

68_427

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 12, 2011, 08:50:10 AM
The NSX won't cost a lot to purchase, maintain, or repair; at least no more than a C5, newish Boxster, etc. Each of those cars lacks something the NSX has (C5/C6= not as good handlers; Boxster = nowhere near as reliable; Elise = nowhere near as daily drivable, S2000= significantly slower).

NSX has Honda's reliability, enough power, sublime, textbook handling and DD usability + refinement. None of the cars on your list have that combo.

NSX parts are very expensive, and yes they do break.  Also a Z06 will embarrass a NSX.
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 68_427 on October 12, 2011, 08:53:34 AM
NSX parts are very expensive, and yes they do break.  Also a Z06 will embarrass a NSX.
The aluminum body is tricky and parts are more costly, but not more costly than say those on a Boxster. And yes the Z06 is faster but an NSX is still a low 13 second car. Thats quite a step up from a GLI or even a Boxster/S2000.

68_427

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 12, 2011, 08:59:52 AM
The aluminum body is tricky and parts are more costly, but not more costly than say those on a Boxster. And yes the Z06 is faster but an NSX is still a low 13 second car. Thats quite a step up from a GLI or even a Boxster/S2000.

I'll agree with that, but I've read about some driveline issues like axles going.  Hard to argue with the sound however.

http://www.youtube.com/user/oscardriver#p/u/10/PCAL41XyHZs
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 12, 2011, 08:50:10 AM

NSXs have gone up in price significantly in the last few years and it's still an exotic.  The engine might be plenty reliable, but other things that need to be replaced/repair/etc. are going to cost a hell of a lot of money.  There was an NSX owner on C&D back in the day, and I remember him telling me that a tune up for one out of warranty was something like $2,000.  I doubt it's much more reliable than a Boxster, and it's not like the C6 is a Crown Vic in the handling department. 

And as for the S2000?

Let's say realistically, I can afford to buy and run a mid 90s model, just from a quick look at Autotrader.  That model runs about 5.2 (5.5 on the high end) seconds to 60.  S2000?  I remember something around 5.5 (5.8 on the high end).  Not really a huge real world difference.  In 1997, an NSX ran 8:38 on the Nurburgring.  In 2000, an S2000 ran 8:39. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N%C3%BCrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times)

Look, I'm not saying the NSX is a bad car and I'm not even saying that I wouldn't love to have one, for many of the reasons you already stated.  But at current market prices, the value isn't there for me. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

What about a S2000 and TL Type-S (6 speed) mad tyte JDM vtak combo
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on October 12, 2011, 09:16:59 AM
What about a S2000 and TL Type-S (6 speed) mad tyte JDM vtak combo

I've driven a couple of TL-Ss (including a recent, but before they were too hideous to look at) 6 speed manual model.  Nothing worth writing home about. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Have to pay to play.

Another interesting option is the Z4 3.0 hardtop. Pricey but rare + practical + cool.

Here's my long list.

NSX
04-08 TSX
E46 330i ZHP
E90 330i
E46 M3
128i
G35
370Z
Cayman S
996 Carrera

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 12, 2011, 09:35:12 AM
Have to pay to play.

Another interesting option is the Z4 3.0 hardtop. Pricey but rare + practical + cool.

That's one of the few cases where I'd take the coupe over the roadster.  Awesome looking car.  

EDIT:  Also, "pay to play" is a poor excuse for buying a car that's not a good value. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on October 12, 2011, 09:32:21 AM
I've driven a couple of TL-Ss (including a recent, but before they were too hideous to look at) 6 speed manual model.  Nothing worth writing home about. 

That's somewhat disappointing.
'racecar is die'
no

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 12, 2011, 08:51:03 AM
Was it you or rotor who bought the 4Runner last year? I could have swore that was you.

It was me.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on October 12, 2011, 09:38:24 AM
That's one of the few cases where I'd take the coupe over the roadster.  Awesome looking car. 

EDIT:  Also, "pay to play" is a poor excuse for buying a car that's not a good value. 
For $30K, what do the other cars have that the NSX doesn't?

SVT666

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 12, 2011, 11:28:21 AM
For $30K, what do the other cars have that the NSX doesn't?

I think you're wrong in your assumption that it's going to be cheap to own and operate and maintain. Yes Honda has a reputation for reliability, yes the NSX has a reputation as reliable and low maintenance compared to similar exotics. But any way you slice it a mid-90s NSX is still a 15 y/o high end sports car - it's not going to be a cheap car to own. It's not something I'd want as my daily driver today. It's not, IMO, going to be more reliable than a significantly newer Boxster.

It's a great looking and historically significant car to be sure, but IMO the only advantages of a 15 y/o NSX compared to a late model C6 or Boxster are 100% subjective (yes you'll get a few style points).

sportyaccordy

IL just added an NSX to their long term test fleet so we will see. They also had a C5 Z06 so some comparisons can be made there.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 13, 2011, 07:17:10 AM
IL just added an NSX to their long term test fleet so we will see. They also had a C5 Z06 so some comparisons can be made there.

That certainly will be something to follow, and I will.  Already, though, the previous owner's maintenance costs are very promising. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rich

Well the trunk is leaking already... so we'll see :lol:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

68_427

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 13, 2011, 07:17:10 AM

They really loved the Z06. 
'racecar is die'
no